/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General
A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>links back from the dead edition

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
chinfl.blogspot co.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW

>helpful blog on some technique quirks:
yashathoughts.com

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Commisar's notes on the dank, zesty Meme Method (DZMM)
>pastebin.com/u0jiY8sM (embed)

>red lights:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TJg4kmfFkYs
youtube.com/watch?v=m2XwL4MR-uU
hub.olympic.org/news/7-weightlifting-tips-from-77kg-gold-medallist-lyu-xiaojun
/
runningwritings.com/2011/09/injury-series-tendon-remodeling-part-ii.html
youtube.com/watch?v=-RYMV0salw8
sports.qq.com/a/20091120/000027.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=Cz53Vt-H12U
youtube.com/user/WeightliftingUkraine
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

6'5" long femured powerlifter here looking to get into WL

My question was that if I have a deadlifter's build, is there any benefit whatsoever as a Weightlifter, or am I fucked? My guess is that I'd do good at powercleans and that's it

For reference my stats in kg are 257.5 squat, 185 bench, 312.5 deadlift

Also how long would it generally take to be relatively proficient at the comp lifts starting from scratch, with a coach?

couple of weeks to get tech down and then a couple of months to develop tech further while progressing in weights, you'll probably be able to hit a 3pl8 CnJ pretty quick

Thanks senpai, any answer to the question of the pros and cons of people with deadlifter's build would be?

Pros
>Probably can clean it pretty easily
Cons
>Shit mobility
>Jerking and snatching at 6'5 will be a nightmare

long arms short torso medium femur length right? snatch will be good for you

shit sry forgot, your 6'5 yeh thats gonna be a hassle

Fuck, isn't salimi like 6'6" tho

Wl is actually very forgiving on different proportions stop making excuses

>Literally talking about the least forgiving sport for proportions
105+ is where it matters the least though

Just train and see where u get at. Ul most likely b 105+. Its a very fun sport to train for

Only faggots who have no experience in the lifts think this

Look at say, high jump. You literally can't do this if you're not built right.

Wl has had many many many different lifters of different proportions, and it's forgiving because you can set up, and pull, in a way that favours your body. Stop looking at one sort of build and assuming lanky guys are automatically shit at this, gain a bit of knowledge. Shit just watch something that isn't China nationals and look at all the different proportions you see.

It's one of the only sports where you can entirely adapt the technique to suit your proportions. That's forgiving.

Didn't Salami lose his record to some Russian?

no

Number one thing that powerlifters don't grasp in weightlifting is the mobility and positioning. You spend so long being tight everywhere where in weightlifting you need to be loose
You're time will be much better spent stretching that reinforcing bad movements patters, overhead will probably be a nightmare with all that benching

>2016
>no qt3.14 to hang snatch with

why even live?

>why can't i just be chinese
fuck

Started lifting in a oly gym, and went to their course (we meet once in a week). Today i was practising there by myself, and few coaches came to me to give (great) tips.

Best gym decision in my life

dont post about this ur making me mad jelly

S-sry, i was just having a dream. I'm training in my basement with a stick + water baskets (if my form isn't good, i get wet). My mom is teaching me, she used to do crossfit for a week.

will ilya break 250 at rio

Are PP2s nice to use? I have some shit do-wins right now and the inside is getting rekt, I don't really like them anyway.

Top end shoes are too expensive so I'm wondering what PP2s are like.

Also, 1/2 size down? I'm size 9 in everything so I get 8.5?

I have PPII right now, and I think they're great

Probably mean lovchevs 264 c&j which for now still stands but probably not for much longer when b samples are opened

No

>youtube.com/watch?v=TJg4kmfFkYs
asian champs 2016 M56kg

How is it even possible to practice the pulling under with baby weights (when learning technique)?

Pp2 are super nice. I wear my normal adidas size

It isn't. Just practice the turnover as an active movement, not just as dropping under the bar.

Thanks. I also have an another question:

youtube.com/watch?v=m2XwL4MR-uU
Is she right that beginners should think about doing a "jump" instead of learning the scoop and proper extensions? Cal strength also teaches to "jump"..

Sauce you kind user

>crossfit
nope

hub.olympic.org/news/7-weightlifting-tips-from-77kg-gold-medallist-lyu-xiaojun
/
>I will do my best to stay on top until the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020.

I'm focused a lot on general strength right now, but have been learning WL for a few months.

I usually practice over and over with bar at the of sessions and sometimes at the start and work up to a light weight trying to be consistent.

