Chin ups versus pull ups

Which one is better and why is it the chin up?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-l9Ph6y4jNY
m.youtube.com/watch?v=31gaR3zOLzQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I dunno. Sometimes the vitamins C of oranges is better than the fiber of apples.

pretty good

I like chin-ups better.

chin ups train more muscle mass at the same time.

Pic related

fitsticky.com/lifts for more of this stuff

I do both.

how about these (vasquez):
youtube.com/watch?v=-l9Ph6y4jNY

i just do 10 of each so no idea which is better but taking the bar to the back of the neck (in the video she doesn't go high enough) gives a nice squeeze

if you want maximum lat gains add some shoulder adduction exercise if you mainly do chins
add some shoulder extension exercise if you mainly do pullups

stop shilling your shit ass site you fucking degenerate piece of trash

Question about chinups:
If my goal is to maximize the amount of reps i can do with bodyweight, should i just keep doing bw sets, or start adding weight at some point?
I can do about ~8 chinups at once atm, my goal is 20.

50pullups.com

The "warm ups" are garbage memes, but the routine is quite effective.

You might find yourself skipping a day from time to time, though

Do both. Volume with bodyweight one day, intensity with weights on the other.

This.

If I only had to pick one, it would be neutral grip/hammer chins, because it is best of both worlds.

But there is no reason not to do both.

Shit gets boring enough, it is fun to mix in variations like cliffhanger pull ups and other shit
m.youtube.com/watch?v=31gaR3zOLzQ

Ignore this DYEL cunt.

You only need strength endurance.

You get better at what you train for. Training for doing lots of bodyweight pull ups makes you better at lots of bodyweight pull ups.

After you finish your sets, do lots of "cheater" pull ups where you kinda jump, and use that momentum to get lots of half-ass reps in.

Try to avoid going to failure/frying your neuromuscular whateverthefuck

Grease the groove works as well, if you have bar at home, and time to do sets all day becaus you're a NEET

This is the worst advice I've seen on Veeky Forums in ages.

Looks pretty good, ill consider it. Yeah the warmup seems quite useless
I started doing chinups with doing lots of negative ones ("cheater" chinups"), id just use a chair/jump and lower myself as slow as i can. It defo works.

Sorry for disagreeing with mark rippetoe's precious parrot, but his goal is 20 and I can already do significantly more than that.

I highly doubt that she male can.

Add those cheaters in after each set, and still hit your set goals.

I did the 50pullups method, but kinda mixed it with gtg in that I would do over 9000 sets every day, stopping like 2-3 reps shy of failure, and resting anywhere from 1 to 90 minutes

Looks good. I did something similar with push ups, and I got a lot better

I do both weighted and bodyweight and I can do over 25 reps and my 1RM is added 60kg.

Your advice is shit. Weighted chin-ups directly transfer to bodyweight chin-ups.

thanks bb, was looking for this yesterday but couldn't find it.

Not as directly as bodyweight would

Yes it does.
Stop being such a fucking memer holy fuck.

I'm currently training to beat the record on most pullups in one min, which is 50 i think, you're on a very good level, i'd advise you try training pullups bodyweight only 3x per week untill you can do sets of 10, then only do sets of ten and you'll easily be able to do 20 in no time, if you want to get past that, i have 4 training days, a heavy one of weighted pullups, a medium bodyweight focusing on doing lots of sets, a light one with very little sets a lots of reps and one of accessory work such as different variations, rows, some weights etc, so far i'm about 39 in one minute. hope it helps

They work different muscle groups

If anything it is more efficient

Would using the lat pull down machine help?

I've been doing 3xF on SS with 0 progress

I start with 3 sets of pullups and end with 2 sets of chinups

how long have you been lifting? 3 months here,can do 15 with ease

Are assisted pull/chinups any good or should I just focus on negatives if I can't do shit for reps?

Right.

Not training endurance gives you more endurance.

Fucking brilliant, fucktard.

I bet you think doing 50 rep babby weight increases your 1rm.

If you want to build strength endurance, don't do low rep sets that don't build your strength endurance.

If you want a strong back, and big lats, absolutely 100% do weighted chins.

If you only want to do more, training to do more is the obvious answer

negatives and more negatives
I do weighted chins and I still do negatives
eccentric training is 10/10

>"Which one is better and why is it the chin up?"
>Guys, I'm too weak to do pull ups so please aknowledge my weakness by telling me chin ups are better

you motherfuckers are getting more and more pathetic by the day

Hope your 1st month lifting is treating you well.

kill yourself piece of shit

This is seriously bad advise. At some point your muscle will have no oxygen in it. This doesn't feel like a pump but like you have to choose more weight. You can't train your muscle to hold oxygen longer - that's just not trainable. So if you reach high reps you should definitely mix it up and do weighted ones.

It depends on your goals, as almost all things do.
As a bodybuilder, I do wide grip pull ups with hands in front of my head, wide grip with hands even with my head, chin ups with a close grip and neutral grip pull ups. I do approximately 240 repetitions of the basic pulling motion a week (I train back twice a week) spread over the four variations (there are more, of course, but these are the ones I've chosen for various reasons). I use this configuration because I find it gives me the best pump, it does not place undue stress on my wrists, elbows or shoulders, it really helps me pull my lats wide but it also hits my rhomboideus and my trapezius and does some work on my biceps (though as a bodybuilder I train my biceps separately pretty seriously for peak).
As for strength gains, I'm really not sure which might be better, but I would assume both variations would also be helpful.

i posted my routine once inone of your threads and you said that deadlifts are all you need for traps

You also say normal bb bench is bad because theres not total chest ROM

however deadlifts have 0 trap ROM, its just stabalization

SO WHICH ONE IS IT JAM JON?

