A pound is 16 ounces

>a pound is 16 ounces
>an ounce is also a measure of volume
>a pint is 20 ounces
>a gallon is 160 ounces
>a foot is 12 inches
>a mile is 5280 feet
>sub-inches are not counted as decimal numbers but as arbitrary fractions

When will this shitty imperial meme end?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YtLEWVu815o
youtube.com/watch?v=QeMhmYE_V9g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

When a President passes an Executive Order switching to the metric system over a period of years. The only reason we haven't switched already is that it's prohibitively expensive to re-work an infrastructure as large as the US. The cost of doing so far outweighs the potential (non monetary) benefits of an easy-to-use measuring system.

But if a President were able to do it by executive order, he'd only need control of half of ONE House to make it stick. And once everything is changed, the next president probably wouldn't care enough to try to change it back.

But Russia also went to the moon and were also the first in space my friend of larger proportions.

Carter tried to do this exact thing, it didn't pan out.

Russia didn't go to the moon, it sent equipment to the moon. No cosmonauts had ever set foot on the moon.
>united States of space

You don't have to take it personally Cletus, I'm just criticizing your shitty system of measurement.

are we not going to talk about the fucking picture

>he thinks NASA uses the fuck retarded imperial system

I think it's part of the new CORE curriculum, or whatever it's called. For arithmetic operations the kids are taught to break the numbers down into manageable components, add those to a rounded number like 10, then add the remainder. It looks counter-intuitive to those that didn't learn it growing up, but I think it gives the kids a better sense of what addition is, and that the other operations are really just different forms of addition.

No its just retarded.
Also even the fucking question is grammatically incorrect
>tell how to
Jesus Christ America fix your shit for fuck sake

>tfw they had to make space unownable to keep the us from claiming it all
T o p k e k

Do you know that THE pound, by the very definition in the book is exactly 0.45359237 kg
in other words the pound's existence is completely based on the existence of the kg, i.e. if the kg wouldn't exist you wouldn't be able to define how much 1 pound is or all the other measurements you use

btw THE kg is defined by a sphere that is by definition 1kg, they actually count the atoms in that sphere to make sure it doesn't change

There are countries that use the metric system

and then are countries that land on the moon

Kill yourself euro trash

But that's an imperative, not a question.

the worst part about it is that there will be teachers who penalize kids by doing it the traditional way.

so, in a sense, the meme has ended over 50 years ago

Just as they would be 'penalized' in the past if they hit on this method on their own and used it. Unless the teacher was actually competent and recognized the rather clever trick the kid had come up with.

The correct statement would be either
>tell me how to
>demonstrate how to
Or ask it as a question
>tell how to
Is wrong.

funny, since all the imperial units are defined by metric units in the american registers

>and then are scientists who universally use the metric system because they're not retarded...that land on the moon

ftfy

is this fucking bait or are you really this stupid?

You don't need a direct object with an imperative, as you can see withe 'demonstrate'. Stop pretending you know what you're talking about.

dude the imperial weight units are officialy defined by the metric units
or in your language: the pound is the little bitch of the kg

the wording of this particular question is retarded but yes, you should absolutely penalize a kid if they don't actually learn what addition means

memorizing how to line up numbers, carry ones, and borrow never actually teaches a student the significance of numbers or the nature of place value and what it represents

That said, I think the process is pretty retarded for 8+5. The method makes more sense with larger numbers e.g. 283+355

200+300=500
50+50=100
30+3+5=38

500+100+38=638

>it's a "Veeky Forums hates common core" episode
I thought we went through this already
That's not the point of common core. Common core is trying to fix the problem of tradidtional teaching, where students are just asked to find numerical answers to problems. It's trying to get students to grasp the fact that numerals are just symbols we assign values to. This will help the kids understand the concepts instead of just the operations when they get into calc or abstract algebra.

The teaching methods look awkward because
1. You're not familiar it
2. It's still in its infancy
3. Introducing abstract concepts to kids isn't easy
Being a maths tutor, it astounds me that there are still students that can't make the connection that the statement "for all x in R" is not the same as "x is a number". I've had him writting down |x-y|=x+y for fuck's sake.

It's easy to bash shit you don't understand, so take a step back and go fuck yourselves. You don't understand the pain of watching kids struggling with the simplest of concepts due to traditional education. It's annoying to the point of feeling sorry for the kid.

>what is comparing two units and calculating conversion rate

Do you really think someone took a kg and decided they are now going to use 0.45359237 of that as their primary unit?

Oh, and I'm a yuro fag.

No
That's bullshit, you could just make up any old shit.

10=(8/32) *325/95-3/11*127-0.19639328063241
Then add 5

I'm not bashing it, I've been defending it.

Yeah the last message was directed to the ones bashing it.

