Noob

Hello Veeky Forumsizens, k/omrade here. I read the sticky and its alot to process all at once. Here is my story. I joined the Army at 17, went to basic, finished high school, then went to AIT. After AIT I was in the best shape of my life (6'4 190lbs) I looked good. about 3 years ago I got a back injury while deployed, got back, got surgery, put on permanent profile for 2 years. I couldnt do much and got pretty depressed and started eating, didnt do much exercise and now its taken its toll and its time to do something about it.

Im getting a gym membership in about a week or 2 (when I get paid) and I need to know what a good regime to stick to would be.

>run mon, wed, fri then lift tues, thurs, sat?

running is easy but what kind of lifting should I be doing? curls, bench, squats etc etc?

The part that will be hard for me is dieting. What kind of shit do you guys eat on a daily basis? breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks?

My end goal is to not be skinny fat with love handles anymore. Its time to stop being a shitty human being and time to start working out and getting in shape so I can feel better about myself, look good, and get laid more.

Forgot to mention I am not 6'4 250lbs. if that matters.

I am now***

jesus christ, I cant into typing

>read the sticky
>do the SS

whew lad, this is a tough one.

The sticky has a lot of info, so it is hard to process.

What I would recommend is that you didn't star lifting yet. Download a calorie counting app, like myfitnesspal, and start on changing your food habits.
Seriously, for a good week or two just learn about carbs, fats, and protein. Find out how much you need, and then start trying to hit your calorie and macro goals.

Don't try to do everything at once or you'll crash, go slow.
First comes the food. Figure out how much you spend on food, what kind of food you enjoy, start looking up food's nutritional value.

Ask me specific questions, I'm staying up for a bit.

Youre a lifesaver. Thank you.

>download myfitnesspal

Downloaded that yesterday but I ate like I normally was eating. fast food, soda, etc. etc. all the shit youre not supposed to and I looked at the calories and it was an eye opener. You dont really notice until you see it counted up and you get to over 4000 calories a day.

I do have to start doing pushups, situps, and running at the very least because I am reserves now and now that my profile is up I have to meet the APFT standars which is the 2 mile run, pushups, situps.

Starting with diet makes sense and it will be the hardest one. Basically, what is a good meal plan to stick to. I see people that prepare their meals a week in advanced and it seems like they stick to the same shit every day. What kind of stuff do you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks?

Varies wildly from person to person. My gf and I are both nutrition nerds, so we go for a high variety diet, seasonal food, etc...

You're going to want to make sure you get 1g of Protein for every 1lb of lean bodymass. You being 6'4", I'd eyeball it at 200lb, so 200g of protein daily. For context, chicken breast has 25g Protein for every 100g.
You're going to eat a lot of chicken, turkey, broccoli, blue fish, lentils, beans, and similar protein rich foods.
As for fat, restrict it to less than 30% of your caloric intake, 20-25% is perfect.

I'll give you what I eat on normal days but mind you, I'm on maintenance and only eat 2500kcal. Use it to get food ideas, but your quantities will be different.

Breakfast (0730-0800):
Turkey cold cuts (55g), tenderloin cold cuts (25g), spring onion (20g), pasteurized egg whites (150g), 1 whole egg. Scrambled.

Barley oats (100g), banana (130g), blueberries (25g), peanut butter (20g).

Tea.

After gym Snack (1030-1100):
Protein shake
Banana (130g)
Barley bread (40g)
Hardboiled egg

Lunch (1400-1430):
Leafy Greens (Spinach, kale, or the like, darker is better 50g)
Tomato (100g)
Carrots (60g)
Red Pepper (50g)
Spring Onion (50g)
Turkey Breast (200g)
Wholegrain Rice (100g)
Lentils (50g)

Afternoon Snack (1730-1800):
Barley bread(40g)
Turkey cold cuts (55g)

Dinner (2100-2130):
Avocado (60g)
Chicken breast (150g)
Quinoa (100g)
Amaranth (50g)
Tomato (50g)

It goes something like that. Get about 400 grams of fruit and vegetables everyday, but go easy on the fruit since it packs a bunch of sugar. Potato and other starchy stuff don't count as vegetables for this purpose.

Again, this is to give you ideas, it isn't a perfect plan.

you'd better sneak some activated almonds in there as well

>literaly soak and dry almonds
But I haven't tried it yet, because I keep forgeting.

This gives me a pretty good idea. basically I was thinking just eating chicken, turkey, ground beef, salmon, alot of vegetables, some fruits for when i get a sweet tooth, rice, beans, etc.

On the right track. Oats and barley work wonders for breakfast.

I can do oats and barley for breakfast. Alot of people were recommending eggs and shit and I just dont have that kind of time in the mornings. I already have to be up at 530am for work lol. Probably throw in some brocolie and carrots for snacks and stuff. I like vegetables so that wont be an issue at all.

It sucks because when I was active duty all the shit in the DFAC was pretty healthy and you didnt really have a choice. Now that I actually have to think for myself and buy my own shit it gets pretty intimidating on how much shit to buy and what to buy.

Don't worry mane, take it slow and do it right. Once you get the hang of your new way of eating, start looking into what exercises you're going to do, and when you're going to do them.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help man! Hopefully I can not look like a tub of hot shit by this time next year. Im hoping I can stay motivated but usually sex with attractive women has been a good motivator with everything my whole life. lol

Make us proud.

Fellow vet with injured back who turned into a skinnyfat piece of shit before getting back on the right track here, a lot of people have given you really great advice.

My strongest recommendation is that you put massive focus on your form above all else. That's going to be really critical to you preventing future injuries which given your height/weight and history of injury should be something you fear.

I don't do push ups at all because weightlifting and a solid diet mean I can always pass that portion of the APFT.

Here's my routine but you can do just plain Jane Stronglifts or Starting Strength if you prefer:

ABA
BAB

A: Squat 5x5, Bench 5x5, Row 5x5, Flys 2x8, Shrugs 2x8
B: OHP 5x5, Deadlift 1x5, Tricep Pulldown 2x8, Bicep Curls 2x8, Situps for 2 minutes

If you've got an APFT coming up soon and you're not sure you can pass it talking to your immediate superior; team leader or whoever, and explain to them you're trying to get on the right track fitness wise.

I talked to my team leader and platoon sgt and they talked to top and commander and I have 6 months to be able to pass a PT test. I also suggested I take a diagnostic every month and they agreed. So it shouldnt be too big of an issue. I should be able to pass one within 6 months even if im not at the level I should be by then but Ive always been very good of just not stopping which is really a weakness of mine because I dont always listen to my body as well as I should so thats something that I need to work on too.

>6 months
If you eat right, run, and lift there's no way you can't be back on top. Give me a sec and I'll try to find my 6 month progress pic.

What's your running plan? Are you currently running now or just getting into it again?

Just starting again. I just got cleared by the doc to start excersizing like normal but just have to ease into it. So I'll probably run every other day and lift every other day except sundays. With running I'll probably just start out with a slow jog like an airborne shuffle or something like that.

Check out Couch to 5k as a running program. My first run after a year of sedentary wastage was 60-120s for 45 minutes and I fucked up my legs terribly because my tibias hadn't experienced impact pressure like that in forever. Starting too hard on your run will fuck you up and set you back.

Here's my starting and 6 month progress pic.

Nice. I wish I was at where younstarted. I have a gut now and love handles. I'm a fat bodied mother fucker but you can't really tell too much with clothes on. Fucking sucks

Thanks. If you hold to the program (lifting, running, and diet) you'll have drastically lost fat and gained muscle by month 6.

Thanks for the help man