What do you think of dumbell side bends for abs, Veeky Forums...

What do you think of dumbell side bends for abs, Veeky Forums? I vaguely remember Mike Chang saying they make you fridge mode, but he's just a shit, right? And, yes, I know that I need lower bodyfat for abs to show.

They're for obliques, not for abs.

George leeman also said something similar in a supertraining06 video and says their pretty good deadlift assistance work too

>mfw i see DYELs at the gym doing stupid isolation exercises like this shit

if you have wide hips do them

this

I'm guessing they work really well. I'm not personally shredded, but the most cut dude in my gym does them all the time. If they didn't I doubt he would waste his time with them.

Do suitcase deadlifts instead

>mfw i see dyel's workouts consist of 3 meme exercises

why that friendorino?

>external abdominal oblique
>not abs

fridgemode is better than hourglass mode

Do you want to look like this?

ya know if that guy's hair wasn't so "insurance broker" he'd probably be pretty good looking

How do you completely neglect your lats that hard? Literally no pullups or rows ever.

I find them useless. Therea no weight heavy enough that isnt a barbell

>Implying I don't do them to essentially do a full-body flex in front of everyone

Speak for yourself, my gym has 180lb dumb bells.

Still useless
Might as well do deadlifts at that point

What kind of shit-tier form do you use doing these things

Its not about form
There just isnt any real benefit that cant be derived from deads

Aside from the oblique strengthening, which deadlifts are kind of terrible at.

Nope

So how exactly is a movement that doesn't involve any motion the obliques are responsible for a good method of strengthening the obliques?

They are a subpar exercise. To work the obliques you want rotational movements, not lateral ones. Like windshield wipers

I always wondered what his back looks like.

Like this, his name is Josh Leader and he looks amazing from every other angle.

I've read that they're basically a bad idea for your average gym goer, since most people have no idea what "neutral spine" means, and they're a great way to slip a disc once you move up in weight.

That angle makes pretty much everyone look bad.

Ive heard the same even if youre experienced since you'll naturally go for heavier weight. My sides are sore af I like them but I dont think its natural. Deadlifts it is.

I do them pretty often and yes, it turned me into the fridge mode

Yeah I do them but I maxed out the dumbbells. Should I advance to cable side bends or what? Tried doing it with a barbell but that didn't work well

If you have to have a deadlift replacement for these, use suitcase deadlifts. Regular ones aren't really involving a lot of oblique use - you need unilateral loading for that generally.

i do pullups mon-thurf truckboii

>suitcase deadlifts
WHat in the fuck am I watching cant I just use the hex bar and call it a day?