So Veeky Forums, I want to take up a martial art

So Veeky Forums, I want to take up a martial art

The only classes near me are Kung fu, karate or taekwondo. What is the most enjoyable and useful in a hostile situation?

>tfw /asp/ is just WWE fags

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/w9kxtJpRmw4?t=76
youtu.be/D8G0U5hRHRU?t=21
youtu.be/pj0HcTjl1XM?t=39
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Unless it's kyokushin, seikaikan or enshin karate none of the above.

Go to the YMCA/PCYC and do boxing.

all of them will be beneficial for exercise and discipline but only schools that practice hard sparring are going to be any use for self defense.

TKD is most likely to have that but also is a sport, karate(if tradition) will have the most emphasis on self defense but potentially fatal levels of bullshit and the kungfu will teach you the coolest looking moves.

seidokaikan*

>kungfu will teach you the coolest looking moves.
May as well do bboying or ballet at that point. They both look great and are just as effective as kung fu for self-defense.

Find an mma or a boxing gym. If your only options are really those, just go to a class of karate and tae kwon do and check out the sparring sessions, join the one where they actually spar and not just play around. Disregard kung fu because you have to learn that for years and years in order to get out of the bullshit forms and dance moves to the actual fighting stuff, depending on the style but 99%.
If karate is kyokushin or full contact shotokan go there and don't even consider tae kwon do.

Took a browse and there is a relatively small place quite near that does kyokushin karate.
How much does it vary from regular karate?

Shotokan
youtu.be/w9kxtJpRmw4?t=76
Kyokushin
youtu.be/D8G0U5hRHRU?t=21
youtu.be/pj0HcTjl1XM?t=39

kyukoshin is where K-1 came from, its completely legit as a fighting style.

still boils down to how much actual sparring gets done

>le MMA meme

MMA is the CrossFit of martial arta at this point

MMA is just mixed martial arts and is no meme at all
However most things related to it are. Like a lot of "mma gyms"
I would not recommend to anyone joinging such a gym without his martial arts coach saying "Well now that you are a good boxer and trained wrestling for several years I could suggest you to join this gym that trains fighters"

I can't take this quote seriously. Our high school had a dog as a mascot and put this on everything. Plus it's fucking dumb anyway

I've briefly done Kungfu, boxing & kickboxing.

Kung Fu was pretty cool, and kinda stupid at the same time. I mean, no doubt our trainer was amazing at it and would probably rekt anyone I know cause he was like 6"5 220lbs and had scary speed and power.

Kickboxing was excellent for fitness, and had some of the hardest training routines and pad sessions I've ever done. The technique takes ages to learn, you'd be surprised at how shitty people are at kicking in their first few months. Most of it is hip movement.

Boxing was great fitness, great technique and just awesome fun. Best thing about boxing is learning how to take a punch and learning how to dodge a punch, mixed with conditioning I think it's the best overall.

To conclude I'd go for boxing because you can learn the most in a shorter time and the fitness and conditioning is great. Also, I've never tried to use a head kick in a street fight, it's way too risky and my 1-2 combo has saved me from being killed a few times, especially considering the amount of people who just throw wild haymakers. The jab will always be the first to connect.

Most of all it really depends on the trainer and and club too, because theyll play an important role in how much you will learn + progress. Good luck.

Karate Do and Shotokan are great if you start young, you get a great base for fighting, you learn how to go in & out very effectively and you get technique speed power timing precision and anticipation out of the years doing it. However since I bet you don't want to waste years going over the basics, kyokushin will let you progress faster and teach you more explosiveness which is what you'll need most in a street fight.
You're fucking stupid if you don't respect mma as a sport and as a competitive form of martial arts. MMA athletes are among the best athletes in the world, most well trained and well rounded people. They have to expect everything and always be ready to use the vast arsenal of moves you can do at the right time, while on top of that having incredible cardio. I know that for street fighting there are better options, but all of them are self defence and not actual martial arts.
I agree with you mostly but if you find a good gym/trainer, you will be better off starting with mma because you get a good base for everything and you don't learn bad habits (e.g. boxing techniques will leave you open to get taken down or kicked) which are considerably hard to unlearn.
Quote sucks but it was the only related thing to put as an image. Just happened to be in my motivational folder.

I feel that everyone who has learned how to guard their head properly through limited ma experience (or instructional videos, kek) is pretty much protected from the jab, however
1. Hook will catch them off-guard
2. They will usually move their head back to not get hit by the jab, which means their chin is up and the cross will do way more damage
3. If you can follow up with a good combo, such as 1-4-3-6 or 1-1-4-3(body)-3(head) and be really fast and explosive they can't answer/parry/move away so they get ktfo

what do your numbers stand for.

