/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Yet another generic edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

7 picks the biome and environment of my last fort before update

Anyone knows if demons can become necromancers?
It would be a lot of FUN to have the leader of a goblin civ also be a necromancer.

joyous wilds forest or jungle

You have to be mortal to desire immortality

Apparently, tried to post but couldn't so I toggled my cosmetic filters and saw the warning, hilarious.

I suppose they wouldn’t read the secrets if I locked them in the same room as the book or brought it to them in adventure mode either?

>expecting jannies to understand what they're deleting

Nah, trying to read secrets as an immortal doesn't do anything. Could try just for fun, though.

What could some interesting expansions of just mortality/immortality be? First thing that comes to mind for me is some kind of death timer, either known or hidden

Will have to give it a try later, but it is a shame if it turns out that immortals can’t learn how to raise the dead.

I think I did something kind of fun with one of the races in my mod. I edited their aging raws so it looks like this:

[MAXAGE:10:90]

If you are unfamiliar with this value, the first number is when the creature officially enters old age and has a chance to die randomly from old age, and the second number is the hard cap on the creature's life span. This particular race was meant to be severely inbred and have a great deal of genetic defects because of it, so I wanted to reflect that by making it so their organs had a chance of just giving up rather quickly into their lifespan.

Interesting. Is there any way to alter these in-game? Thinking about what kind of cursed books I could sell to elven caravans when my dream of weaponized art music and literature can be realized

Unfortunately there isn't any way to do that that I'm aware of. I guess you could send masterfully written books praising the value of violence and such to incite murders. Dunno if that works yet though.

Hmm, maybe someday then. I hope that arc happens though. Especially curses that pass down genetically. Seeing a mutation curse move through the majority of some nearby civ would be glorious

I think stuff like that is intended to be possible, yeah.

When will the game be hard again?
When will trading actually require you to put effort in?
Why can I buy 30 years worth of food for 200 dorfs from one caravan?

>complaining about difficulty
The game was never that hard to begin with, it was either broken early enemies or not understanding game mechanics. Try challenging yourself, or better yet, take a break.

DF was never* hard.

*I don't actually know about the 2d versions, as I've never played them, but it actually used to be even easier to feed your dwarves with ridiculous caravan exploits back in 40d. Also, you're exaggerating quite a bit there, as that would be about 72,000 meals.

The game was never hard, and was never meant to be hard. It's just a test mode for toady's fantasy world generator.

Same shit as the other posters regarding difficulty. The game was never hard beyond bugs. It just has a steep learning curve. Its unlikely to ever be hard for you again since you're never going to be as shit at it as when you first started, short of doing a challenge fort or giving yourself a frontal lobotomy.

Hopefully the economy is going to get unfucked eventually along with prepared meals and food in general. But I'm not holding my breath since its probably going to be a long ways down the line with toady doing work on considerably more ambitious new features right now.

When swarms of deep worms path through your halls on their yearly migration

>half of my large dining hall is smooth
>a rather large deepworm tunnels in from the rough side and gets stuck
>it...It's pregnant??
>GET THOSE SQUADS IN THERE NOW
>b-but some worms breached our cistern and it's flooding the residential sector!
>DEEPWORM HAS BIRTHED
>motherofgod.gif

How can I change the jobs that are selected by default? I want to give all dwarves some crafting jobs.

Tempted to try out Oxygen Not Included. I don't think it'll scratch the itch like DF (mostly) does but maybe it's worth checking out. On the other hand it'll probably just sit unplayed after an initial couple binges, like rimworld

>tfw choosing a baron
This is the hardest part of my game yet.
How do you guys choose nobles?

I chose one of my starting seven who likes helms. It seems that the biggest consideration is really what types of items they like, since they're going to be mandating their production frequently, along with forbidding the export of them. So my baron (now a duke) tells me to make helms and armor stands every few weeks and the helms are actually useful and the armor stands can at least be used to decorate rooms.

Well I just finish making another Dark Tower Race, a species of hairy frog-monsters that are size 40000 with a 30 year lifepsan but make babies like no tomorrow and can spit webs.

I'm gonna go to sleep now but I am not looking forward to the next two, because this is where things get tricky. I'm gonna try and add amorphous nightmare creatures that can turn you into one of them but can't do much else. Making them look how I envision will be tedious probably but doable. Its making sure they are only good at assimilating that will be annoying. The second race will be especially tricky since I want them to be abstract otherdimensional fractal entities that have a long gestation period but balloon in size and threat level when they reach maturity. Obviously this will be difficult, but I think its worth trying. Will post progress tomorrow if nothing holds me up, which is something that might happen.

