Lifestyle and Food changes

Hey Veeky Forums, it's good to see you today.

I just got back from a soul-crushing doctor's appointment, and honestly, I could use your advice. I've been following the sticky, but I'd like to ask for more personal responses, if anyone has any experience with this.

Today, I was diagnosed with PCOS and Diabetes type 2. I've come down a lot in weight (from 367 to 298 thanks to you all, and your motivation), but this wasn't enough to get me healthy. My left ovary is shot, and filled with cysts, and I think Diabetes is likely what's going to kill me, even if I do slim down. The doctor told me my only option is Metformin (which he prescribed) and a bariatric surgery called a Roux en Y.

I'm pretty scared about this. I was wondering if any of you know of anything I can do, health/fitness-wise that will help me to alleviate (since there's no cure, apparently) these two things. I've been mainly eating lots of dark leafy greens, some fruits, lean meats/wild meat, seeds and nuts, and only drinking water. I think once a month I do the "bad food" thing, which I still feel guilty about.

I also do tea every now and again, and coffee every day, which I only use sweet n low for. I also drink Soylent 1.5 on the occasion. Do I just keep doing what I'm doing? I feel like I've hit a plateau, and my weight won't budge from 298.

I lift weights 3 times a week (mostly at home, since I have no car), and I do tension exercises with those rubber rope things with the weight training. I'm a little scared to do cardio, since the last time I did, I went so hard it felt like my left shoulder was pinching, and I could see black in my periphery vision. I walk, though. Not far, but I walk, and I'm trying to build up to 10,000 steps a day.

I apologize for rambling. I know I'm a fatty who let themselves go, and you can judge me for it; Hell, I deserve that. But, I also look up to you guys and girls. I need your help. Have a lovely day, Veeky Forums. May the Gains be with you.

Other urls found in this thread:

nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-2-35
youtube.com/watch?v=66boOY4xXGU
vocaroo.com/i/s17GJg0akik3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm just going to bump this once, and then wait. Thank you for your time.

You don't mention calories despite wanting to lose weight. Don't you count?

start eating ALOT of veggies and protein
drink only water

Oh, I should have mentioned, sorry. I'm a little wrecked from the appointment, so I'm not thinking straight. I usually count out around 1200 calories. Doc says that's fine, and no higher than that for now.

>Diabetes type 2
into the trash it goes...

>from 367 to 298
In how much time?

You've kind of fucked yourself by being fat long enough to get diabetic so now you can't really just not eat and lose weight since hypoglycemia will kill you. Just eat a little bit at a time, stay at a deficit and check your sugar if you're feeling woozy. Keep losing weight and maybe you can reverse the diabetes. Polycystic ovaries are a different story and you're honestly better off just having an oopherectomy since no one wants to breed with your whale ass anyway.

I have PCOS also. A ketogenic diet improved my condition a lot, I got my period back after long term amenorrhea and my blood sugar went down. Talk to your doctor before changing your diet though.

Here's a study about the ketogenic diet.
>nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-2-35

It's great that you're walking so much. If you have access to a pool, swimming is good cardio that is gentle on the joints.

Yep, this is me, and what I think of now. Thanks.

It took me around a year, honestly. I have hypothyroidism, and was in the process of training myself for my binge eating disorder. So, I had to take nutrition classes, but I got the hang of it eventually.

You're probably right. Thank you for your insight.

This desu, type 2 dieting is mainly avoiding junk foods in excess of saturated fats, high amounts of sugar and processed crap
Scoobert is relevant
youtube.com/watch?v=66boOY4xXGU

You should have listened

>hypothyroidism
self diagnosed does not count. Sounds like you're making excuses, else you would've told this in OP already.

>367
hory shet

Anyway, count calories, eat clean, I'd honestly drop all the sugar out of your coffee, because even if you're using Sweet 'n Low (which is debatably bad for you), you need to avoid lots of sweet things. Make cold brew for less bitterness.

Also, like says, count yer calories. Are you keeping a food journal or something? Keep walking, keep pushing yourself, be super careful with your blood sugar.

Honestly, I didn't find him until I was well over 350 lbs, and reading Veeky Forums every day, trying to improve myself. I do wish I'd listened. I'm not proud of what I've done to myself.

Like I said, my nerves are shot, and my mind is a bit scrambled. I apologize. It isn't self-diagnosed. I was diagnosed with that around a year ago. I've been on Levothyroxine ever since.

No food journal, but that is a good idea. I'll head out to wal-mart tonight, and pick up a notebook. Thank you for your advice. I'll drop the sweet n low, too.

Hypothyroid is often comorbid with PCOS. It's entirely possible that OP forgot to mention it.

Go on a keto diet and clear them 'betes right up.

Thanks everyone. I'll look into what you've all said, start doing a food journal, and keep tabs on sugar, and keep pushing myself. This is why I admire you all.

i doesnt matter how bad you think you dun goofed there is always someone who goofed worse

thanks OP

congratulations on your weight loss don't get discouraged. Continued loss will still alleviate health problems and reduce insulin resistance. About the cardio, its a must its a cure to the symptoms you have when you're exercising. Start walking, go until you start getting out of breath then return home and rest. Keep doing this every day and when you realize your breath is laboured go home again. Every day your distance will increase. after a few months of this you should notice an improvement in your respiration and should be ready to tackle some actual cardio whether a bicycle, or an eliptical. continued weight loss will also take strain off your heart and make it easier to exercise. I hope you don't let this small setback be a roadblock to your success. You've done well so far and should be proud of yourself, keep going.

Have you tried intermittent fasting? It may be difficult for you right now, but IF has helped me a lot to control what I eat and how much I eat. I've gone from being prediabetic (with pcos) at 274 to now where all of my tests came back normal (even cholesterol) at 189. I still have a lot of weight to shed, but IF definitely helped me out.
Keep working out though. Steadily increase the strenth/reps or else progress will stall a bit. Ultimately though, you need to be honest about what you're eating and how much of it are you eating. Clean eating WILL help you lose weight if its not too many calories. Track your calories and figure out your TDEE so you can know how much you need to eat in order to lose weight. Good luck user

Btw metformin made me really nauseous and made me unable to eat most mornings, which helped out with IF. It's not something I'm proud of because I don't feel comfortable using a pill for that purpose, but it helped. It also keeps your insulin levels in check from what I've heard,so it iisn't all bad.

vocaroo.com/i/s17GJg0akik3

Congratulations on killing it! You're 70 pounds down, fan-fucking-tastic!

As you've developed diabetes, I definitely suggest you look into going onto a full ketogenic diet. Both my parents have da'beetus, and when they've been able to stick with a low-carb diet they've been successful. That's the key - sticking with it.

If you can stay in ketosis long enough, your pancreas may be able to repair itself - you can cure type 2 diabetes, or at the very least increase the working efficiency of your pancreas.

My suggestion would be to restrict carbohydrates to less than 20 grams daily for 6 weeks. At this time, I'd suggest keeping your calorie consumption somewhere around 1,600. You're looking to get around 80 grams of protein a day, the rest of your calories from fats and leafy/green vegetables.

After 6 weeks, you can start to slowly introduce low glycemic-index carbs back into your diet - oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes, berries, etc. If it's white (white flour, white potatoes, white rice, corn) just trash it.

Don't worry about cardio right now, you're still a little too heavy for that. Instead work on walking like you have been, after you build up to 10,000 steps, add 1,000 more per week until you're at 15,000 daily.

Once you reach 220-250 you can start to jog.

Or, if you have access to a pool or an exercise bike, you can use either of those for cardio - a pool being the best option.

Good luck!