General run thread

General run thread

Why do I get out of breath quicker running outside than inside on the treadmill? Is it like this for everyone? I notice this much more when the air is cold outside, when its warm I dont notice it as much. I have asthma btw.

I've only got back into running over the last few weeks after a long absence. I have been lifting for about the past year. If I were to run three times a week, and lift weights for my upper body four times a week, will I still have a balanced physique? In other words can I just run as the workout for my legs and still build muscle, instead of squatting and doing the leg press etc?

Maybe its a different humidity? Maybe you are running faster outside and dont realize it cause you dont have the treadmill setting a constant speed for you.

You should do at least 2 leg exercises besides running imo. Do squats and lunges or something.

running in the treadmill and running on pavement are two completely different things.

depending on where you are running, sidewalks aren't perfectly level, so you may be going up a small grade when you think you're flat.

As another user said, you are pacing yourself, not the treadmill.

tldr; humans are bad estimators of speed and elevation.

Its a pace thing,running on a treadmill forces you to stay at a set pace so your body gets in a rhythm with you steps, arms, and breathing. When you run on pavement you have to do all this manually until you figure out how to zone all that out and just run. Kind of getting into Runners High, I'm guessing you mostly run on a treadmill. I mostly run on pavement and when I try treadmill it fucks me all up.
If you want to build muscle running you have to run incline or on the beach, I noticed a huge difference when i went from a park to running along this steep bridge near me but its mostly in your calf, I thought I had big quads until i started doing leg work out.

Weight training for legs can help you be a better runner

>Why do I get out of breath quicker running outside than inside on the treadmill? Is it like this for everyone? I notice this much more when the air is cold outside, when its warm I dont notice it as much. I have asthma btw.

Because it's more work. You actually need to accelerate/move your body, not just your legs while staying in place.

If I want to return to running, but I had shin splints in November, how should I approach my training? I already have insoles and new shoes and all that stuff. Just wondering how I should pick it back up.
Currently doing 4 min. walking, 2 min. running, adding 30 secs of running every week.
Thoughts?

Mainly run outside, at the park, its not completley flat.

I often take like 5 days to recover after leg day in the gym, thats what is putting me off, would hinder how often I can run

At the moment I nor

what is the best form of cardio to improve cardiovascular health? longer sessions or higher intensity?

mainly trying to improve my cardio health to help fix my sleep apnea (already seeing a doctor about that)

lift more often. you will be less sore as you keep going with it

couch to 5k

you don't need 5 days to recover from leg day. its okay to lift when you have DOMS

What are your routines like?

I run for time.
Long run Mondays (yesterday was 60 mins)
4 other days 30-35 minutes.

Oddly I find myself tiring more quickly on my short runs. Advice on beginning speed work? There's a highschool with a track near my house. I've tried Fartlek in my short runs but it doesn't seem to be very effective for me.

Obviously I still train my upper body, what I mean is my legs are too sore/heavy to run after leg day

then you will have to do you run same day as leg day and have your lifts suffer or do run day, leg day, rest day in that order until you are fit enough to run after leg day

There are a number of reasons which have already been touched on in this thread. I'll throw another in the pot: wind resistance. On a treadmill, you're staying in place and so are not encountering wind resistance. Outside it isn't the same. I'd recommend setting the treadmill to a 1% incline if you want to mimic outdoor conditions as best as possible.

>1%
Top kek

do you have outdoor allergies in addition to asthma OP? When I run outside I get really congested and it triggers my asthma almost immediately, but inside I can go much longer before my chest starts burning. I started couch25K about 5 weeks ago and the set pacing of running/walking has really helped me build lung capacity, if you're struggling you should try it.

What's the joke?

15:40 5k guy here, ran in college, still make a few bucks every other weekend winning small road races. AMA if anyone is interested.

did you run 5k?

got you bro

XC was 8 or 10k, indoor was 3k and 5k, outdoor was 5k/10k.

Allergies, blow snot rockets while running outside

Running outside is easier for me, I think it's a mental stimulation thing.

I set inclune at 1% to minic outdoor running on the treadmill, that's the figure studies seem to agree on.

Side note, how good is a 20min 5k? Is it at least 90th percentile?

what was your mileage like in school?
I ran D3 and ran 3:55 1500m/14:49 5k and did such high mileage in school it really made me lose a passion for running. Between 85 - 105 miles per week for months at a time. I get out 2-3 times a week for a few miles at a time now. I realize I don't really like running that much as I like racing and winning.

