>experiences

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0x7cWHaawjM
youtu.be/c_Ea-lGbam8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pros : do anywhere
Cons : no gains

Pretty much.

I solely do callisthenics, I really enjoy the progress I made and have learnt to do some really impressive moves. If you only want to look better it's not really going to help you though.

>no gains
Muscle size yeah, but goals being strength and flexibility?

>pros
You can do it in many places.
You can learn cool moves if you stick with it.

>cons
If you want to get buff, it'll take ages compared to weights.
Progression isn't as linear as with free weights.

Depends on your goals. It is absolutely possible to gain muscle with calisthenics. Not as effectively as with weights, but calisthenics does not equal no gains.

I gained about 45lbs of mass in two years from doing calisthenics.

>do anywhere

Not really, to do a proper routine I would always want access to a pull up bar, gymnastic rings, and paralettes

See

Progression is harder with bodyweight stuff as you'll have to learn more complicated variations of what you were already doing.

With free weights you just slap a heavier weight on and you're set.

OP here,

>situation
been lifting weights for 5 years now and made massive gains from it (i was a twig), doing calisthenic for functional strength and flexibility for ju-jitsu.

Pros: anywhere, anytime
Cons: depends on what your definition of con and your goals...

Don't expect to be as strong as a strong man. You'll have a different type of strength compared to them but you won't be throwing heavy weights are

Unless you're on roids you won't be getting huge either but you wont have any issues getting ripped

Its easy to overkill your joints... So many excercises involes your elbows and a majority of bodyweight is with upperbody so be careful and do something stupid like 100 reps everyday with push ups.

Experience: I suffer medial epicondylitis from pumping out way too many pull ups, dips, push ups, chin ups, hspu, etc... I was working out nearly every other day. I felt my muscles could adapt quicker than my joints. Looking back, there was no good reason for it. I just enjoyed the pump and its great to do that and be at the beach

Gymnastics rings and paralettes are useful, but not essential. Most exercises that can be done on rings or paralettes, can also be done on the ground/floor or parallel bars.

Sorry for typos i meant to say don't do something stupid like 100 reps! Work toward more advanced movements instead like muscle ups, planches, hspu, etc

Conny bitte geh wieder Jackos schwanz lutschen

Cons: not really the best idea when it comes to bulking up compared to weights, progression isn't as easy to follow as it is with weights, its super fun.
Pros: you still can get a great body while doing it, you get a lot more control over your body since you learn how to deal with it and its weight only, chance of an injury is really low unless you do dumb shit like attempting muscle ups with terrible grip strength, flexibility increases (yoga is better for it tho), its super fun, you can do it almost anywhere, its free, strength gains are real, girls dig it more than weights and its actually really fucking healthy for your joints compared to weights.

The conclusion is simple. You want to bulk up, go for the gym. If you are ok with ottermode, borderline builtfat and ottermode or borderline athletic and ottermode body and you want to work out for fun and health reasons, go for the calisthenics.

You can do both, but in my opinion yoga+running/cycling/swimming+calisthenics is god tier.

> You cant get buff with bodyweight workouts

Does Adam Raw look dyel to you?

You will stay dyel with calisthenics if you only do push ups and pull ups.

You need to do planche and handstand variations/dips, and add weight to your body.

Why do you think fat people always have huge legs when they cut down.

Again, Adam raw barely touches any weight

genuinely asking, what kind of exercises do people do who don't get gains through calisthenics?

I did calisthenics before and had gains. just do the exercises slower and put more focus and stress on the muscles you're working out. i've tried out all kinds of shit and people who say calisthenics won't get them any gains don't have a clue about what the human body can actually achieve

If you do it right, you can get buff.

video and pic related

youtube.com/watch?v=0x7cWHaawjM

>If you do it right(and take steroids), you can get buff.

Fixed that for you

I can understand how Adam Raw (pic) might be on roids (even though im pretty sure hes not).

But if you think the guy in the video is on roids too then your comment is disregarded because it means you are dyel.

They also lift weight. They say they only do calisthenics to appeal to gullible people like (you)

I have a question. Once you get gains from lifting weights, can you retain them with good cali?

bullshit, 80% of their workouts consists of bodyweight exercises.
They dont even have a gym membership.
Yeah they pick up a barbell from time to time and do some OHP stuff but thats it.

