What is the best way to get strong in ohp?

What is the best way to get strong in ohp?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CnBmiBqp-AI
youtube.com/watch?v=E7fB1RFStEM
youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU
youtube.com/watch?v=3nJrYPVJ88M
youtube.com/watch?v=WnJd42b3EfI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's an OHP?

Don't you mean TP?

Training OHP

/thread

Keep ohping until you are better at it

Literally, pick heavy things up and put them down for a reasonable period of time

Increasing 1kg instead of 2kg
Adding heavy lateral raises (thumbs higher than pinky) to your routine if you bench more/as much as you ohp
Adding push presses to your routine
Adding weighted dips, specially if you don't bench more/as much as you ohp
Doing the hip thrust at the start (pic related) youtube.com/watch?v=CnBmiBqp-AI
Making sure your glutes and core are tight youtube.com/watch?v=E7fB1RFStEM
Presenting your chest to the ceiling at the start (either hinging at the hip or at the lower back)
Using a narrower grip youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU

By pressing a lot.

Doing a lot of presses (many sets), often (more than twice a week).
Barbell presses, dumbell presses, one arm dumbell presses

>Adding heavy lateral raises (thumbs higher than pinky) to your routine if you bench more/as much as you ohp
Everyone should bench more than they press...

Probably meant in terms of volume rather than weight

>Using a narrower grip
Yes and no. Don't go too narrow.

Guys, my OHP right now is 75kg @ 77kg BW.
I don't bench but I OHP 3x week and lateral raises 2-3x week. Light and strict for 4x15.

It's magic.

Ah, okay, thanks.

>Yes and no. Don't go too narrow.

Literally watch the video, no one is telling you to go as narrow as possible.

The video is kinda wrong though.
You don't need the bar right above the elbow, bent wrists are fine.
You also don't need to have the forearms perpendicular to the floor, some strong pressers have them at a (slight) angle.

In the end, you just need to try it all out and see what works best for you.

Trappy, explain how this doesn't lead to back snap city?

>video talks about min-maxing the efficiency of the lift

>user argues that those things are not needed

No one is saying they're "needed" mate.

triggered

It's implied that they're needed for a best performance lift.
And that's just not true.

Sit down on the floor, extend your feet, press. It's hard as fuck. Harder than normal sitting OHP. It trains your core like no other press.

No, it's implied they are useful for maximum performance.

And that's true.

Keep in mind just because someone who's very strong can lift it with non-min-maxed form doesn't mean that's their maximum performance.

Reddit please.

>thumbs higher than pinky

what the fuck does this mean

don't internally rotate shoulders, so you don't fuck them up

these "rules" should only be tried to see if they help, not adhered to.

Not putting the bar above your wrists is just thinking yourself m8

>is just thinking yourself m8
>thinking yourself
wat

>these "rules" should only be tried to see if they help, not adhered to.

Thanks captain obvious.

You'd be surprised how many people adhere to these kinds of rules (Rippetoe tards anyone?).

It's also "obvious" that lats don't really help for benching and pressing, yet many people believe so.

>rippetoe tards

Please stop posting.

>blatant shitposting

Please stop posting.

no u first

>hip thrust to activate pecs
>activate chest in a shoulder excercise

gee I hope you enjoy cheating yourself out of your shoulder gains

*gimping

My shitposting has gone mobile but the keyboard thinks it knows more about lifting than I do.

The clavicular chest is one of the strongest shoulder flexors mate. You'll be using it regardless of what you do.

>using more muscles to lift more weight is bad

Yeah compounds lifts really are cheating.

just look up some strong overhead presses on youtube, and you'll see that many won't have the bar directly above the wrist.

aren't you a fucking stick figure faggot tranny. stop giving shit advice you mentally ill freak

Because most are olympic weightlifters and press from the racking position.

Doesn't mean it's the best way of doing it though.

better do cheat curls, more muscles amirite.
better do jerks instead of ohp, more weight more muscles amirite.

Not just the oly lifters.
Just look it up on youtube, mate.

