Any other rugby players out there?

Any other rugby players out there?
I've been playing for 2 years and its what started my fit career

Other urls found in this thread:

bodybuilding.com/fun/best_neck_workouts.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

enjoy losing your brain cells bro

I'm three concussions deep, but its worth it for the brotherhood, and I have a few brain cells left to spair

pfffft the first five are freebies anyways

I know some Ruggers. RESPECT

im not a typical Veeky Forumsicen, but i want to start going to the gym in june when i have more money and time.
i started playing 3 years ago.
where are you from? whats your position?

who /no8/ here

winger here, only just started playing though

Yeah, played in college and now on a club. Good way to make friends. I play as 7 usually

prop masterrace here of course, i imagine this board is full of centers and wings with fancy hair and virgin noses

Do you use GH?

Kill yourself you weak faggot

USandA, Lock or Prop depending on how deep we are running

Been playing Rugby for around 10 years.
Played throughout all of high school and now play for my University.

My position is Hooker
6ft 105kg

You now understand why wrestlers, formula one drivers and nfl athletes work their necks, and why it's a fucking aberration that most rugbymen don't

SECOND ROW FULL CONTACT HOO AH

when i play on sunday my neck stay sore till atleast wednesday. It was funny, after one of my first games i played i got a black eye and did not have periphere vision on that side anymore because of the swelling and i couldn´t turn my head because the sore neck. i had to turn my whole body if i wanted to look on the right.

I do not own a single shirt of which i can close the top button anymore. First row problems
you are also frontrower i assume?

No actually, I'm a wrestler (France), but I have a lot of friends playing in clubs who get injured in the neck.

I still don't get why EU coaches don't promote neck training like Americans do. It saves from a lot of cervical pain.

by how deep you are running, do you mean how few people are there on matchday?
I never played anything but prop i played about 20 minutes at loosehead when i injured my left shoulder and couldn´t bear the tighthead position anymore. But the rest of the team alway moves positions because our roster is too slim.

you mean wrestling coaches? they sure should care about neck strength. A guy on our team was dutch wrestling champion, pretty tough. wrestling seems to transition well in some aspects of rugby.
Is wrestling a thing in france?

>tfw right winger life is life for me

feels speed bros

nah man. my nose would bleed from all that nose picking while the men scrummage

Not really, had to battle a lot to find a decent class

>tfw transferred from 8 in college to back to fullback for a men's club
>tfw the ball never gets out to the backs now
>tfw now the older men just pick n drive while I sit there wishing I was still a forward
>tfw I got the ball twice in 80 minutes

Yes m80

R8 no8

How big do you have to be to play rugby? Is 5'9" 170 too small?

naw, learn to pass and just be a gobby shite scrumhalf m8

Number 8 here, just transfered from second row, played for 2 years (18 y/o) fucking love this sport and would love to play it in a country that isnt shite at the sport... Anyone know if its possible to get scholarship is USA for rugby? (not saying USA is good at rugby just an option for my further studies) Also planning to apply for NZ/Aus unis

Forgot to add stats
195 cm
98kg

Yes, but it's fairly difficult. Rugby used to be a legit NCAA sport, but now it's a club sport. It's hit or miss to find schools that give scholarships. The best schools like Cal, BYU, Utah, St Mary's, give out scholarships to foreigners but those guys are pretty damn good. Some smaller schools have smaller scale scholarships and financial aid for guys who play rugby. Where are you from?

Well got some exp. played for my national team in the second highest division of the european championship, gotta be worth something rite haha

i too get the ball less than i want but thats because im always in or fresh out of a ruck. I also am always amongst the last to leave the scrum or lineout

i played league once for fun thats how i imagine the good side of being fullback, mandatory space to charge. i was wrecking tacklers left and right

this

they always say there is room for every size in rugby. i find it true to a decent degree

where are you from? germany?

Nope cuckistan or sweden, whatever you prefer to say. (cant wait to get out)

look at UK unis, some of them play a very high standard of Rugby and the associated lad banter is off the charts.

UK - Leeds Met, Loughborough the two best historically

i´d prefer cuckistan, but in germany we aren´t that much better. i would think about leaving too but i love my actual soil

leeds met, are you for real fella?

Rugby is why I started lifting, and a big motivation to keep lifting

>tfw 185 pound flanker on a mens club first team

6'1 230lb high school linebacker here. My coach is a former rugby player and has been teaching me how to play over the spring and summer. Plan on playing 6 or 7 at University of Wisconsin in the fall. Any tips that I should know?

Thinking about joining a rugby club here in the States, can't decide if I want to do league or union

Can anyone make a case for either?

Get in better aerobic shape than you are now. And don't lead with your head when you tackle.

I would post ITT but I have traumatic brain injurrrry

Played hooker in college, loved it and all the drunken shenanigans that took place

started playing at uni 2 years ago

does anyone here do 7s tournaments?

Damn dog. Thats some shit. 8 is the best position in the game if you ask me. So much freedom and you do everything but scrummy. Freedom to pick and go of scrums. I played 8 for about half a season, but I'm too slow so I got pushed back into the pack. Loosehead or lock for the most part now.

> Dont lead with your head when you tackle.

Exactly this. So hard to get out of the habit. Also train footwork like ladders and cutting. Learn your angles too. At your size, you might want to think about lock too, though you are a tad short.