1-4-3-6 is jab, right uppercut, left hook, right overhand
1-1-4-3-3 is jab-jab(to get them to put the hands way up)-right uppercut,left hook to the body, left hook to the head

some of the fittest people in the world do Crossfit too. but consider this:
>literally thousands of shady little clubs
>zero standards, zero oversight, everybody does it differently
>great way to get hurt
>broscience and bullshit everywhere
>most if not all "practitioners" are douchebags that can't STFU about their sport

how am I wrong MMA=CrossFit. it's toss up between which group is more annoying to be around
>Tapout shirt chads
vs
>Paleosupremacists

broscience doesn't work when they lock you in a cage with another guy. You gotta know that.
I agree that some gyms are shady and a lot of faggots do brag about it and show off, but that can be said about everything. I mean, I play guitar since I was 14, went through metal, rock, blues, classical, and now play jazz and prog and I can tell you that most teachers fucking suck and there are a lot of people who play guitar to show off.
I understand where you're coming from but don't let the shitty show-off side make you too angry to see the actual sport/martial art/discipline side.
Something like 8/10 people lift for bigger arms so that they can show off to girls and intimidate guys, but that doesn't mean the other 2 people who lift to better themselves, be stronger, healthier, and more disciplined deserve to be in the same basket.

It was seidokaikan actually

OP, only you can answer your question.

You need to GO and train at each one of these places. Put in a month at each one and see which clicks for you. See how well you communicate with the teachers/coaches. See how you get along with the other students; are they good training partners? Do they impress you, can they do what you want to do?

>wat style is strongest??
God I hate this. You can't just judge by the name over the door, every teacher and every school stands or falls on their own merits.

Go and find out. It is a journey worth making.

>taekwondo
ITF or WTF then go for it, if it's ATF then AVOID

Muay thai is top tier. Karate, kung-fu are mid. TKD is shit tier

They're both shit. iTF DQs you for KOing your opponent and penalises for hitting too hard. WTF encourages spinny shit and has zero punch defense. Neither have leg kicks.

Karate, kung fu and TKD are all shit with the exception of a couple karate styles

>What is the most enjoyable and useful in a hostile situation?

every single one of them excluding the retarded mcdojo shit, learn as many as you can, you're not limited to one

start with boxing as a base and move on to other more advanced shit, just never use anything other than boxing in a streetfight with other people around, if you start wrestling the guy you're fighting his friends are going to beat your ass to death with beer bottles

I'm not angry about it. I've been involved since UFC 1 and watched the whole progression from legit to quit, just like a previous generation watched the same thing happen to karate.

I would estimate 90% of the "MMA fighters" i have met have never competed outside their own gym let alone in a sanctioned cage fight. I've trained with world class competitors and I know good from bad. the sport is absolutely overrun with phoneys and tryhards right now.

Crossfit was a good idea once too, you know. don't take it too hard

Yeah. The headquarters has a big K-1 sign on it.

>seidokaikan
seidokai is kyukoshin
Iichi broke away from the main federation because he wanted to have his own tournament, the full contact kyukoshin tourneys had been underway for a while and Iishi didn't feel he was getting his due as No 1 student.

same fighting style, same initial format, same everything. All he did was change the name and form his own league.

I've ben practicing hapkido for four years now. I'd say it offers very much if you're just looking to whack them from a distance and fuck off quickly. Also some decent tools if you get grabbed close..
I know you said kung fu, karate and tkd but hapkido is very close to tkd. So dabble in tkd and you're probably very quick to pick up the more practical hapkido techniques.

I can't tell you very much about how well it translates into a real situation as I've only been attacked twice since I started and both occasions the other person was under the influence of alcohol or other drugs. Both times it ended with straight front kicks (ap chagi /ap mireo chagi) and me bolting away

This desu, I've dicked around with a few different systems for a short time, and the most practical thing to start with is boxing, it will get you up to speed on movement, distance, timing and hitting / taking hits faster than anything else, and the basics are simple enough to be drilled into habit quickly.

Iv done shaolin kung fu in the past and it doesnt translate over to real life well at all. I learned alot from doing it and it will make you tough but as far as fighting goes, it has very little real life applications.

>WTF encourages spinny shit and has zero punch defense. Neither have leg kicks

don't confuse the sport with the style, few clubs focus on the sport exclusively, TKD has a lot of hand work. a good club should also teach hapkido as well or at least have some knowledge of hapkido techniques.

nah its all about the ones and zeros in the Neo

The only martial art I want to do is Judo because it looks cool and is nihongo approved but I'm too lazy to drive there

>waahhh, the free market scares me
dood, its not that hard. Just find a good bjj or mma gym. its super simple if your not a poorfag.

It's shitty aikido combined with shitty tkd.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

>It's shitty aikido combined with shitty tkd.
it really isn't, like, i don't think it's possible to be less correct than you just were

>The art adapted from Daitō-ryū Aiki-jūjutsu as it was taught by Choi Yong-Sool when he returned to Korea after World War II, having lived in Japan for 30 years. This system was later combined with kicking and striking techniques of indigenous and contemporary arts such as taekkyeon

Literally aikido + tkd.