/domg/ - Dominions General

Ichtyid Edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 3000 units, 900 spells and 400 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/wjbSA98Y

>Drawfaggotry
dominionsdraws.imgur.com/

>DOMINIONS 5 IS OUT.

>Where do I get it?
Currently only available on Steam.
store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

>Manual
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5manual.pdf
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5tables.pdf

>Mod inspector
larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1212948582

>Debug mod
dropbox.com/s/gc9io6paebo4pj3/Debug_501.zip?dl=0

>How do I change the fonts?
Replace guifont.ttf, guifont_fancy.ttf and guifont_texty.ttf in the game's 'data' folder (C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Dominions5\data usually).

>Is there an easier way to play multiplayer?
Yes.
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dominions-4-pbem-manager-new-stuff.104015/
Works for Dominions 5 just as well.

>Completed games
Submit them here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuclmaCiRo8vcTztsKjPJxnBgRDE-E1uNvE5j0x5wDZMMhRA/viewform
Results:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OxILAa3Y_O7Vk2NFhKAAQfStHqh1WJXMkGCim9sQ_ns/edit#gid=1292233344

>OP pastebin
Just copypaste it and link the previous thread below.
pastebin.com/RbFWcFcU

>Previous Pantokrator:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-wPulKZWRdc&list=PLG9FZ5QOwlJgwQhlshR15m6OVhkUjz3fy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>two different EA games
>Vanheim takes quickness+blood surge and is running over a dude before the year's out
>Helheim takes a small shitty bless and is immediately shoved into a locker by Vanheim
Is it the same two dudes or do Van/Hel naturally attract a chad/virgin duality

Someone make an EA game and I guarantee you you'll have it half full by the end of the night.

Helheim was a mistake.

Is there a list online of all the available magic boosters? I want to create a few WIZARD armies.

Can someone suggest good pretender/scales for mictlan? I want to summon demons from hell

Click the boosters column.

anyone know if dom5 is going to go on sale?

Not for the Holiday season.

it was 10% off during release but idk about the future

Alright, thanks. Didn't even know it came out yet until just recently. A little tight on funds now.

Atlantis this time

Can I get a ~10 hour extension? I'm going to be travelling tomorrow and didn't get the chance to do my turn tonight

You keep both versions of the mod in your mod folder

It doesn't; the if possible basically means if it can cast anything. It always moves and always tries to cast.

The real downside is that you often don't want your mages to walk into melee

I think it's intended for beefy mages that want to be up close so they can use the nasty short-ranged spells. Something like a Rudra can do a lot more damage spamming Flame Eruption than attacking. Unfortunately, Advance and Cast mostly results in the mage wasting time on useless spells and never actually get in range for the good stuff in my experience.

How long does it take to gitgud at this game?

Play multiplayer

it depends

1000 hours

>Can someone suggest good pretender/scales for mictlan? I want to summon demons from help

Please Help senpais

Unknown because nobody has done it yet.

as Mictlan you shouldn't be afraid to take dump scales for extra magic paths because your dominion doesn't spread automatically, and you have some of the best sacreds in the game

>dom5 isn't on sale
My fucking wallet can't handle this. I guess reworking the entire combat system is pretty huge but there's only, what, 2 or 3 new nations? Fucking Jewwinter.
I will almost certainly buy this anyway.

F5W10S6B5

+Attack, Fire Resistance, Quickness, Luck, Blood Surge, Strength

Luck1, all the rest trashed

bump

how could MA Ermor get fucked by incarnate blesses when they pretty much have to take an awake pretender?

3 new nations (one for each era) and a new nation that lasts through every era on the way. What is the final count on nations added to Dominions 4 anyway?

Thanks!

Good pretender?

Anyone know what the new nation that lasts all the way through is? I hope it's something cool. I'd really hope to see another non-human nation like C'tis become relevant in the game.

Is the "Defense" water bless effect a good bless effect to stack multiple times? Or is it better to take the Quickness/frost weapons/resistances pretty much always?

Yes, but you need to pay more attention to your dominion spread with this build (ie - keep a bubble where your dom is secured, and then otherwise use blood sacrifice to push back enemy dom without raising your own) which is more micro intensive than a more normal-style imprisoned minor blesses build

+def is the best water bless if you aren't going full W10 for most sacreds, and stacking it is plentyfine for good sacreds

they're Greek giants apparently, that get gianter throughout the ages

It depends, taking it once can be good for rainbow blesses on various units, taking it twice is only really worth it on units that already have high defense or avoidance, like sacred cav or elves.

Thanks, but who should I pick as a pretender?