>higher intensity?
Burns fat better
>longer (mild) sessions
Is better overall for the cardiovascular health

When I run on a treadmill, I get bad shin pain before I even can get out of breath, when I run outside, I don't get shin pain. Does this happen to anyone else?

That's interesting to hear. Shin pain usually is less on softer surfaces, like a treadmill compared to concrete.

20 min 5k isn't dickin around. I'd say that falls in the 90th percentile. You gotta realize most people can't even hit a 7 minute mile.

I ran 30-40 as a HS freshman and added 10 mpw each year of HS and 5 mpw each year of college. 100+ mile weeks... I've done a few. Very hard to maintain, physically and mentally. Doing all my easy runs on trails or with a gf always helped a lot. The teams in both HS and colleges did easy runs on our own, which was good.

There are two types of successful college runners. There are runners who happen to like competing, and competitors who happen to like running. No shame in being one or the other, but I always felt the latter struggled more than the former.

Car exhaust. Try running at like 6 AM and you won't have this problem.

>I notice this much more when the air is cold outside
I hate running when it's cold out. When I start breathing harder, it feels like the cold air is freezing my throat and making it tighten. So yeah, I guess it happens to me too, I start having difficulty breathing much quicker when it's cold out. Like I said, and it might be my imagination, but it FEELS like the cold tightens your trachea.

I've been trying to start running, but it gets boring quickly, so I want to start listening to music. What kinds of headphones do you guys use when running?

im not really interested in burning fat since my bodyfat isn't too high. but I really need to improve my cardiovascular health

thanks

What did you run for 400?
How fast were you in high school?
How fast are you now?

It is very hard to build much muscle with distance running, you either need special genetics that would build muscle off of ballet or anything at all, or you need a big caloric surplus. It can give you extremely good definition though. If you want to actually build muscle off of running you have to be hitting the anaerobic side of it, sprinting is the way to do it. I think the best thing for you is to keep up whatever running program you're doing and switch one of your upper body days to lifting legs.

>I often take like 5 days to recover after leg day in the gym
I wonder if you could find an alternative, like hiking?

You are a pussy I do 5x5 2-3 days a week while running 40 miles per week on 6 days a week of running, it will feel like shit for about a month then you get survival muscles and actually adapt to it.

as a fellow asthmatic runner (former body builder) yes this happens. you are still building your base. treadmills are steady state running. outside your body is doing the work.
you know what htey say, embrace the pain, get comfortable being uncomfortable. weathers changing so you should be alright soon.
if you really want to zone out get out on some trails. FUCK ROAD RUNNING.

and this helped me with the dragon lung. i purchased a 2l water bag. i run with it all the time even short runs on cold days. i keep the sprocket in my mouth and i sip a litlte bit frequently. this keeps the sugar thickness thinned out and also the hot throat/ hot lung issue at bay. it will help you run harder faster longer.

read born to run if you havent already or get the audio.

>15:40 5k
>ran in college
Nigga what

I thought you had to be sub 15:30 to run in college

>23
>74 kg
>flabby as fuck
>Just ran a mile in 7 min and 9 secs

Is this a good run time? Two weeks ago my fastest was 8 min and 40 secs and I just quit smoking at the time. Goal is to hit 6 mins by next month. But yeah, is a 7 minute mile something to be proud of?

Hey runladds, I am looking to include some sprints into my life because reasons, how do I minimise the impact this will have on my strength training?

I'm lifting three times a week and, and playing sports twice a week. So far the advice I can find online says to do sprints/plyometrics on different days, or at least to do them in the morning, so what I'm thinking is

>Mon
am sprints
pm lift

Tue
am sprints

Wed
Lift either am or pm

Thurs
Sports practice pm

Fri
Lift either am or pm

Sat
Game day

Sun
Rest day, maybe recovery lifting day

Any suggestions? Criticisms of my plans?

I never ran an open 400 in a race, but I did split 57 in a relay (relay splits are usually a bit faster).
My HS times were 2:05 800m, 4:32 1600m, 9:44 3200m, and 16:31 5k XC. College times were 4:13 1500m, 8:55 3k, 15:40 5k, and 32:17 10k.
I haven't raced in a while, but I'm older now (28) and between wife and grad school (minor gains goblins) I'm closer to 16:30 right now for 5k.

It depends on where you go. D3 and D2 programs have much more relaxed standards. I did run D1 but for a program with little scholarship money to give. We did have a relatively new coach my first year, so I was actually one of our top XC guys when I was a freshman, then barely on the travel squad by the time I was a senior despite big improvements; the caliber of runners we recruited just got better and better.

But yeah, mid 15s for 5k is pretty pedestrian at the D1 level.