>Common core is trying to fix the problem of tradidtional teaching, where students are just asked to find numerical answers to problems.
>problem of tradidtional teaching where students are just asked to find numerical answers to problems.
>someone who can't spell traditional correctly thinks traditional methods are bad and is defending this unnecessary method
top fucking kek

>implying any human has ever set foot on the moon

Kids are already too stupid to learn traditional ways. Making them do whatever they want to make a number isn't going to help.

>divide 8 by 2
>take 2 away from 5
>times 4 by 2
Add those

It's fucking retarded and all it allows is for kids to do whatever the fuck they want

>add those two up to get 13
>times that by 10
>divide that by 13
>10

It's basically the hugbox equivalent of math. Then once they get to real problems when they don't use this method they're fucked.

This is math now. Defend it

You can have our Imperial Measurements when you pry them from my cold, dead hands, Commies.

>"Oh, look at me, my units of measurement make sense! A base 10 system is logical!"

Piss off.

>AMERIBURGER MATH

CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP

How does knowing all those operations yield the same answer negatively affect them? What about creative problem-solving qualifies as a 'hugbox'?

Today i helped my baby cousin do 15x15. I told him 10x15 is 150 and half of 150 is 75(stuff he knows). So its 225 together.

Mind blown. Some kids just cant break things down intuitively.

He would do 5x5 5x1. Then next row 1x5 and 1x1. Then add it up.

You can't say " it's already bad enough so why fix it?" It's defeatist. Anyways OP's pic is, first of all, taken out of context and, second of all, just a small part of what common core is trying to teach. Using it to bash CC is just stupid.
>still doesn't understand what CC does
>hurr if you weren't given specific instructions like a machine then you're coddled
Are you seriously this stupid? "Letting them do whatever they want" makes them think about the symbolic manipulations instead of just values being pushed around. If they can do it then they'd get a full mark, the method doesn't matter. Them saying "hurr I can't" shows that they don't underatand shit.

Ayy

Agreed. I realized a little while ago that i actually used the common core method when i was younger, but never for something small like 8+5. I was a lot better than a lot of kids in my class so hopefully common core actually does help

Nigga you don't understand.
They always had their own weights, however the actual weight of those changed over time. So to stop it from changing they just measured the official pound of that point in time and it just happened to be ~0.45 kg. After that point, a pound was always exactly defined by kgs.
1kg was initially the mass of water at 4° that fits within 10cm^3. They made an equal weight of platinum to be THE reference kg and contained it airtight to make sure it never changes weight. However, it still ended up changing weight, until they came up with the atom counting of a 1kg ball of silicon, which was the point when 1kg forever stayed exactly 1kg.

Either way, many years before they had the atomic kg, the platinum kg was the most accurate thing and so both the US and UK defined their measurements by the kg standard.

America: https: //books.google.de/books?id=4aWN-VRV1AoC&pg=PA13&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

UK
>The yard or the metre shall be the unit of measurement of length and the pound or the kilogram shall be the unit of measurement of mass by reference to which any measurement involving a measurement of length or mass shall be made in the United Kingdom; and- (a) the yard shall be 0.9144 metre exactly; (b) the pound shall be 0.45359237 kilogram exactly.
>—Weights and Measures Act, 1963, Section 1(1)

Yes, because all verbs work the same way. I bet when someone says something to you about a toucan you start wondering who's the subject.

>has anybody ever been as far as decided however want to

wat

It's not an arbitrary process, though. A good corollary is how we teach differentiation at the beginning of calculus.

>slope formula
>limit as dx goes to zero

except it's entirely unwieldy to do that for every equation, so we teach basic rules like the power rule, product rule, chain rule, etc. to get to the answer quick. We only teach students this after they really understand what derivation actually MEANS

We just can't understand the struggle because we, as adults, think of the mechanism of addition or subtraction as second nature. You add things onto other things, or you take things away.

Young minds don't always understand such a simple thing. Believe it or not, they don't actually get that adding 2 apples to 2 apples means MORE APPLES, let alone four apples. That's why asking a kid basic math usually results in them using their fingers and saying "this many."

It's also why you thought some of the kids in high school were actually retarded because they couldn't understand why exponential graphs curve or roughly sketch a parabola given an equation

>Mfw a communist almost won the election in your country
Cucked by yourself, lmao

american was destroyed in the space race pretty much across the board except for the (pointless) task of going to the moon, lmao.

funny fact: a few days after russia launched sputnik, america launched their own version and it exploded upon take off, the next day russia offered the US money from an aid program it had for developing countries, cheeky as fuck.

Almost? He hasn't made it to the general and probably won't.

So are you actually saying that having pounds, ounces, pints, gallons, inches, foot and miles makes more sense than just having grams, liters and meters?