Would adding clean and snatch pulls once a week help me develop better positions/chest up more and aid with development of technique? They feel quite awkward as soon as I add weight even though my squat is 3pl8+.

No. Thinkin about a jump can lead to the habbit of actually jumping. The repositioning of the feet is only a foot movement,which the upper body should be totally uninfluenced by. Maybe delugee can post you that video of klokov where he explains what happens when you actually do a jump.

Jumping is just a cue to teach full extension

There are other cues to teach this that don't actively encourage a jump, like 'open all the way' but for a complete noob that doesn't really mean much if they've never seen anyone lift before

'Stand up hard' was a cue I heard on here that maybe would work but idk

>'Stand up hard'

Can't be. This actually helps..

I hope he can

>wl in basically undies

Shes cute, but must women really do this?

My patellar tendon has always felt a bit uncomfortable when squatting.

Now it's straight up painful if I squat anything above 2 plate, it seems more painful if I'm front squatting too. Should I just stop squatting for a few weeks and hope whatever is wrong heals? How will I know I am ready to squat again?

Any tips for the double knee bend / scoop phase? Any thinking patterns to make it feel more natural?

do a back flip?

stop overthinking it. it IS a natural movement.

and don't think about the double knee bend. it will happen on it's own. focus on other things.

drill the correct positions with slow pulls and pauses throughout until you memorize them and then blend it into a normal speed pull

>Would adding clean and snatch pulls once a week help me develop better positions/chest up more and aid with development of technique?

if you do the pulls with better positions and chest up and good technique, then yes.

So what do i do to make it look like a double knee bend instead of a deadlift? Because deadlift comes more naturally..

I'm having the same problem rn.
I took a week off of squats and did these decline one legged squats at home 3x15 tree times a day with bodyweight. Give em a shot if you only have it in one knee.
Instantaneously felt better for me.

runningwritings.com/2011/09/injury-series-tendon-remodeling-part-ii.html

study frames 3, 4 and 5. to get from 3 to 5 you're standing up with the weight, ending in the power position like in frame 5. consider doing slow pulls with pauses at the positions in frames 3 and 5.

deadlift implies knees fully extended at the end of the movement. for weightlifting you should end a pull in the power position (frame 5) which is the point where you begin extension.

post a form check if you want more specific advice.

is the double knee bend a meme everett is responsible for

have you guys tried flossing the knee?
youtube.com/watch?v=-RYMV0salw8

prob

One thing that helped me is in positions 3-5 from knees to power position is all he is doing is making his torso more upright.

This brings the bar right into his hip and he is ready to fire.

"stand up" is another good one that i've had success with

Yeah I've done this since it started getting uncomfortable several months ago :(

No, it occurs naturally as user said. Some Americans try to teach it tho which is retarded. I think Everett actually tries to stop that trend.

His book does have an example.of how it works tho, maybe that's where le rebend meme started

if it's been uncomfortable for months you probably need to take a real break, 2 weaks off lower body work maybe with the exception of some light hamstring stuff like single leg rdls

also if your quads are tight one or both of the vmo and itb can pull on the patela, dragging it out of the groove and exacerbating tendonitis. This can mean that even with a healthy patellar tendon you fuck it up just about immediately

Thanks caladan. I dont' have tightness in my quads, my hammies are maybe a little tight. I posted in qtddtot too, here's some more details:

Left knee. It's been there for ages. I've noticed it from playing field hockey for a few years, I think it's because playing on astro turf so high impact when I'm running. Only started noticing it squatting about 18 months ago when I hit 3plate but it wasn't too painful. I backed off to the point where it was just a discomfort. I don't lift with any knee wraps, my knees don't cave when squatting.

I've tried compression treatment for several months which has kept it to a discomfort and I recover from the pain quite quickly. Squatting between 80 - 100kg is fairly painful at the moment, I haven't bothered going higher in fear I might really damage something. Pain is only the patellar tendon. If I kneel on it it's very uncomfortable (I cant do kneeling ab rolls within an hour of squatting). Pain is hard to describe, it's sort of like an intense ache, not really a stabby pain. It makes me feel a bit sick if I try and work through several sets.

It's currently a bit uncomfortable because cricket season has just started and I plant my left leg when bowling, that doesn't cause pain though, just general discomfort.

