Mental Gains

> ITT Mental Gains

What have you been doing to improve yourself as person? We're all improving ourself physically, but what are you doing to improve yourself psychologically?

for example:
> be me
> have horrible arachnophobia
> pic related is my pet tarantula

Half-way through Aristotle's Politics, and I don't know how

is it boring?

I'm such a judgemental asshole but I guess it comes from my insecurities
But lately everytime I'm about to judge someone I'll remind myself of that line by Chance from Ultralight Beams that goes "no one can judge" and I'm kicking the habit slowly

read this series.
Dalinar for mental gainz
Kaladin for physical/moral gainz
Shallan for LONDON

It is, but it's that type of boring like...
Like when you and someone you love ran out of things to talk about. There's still a lot of good there, it just isn't what you want in that moment, but its something good in the long run.

Kinda the deal with all of his works. Nichomachian Ethics is a masterpiece, I totally recommend it

>if I read X book I will somehow automatically become mentally stronk
>implying reading=understanding
>implying you wouldn't end up with some pleb-tier interpretation of what you've read
>implying that would stop you from having a false sense of superiority anyway
Kek

Dear lord. I'd bet my left nut you're under the age of 20.

Judgmentality always struck me as something done by good people when they're in a bad mood.
They just want things to be better, but they come off as an ass when they word it out

thanks user, this made me feel a little better about my judgmental-ness

I've accidentally came across as a judgmental, condescending asshole many a time by accident. I really mean well, or dont mean anything at all, but I have a natural resting bitch face and a deep voice that doesn't help peoples perception of what I'm saying.

Woah, calm down. I can see where you read what I said why you wanted to try and bust me for it, but I don't understand why your first instinct is to think the worst.

I just watched an existential video called "Love is Madness" and it kinda got to me, judge less

>I don't understand why your first instinct is to think the worst.
I'm a Space Marine, son

>applying Stoicism to daily life and using it to combat clinical depression and anger issues
>doing things that make me anxious but are better in the long run
>training to become a carpenter--specifically, I want to work on office buildings and shit (not homes/furniture) because I have a phobia of heights and it will help
>constantly learning about things that interest me and teaching others what I've learned--especially my black brethren, lord knows some of them need it

Just make the best of what you've got, you don't need to rework your entire personality. Instead perfect it by making sure it's with pure purpose and virtue

Thanks for your service, dad

>muh feeeeelssss

>is a space marine
why dont you just eat a brain or two and learn everything you need to that way?

Typical trade skill dumb ass. You're just as dumb as the brothers you work with. Sad truth is that you don't see this.

"I've known so many intelligent people who spend their time making fun of people over the internet"
-No One Ever

Got honor roll without even trying/studying in one of the top high schools in MA, could get into mensa if I wanted but fuck that. I may not be your definition of intelligent, but I'm certainly not stupid.

Also journeyman carpenters can make upwards of $80k a year here, and I like building shit.

>if i workout X muscle I will somehow automatically become stronk
>implying lifting=healthy
>implying you wouldn't end up with some pleb-tier body of a non-natty
>implying that would stop you from having a false sense of superiority anyway
Kek

i literally reset my brain

Explain.

> literally
user

>be at costco
>50 lbs of flour for 8 bucks
>its 4 bucks for a 5 lb bag at the grocery store
>think "why the fuck not", buy it

>wait shit what do i do with all this flour
>go to library
>steadily read every book they have about bread while making bread constantly
>can consistently produce better bread than anything from a store, except an artisan bakery
>gaining mastery over a skill that isn't lifting, but still an insecure DYEL

This is the best thing ever

ya

severe traumatic brain damage

relearned to have an ego, to speak, to see

shit was cash

did you end up becoming a better person than you were?

i wish i could do that

how do i be more patient???? srs

Nice user, I can't fuck with tarantulas anymore after handling a husk of one in lab and seeing those giant ass chilicerea, nope fuck that

I keep seeing that fucking spider every time I scroll down the page

thought you might like this user

Fuck the other dude, good on you user for finding ways to combat depression and anger and doing something with your life

Reading for fun again. Gonna try and switch it up between fiction and non-fiction. Just finished 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, am now reading Scott Ian's autobiography, and then gonna dive into H.P. Lovecraft's stories.

Hiking/camping season is coming up too - hoping to use that as an opportunity to learn more about the area around the city that I live in, as well as using that time to get away from electronics and reflect on some things.

Put the finishing touches on a personal development plan. I now have clear goals that I can work towards, and it helps me feel like my life is going in a particular direction and that I have total control over it.

Next project is making more friends outside of work. I took for granted how easy it is to meet people in college, and now that I've graduated I realized that I don't ever meet new people unless I'm at work. Thinking of finding some kind of club/organization/volunteer work to go to on the weekends.

bro im pretty sure if you have 'horrible arachnophobia' you wont be able to own a pet spider ffs

Getting 20% in tests
Failing at just about everything I try to do

well I do and I am so go fuck yourself

it gives me a sense of power when I trap the thing I fear in a cage and have complete control over its life

also, I can watch it without the fear of it attacking me

sharpie in cage

I dont have a sharpie

same spidey btw

Trying to cut down on as much instant gratification activities as possible and focus on delayed gratification.

Finding it incredibly difficult though. Need to get off 4chin. Lots and laughs and great times but we are all crabs in a bucket and the negativity of this place is definitely not worth it.

realize its doesnt matter if you do something now, or later. As long as you still get to do it.

morning routines are king. i read books and try to improve myself everyday. i stopped hanging around a lot of negative people and i'm slowly stopping myself from being so negative.

also running is huge for mental gains.

What always helps me is to try and imagine ancient authors as more than just authors. I try to imagine them as people. Books like that are more than just a theory, they are the ideas of someone who looked at his society and saw a bunch of things that he thought were wrong. Not unlike how we look at today's society.