YMCA

Considering joining the Y tomorrow. Do any of you go there/what do you think of it?

Anyone? :(

bretty gud. A lot of y's are different but the one I go to only has one squat rack but other than that it's nice. Would recommend

They're all very different.
The one I could walk to close to my house growing up was a crappy old gymnasium with an office and about a 22x18 multi purpose room with some weights and machines that were always half broken. It was dirt cheap, but you got what you paid for.
The Y in the city here is great though, huge, well appointed, indoor track, gym, squash courts, great pool, tons of weights and several racks (never counted but I'd say at least 7).
It's a bit costly, but where it's the Y they do have payment assistance plans as well.
If you have specific fitness needs then you need to check it out in advance. However, if you're just trying to get some exercise, then you can probably show up to the Y and get moving for a decent price, regardless of your income.

The one im looking at is slightly smaller than the nice one you described but still good I think. Pool, indoor track, rock climbing wall, pretty big room of free weights, bigger room of machines, and then a fuckton of cardio machines (that I won't be using).

Theres one 10 minutes further than that one that has tennis and squash. Should I use that one instead..?

I used to work at a YMCA in Los Angeles. I got to use the gym for free which was awesome. they didn't have a squat rack and many of them don't so you'll have to come up with something else to do. If they have a squat rack at the location you're thinking of joining I'd say go for it m8

Are squat racks actually that important?

DYEL?

No...hence joining a gym

>Are squat racks actually that important?

Do women love biceps? Fuck yeah, dude. They're the best for curls.

I work out at a YMCA. Like these anons say, it's a mixed bag. I lucked out - the one I go to has two squat racks, two power cages, multiple benches and both incline and decline benches.
Check yours out, OP. worst case scenario is that it's a DYEL rec center and you just have to keep looking.

I had a Y membership. the one I go to is pretty nice and has a variety of stuff to do there. It's pretty family oriented so there's day care and classes for kids and a pool and stuff. I get a work discount and i have a family other wise I'd go to a gym that's more lifting focused. The weight training equipment is limited and it's pricy. Also, the hot tubs are in the locker rooms so if I want to use it there are no chicks to ogle, just naked old guys. looooots of naked old guys in the locker room.

let me reiterate: it's like the old guys just go there to hang out naked. it's weird.

kek

The Y I go to over summers and during winter is pretty damn solid. Dedicated weight room, dedicated cardio room, pool, showers and sauna shit. Courts for basketball racket ball and other shit. My only complaint is no indoor track but that's nothing really. As someone said it's all dependent on the specific YMCA. They're all different

ooososososoos shit lits lit kid. all the real ass niggas lift at the j because its cheap adn shit but you know all the rich ass kids lifting at the JCC WHICH IS THE MOST NEGATIVE LIT PLACE EVER

the one in auckland is a cruising ground for old gays

washington state has best ymca

My only experience with the y was a short workout session with my pt group, but from what I saw it was nice inside, a lot of gym memberships are cheaper in the long run though

depends, do they have a power rack?

I hope you don't mind a lot of male nudity, and slightly too old to be there girls in the locker room with their fathers

I love my local Y, I'll get a few months of membership over the summer when I'm home from college.

Maybe it's just the time I go at, but literally everyone who goes there is 75+ years old. That means that free weights are wide open. I'm the biggest, strongest man there. Not like at my college gym where I'm just another piece of meat in the stew of fitness.

My local Y has tons of benches, barbells, and 2 squat racks it is great, all metal plates too.

I joined the YMCA and I was incredibly disappointed by the lack of anonymous gay sex in the locker room. The Village People lied to me, it was not fun to stay there. 1/10 stars.

My Y is pretty nice. Full size pool, solid weight room and wide selection of machines. There are a lot of older people at the Y and everyone smiles and says hi. It's a comfortable atmosphere tbqh

Yes I go to the Ymca in South Pasadena, California and I love it. What city are you in?

I signed up and a day later they announced theyd be closing in a month
All it had was a bench press and hordes of senior citizens
Walked up to the bench one day to find someone had turned it into their personal coat rack
Switched gyms and never looked back

its always empty but has a good besides it beings small, 2 benches 1 squat rack etc

I go there too. It's pretty aight except for one squat rack.

They have unusual hours. Like, on Sunday mine doesn't open till 11 and closes at 4. But it has a big pool, sauna and steam room, plus all sorts of classes if you're into that thing.

If your going to pay for a gym It had better have a squat rack.