>better do cheat curls, more muscles amirite.

Cheat curls are used all the time mate, what are you on about.

>better do jerks instead of ohp, more weight more muscles amirite.

Different exercise. You should've said push press instead.
In any case, there's nothing wrong with jerks either.

Reading comprehension: F

You get enough of a chest workout with bench, even dips, no need to reduce the shoulder part of the only exercise that trains your shoulders.

But it will be used a lot less if you don't hip thrust and develop much bigger shoulders. Otherwise you might as well just do clean&jerk if you love compounds that much.

>Different exercise
that's the point, you dummy.
if you use your legs at the start, you'll use your shoulders, it's a different exercise.

rip your shoulder gains

you'll use your shoulders less*

You're not reducing the shoulder part though. Your shoulders are still working their max. You're just allowing yourself to lift heavier for more gains.

Doing ohp.

>allowing yourself to lift heavier

Dude it's not about what you allow yourself but about how strong you are. If you can't lift it up straight from resting position with hip thrusting or pushing with your legs, you simply don't have enough strength in your shoulders. You are cheating yourself out of the first segment of the mention by using stronger muscles to accelerate the weight.

Deltoids are still the limiting muscles (for shoulder flexion/abduction) even if you increase the contribution of the chest to the press.
Allowing your chest to contribute more will only be a benefit, as you'll be able to press heavier weights and keep continuously applying progressive overload to the shoulder muscles.

Your shoulders will not be working less, they will still be the limiting factor (for shoulder flexion/abduction).

In any case, your chest will still be doing a lot of work regardless if you do it 100% strict or not. See pic (Black lines show data for abduction, and gray lines indicate flexion.)

*without hip thrusting or pushing

fug

You're mixing up two different things.
Leg drive (upwards momentum generated by the quads) reduces the job of the deltoids.
Hip thrusts (forwards momentum generated by the glutes and hamstrings) do not.

"Adding more chest" doesn't lower the contribution of the deltoids either, as the deltoids are the limiting muscles for the movement.

I fucking hate you. But good advice.

Guess I will have to give it a try next session.

nobody does ohp for chest gains, you mentally ill DYEL

no, it's shit advice.

actual good avice would be: press more, sets/frequency/whatever.

You'll be making chest gains regardless of what you do bby. See the picture on It's just how the human body works, the chest is there to help the deltoids and vice-versa.

I just assumed he's doing a good program already. Not everything can be fixed as easily as that, and there's lots of value into working on form and using accessories to strengthen your weaknesses.

your advice is shit bby.
it's just how the human body works.

that chart makes the press seem like a pseudo-olympic press

wtf is this garbage?

why hip thrust 2 times? do they stop at figure 2? thats fucking retarded
also figure 3 is almost a bench press without bench

it's the old school olympic press. the technique used for the clean & press back in the 70s before it was banned from competition

makes sense they banned that

youtube.com/watch?v=3nJrYPVJ88M

that looked kind of different from the pic, though he bent back quite far

This is probably the most impressive thing I've ever seen out of any fitness video ever. I've watched it dozens of times over the years and it never gets old.

The clean-ness of the lift. The sound of the plates rattling. The crowd cheering. The victory jump afterward.

500 FUCKING POUNDS

The vast majority can't even hope to deadlift that much, and he throws it up to his shoulders and overhead like nothing.

What a fucking god.

500 POUNDS

though it's more of a half bench rather than a press

Kill yourself for repeating what that faggot Medhi blabs off on his shitty SL website

Who even gives a fuck if it's a half bench whatever the fuck that means even 500 lbs bench is absurd you fucknut and he still has to lock it out at the top

Fuck right off

Another very impressive press, but this time it's an OHP not an olympic youtube.com/watch?v=WnJd42b3EfI

Literally just eat more and increase the weight. You could also start by making sure your form is correct.

I can't see his hip thrust?

and he didnt bend his knees either

hip thrust is rippetoe's quirk added to the press. a standard military press has no hip movement

Klokov bends the lower back instead of hinging at the hips.