Oracle is the only really affordable one

Smoking Mirror or one of the immobile fountains

Mekone, in
>EA
>giant hoplites
>sites are Forge of the Cyclopes and City of Marble and Brass

>LA
>even larger giants that have take their inspiration from the various monstrous giants of Greek mythology (Hecatoncheires or that one with the serpents for feet for examplet)

I think it was mentioned that they use XPshape pretty extensively and there was another mechanic that was changed in the most recent patch that is rumored to have something to do with them.

Are titans actually useful now or is it still 'awake beast expander' or 'immobile scales/big bless' pretender meta.

Okay, Tried making it, doesn't seem possible

They're still pretty shitty

I think they're overpriced. It's cheaper to build your bless from scratch with a rainbow than with the paths the titans already have on them, and the physical chassis can only be in one place at a time so being priced at the equivalent of 2-4 scales is a little ridiculous.

It's F4* not F5

Ah okay, changed major fire ot minor fire then.

Got -3 in almost every scale

yolo

They have their uses they seem a bit better with the earlier shittier brand weapons at cons 2. If you can equip them early on they can fend off bless rushes with good enough support, they are also good as big not die to earthquake spellcasters should you decide to take them imprisoned but otherwise not really.

It is in my opinion the strongest EA Mictlan build for any size game

Wait, I only have 1 holy point which only lets me recruit one sacred per turn....

the more i look at this game the more i want to play it, but it just seems like so much to take in all at once and the multiplayer just seems like it's unoptimized and takes way too long.
wat do

You done fucked up with the chassis then, because with the oracle (the fountain thingy) you should have 6 or 7 dom

oh, I went with smoke mirror dude, otherwise the bless was unaffordable with oracle

Just play it

I've literally used this build. Well, I took +2 morale instead of fire resistance, but that was a mistake because fire resistance is better. Point is, it is absolutely possible.

They're less bad, mainly because the monsters got nerfed. But if you want a strong bless, a bunch of non-incarnate blesses on a rainbow works better than 3 incarnate blesses on a titan.

Obviously immobile does scales better and monsters do expansion better.

Never mind, I think I misunderstood the new bless system. I assumed (incarnate) meant I couldn't have a dormant or asleep pretender to get the bless - I now understand it means that incarnate blesses just don't work until it wakes up.

You do take it awake.

Are you going H3 instead of C2 maybe? That's a scale difference that could account for the missing points.

Are all the blitz games played over one session?

No. Most are, but sometimes games get put on hold and picked back up later

>You do take it awake.
That's why I'm asking for help ;) instead of trying to figure it out myself

Oh shit it is awake and has all the stats, sweet

People will give pretender/nation advice if you ask. Some things will depend on what nations you meet and such, but it should be enough to get you started.

PBEM multiplayer seems slow (and is a bit slow for the first few turns), but it's actually a really nice way to play a turn-based game.

You can easily spend an hour on some turns, especially when learning. Doing that a couple of times a day is plenty of time to spend on a single game, and lets you really think about what you're doing rather than having to rush your turn.

Okay, last question - research order and army set up?

Merry Christmas!

Blood 4 first always. Blood 1 is your only early game magic requirement since it gives you imps
Then conj 2 for wolves, conj 3 for jaguars if you're being pressed and aren't able to build up your blood hunting infrastructure
Cons 4 for dousing rods (just about doubles mictlan priest efficiency)

Army setup is kinda harder to explain, but here - youtube.com/watch?v=-wPulKZWRdc&list=PLG9FZ5QOwlJgwQhlshR15m6OVhkUjz3fy

Thanks!

Titans are still shit, good monster expanders are generally more expensive and imprisoned humanoid rainbow bless + scales can be quite good now.

how does mind vessel for EA R'lyeh work?

host mage gets your big boy catfish's magic paths
if he dies, catfish is fine and can do it again

but who can I cast it on? It doesn't appear to let me cast it on slave mages, unless they also need the magic paths required to cast it. Or does the host mage need to cast it?

Mind Vessel can be used on any of your insane coastal recruit mages. It will copy all your aboleth's ASTRAL PATHS ONLY and slap them onto the coastal recruit (they have to be same province as aboleth) if the COASTAL RECRUIT dies nothing bad happens if the ABOLETH WHO CAST IT DIES then the coastal recruit dies. Each aboleth can only have a single mind vessel.

thanks senpai

Honestly almost feel like blood surge and blood bond should swap cost and incarnate status. Surge is so good.

>tfw you get a brilliant idea but pursuing it is moderately counterproductive to your overall gameplan

really conflicted here tbqh.

I keep getting told if it sounds cool, do it

So, do it

alright

Time for DOOM GLAIVES

What do you guys equip succubi with? Do you just send them in raw?

If you're willing to put in the time to learn the basics, then just jump in.
The game is really rewarding. Every match in which you're an actual contender by the midgame feels incredibly epic.

