QTDDTOT

Old one is become die.
What's wrong with using exclusively machines in my workouts?
Pros: Convenient, form is never an issue, no spotter needed. My goal is just aesthetics and I won't be competing or anything. So long as diet is in order and progressive overload is in place is there anything wrong with having a mechanic routine?

Form is often an issue with machines. The inability to adjust the motion to fit your proportions/injuries/goals/etc can screw things up pretty badly.

Stabilizers.

Just work with free weights.

There's nothing more lame than a guy who looks big but can't lift for shit.

Is homemade fried rice bad for cutting? Ingredients are pretty much just rice (though I went a little light on the amount in it), chicken, a heap of random veges, s&p, egg and a tiny bit of worchestor & soy sauce.

Never, ever mix your whey with energy drink.

I just wanted to share with you this awful experience.

What does a girls armpit taste like?

What the fuck is this

That appears to be an ab crunch machine.

IFFYM but rice is a shitload of carbs for a cut.

So, I know about the yo-yo effect, basically a fatty loses a bunch of weight, goes back to their regular eating habits and gain it all back thanks to ignoring calories.

How long should I eat at maintenance for when I hit my goal weight before bulking?

How bad can squat ass get?

I can't squat for shit but it's still happening. Don't really want to look like grill desu.

It's bretty good girls pinch my butt a lot and laugh. Don't you want people pinching that cute little ass user?

Maybe if my ass gets swole enough, someone will love me.

if you develop your muscles using machines you'll probably find that you create innumerable problems with your joints, tendons, posture etc from developing your muscles in such a random, unnatural and specific movement pattern.

additionally they are plain less effective than heavy compounds for adding mass and aesthetics. all the good physiques you have seen were probably developed largely via free weights.

also, you only need a spotter for benching, and even then only if you plan on going to or close to failure.

What about the guides on the machines regarding proportions? Examle: Shoulder press machine instructs you to have the handles up to collar bone level. Still messes you up?

If you're planning to bulk up after dieting down, your concerns are pretty much irrelevant. The yo-yo effect is only a problem for somebody who wants to maintain a lower bodyweight after losing weight.
Although of course you should just add 1500 calories to your daily intake from one day to the other. Just slowly reverse the process once you're happy with your bodyfat percentage.

the chances of you fucking yourself up using a shoulder press are much higher than using free weights (which will build your shoulders better than the fucking shoulder press)

I asked this before, but i dont think i got an answer. I went from 5'8 135lbs to 170lbs in the span of 5 months. Is this weight gain too rapid? I feel like i still look skelly

How about I hit my goal weight, then shift to a bulk over a month? That way I get a little break from the half-year diet.

youre underage, get the fuck out faggot

Post pic. That is an awful lot of weight to gain that quickly.

that's 1.7 pounds a week. not terrible.

My goal: broad shoulders/v taper look and visible abs.

Routine to achieve this:
AxxxAxx

Shoulder press 3x6-8
Chin-ups 3xF
Seated rows (wide grip)
Weighted crunches and russian twists

Diet will be in order. Is this enough to achieve my goal? Will I look ok?

according to BMI he's overweight now. Almost 2 pounds a week is about the dirtiest you can bulk.

where can I buy ephidrin in germany?

There are several POTENTIAL problems with machines. Mainly that they're easy. There's truth to the saying "if it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you". The fact is that machine training does not disrupt homeostasis to nearly the same extend that heavy barbell lifts do. In other words, training on machines won't force nearly the same amount of adaptation i.e. GAINZ as training using heavy, free weights will.
On the other hand, for much the same reason, machine training isn't as hard to recover from either. This means that they can be useful for adding some extra volume to your training once you've kickstarted the adaptation process with some REAL training.

Potential issue #2 is that because the machines lock you into position and have very low stabilization requirements, the strength gains aren't very transferable to other activities. For example, you can be very strong on the chest press machine, but try to pick up a barbell and be completely humiliated. Whereas if you'd been training on the barbell bench press and never done the chest press machine before, you can pretty much sit down and still dominate it.