>Young minds don't... get that adding 2 apples to 2 apples means MORE APPLES
how young are we talking about here, like 6 years old?
if they dont understand adding makes more, then they have not grasped the concept of adding.

all imperial units are defined by metric units
the only reason for mperial units to still exist is because murritards would commit suicide if they would just officially change everything to kgs directly, though in effect they already have the metric system

We're Americans. Logic is never included in our plans and it keeps you confused long enough for us to recklessly act.

i legit think that part of the problem is america's attitude towards foreign countries

you guys think of other countries as interesting little oddities who must be feared.

>it keeps you confused long enough for us to recklessly act.
Right babe?

>America "destroyed" in space race
>USSR tried and failed to go to the moon
>USSR cosmonaut knowingly takes a hurried up mission that will fail so Gagarin doesn't have to, is killed, just to attempt to keep up with US
>USSR very likely killed off its most well-known hero cosmonaut, Gagarin, for unpopular opinions
>USSR dissolved
>cheeky as fuark

...that's the point

they haven't grasped the concept of adding, which is why we're teaching them the CONCEPT of adding and not the convenient process of lining up numbers and carrying/borrowing

Where does the final add 3 in the picture go? Write that out in traditional way please. Is it something like 8+(5-3) = 10? Or like are they just literally taking the 2 OUT of 5 to get 8+2...but then where does the 3 go HOLY CRAP I'm not even getting this

what was wrong with the old method? adding is a pretty basic concept. the only thing more basic is learning the numbers themselves.

except you left out all the parts where the soviet union beat the US ie everything outside of the moon landings

all with worse tech as well. if the US can send a man on a mission to space in a shuttle, the soviets could do it in a tin can.

maybe america isn't the greatest country in the world, yankeedoole.

I think they want
8+5 =
***10*** (((+3)))

We all know Latvia is the greatest country. They only fall behind in supermarket roof construction.

lmao NASA uses the International System of Units.

The US military also.

I'll admit I didn't go far in math and I don't know if this means something or you're just fucking around. I'm inclined towards the latter though...

To tell isn't a reflexive verb and, again, it's in the command form. Again, quit posing.

like I already said, they don't get it
when you first teach adding to kids, they don't even understand 2+2 is greater than 2, let alone 2+2=4

when you get them to a point where they need to add more than single digit numbers, place values are obviously important. These methods teach kids that 11 means "one ten and one one." A huge number of kids never learn such a basic idea.

Think of it this way. They never learn that 20+90=110 because 20 more than 90 is 110. They learn that 20+90=110 because that's the number they get when they line them up and add the digits places, carrying a 1 when necessary.

They learn a process to find an answer and are never taught what the answer actually means.

first satellite, first animal in space, first man, first woman, first duo, first spacewalk, first spacestation

The US sent men to space and the moon in a capsule, not a space shuttle (what is Mercury, Apollo, Gemini?). The Rooskies built a shuttle as well, dipshit. Yes, the Soviets sent a satellite and man into space first, I'm not arguing that. That "worse tech" caused more deaths, so it shouldn't be something to be proud of. The US sent up the first comms and navigation satellite (which you use everyday), among other things, so it looks like the Soviet Union didn't win everything outside of the moon landings, did it? I never said America was the greatest, either. I was arguing against the stupid "cheeky as fuck" statement.

Math is logic built on previous logic.
You miss a step you fuck up the logic chain.

The reason little kids count on their fingers is cos they cant grasp numbers quick enough. Like ask how much is 4, then they start counting in sequence to reach 4. Its rote learning, and it is absolutely necessary before kids start doing sums in their heads

High school maths is an extension of that. Kids get left behind cos their fundamentals are weak or non existant. They simply dont have the proficiency in the basic concepts in order to learn the advanced ones

the most retarded thing is when measuring food. 1 cup , 1/2 cup, etc
if my cup is 500ml big and another one is 200ml which one do i use?
But when someone says i eat 100grams of rice you can fuckin measure it accurately with a fuckin kitchen scale and it will be the same worldwide.

>2. It's still in its infancy

So it's not fit for purpose but it's being forced through anyway

>pointless task of going to the moon
I mean it was the end goal of the space race

Sounds to me like they dont even know how much 2 or 4 is. Like they have no idea 4 is more than 2.

If a kid knows what a plus sign means, he can understand the notation. The only reason i see that a kid doesnt know 20+90 is 90 more than 20 is if he has no idea what a plus means

I actually have nothing wrong with this image.
This is how I do larger calculations.

My mental math abilities are really good.
I've been told by multiple people.

That's literally the most pretentious thing I have ever heard. How many adults do you know don't understand that 20 dollars more than 90 is 110 dollars? None, because we all successfully learned basic concepts like that as children. It's narcissistic to think everyone except you is literally too dumb to understand the concept of addition and subtraction.

>My mental math abilities are really good.
>I've been told by mom and granny

Cups are standard in cooking senpai

I've been told by college peers. (Engineering)

first time I heard it was elementary school though.