Dont fool yourself fgt, i've been watching these 2 guys since ages.

>even though im pretty sure hes not
lol

>being on gear means you must be xboxhueg

lal

Adam Raw does a lot of weighted pullups and Dominik Sky uses a weight vest.

Pros:
>do anywhere
>mobility skyrockets if done right
>many of the variations can make you look total badass
>has a lot more application and carry over to everyday life and sports (why "conditioning" involve a lot of bodyweight exercises)

Cons:
>hardest to gain muscle mass (if this is your goal)
>have to get creative if you want to increase difficulty
>difficulty between one variation to the next can easily skyrocket and it's hard to do the next variation without resorting to lifting weights

weighted pullups and weighted vest pushups/dips still count as callisthenics.growing up as a poor kid in greece most of us did pullups with a dumbbell between our legs and pushups with our little cousins on our backs.

My experiences: my goal is mobility while building strength. Hence calisthentics is perfect for me. I don't discount weights though. I do lift at least once a week. Sometimes, the carry over from lifting helps you out a lot with progressions. You can always add a weight vest to standard calisthentic exercises, but I don't really like doing that.

>weighted pullups and weighted vest pushups/dips still count as callisthenics
Yes, but not bodyweight.

>Callisthenics thread?

>tfw finally able to do one handstand push-up on gym rings

good job bro i hope ill be able to do that in a few months

>implying I was discussing the thread title

Pros
-Cool skills
-fun to learn them and accomplish. same as hitting a higher number on a lift.
-more mobile + flexible
-no cost of traveling to gym (if you have a home setup)
-can work out anywhere but less efficient. (like in hotel HSPU but no back/front lever)
-if you're really an autistic you won't have to be around others in gym
-no cost of gym membership

cons
-not so linear progression. Must know what comes next.
-no gains. Move onto planche after push ups lmao. move on to back lever / front lever if you can do lots of pull ups.
-"joint overkill". if you feel like you have pain you deload or stop like with any other injury.
-"won't get huge". Force is fucking force. if you progress in the movements the the fulcrum distance increases means more force.....
-progression is harder. Yes. but not that much harder. One could say it's easier cos you don't have to load plates onto a bar. Only have to stick out a leg. Harder cos have to learn what to do next.
-hard for legs. best you can do is pistols and natural hamstring curls.
-"hard to get mass". I don't really understand this. Again force is force. you apply a load and the muscle responds to the stimulus.
-"have to get creative". yep. but you can get away with being dumb and just going on the internet where someone else has already worked it out.

at the end of the day both are good. one is more brain dead than the other (for filthy casuals, noobs and retards. which is the population of Veeky Forums desu. :^) ) and one needs more of a brain.

>I'm smarter because my method is worse

Been doing calisthenics only for 2 years,a pullup bar attached to the wall being my only equipment, started in about 58kg skinny with a little fat enough to never see my abs, now i'm about 70kg, in my first year i had progress like crazy, got to the point of doing pplpplx split with 1000 pushups on push day and 500 pullups on pull day or pullups with 40kg for 6reps, the thing is after that amazing year of gains it stopped completely, not even progression, upping calories,increasing tension, lowering reps, decreasing tempo, etc helped. I'm building my own rack now hopefully to see progress again.pic related is me, i know it looks like crap but it's what i could accomplish
So imo:
>pros:
-amazing for begginers
-builds mental strenght as you cannot lower the intensity of the exercise, ex dips
-can do it anywhere
-if done right you can do amazing tricks
>cons:
-bad for long term size gains
-cannot target every muscle
-very hard progressions
-legs are hard to train unless you do some kind of high intensite hill sprints or box jumps

nice

>builds mental strenght as you cannot lower the intensity of the exercise, ex dips
>mental strength
okay buddy

I like doing callisthenics at home or when I am on the road. It's a neat way to stop your muscles deteriorating if you don't have a gym around.

Other then that doing a front lever for 10s or being able to planche is extremly satisfying. A lot of callisthenics exercises have a nice progression to them.

Also, being able to squat 3pl8 and not being capable of doing 10 pull-ups is hysterically bad.

I can't really go full callisthenics since jumping around shirtless on a playground here will make people call the police.

thanks
i meant that when you start either you're able to do a dip or you're not, and when you do your first one you have to slowly progress to the point you can do more, you can't just simply do assisted dips or assisted work in general, if you can't bench 225 there's no problem you just lower the weight, here it's different.