Potential issue #3 is that because once again you're locked into position, machine training CAN actually be quite dangerous on the long-term (although some machines are worse than others in this regard). How many individuals do you see who have the exact same anthropometry? Not many. For this reason, it can be a big problem when most machines aren't sufficiently adjustable to the individual - You'll be locked into a movement pattern that isn't ideal for you. The result can be that you'll begin to experience little nagging pains (just like if you'd been doing free weight exercises with poor form) that soon turn into actual injuries.

On a more personal note, in my opinion there's just no sense of achievement when training on machines. Because there's no skill component, and because it never gets truly hard (it really doesn't) it's just no fun

It doesn't work like that. It's a common misconception that we can just pick and choose what muscles to develop and what to ignore. it's a shitty idea. As a physiotherapist I can tell you that this kind of training inevitably leads to imbalances, and that imbalances are always an injury waiting to happen.

Besides, trust me when I say that you WILL look a hundred times better when everything is developed in proportion. It's cool that you value the v-taper look more than other muscles that don't contribute to this particular look, but I guarantee that I person who's got the v-taper along with everything else looks so much better than someone who's only got the v-taper and nothing anywhere else.
Train the body in a balanced fashion, always.

What's the way to do a plank?
I've seen it recommended both ways online.

Neither is necessarily more correct but there's a bigger chance to screw up if you're going for the bottom option.
It's important to ensure that your pelvis is posteriorly tilted during the exercise i.e. the front of your pelvis is pulled up towards your navel and the back of your pelvis is pulled down towards your butthole.
You can go even more extreme than the top version and do a so-called "hollow position plank". That's what gymnasts do.

As a little bonus info, you don't have to hold the plank for time, if you happen to find that boring, you can hold it for "breaths" instead: exhaling completely causes an intense contraction of your abs. See how many times you can empty your lungs 100% before you collapse on the floor.
Another option that's good for strengthening the abs is the "RKC plank".

from Veeky Forums
want to start lifting
SS to start, obviously, but the gym i would be going to mostly has machines, not sure if they have any squat racks

so my question, can i do SS with just machines and dumbbells?

if not, what's a beginner routine i could do with the equipment available

125 lbs trying to get around to 135-140

>Neither is necessarily more correct but there's a bigger chance to screw up if you're going for the bottom option.
Well that's good to hear, thanks user

Disregard half the bullshit in this thread. If your goal is to get a pump then machines are a tool that will help you do that. Use them to finish your routine once you've hit your preferred free weight exercises to failure or if you hit a range of motion with a machine that you like.

Close. College kid

I dont have a full size mirror right now. My thighs are big as fuck though, but they've always been that way.

>SS to start, obviously
Hahahaha

this user already put forward a couple good reasons. The main benefit of free weights is that compound movements (such as deadlifts, squats, etc) will release more testosterone in your body, equalling more gains.
The next advantage is that you are working out more muscles at once, helping you achieve an overall balanced, good-looking body.
Third advantage is that you are also working out a lot of small ancillary muscles which don't get targeted by machines (especially in the core). I know you're only in it for the look but think about your health.
Fourth, it's convenient. You can create your whole routine around basically four lifts: deadlift, squat, bench and military press. Those four target your whole body. If you feel lacking (e.g. in biceps), you can always add specific exercises for that muscle group. If you work with machines, you have to do a lot more different exercises to get the same effect.

Apart from that, I've made good experiences with machines, especially when one of my lifts was stalling. Doing a bit of curling really helped me get over a long military press stall.

P.S.: I forgot. If you only rely on free weights, you can very cheaply make your own homegym. Mine cost about $200 and I can listen to music as loud as I want and never need to wait for the squat rack to be free.

i have no clue what the fuck i'm doing, user

If it's simply calories in/calories out, what about the impact of insulin levels like on intermittent fasting?

You can find dumbbell alternatives to basically any barbell exercise. Do you own googling. There's a decent program called the "Dumbell stopgap" which isn't as good as SS but is decent enough to keep you going until you get a proper GYM.