So this is a meme strat I've just now come up with.
>T'ien Chi has cheap mages
>spam them and give them bodyguards (high morale when guarding commanders)
>give them a few boosters and tell them to spam spells

Surprisingly it worked against this indie province, though I should probably build more chaff, tough summons, or get some of the air mages to spam phantasmal troops at the start of combat to provide a shield.

Is this strategy any good? Anyone try it before on a mass scale or is it just stupid?

committing that many mages to expand is probably a bad idea regardless of how cheap they are. If you're fighting another player you'll probably want the most efficient raiding parties possible and you'll want to throw big stacks of frontliners at them anyway, nullifying the usefulness of the bodyguards.

Done

True, expansion would be extremely slow. Taking an awake expansion-focused pretender would be much better for actually getting more provinces. The mages could just be a nice way to actually make an army, especially if you used some communion powers later on.

who needs research
man I'd love to be your neighbor

yeah they probably would as support, but the bodyguard strat doesn't seem especially effective.

Against real players, using a large number of mages that all have bodyguards DOES work against flyers or when you are using a summon-spam strategy (skelespam being the generically best/most common), but this actually serves a different purpose - the idea is to keep the troops on your side of the field.

Against flyers, you use the overlapping boxes of troops to form a wall that a line formation of fighters behind them can't get around quickly, meaning that the flyers will have already surrounded your troops before they can run past your mages.

For skelespam, it basically just prevents your mages from getting gibbed by flyers/flankers/whatever before your skelespam can cover them or after equake or a similar effect is used to clear the skeletons. Best used with D3+ casters that can provide a consistent stream, since D2 skelespam has only 3 casts before they take a nap, and kinda needs to be either enough on its own to take the province (eg 2 D2 spectators raiding with a ghost or whatever) or in conjunction with regular troops that the skeletons are bolstering (eg ktonian reanimators being used as 15 infantry instead of as 2 shadowblasts while crossbows and living infantry go to work)

Either way, this sort of deployment is irrelevant to expansion strategy because it requires too many mages.

Turns out I did my turn anyways because who needs sleep before traveling

New to the game, am I understanding this right? All the resources are obviously necessary to create armies and such, but in general;
>Order is for gold, which is good for mages
>Productivity is for resources, which is good for heavy units
>Growth is good for high recruitment points, which is good for calvary

Also; what's your favorite pretender chasis/physical form?

also this.

there's a reason nobody really does anything like this my man, and it's because it's not a great idea. You can try it in MP if you don't believe me.

Oh, but while I'll probably need an extension for next turn, I assume that'd happen anyways because Christmas

You got order and growth mixed up, though high population increases every resource. Do note that while certain types of units do cost more gold, resources or rec points, some also have completely arbitrary values.

Divine Emperor is my favourite pretender, but he's not really that good I don't think

>mfw I reached turn 9 without encountering another player but now I have 3 expansion parties on my borders on the same turn

Does it bother anyone else that the Divine Emperor doesn't have arm slots? I understand the feet thing, because magical boots have to be on the ground to work, but why can't he hold a scepter or something?

You have order and growth swapped.

Also, the Order:Prod thing is a bit of a trap - there is essentially some optimal ratio between the two that you have to adhere to for troop recruitment. Some nations, like Mictlan, can dump Sloth to 3 regardless because their troops need no resources. Others like LA Atlantis or MA Ulm will want Turmoil 1 and Prod 3 because they're always res gated. For some nations, however, it's map dependent, meaning that you can't always just look up how much order v prod you need. It's a very thoughtless system right now

Look at his arms. He gotta keep em in their sleeves to look cool.

because he's royal and above carrying weapons
it's why he gets 4 misc slots too

>map move 16
imagining those dudes jogging along a mountain trail with empruh on their shoulders

Thanks for the advice. Related to this topic; is there any kind of guide or general rule for how many/how powerful you want your mage support for your armies to be?

What about meeting halfway; not making an army of exclusive mage/bodyguard but an army with less soldiers then normal but more mages then normal?

It Depends super hard, unfortunately, so there's no one guide.

It's possible to vary the mage:troop ratio, but it usually depends on what you're planning to do.

As some other user before mentioned, if you're using skellyspam you just need a few soliders to set up front so your mages don't get pincushioned by arrows or rushed by cavalry. Elementals and other battle summons are similar.

You can just copper arm his shit up

You always want some kind of meat shield, even if you're skelespamming or otherwise calling in a lot of bodies. Mages typically don't see much use beyond research and sitesearching in the early game because your best shit is usually locked behind research. Only once your mages are actually useful to have along should you pry them from their research, and then only as many as needed, because the research race is always real.

How's Yomi in 5? I used to do really good in 4 with them, but I'm not too confident with the changes.

It's a very different nation, but somewhat stronger overall most likely

Retinue items.

>tfw you're sure you meet the same person in two different games
>tfw you're next door neighbours and good friends with them both times

damn that feels pretty good. dominion brolliances are pretty great.