From my experience of training about 10 complete novices
>pullups are much harder initially. why? idk, smaller weaker muscles? unnatural leverages?
>Chinups will blow up lats. Pullups will blow up upper back.
>Chinups can make decent biceps. But will never be enough if big arms are wanted. Even weighted chinups. The lats are too incorporated.
>pullups are a better indicator of upper body strength.

I do bw+45lbs 3x5 for both. I'm stronger than all of you plebs.

Say hi to your grills for me.

if you don't weigh at least 200 lbs pls go

So this 50pullups.com site recommends a rep range that never gets anywhere close to failure. I'm a HIT kinda-guy, but I'd like to see what you have to say about this. Not to failure or to failure?

grease the groove has been proven to work. As has working to failure. It's whatever is most convenient for you. Pullups/chinups are one of those exercises where more is just better. I work at a gym. I could barely do one chinup. Every hour I would go down and do them til failure (5 hours shift). I got to 10 in like 2 weeks.

>Every hour I would go down and do them til failure (5 hours shift). I got to 10 in like 2 weeks.
Then I'm a weak fucking piece of shit because I'm a 80kg skelly and I've been doing chin-ups for 5 months and can only do 6.

P.S.: Not arguing that I'm not a weak piece of shit. I am. Just wanted to show how slow my progress has been.

I weighed 220 lbs. I could only do negative chins.I would do like 10 negative chins. Then within a couple days I could do 1. Then I just spammed them every day and I guess the SAID principle just took over. Diet was on point though.

There are a whole lot of factors that could be influencing your slow progress. Diet, sleep, etc. I'm sure if you're a skelly you need to eat more.

Thanks, guys. One other question: for dips, could I follow the 50pullups.com programme (but with dips, of course) or is there something more to the point and fun that I could try?

220 lb guy here.

I do nothing conventionally. I could only do like 3 BW dips when I first started. Granted, they were really deep, but still. I didn't want to do dips every damn day to build my strength. So I threw a 25 lb weight on me and would do heavy singles every other day.

>Heavy single.
>wait 3-4 minutes.
>Heavy single.
>repeat about 5-7 times.

Did this for about a month, adding 2.5lbs every so often. I got back on the dip station and popped out 15 deep BW dips a month after doing this. Not saying it's the best for the joints or safe, but it worked for me.

do not listen to this mentally ill person

Nice, that was really fucking nice. Good work man. I really liked your idea.

I'd mind your front delts with dips, I've always run into odd pains when I do dips for volume. I might be weird though.

>chins

oh, you mean the exercise that everyone can do and no is impressed by? I'll stick to my pulls thanks

Thanks, man. Injuries could really fuck up with our life. Other than DOMS I've felt nothing on my delts front doing dips. That is, besides the sternum that hurts and I have to pop it (yes, like one would pop their finger joints) between sets to relieve the discomfort.

according to my physical therapist wife, dips for volume and a lot of depth stretch the fuck out of your shoulder capsule and make you temporarily more prone to injuries. be wary.

get the fuck out of here you stupid shill

Does anyone else get elbow tendonitis from pullups? I can do chinups without much fuss at all. Even weighted chins. But BW pullups fuck my shit up. Narrow, wide, all of the. Maybe I'm flaring my elbows or something because I'm too weak.

Yeah man. Just found this site a few days ago. I'm pretty pathetic. So yeah I feel I've brought us all down a bit.

Yeah but we're talking about 1-25 reps here, not fucking cardio you braindead piece of shit.
Anything that's less than 50 reps is barely proper endurance training and your general strength will have a much bigger effect on how many pull-ups you can do instead of your endurance.

If you can do pullups with 40kg attached to you doing multiple of them without weights will be ridiculously easy.
Doing bodyweight chin-ups until you can do 25 of them will barely get you any strength, bw pullups are just for weak lanklets so they can feel superior somehow by pulling their 130lbs ass up 20 times.

>bw pullups are just for weak lanklets so they can feel superior somehow by pulling their 130lbs ass up 20 times.
can confirm. 130 lb skelly at my gym does like 3 sets of 20.

So chinups are harder?

>Doing bodyweight chin-ups until you can do 25 of them will barely get you any strength

Same advice from

Yes absolutely this happens to me too. I hate it and it's making me avoid them.

Which one is better for lats?

Chins are better for everything.

There is a decent amount of literature on the biomechanics of it all and pullups, despite being mechanically harder, offer no more gains than chins, except for less bicep work.

Confirmed by Dorian yates

Faggot nigger. Turn off your trip and kill yourself

Fuck off this board faggot

Even upper back?

Pullups hurt my forearms as do bb curls so I'm fine with just doing weighted chins. Especially since my biggest priority aesthetics wise is arms right now.

Just want to know if I'm missing out

is doing less pulls up with no support or many pulls ups using rubberbands best?

Chin-ups won't make your traps, rhomboids or rear delts anywhere near as developed as it will make your lats

Pullups hit those harder then?