>pros
- Easy to get in. Just fall on the floor face down and do some push ups.
- a lot of static hold which is not popular in lifting
- arguably better grip workout

>cons
- no you fucking can't do it anywhere, proper cali setup requires a lot of stuff, for some people even pull-up bar is hard to get
- progress can be hard to incredibly hard

>experience

i've been doing cali and various gymnastic\bodyweight for a bit more than 10 years now. It's fun and good workout if you plan your routine correctly. I don't really get the appeal of funky gymnastic stuff(not to mention risk of injury) and i really dont get whole cali vs lifting. You can and should work on both.

Also as people above mentioned, you still can and need to use weighted vests and stuff like that, so and the end of a day, it's not that much different from lifting. By excluding either you just limiting yourself.

It's more about your goals and what do you want to achieve, really. Cali or lifting is not that much important, you can adjust either to give you your desired functionality.

Sup Veeky Forums, ive been doing the Startbodyweight.com program for about 5 months now.
Veeky Forums will probably roast me but im pretty happy with my progress so far atleast, so i guess i could say it works ok atleast for beginners.

Looking good man, how are your progressions going?

Thanks bro, my progressions are going pretty good.
Im kinda struggling with the archer pullups so im currently just doing weighted wide grip pullups.

pussy

>Doing ju-jitsu

i've lost 70 lbs over the past year and a half with the only thing left is a gut fat after going down from 245 lbs to 170 lbs. Still like 20% body fat though

I'm not looking to get buff but over the summer and next year if i eat at TDEE or deficit can i get rid of my gut and go purely for a lean body

Archers are very good for the one arm pullup and the typewriter, but i find that everything wide feels wrong when doing them, still the best for the one arm pullups are the weighted pullups in general especially commando

>i know it looks like crap but it's what i could accomplish
daily reminder that your body is EASILY in the top 0.1% of the world, and that's even when ignoring people who can't help it having shit health (i.e. all the asians and africans that are too poor to receive proper nutrition and training)

Your progress is not shit user, it's great.

Really appreciate that user, every time i look into the mirror i feel like shit, it's good to know someone thinks otherwise

routine?

want to get into calisthenics but i have a fat gut and upper body strength is nil

It's just an objective statement, like you categorically look very fit and healthy. Be careful and don't let body dysmorphia creep up on you user. By no sane standards do you look like shit.

I do it. It takes time to build a nice physique oh and forget about legs.
A very big con is the community. There is no history, no culture, only angsty teens that are one and a half meters of height and weight 50 kg thinking they are some hot shit.
The moves that usually impress people that got no idea about it are usually really easy. I could rant on forever but it's not worth it.

This is wrong.

When i started i could do 2 half pullups, don't know your level, but if you are fat i'd start by doing cardio, but if you can do at least 10 pushups, start from there, do for example 4-5 sets of pushups till failure, don't worry that much about form, you'll get that later, if possible also do crunches, running and squats, people like to hate on crunches but it's an amazing exercise for beginners, repeat that 3x a week and as soon as you start seeing that exercises become too easy, start doing splits for example push/pull/legs or upper/lower etc, also check startbodyweight.com i never tried it but heard it's good and you have progressions.
My routine depends on the day i used to do high reps as mentioned but now it's something like:
-One arm pushups 5x6-7
-Planche tuck holds 5x10-15s
-Knuckle decline PU 5-10(depends on the day)x15
-Weighted Dips with 20-30kg 5-10x10-15
-Core training aka front lever, leg raises, plank etc
Pull:
-One arm pullup training 5x6-7
-Weighted pullup variation 5x8 with 20kg
-Hammer grip pullup 5x10
-Core training
Legs:
-Pistol squats 5x10
-Squats 5x50
-Weighted lunges 5x15
-Core training
It varies from day to day but thats an example
Thanks the thing is i was driven by results, now that i don't progress anymore i loose motivation and start skipping workouts, also i didn't know that was called body dysmorphia but sounds pretty accurate

Why the fuck would a girl do xalibstehtics?
>only works on upper body
>the only men that do it are black

thanks

No reason to get too complicated in the beginning. Stick with squats, push-ups, & Pullups until you master them.

youtu.be/c_Ea-lGbam8