Thanks m8. This helped a lot. I had no idea how to learn that phase, like what to think.

if you rested and it came straight back, then it means it's either a problem with the patellar tendon (in which case user's advice about decline eccentric squats is solid), it's an issue with form like divebombing or forcing knees forward on eccentric (you'd know better than us), or there's tightness somewhere (in which case, try out just rolling your quads with a rumble roller or pvc before squats and see what happens).

The worst case scenario is that it's something even deeper, like a meniscus problem, manifesting as anterior knee pain, but you'd probably have reached that conclusion earlier if that was the case.

Have you been to a sports doc? Physio is OK too if you have long wait times to see a physician.

Oh and try pic related, just a hunch but can't hurt

+ all that stuff about pushing your knees and ankles forward and bringing your hips down and forward were making it awkward to learn. The "stand up" to power position cue seems to make it happen naturally.

Thanks, I'll give the decline eccentric squats a go and the popliteus massage. I don't think I'm guilty of divebombing or forcing knees forward.

What sort of intensity should I be squatting at while I do all this? Often with low weight? Heavier weight a couple of times a week? Power through it while doing all this?

pain is your guide and certainly don't power through it if you want functional knees by age 50

you would also be surprised at how much progress slows down when you ignore chronic pain. I would know

would knee sleeves be worth buying?

>Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
oh fuuuuuuuck

I've found they help, just simple cloth warmers should do the trick (don't bother with expensive rehband or sbds or whatever)

If it hurts after whatever lifting/sport I've been doing should I ice or warm it?

How you get that front shin vertical in the jerk? How did you learn how far to place your foot?

I've found ice first feels better, warm later

If your shin isn't vertical it's probably indicating you're either not splitting wide enough or you're putting all your weight into the front foot, or both

How do I warm up adequately?

keep in mind you should be doing stretching in evenings and off days, this makes stuff go by way quicker

Everett says you should start with a few minutes of light foam rolling before moving onto some light dynamic stretching and barbell based stuff

I like to also throw in a plank for a few seconds. I think Ilya does too

What do you do for ankle mobility?

this, though the gains don't seem to translate over to the next session which bugs me. I think I've got really inflexible ankles from multiple sprains playing football over the years

I've been doing that but not with feet together and leaning back, does that make a large difference?

I think it does help, but YMMV. Give it a shot

Noobie from few months on SL trying to do c/j, ending with bruised collar bones near neck.
Any specific things to look for other than just working on rack position by practice?

>things to look for

my dick

Lu is not human. 32 and putting up numbers like nobody else his age.

It's unbelievable.

liao is also going for tokyo 2020

Of course. Liao is pretty young.

I hope Tian Tao takes gold. He has a chance to be 3-4 time Olympic champion with his numbers.

liao is 30

Liao is 28 silly.

his ex coach said he was 30

sports.qq.com/a/20091120/000027.htm
he was 23 in 2009

how? he was born sept, 1987... lol

i think the thing about him being 28 must be a typo which spread and has been taken as fact

Lu xiaojun getting all the pussy

:25

youtube.com/watch?v=Cz53Vt-H12U

Why is owg ded lads

Turns out the program i wrote for last week was 2hard. I overestimated my ability to adapt. in the end it was probably great for building strength but sort of messed up my classics at the end

i'm taking it easy today, did some rows this morning and cj tech. Tomorrow i do a clean max in the morning and then everything is business as usual

not enough LOLIPOSTAN

Pedo

Why is spiderman so smuk

The fat fuck and the roided faggot from plg rekt it

>15 yo
>pedo

Tfw Lu xiaojun will never lift you

I actually want to see him break 200 snatch tbqh

How do you cope with a bad week?

This is my first real week of everything feeling bad... Feeling rough hitting 80%, tech feels like something changed but idk what I'm doing different

Just lift thru it? Does it come back together? Pretty demotivated desu

Have you guys seen Aleksey Torokhtiy's youtube channel?

youtube.com/user/WeightliftingUkraine

he makes a lot of videos on technique but some of them are only in ruski, and no subtitles.

Thanks.
Do you think it's worth buying them? Are they just as good as the romaelos/adipowers for say the next 5 years?

My do-wins feel horrible, I'm not sure if it's because they are too lose or something else. (I have to tighten the strap a lot so it probably is too loose). I've used them for 2 years.

you probably got stronger and its affecting your technique. what are your numbers?

m-maybe tomorrow will be better lad?

I was having a really shit weak up until Friday, while I was stretching I had a pure thought of "today is going to be a good day"...and it was.

The do-wins never worked for me, I hated the higher heels. Try out the PPIIs if you can

The heels are higher? I thought they were both 0.75"?