/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General
A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
chinfl.blogspot co.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW

>helpful blog on some technique quirks:
yashathoughts.com

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

>Commisar's notes on the dank, zesty Meme Method (DZMM)
pastebin.com/u0jiY8sM

old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GTNP6dGoHGA
youtu.be/yMuuKlmdCmw
youtube.com/watch?v=rRi6VJMD83s&index=69
youtube.com/watch?v=-cfd7EFVrjo
youtube.com/channel/UC5fxPVjJyh_gjZOUxUQfK8Q
youtube.com/watch?v=AhcXNBVOz3s
instagram.com/p/BEwAcDLmR2j/?taken-by=jeison_lopez99
boxlifemagazine.com/common-snatch-mistakes-how-to-correct-them/
boxlifemagazine.com/the-power-position-the-most-important-aspect-of-olympic-weightlifting/
iwf.net/2015/12/24/public-disclosure-56/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hit my dink with the bar whilst power cleaning lads, it was extremely painful

In other news I'm now 40/52.5 for 3x5 another step closer to being a bigger guy than Commie

I really like Okulov's style. Tight and snappy. It makes everything look so light. 70 and 140 look almost the same.

same, he's my favourite lifter

>70 and 140 look almost the same.

he better fucking make it look the same, 140 is under 80% of his max in comp snatch

>tfw no muscley athletic smiley qt3.14 kinda wl gf

;((

this is pretty cute too

>That bitch rolling the plate

baka senpai

It's also 308lbs.

So?

Wew lads, took three weeks off and just now had first session back. I'm shite, completely shite, bar is all over the place, positions are wrong, weight is light

Kill me

Can you throw around 308lbs like you throw around 154?

Can you throw around 220lbs like you do 110? Can you even snatch 220lbs?

i'm not sure if you mean me,but i'm not chinese and until now i never cared about limb length. aren't long femurs just a meme?

thanks i agree. hips and lean were a lot worse before and i guess i can get the last bits of it out too.

will try wider and see how it goes. from a short deep squat test i think i can definitely keep my back tighter with wider stance.
thanks guys

i also wanted to try only frontsquatting for a while to get my strength up and see how that helps my back squat.

I think you should still do some back squats though

asian champs 2016 77kg
>youtube.com/watch?v=GTNP6dGoHGA
Notice that Shi Zhiyong(72kg) and Feng ludong(70kg) did compete but no Lin Qingfeng, I wonder what happend to him

I wonder why they let them compete at one weightclass above since the weight difference isnt that big

I really like the explosiveness of these lifts. How does one get into this? Do I need a coach to start owg or am I fine doing my own research?

get a coach senpai

where you guys at

Both work, but with coach you don't get frustrated so easily, and you save so much time. Even once a week with coach is great, so you can practice the things that he points out after the session. Then he can analyze your tech again the next time.

Apart from stretching, what else can I do during off days that will be beneficial?

rehab exercises

youtu.be/yMuuKlmdCmw

Why are you doing them 3x5?

That feel when Chinese u can come in 8kg under body weight and win anyway

they werent 8kg underweight though only 6kg and 7kg

and prehab exercises

same thing really depending on your situation

youtube.com/watch?v=rRi6VJMD83s&index=69

Don;t Bulgarian split squats pretty much mimic this same movement?

sounds like a torture chamber in the background

I need webms, webms of Toshiki Yamamoto, and maybe Yagi Kanae

youtube.com/watch?v=-cfd7EFVrjo

youtube.com/channel/UC5fxPVjJyh_gjZOUxUQfK8Q

youtube.com/watch?v=AhcXNBVOz3s

I snstched 87 with narrow miss at 90 yesterday

Think I can get 100 before new year? How about by september?

What's your FS/BS?

135/160 maxes

I think easily high enough, and working on technique and flexibility is making my lifts more consistent

New Youth WR today

instagram.com/p/BEwAcDLmR2j/?taken-by=jeison_lopez99

It wouldn't hurt to add 20kg to both of them tho.

Was randomly browsing some WL's Twitter and something was mentioned about GB only sending one dude to Rio.

How does this stuff actually get decided? Can they only afford one plane ticket or something?

Been doing OLY for 5 months now

I seem to have huge issues with actually getting under the bar. Basically my clean is a power clean, my snatches are power snatches.

I don't really think I lack the mobility, I can easily overhead squat ATG.

How the fuck do I make myself get down lower under the bar? Is there some exercise I can do? Is it all psychological?
It's really holding me back from hitting some half decent numbers.

based on international contest placings. each country is awarded a certain amount of lifters

i depends on how the nation places in pre olympic contests how many places they get

you have bitchniggaitis
it's terminal

Had the same issue.
Never found resolution.

Here I am power snatching 105kg for 5 reps yet I cant even full snatch the same weight.

True but I shouldn't need 155/180 to hit 100sn

Then again I am a bit older than most novices and very inflexible so maybe I'll need more raw strength

Lift heavier, if the bar doesn't come up as far you sure as shit get down fast.

I'm only 1.5 months in myself but the above is the case for me, if I know I can power the weight I drop so slow. If I know I'm not getting that bar anywhere above my midriff I drop faster.

boxlifemagazine.com/common-snatch-mistakes-how-to-correct-them/
boxlifemagazine.com/the-power-position-the-most-important-aspect-of-olympic-weightlifting/

These two blog posts helped me out a lot. Had the exact same problem for months and was able to correct it. Hope it helps you guys.