I choose him from birth and keep him confined with the troglodytes and troll prison until his coronation

How do I use poets? I accepted a petition from an Opossum Woman Poet bc I thought it would be cool to have her but I don't know how to put her to work?

Until they petition for citizenship (chance after 2 years in-game I think) you cant, they'll just automatically perform whenever. Only after they are full citizens and not just residents you can give them labors.

ow okay thanks

To that user who suggested trying 0.34, what's the major difference from current version? i only picked up DF recently, i don't want to miss any major feature.
as for crashing and fps death, it seems that if i keep my fort compact and don't dig too much down it works fine so far.
can i change the max Z level? if i can generate a shallow map (around 30 levels) with enough material and a lava layer, and keep the population at around 70 i think it may work

>buy exotic nuts from elves so as to appease dwarfs who consider those their favorites
>cook two types into meals
>all nuts and tree seeds disappear before the rest can be cooked
I checked, my seed cap is 3000 and I had less than 2600 seeds in my fort. This should not be happening. This has happened before and it's getting quite annoying. The elves got cheated too though, since I paid with bags full of fruit pits which are now empty.

This, mandates are based off of things they like, so pick a dwarf who likes a useful weapon or body armor piece.

maybe you put them in with your refuse pile because things in that pile degrade and decompose pretty quickly.

No, I'm talking about all the tree seeds and nuts in the fortress in multiple different rooms, including the ones in the depot that I already traded to the elves who are still there. It's the automatic seed culling, but it's being triggered when my seeds are still far below the number that it's supposed to happen at.

how many days left in october?

40 lol

October hasn’t even begun yet.

At least 245.

trannies

Where'd you get this sneak-peak of the graphics update?

He he he

>Update was supposed to come out October
>We are now a third of the way through November
>Still not out

Just another deadline disaster from Team Great Predictions ha ha ha

Seconding this shit right here, Emperor is the GOAT.

forgot I had the game unpaused and almost all of my dwarfs dehydrated. RIP The Grand Gate. It was going to be basically a huge tavern settlement, maybe I can still make it work but I need some defenses up quick. Every time the liason brings news in the past couple forts, some nearby civ The Hell of Stretching has conquered a few more sites. It's only a matter of time, and now there's a lot of work to be done.

olngö

_________________TRANNIES_____________

prove it

Oy vey delet this

That's me. It was completely vanilla, they were just your average wild cave Trogs, who I decided I'd... civilize.

>decide to try out direforged on recommendation from anons a few threads ago
>switch tileset over to ASCII from the ugly ass washed out bullshit it comes with by default
>get in game
>all the stone is represented by a's and other annoying shit, can't tell what anything is anymore
Did I fuck up switching tilesets? I tried doing it manually, and having the LNP that comes with direforged do it, and I get the same results with both.
How the fuck do I fix this? I don't wanna play with some eyesore of a tileset, but this is also a major eyesore.

you're most likely using raws adapted to your old tilesets.

what is your most common raws modification

i used to often make extra weapon types available for my dwarves, was interesting playing with long swords, lashes, bows, etc

I like to make it so I can build with different materials, this way I can make all my furniture out of bone for a spooky fort

what's your population cap?

Comfy

How old is your fortress? it seems comfy indeed but not getting siege'd can be boring

I usually embark in evil areas with few towers around so I don't complain about the lack of fun.
I usually play one fort around 15-20 years and drop them due to some stupid shit like flooding the fortress with hordes of undead that escaped from the arena.

>generate fucked up worlds for shits and giggles
>come across this

... wut

>have immortal creatures with eternity to develop and refine their social skills
>put them in a mortal civ
>they quickly usurp the natural species as rulers because they're so charismatic they keep getting elected

only way to fix it is make it so that only members of a certain caste can be in a position.