>so my question, can i do SS with just machines and dumbbells?
Absolutely not. And as you might be able to gather from the rest of the thread, limiting yourself to machines is a mistake. Do you have no other options as far as gyms go?

>You can find dumbbell alternatives to basically any barbell exercise
This is SORT OF true. But only for upper body exercises. You simply cannot replace barbell exercises for the lower body. Your strength will increase too much for it to be practical. Of course, if you have zero ambitions and don't really expect to make any progress longterm, knock yourself out and go dumbbells-only.

(Not hating on DBs - they're useful, but they're not a replacement)

simply calories in/calories out is only a rule of thumb anyway. What do you think your body does with protein?
Protip: if you work out, it won't turn it into calories.

Advice on my Routine? I'm just looking to be more stable, be able to plant myself like a tree ya dig?

Monday: Deadlifts

Bird Dog 10xf
Deadlift 3x5 70lb

Tuesday: Squats

Calf Stretch
ATG Hold
Squats 5x5 70lb

Wednesday: Cardio

Jump Rope 30 mins
Heavy bags 1 hour
Push-ups 10xf

Thursday: Rest

Friday: Cardio

Jump Rope 30 mins
Heavy bags 1 hour
Push-ups 10xf

Saturday: Squats

Calf Stretch
ATG Hold
Squats 5x5 70lb

Sunday: Rest

This routine requires a strict diet. We don't want the legs ballooning, we just want them strong.

-Get plenty of water
-follow the fist size rule
-no meals after 6

>Do you have no other options as far as gyms go?
currently, no
my best option to begin weight training is to use the local community college's gym
however, in the fall, i'll be pursuing a second degree and that campus will have a proper gym

will proceed to look up

so what do you recommend?
i really can't confirm that they lack any barbells as i haven't gone in just yet, but from their website, all i see is cardio bunny machines, resistance machines, and dumbbells

>tfw convinced last gf to let me lick literally whatever part of her body
>armpit was one of them
>she was actually turned on by it
It smells like an armpit but something about the actual smell during sex is fucking crazy and drives you wild. It turns you instantly diamonds. The taste is almost non existent though and your mouth may pucker if they put on deodorant. It was pretty 11/10.

There is no world in which squatting 70lbs is a risk of your legs ballooning. Or getting strong, for that matter.

Are DB upper body exercises necessarily inferior to barbell?

Btw I workout at him if that isn't obvious yet. So when I do my lifts it usually doesn't end after the 5th set. I do it throughout the day and make sure I get comfortable with the weight before I decide to move up 10lb for the next week.

Gonna be travelling around china for a month very soon, won't have access to a gym while I'm over there but will be doing a ton of hiking/climbing

How much of my gains can I realistically expect to lose eating a high protein/high calorie diet with no lifting (except some callisthenics) and loads of cardio in a month

depends a lot on the girl. I've only tasted 3, and 2 of them were asian. Both the asian ones didn't taste like anything really, it was like licking her neck. The white girl was a bit more salty and I guess it was more of a smell than anything that I noticed. Kinda musty/heavy but in a good way.

I feel really queasy today, should I skip my workout in case I over exert myself and throw up?

>so what do you recommend?
I recommend finding a proper gym. Not just for the sake of the equipment and options, but also for the atmosphere. If you surround yourself with a bunch of weak, old farts, you'll get nowhere. Train alongside people you can press your deadlift weight overhead and you'll get somewhere. That's been my experience anyway.

Not necessarily, no. It depends on what you use them for. Let me quote Dr. Mike Israetel:

"Dumbbells are inherently unstable. This instability is detected by your nervous system and your top-end force production is capped. Like trying to jump high when standing on ice or trying to squat a lot from a bosu ball. The whole purpose of heavy weights is to generate high forces, and since dumbbells can't do that, why use them for it? Use them for volume. In addition, because of instability, heavy dumbbells can more easily misgroove and can get you hurt, never mind how annoying it is to get them into position. If you want heavy (which is great), they make barbells for that!"

