Who /bjj/ here?

Who /bjj/ here?

I've been considering getting into it as a form of self defense (inb4 fags argue how practical it is or not), a fun work out, and as a sport.
I figured if I got really good it'd be a way to talk to qt's and offer to show them a thing or two then fugg.
Friends and I used to practice it back in high school, was really fun with the big booty / titty girls that thought they were tough (some were really good though.) Not sure how it would be as an adult in my mid-20's though.

What do you think, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/iZDQ0-Zbpt8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fucking go for it man, you can do bjj at any age, I recommend the gracies. They do a lot of self-defense stuff but they also teach you the sporty side. All around some of the best bjj practitioners in the world, they created bjj after all.

Definitely go for it. I was a fatass till i started, it got me into fitness

How was it going as a fatass?
Did you feel out of place or anything like that?

Seriously, of all the different martial arts I've done BJJ is superior. Way more effective than any other forms.

You can get an edge on much larger foes. Once you grapple them, and it's inevitable, it's game over for 'em. And before anons start yelling about MMA or Muay Thai, it is practically always a BJJ practitioner that takes the prize in UFC, for example.

youtu.be/iZDQ0-Zbpt8

While the video focuses on pure BJJ you can find countless videos on YouTube about mixed martial arts matches.

just dont try to use this shit irl

I wrestled for about nine years, then gave bjj a shot for a week. Honestly it's great if you are a beginner, it teaches you how to move an opponent around and feel comfortable. But if I fought someone with bjj background I would tear them apart.

The reason is because I can kick, elbow and maybe punch from so many positions that I could hold a bjj in while they try and move to a better position.

However, if you learn it, 99% of the fights you get into in the future, you will have a damn good advantage.

Nah, everybody at my gym was really nice about it.

Obviously i sucked, but i lost weight really fast, and it made me want to get better.

Go for it, just take it easy at first in sparring if your gym has you spar at all in the beginner course. Keep that retard strength at bay. Take the basic course and keep going, roll with blue belts and up every chance you get. Do no-gi too, it's fun and fast flowing compared to low level jiu-jitsu.

Go for it. As for being in your mid 20's, I'm in my mid 40's and am going to my first class after a couple of weeks.

agreed.

bjj is at most a finisher.

The gym I want to go to for it only does no-gi for advanced and up. It's pretty much the best school in my area by a huge margin so I figure it's my best bet.

I'm just curious how often the classes are / attendance frequency since I work 55 hours a week.

Absolutely do it m8. I Decided that for 2016 I would take 6 months off lifting and do only BJJ. So far I have had zero back problems which chronically plagued me when lifting, and I'm still holding on to my gains. I'm way more flexible now and when I start lifting again in June it will be great.

Those details depends on where you go. Some schools focus more on realistic situations, e.g. someone wailing on your face in mount, instead of viewing it in terms of sport BJJ.

Do eet. I'm 26 and have been training for almost two years. No serious injuries, just some wrecked fingers.

I work a fuckton of hours too and it's hard sometimes making the evening class schedule. I just lift on my off-days.

How much progress have you made in two years? What belt color?

Blue belt and starting to teach/coach. Taken a few golds in competition as well.

Physically, I went from an endurance athlete to pretty yoked. Gained like 45 lbs of muscle combined with lifting.

How tiring is the training?

I'm thinking of trying it out next year, by then I'll probably be running TM

lol
>i quit bjj in a week but it's really because I was just too good and they had nothing to teach me

Fundamentals/beginner classes aren't that tiring. They're geared to teach people the basics as well as get the conditioning up to fight 5 minute rounds.

At the advanced level you can expect to fight 20-30 minutes of 5-8 minute rounds with water breaks.

BJJ doesn't combine well with TM

depending on how often you got to train that week depends on whether or not you can PR

you need some sort of program with any autoregulation that can adjust if you're feeling beat up as shit from training

>tfw I'm a restaurant manager and only have free time early as fuck in the morning, since getting out at 10-12 at night leaves me no time to do much with everything closed by then.

Such is life. Though, the gym I'm looking at seems to be willing to work schedules around people with issues like this.