Some people always catch high

Just get to where you catch quick as you can

Also being flexible enough to ohs isn't always enough, getting to depth with that speed isn't the same as just having the mobility to sit in slowly

Snatch balance and high blocks/hip hang might help

Sounds like a sure way to short pull everything

Why is no one talking about how colombia is going to be the new big weightlifting powerhouse?

>I'm only 1.5 months in
your opinion>in the trash

Just because a guy you'd never heard of got posted on hookgrip doesn't mean they're the next superpower

I mean, lesman paredes and that figuero are the only 2 colombians I was familiar with, but one of their youth just broke the youth wr.

Thats how it starts

my tech is pretty bad but i'm not sure which parts are because of fatigue

Overall i'd say i fixed what i intended on my cleans, just need to stay off my heels on the catch. Jerk is a huge mess now

Powerclean is becoming easier again though, i'm going to go for a pr next time i do it i guess, so i can increase percentages

I did weird western european shit with my feet on powerclean this morning.

Everyone is looking at you like a weirdo, do this shit at home dude.

Just saying what appears to be working for me, trying to help a fellow noob. Feel free to chip in or never fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to my thread.

Probably, I'm nowhere near explosive enough to fully extend and drop fast, which should realistically be the priority?

lel twinks mirin'.

Also what the fuck are those guys doing with the balls in the back?

m-mirin
ball slams for the sicc siccs pacc

What u mean weird Eastern euro shit wid feet I can't watch weebm on mob

I've been taught to always finish the pull

I think most coaches would rather you catch where you catch it and pull longer than cut your pull just to catch lower

no i do weird western euro shit where i lift my feet up

Western euro pick feet up? Eastern euro do what then?

Why then do alot of Eastern euro and Russians pick feet up?

But some still slide their feet?

Wtf commie sort this mess out for me

Idk i just dont like it

Lads why is the 94kg Snatch record (188) only a kilo over the 85kg Snatch record (187)?

Is everyone in the 94kg a scrub (except Clarence)? Last time I checked there weren't even videos of the 94kg class in either Almaty 2014 or Houston 2015.

94 is a lazy class

because rybakov was a century ahead of the 85kg class snatch wise

94s has some very entertaining lifters wtf u r the scrubs

Interesting. So who's your ideal technique to watch?

I don't see you going for a chineyman

Maybe one of the bulahrians under abajiev who did that rapid little slidey thing

How do you guys think the Norks are gonna do?

You still curious about rpe? It's really just a good way to record difficulty of a set. Gets a little messy describing singles but generally useful to be able to record something like
>low bar 140x3x3@9
As opposed to "pretty hard"

Didn't some best korea man win the 77kg in Houston since Lu bombed the C&J? I don't know any other (good) lifters from there.

Seems like Chinks are turning choking the C&J into a habit now (unless its all a massive ruse)

No he came second, kaz lifter won

not so well with their best 62 and 77 banned

>77
which one

Speaking of bans, why does Lovchev's record still stand even though he was supposedly 'busted"? 105+ in Rio will be fucking shit without him with barely even 3 lifters out totaling Ilya fucking Ilyin.

>why does Lovchev's record still stand even though he was supposedly 'busted"?
it doesnt?

kim kwang song

none of the bans from houston have been officially given yet, and lovchev is fighting it hard, he went directly to the iwf to appeal the other day

>kim kwang song
really? when did he pop

when i started out i thought yarkin had the best technique, the one with no plantar flexion at all

Actually i'd have to agree with liu and say that ding jianjun is top technique

but there are a few lifters that i can think of who's technique i especially like

Yeah i know what rpe is but i'm curious about why it suddenly got so popular in plg

iwf.net/2015/12/24/public-disclosure-56/
he was one of the 24 caught at worlds last year

Cos plg is just a big circle jerk where they all do the latest cool gimmicky shit

Curious to hear who? Pls tell me commie-san
Interesting you said yarkin his tech is cray to watch

A lot of us talk rpe and have for a while. Maybe you just haven't noticed? Not sure m79

>using numbers to quantify difficulty is now gimmicky

redpill me on this rpe meme

Did you read my comment first? Because Thai encapsulates the idea. If you want to know more I'm not going to be able to punch that out on my phone

i think that it doesnt matter too much if you extend your ankles

dprk basically all have the same technique and i like theirs. Idk i like a lot of lifters tech.

the rpe scale is something thats not really new or revolutionary since people used auto regulation in the past
i can see it being used by powerlifters who train alone but its something thats not useful for those whose in a team and has a great coach

I have no idea what youre talking about

powerlifting as a whole is a huge gimmick desu
you cant even compete in ipf unless you buy the gears from certain brands

I don't compete in the ipf and don't train in a gym conducive to wl. It's just not in the cards.

Also I don't think that brand approval is evil if the money goes towards drug tests

Read it and reference Google until you do or lose interest

Most of us don't have a coach and again, it's important to be able to concisely and accurately document your training cycles, especially if you may only max once or twice a year

B-but you said you didn't like it when they pick their feet up dprk do that

Yeah it's just not something that's for me

Oh so u don't mind it's style but u don't do it?

Kindve like me. I like a stampy style but I naturally just slide my feet

That's life

Show us a video you lying fat fuck lmao

>I don't really think I lack the mobility, I can easily overhead squat ATG.

You have the flexibility, but not the mobility. Just because you can work yourself into the position doesn't mean you can get into it quickly and easily.

On the other hand, it could just be psychological. Train only the full variations, and treat lifts caught high as misses.

no one is even getting close to rib-a-cow 85 record that's how good he is at snatching

and he's not monstrous strong like some of the 85 cunts are (tian, rostami) he's just very explosive with good technik

who got a bigger erection

tian or this dude

Me in ur mum ofc

i do

Gfto you don't even wl