Medieval dentist's chair :^)

What sport/cardio is best to supplement my lifting?
Basketball is a no-no thanks to shin splints, and I tried climbing but it's not for me.

Also, how is a PHUL/PHAT routine for strength training? I've grown kinda tired of TM, but I want to keep my strength gains up.

I have problems with injury so I'm taking my time with the progressive overload. I know I can go higher, I've reached 140 with both before. But I've learned my lesson about ego lifting.

Swiming>Cylcing>Running

damn, okay
thanks for the advice
i'll most likely end up following a bodyweight routine to do over the next 3-4 months to get back into shape

I cycle every day due to being a Dutchfag and a student, but I'll try swimming. Thanks m8

How do I build my quads right above my knees?

The only squats I do are to the ground like this It seems that it primarily is working my upper legs.
Would bench squats help?

I stopped doing half ROM squats because my gym has no safety bars and once while coming down I didnt have enough strength to stop and I couldnt get off the ground.

I'm looking for a video where they interview some guy/lifter/bodybuilder with a serious mental handicap induced by substance abuse.
I saw it before but can't find it anymore. The reporter basically talks to him while he puts in scoops of something and tells them he fucked himself up genuinely by taking all kinds of roids and what not.
He can't talk like a normal person anymore, probalby because some nerve damage but still he can't stop to do what he does and continues lifting and juicing.

Anybody got the link or even knows what I'm talking about? I know it has been posted here before.

Looks like you gained a lot of fat. You need to make sure that you are getting the right protein and not just taking a ton of calories. But other than the fat thats good muscle gains. Just do cardio and eat cleaner.

is an ABCABCx routine too much?

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends what you're doing and how good your recovery is.

machines have shitty ROM because all people are different

One of my arms is stronger than the other. Is increasing my bench with one arm db bench a few reps at a time, until both arms are capable of 3x8 at the weight I'm currently using, a slow but ok way to progress?

A unicycle

Just make sure the barbell is level all of the time

Can everyone get the full six pack abs? Also what are the king ab exercises?

Can swimming alone with good diet give me a decent looking body? As in not skinny fat, sorry to use this word but 'toned'?

Do some kind of squatting where you focus on maximum forward knee travel (the thing everybody always tells you to avoid) and completely upright torso. Narrow stance. Buttcheeks to ankles.
If your quads start burning so much you want to go home, then you know you're doing it right.
Be sure to warm up properly because it is stressful for your knees.

Nah, depending on your insertions you'll have 4-8 visible pieces. Six is most common though.

Yes, but don't assume that you'll look like a swimmer. That's a false attribution.

reposting from routine general
>So I've been put on anti psychotics and experianced weight gain - 2.5 stone in 2 months, I have access to an exercise bike and dumbells what should I be doing to lose weight? I can work out for 30 minutes every day.

Im pretty new and when im doing bench press i dont feel the muscles of my chest, its more my arms, i think im doing the movement correctly, its normal or im fucking it up?

Film yourself next time, and check it against youtube videos or ask Veeky Forums for a formcheck.
Also, try different grip widths, that really changed a lot for me.

thanks, i will try that

Thanks. I'll try some narrow stance front squats

Is there a way I can reduce my doms quickly? I don't need them to go complete, just toned down a bit. I went a bit crazy when doing biceps and now I can't move my arms painlessly

Pic unrelated

work out through it after one light workout it'll go away

once you warm up the muscle during a workout with light weights it'll go away and you won't even feel it during the workout

Yeah get that blood flowing and work it off. Faster than just resting.

how do I leave humanity behind?

you need too many machines to cover your body.

Machines that does compound movements, hacksquat, bench machine, etc all requires technique.
You still need to know the technique of the movement is similar. So if you dont want to learn any technique then you need to do isolations. And that requires to many machines

Other cons:
-Bad strength carryover to other movements.
-It doesn't give the same systemic stress as doing compound movements.
-Does not train coordination

I keep getting a cramp in my leg when I try to bench with a slight arc in my back, what am I doing wrong.