I don't know why some neckbeard thinks this claim is so outrageous.

Yes. Imperial units can be derived from the human body and otherwise easily visualised. They're easy to work with and allow common fractions that are whole numbers.

Metric units were derived from a mismeasurement. They were completely arbitrary and unrelatable from the very beginning.

brb enjoying my metric week in revolutionary France

I thought this was a fitness board...

>theyre easy to work with
Top kek.
They are absolutely retarded for converting, but i guess if you dont do any operations whatsoever with imperial units, they are intuitive

You're speaking from a position of an adult who has to use basic calculations like this every day.

This is the struggle children actually go through.

For comparison, children on average don't understand that the volume of water is conserved even if you pour it into a different container until ages 7 to 11. Pic and vid related.

youtube.com/watch?v=YtLEWVu815o

Their minds literally aren't fully capable yet. The point of this education is to encourage their mind to develop these concepts that seem 100% obvious to us.

Yes, we've all learned this. You've made the false assumption, though, that we all learned it in grade school, and we all learned it because of the traditional process of adding by hand.

In reality, we all learned it eventually because humans are intuitive and

>yfw NASA used metric units to go to the moon

>this is the struggle kids go through
Learning things by rote? You cant "intuit" math notation friend, you drill it over and over until you memorise it.
That is the only struggle they go through

Well youre right that the method doesnt teach the significance of numbers and place value.
That should already be a given if youre teaching the method. The reason it confuses kids is that they havent grasped the basic notation yet.

x + (8 + 5) = 10
x = (-3)

you make 10 when adding 8 + 5 to (-3)

We're not talking about notation. We're talking about math.

The kids don't know what adding means. We're teaching them the notation before the math. That's literally the problem.

The fact that you're saying you have to drill it over and over and can't learn it actually almost proves that you might not have ever really grasped concepts yourself beyond add, subtract, multiply, and divide

There's a reason electromagnetics researchers can roughly visualize 3-dimensional + complex-domain time shift behavior of conductors on subtrates, and it's not because they have a rote memorization of Maxwell's Equations.

Explain what you mean by notation. The goal of most of these programs is to teach the concepts WITHOUT notation first. The point is that the concept has to be solidified in their mind first, or the notation at worst muddles their understanding and at best acts as a crutch.

The kids who excelled at math, traditionally, are the ones whose minds could solidify these ideas faster.

Conceptualisation is different from use. A kid might be able to conceptualise the number sequence 1,2,3... but knowing straight away that 7 is before 8 and after 6 and half of 14 and so on is memorisation. It is what allows people to add numbers fast and be useful in a situation.

>you dont need to drill math
Are you fucking shitting me. If you want to do it fast, you need to drill it. Like every other skill in the world. The researchers know what their graphs look like because theyve already seen a billion of them. It is fucking MEMORISATION.

Lmao get fukt third world countries

>For comparison, children on average don't understand that the volume of water is conserved even if you pour it into a different container until ages 7 to 11. Pic and vid related.
This isn't representative. They only had female children. I'm sure most boys would be able to see that it's still even.

>hurrr muh soggy knee
Women are dumber by nature, they have less neurons in their brains and their biological task is primarily to make more humans. Deal with it.

>Memorizing things is too hard

Suck it up cupcake. America is number 1. Deal with it.

>When will this shitty imperial meme end?
>Implying Metric isn't just as shitty, sometimes even in the exact same way as Imperial
I love it when idiots try and shit on a well established measuring rubric while having 0 understanding of it's reason for it's existence or the history of it
Quickest way to out yourself as an idiot imo

But the imperial system is brittish. That's why it's called imperial.

>RUSSIA #1!

>if you want to point out that stupid shit is stupid you have to read the history about said stupidity or you're an idiot

Haven't you even heard of a bureau of weights and measurements? They're sort of super fucking important.

This is such a stupid argument. The US is a metric country. Customary units are used for measurements, like they are in many other countries. The UK still uses miles and stone, various customary units of size and weight are used in real estate and markets, farming and industry all over the world. The only thing that makes the US and UK different are lower rates of adoption for metric units in road signage and customary speech. Everything is defined in metric units still, and most products are still labeled in metric.

You won't know its effectiveness until you try, also all the whining has been so far from the math illiterate parents, not from the students.

No student likes studying so why would you ask them.
School curriculum is now very politicized. Nobody really carss about education anymore, just numbers of graduates etc.

What I meant was there there were no major increase in failure rates after the implementation of ComCore.
>the point of ComCore is literally to improve general math literacy
>HURR IT'S ALL THE JEWS BEHIND IT
Take off that fucking aluminium hat you tard

i don't even know why I take the bait anymore
youtube.com/watch?v=QeMhmYE_V9g