>tfw from nz

Feels dominating, man

I worked in a spinal injury unit. This shit was our second biggest cause of injuries (motorbikes were the first). Put me off the game for lifts.

>5'10" 170lbs
>thinking about joining unis rugby club when I transfer
>school starts late september

Can I make it bros? What workouts/exercises should I be focusing on besides squats/deads?

I want to make friends as a transfer and joining the rugby team seems like a much more fun option than frats or other clubs.

pls respond

How much do pro rugby players lift?

videos?

union is more complicated and offers more depth

league ist simpler and faster

union players (their physiques) are more diverse because the tasks in union are more diverse.

in union there is plenty of work for these pigs of war kind of guys in rucks (some sort of contest for the ball after the ballcarrier is tackled) scrums, lineouts and mauls (shoving, lifting)

in league there are no rucks, mauls and (real) scrums or lineout, you just give or kick the ball over to the other team after 6 or 5 tackles.

i play and prefer union but also enjoy playing league once in a while

also in most areas union seen as more establishment and league more as working class sport, but thats probably not noticeable outside the typical rugby countries

i can also only dream of that much ballcarrying a no8 gets to do
envy

quite something i guess, andrew sheridan could benchpress 496lbs

I played union for a year in college, league actually sounds like more fun

I'm a tall, muscular guy but kind of long-legged so the rucks and scrums were a bitch, I'm more of a sprinter

are you?

Nope, I am. I've been looking into 7s, any opinions on that?

please respond

i actually prefer 7s to 15s, im going to the newquay surf 7s this year which is tiny but nice atmosphere

That's chill

What position would I be likely to play? I'm very short (VERY fucking short) but dense

id suggest being a forward if you're more muscular, probably a scrum half or a flanker if you're short.
scum half is usually the shortest.
heck if you're heavy go for prop

nobody on the internet will be able to tell you if can make it. did you play rugby before? something similar?
i dont know how this school university sport team thing is working, what you have to be to join, tests and whatnot, so no idea.

Sure working the core is a good idea, neck is important especially for forwards.

just judging from your size you probably are going to be a back, so endurance and speed are always good.

about making friends: i think its safe to say everywhere around the world you will alway find top blokes in rugby

but short and strong is more suited for the regular game than 7s

our hooker is 5´5

Yeah, I'm not sure I have the endurance to play 40-minute halves, though.

But thanks user, I'll contact a couple local clubs at some point and see about joining

I've never played rugby or a team sport before

As far as joining, from what I gather if I show up for practice and put in the work I'm on the team, actual game time depends on skill obvi.

I'm in the US and the school doesn't have a top team I don't even think they're D1.

I suppose my only real worry is that I'll be too small and get my shit pushed in.

you've just got to be able to sprint and tackle hard, size isnt that much of an issue.
theres a girl on my team that is 4'9 and is vicious as fuck.
Every tackle is a high tackle

7s is harder endurancewise

Endurance to me is how long I can stay on the field in constant motion

Also I'm diabetic so I trust shorter games a lot more

normally we care about newcomers and use them for what they are capable of. they wont put you in the frontrow and see if you break in the middle. they will have understanding for you if you miss some tackles or even if you cant get a pusssy habit out of you from the spot.
just always keep your back straitht and you head in the right angle and accept some bruises and you´re good to go

in 7s its always almost sprinting and every situation is critical for points, its a few guy coverering huge areas.

you see plenty of fatties in 15s way less in 7s

anyways normally the players who play 7s on tournaments play a regular season of 15s also

I can sprint just fine, but sustained running for long periods of time has an averse effect on my blood sugar and my energy levels

crohnsfag here, i agree that 7s is a lot less stressful then 15s, i play both and its the exhaustion that gets you

you could always try a 'fun' tournament and the season is approaching

What do you do for neck strenghtening?

where are you based?

Boston, MA

without a partner?
you can put a towel behind your head and lean on a wall in an angle only touching the wall withe the back of the head/towell.

the wider your feet are away from the wall the harder, be careful dont slip and all.

if you have someon to help you can lay on your back and be stiff and your partner lifts your top end up by the back of the head. if you cant support that weigth with your neck you can change the angle or the length of the leverage

thanks bro wish me luck

I love 8. You run the forwards and have a say in the pace of the forwards play. I was moved to forward due to my slowness in college, but compared to the men's club I play for now, I'm a speed demon. I lost a little weight and put on a bit more muscle to be a better back, but this a low-tier men's team. I could not workout for a month and still be top 5 endurance on the team. I play for a select side 7s team, though, but that's maybe once or twice a year. It's a rough transition to go from a men's team that has a beer cutoff time prior to kickoff to an elite side where some of the players are trying to make it to an olympics developmental academy.

At highschool one of the rugby coaches asked whether I played, I said I didn't to which he replied:

"You should, you have the build for it".

I had started packing on the pounds then was have always been a bit confused by it.

>manlet too

that's murican football breh

rugby training does but sometimes there's nothing you can do

How do you train neck?

No offense but if you've only played for 2 year and tried to play at an aus or nz uni you'd get fucked up. Those guys have been playing since they were 8-10

go watch heinrich brussow videos and learn how to be a number 6

bodybuilding.com/fun/best_neck_workouts.htm

The Frank's brothers who played for the all blacks unironically own a crossfit gym