Your hip flexors are tight as fuck. Do mobility work for them (the psoas and rectus femoris mainly, possibly the sartorius also)

IF is good in that it makes you skip a meal every day (Breakfast). Don't buy into the "body burns more fat during starvation period". Just condition yourself to skip breakfast and that's 400-600 kcal you don't have to worry about.

None because you don't have any gains to lose.

anyone got any experience with 5/3/1 and how to program assistance work into it?

How quickly should I bulk as a skelly?

5"7 132lbs atm, in the past 4 months I only gained 5 lbs or so it's pretty emberassing

Same height as you but 180 lbs honestly I would sad try going for 2 lb weight gain/per week for the first 4-6 weeks and then tone it down to 1lb gains until you start looking fat.

The main thing is to bulk for at least 8-10 months dunno if it's just me but those 3 month bulk 1 month cut just don't seem to put on any mass on me.

Gl lad and be consistent at liftan so you wouldn't just become skinnyfat.

What happens to an expired protein? Is it just usual precaution or I should avoid using it? Would be a damn shame

You're just needing more practice with it do some volume work, I used to get cramps in legs and also some soreness in back when I first started benching with arch after 4-6 weeks no issues now and doing 112 kg 3x2

Usually expiry dates on food are somewhat conservative. If it's been in a cool environment throughout its life and you haven't fucked with it leaving it out or something you should be fine unless it's been months since.

Check the smell and taste. Worse that could happen is a bad stomach, in which case you should throw it out.

I question your need to do 5/3/1 if you have to ask here about it. Unless your progress is down to monthly levels you shouldn't have to get on it. If it's still warranted I suggest asking /plg/ instead.

You should be eating like a motherfucker on every meal. Make sure you are eating well above your daily caloric intake everyday. Also do SS.

How long does Veeky Forums recommend resting between sets? When I do 8 exercises with 3 sets for each, I finish in about 45 minutes. But most people say something like that takes them 75-90 minutes. Do I need to do more warmup sets, rest longer, or both? I usually rest 1-1.5 minutes between sets of the same lift, I go straight to the next lift when I finish the last set. I do one warmup set for OHP, bench, squat, and deadlift, I don't warm up at all for anything else.

so ive been not lifting for a month had some minor surgery, im itching so bad to go to the gym. i can go on saturday, im worried im gonna go to hard and fuck my shit up. any bros that had an experience like this got any tips.

Never did warm up, resting 30 seconds between sets of the same lift, 45 seconds for different exercise. And increasing the weights every week.

Does anyone know any UK supermarkets that sell the Veeky Forums type of oats? (pinhead/steelcut) I've not been looking very carefully for them, but whenever I've passed through shit like Aldi, all I can find is fucking porridge oats.

Take a good amount of weight off each lift before you do your sets. Do a rep, add some weight if it's too easy, repeat. Slowly build up to a good weight to make sure it isn't straining wherever your surgery was and you'll be fine. Don't try to finish a set or anything if it starts hurting, just go home and take a litte more time off. Better to miss a few workouts than to miss months of workouts.

today is upper day and i wont be able to workout tomorrow - lower day. should i do fullbody today or whole upper and lower day today, finish in 2 hrs + cardio? still got time.

Depends on what you're doing. If you're doing isolation for volume, maybe 1-2 mins rest. If you're going heavy in compounds, 3-5 mins isn't unheard of.

i think you misspelled shoulder snap machine

Rest as long as necessary but not more. You shouldn't be waiting long enough to be letting your muscles and joints go cold. Max effort sets can take up to 10 minutes to recover from. Light isolations shouldn't take more than a minute or two. Generally your waiting period should allow you to do the next set without being bothered by fatigue from the last one.

You absolutely need to warm up, just for whatever compounds you're doing on the day is fine- at least to get the movement right and the muscles warm. Progressively build up to your working set. You shouldn't be doing as many reps that you get fatigued.