I increase it slowly. First few years cap at 20. Slowly manually add migrant waves of 4 or 5 at a time by increasing the cap. I stop at around 50 dwarves

no no no, thats not the fucked up part that used to be a Dwarf, the Gobbo is the fucked up part

from what I can tell a city on the edge of their lands got filled up with goblin civ members somehow, its more goblin than dwarf but still a dwarf city

In 54, midspring, (22nd of Slate) the vile brute Vucar Ashtunneled abducted Litast from Wheelssculpture. In The rampage of Vucar Ashtunneled in Wheelssculpture.
In 54, midspring, (22nd of Slate) Litast was imprisoned by the vile brute Vucar Ashtunneled. In The rampage of Vucar Ashtunneled in Wheelssculpture.
In 54, midautumn, (8th of Sandstone) the vile brute Vucar Ashtunneled changed Litast from a Dwarf into a Vile Brute.

>still no weeaboo OP image
next thread had better start with anime or I'm telling Toady to delay the update for another month

>average american 20 years in the future

Oh that's just a quirk of Legendsviewer. When a creature is turned into a vampire/werewolf/other form of monster, their entry is retroactively changed to reflect that. Looking at the list, we can see Litast ruled from year 14 to 55. And according to what you posted he was changed during the year 54. So what likely happened is that he was a perfectly normal dwarf before being kidnapped and transformed on the last year of his rule, and quickly ousted afterward. Legendsviewer just retroactively changed his designation so it appears he was always a monster when that isn't the case.

and it is beautiful

okay i'm convinced, i'll play with 50 max.

Some graphical tilesets make changes to the way natural stone walls display. Usually you can just copy over a vanilla inorganic_stone.txt and fix it that way. If your mod changed anything else in that file you could either lose those changes or (reversibly) break your save, so due diligence and all that.

Whatever you say muhammad

Rimworld

gr-graphic pack, Urist?

Cant do it. Wish I could but I just dont get right feel without dat dwarven industry

Go

I'll roll

It's only a matter of time.

Rolling for Fun

You don't need to give poets labors to have them do poetry, though. They'll naturally spend all their time in whatever bars you have, occasionally reciting poems, and you can also formally assign them there from the location interface.

ROLLING
ill report back with year 2 results

So I'm working on the converter race now. They are weird amorphous blobs so they won't wear clothing/armor, which should make them easier to kill as I intended. I've decided the method of transmutation will be chitinous darts containing a virus that rewrites the target's DNA, resulting in a painful transformation just minutes after infection. Transmission can happen with even the most minute contact with skin, so it can be avoided with proper full-body covering, or playing a race rhat is either [UNDEAD] or [NOT_ALIVE]

roll

Well it would seem the dart idea won't work, it needs to splatter for the CONTACT syndrome to work. I'll have to readjust things.

Rolling

Desert, Untamed Wilds, No adamantine, 25mil dorfbux
Im gonna change that to No Metal, seeing as having no adamantine is really not much of a restriction.

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FLUID:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen rluth fluid]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen rluth fluid]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:rluth fluid]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:rluth fluid]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling rluth fluid]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling rluth fluid]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:DARK_GREEN]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:rluth infection]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:RLUTH:ALL]
[SYN_CONTACT]
[SYN_CLASS:WERECURSE]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0]
[CE:CREATURE:RLUTH]

[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:shoot a infectious glob]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
[CDI:MATERIAL:VENOM:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE:LIQUID_GLOB]
[CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:500]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:10]
[CDI:VERB:shoot a virus glob:shoot a virus glob:virus glob]

For some reason this interaction doesn't work. I can select the ability in the natural abilities section in adventure mode, but nothing happens. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Desert of Bones is a rad name

alright so having No Metal kind of disallows me from woodcutting or mining. So maybe No Metal with the exception of tools. also I am not allowed to export them, and they don't count towards the total wealth. And if I want a woodcutter I need to import an axe from a caravan. I plan to have a leather-clad militia of wrestlers.
hell yeah

so what's the most interesting thing to come of the whole fake identities thing in the next update?

spies scouting out the locations of your artifacts and then reporting back to their goblin masters

possibly bands of thieves infiltrating your forts to pull off artifact heists.

nvm I got it working

probably companions you've recruited in adventure mode stabbing you in the back and taking the artifact for themselves.

>artifact heists.
we /payday 2/ nao
>probably companions you've recruited in adventure mode stabbing you in the back and taking the artifact for themselves.
rad

When your incompetent band of socially awkward legendary warriors manage to piss of the entire continent in their quest for the mythical woolen pickaxe and tops it of by desecrating a couple of temples n their search pissing of a couple of elder beings and gods.

Cant wait for the update

Rolling

>female fantasy character
>has no armor covering stomach
ebry tiem