Running thread go

Running thread go

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/creamagination/sets/workout
soundcloud.com/dcorley87/sets/running
youtube.com/watch?v=eBR11H2Hho8
youtu.be/-Gig7e5lwOE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Shit tier. Cycling is where it's at fampai.

I'm trying to be a runner, 5k to 10k specificly. My legs always ache now, but I'm getting there

Haven't run in a while because of stress fractures on both of my second metatarsals that reappear whenever I start seriously running again.

Other than starting off slow and working my way back up to the way I used to run, is there any way to prevent that shit?

>making yourself infertile

Kek

I did a half marathon about a year and a half ago, just signed up for a full... Did I make a mistake? I'm nearly 300lbs btw

keep squishing those perineal arteries user

Went for a run today and it was amazing. I listened to some good music and I felt like I was flying.

Can't wait to go for longer tomorrow morning.

How fast can a fairly unfit person go from running a 5K to running a half marathon?

I don't even care about time, I just want to be able to finish, so I need to build endurance. But I also don't want my lifts to suffer.

Calves ache like hell after running outside, trying to get that 20 min 5k is so hard.

pls no bully

>tfw you blow by another runner on the path
nothin personell, kid

post some running tunes

familia where's the best place to get technical fabrics?

>if I ran now nobody could catch me
every time

>tfw white and run a sub 17 5k
>tfw faster than anyone on Veeky Forums

Swimming trumps all

Then go make your own cycling thread.

Then go make your own swimming thread.

Why does everyone here has to be so autistic.

I can run 10K in 48 mins... I like running but I really want to focus on lifting and gains for now, so that kind of training should I do when running?
more intense? more endurance? trying to beat my 10K record?

Running lol purposely burning calories to look like a skeleton when you could be using them to build muscle.

Your heart is a muscle.

what's the best way to train it though? I doubt doing cardio at slow pace for hours is going to be effective

I'm sure if you work your heart it will look as good at the beach as my entire body.

why not have a strong heart and a good body? all you have to do is eat a tiny bit more calories to get both

I love to run but the inside of my left knee really hurts. I think it's the tendon. Any advice? Pls halp

>that pic
>have normie coworkers
>they run
>they drink beer and party a lot
not every runner is an autist

Seen a couple guys in these threads with a sub 16 5k familia.

Went outside yesterday to burn some shit - it was Walpurgis night. Drank 8 beers. Missed the last bus home so I decided to run. I just measured and it was 4k and according to some texts I sent I did it under 20 minutes. My devotion to running is starting to pay off.

I like running.

POST MUSIC
soundcloud.com/creamagination/sets/workout

soundcloud.com/dcorley87/sets/running

>ghostface killah
>the champion
>on repeat

youtube.com/watch?v=eBR11H2Hho8

Hit 16:15 last week. So close, family. So close.

whats your average speed?

>be 6'2 228lbs fatass
>start giving a shit about what I eat
>still not exercising
>down to 189lbs now
>want to start running
>out of breath and burning quads after 45 seconds

Wat do

Just ran 35 mins in my new insoles. No ITBS. Fought it for 10 months.

Gonna buy my insole-maker something nice, any ideas?

What kind of insoles?

Nice to see some junglism on Veeky Forums senpai.

is it gone because of your insoles or did you go to a physio to strengthen your glute med etc?

Walk more. Google for 5k training plan. Basically you need to alternate between walking and jogging for the first month or so until you're able to run the whole distance. Also buy decent shoes if you're out of shape so you don't fuck up your legs.

Stick with it. Walk and run in intervals if its that bad. If you're having joint problems try the glider machine at the gym. You have to start running as early as possible or you'll become a fat diabetes fuck later in life.

Anyone here run ultras?

Almost signed up for a 50k that was yesterday but i've had no training. How brutal would a trail 50k be for someone whos never run more than 10 miles at one time

Silicone. I use them with an Echelon 5 by Saucony that is designed for orthotic use.
From what I have gathered so far, my lateral malleolus has to work heavy to stop my left foot from turning leftwards in the moment I push away from the ground. The lateral malleolus predicatbly gets overworked after about 20 minutes of running and the torsion carries over to where the IT-Band connects just below the knee joint, hence compression over the tibia-condyle.

My glute med had nothing to do with it, neither did inflexibility in my TFL, hips or any of that shit I have read online.
tl;dr shit feet/10

Have a doctor's appointment tomorrow either way, my left foot is weak as hell and needs further adressing. Hoping to get physio.

How do you improve your times? I have barely improved since december. I try to run 10k, three times a week, but on average it's like 2.2 times a week, cause I either pull a muscle or go partying or some shit.
Obviously I could do it more regularly, and also lose some fat, but what else should I change, other than that? Like should I do sprints or do some squats or something?
I basically have the same problem as this guy , even the time is the same.

That feel when my 2 mile time finally dropped sub 12:00, got stationed in the mountains..time is going to go to shit...

>can't wait to run at sea level..

The inside of my knees used to hurt after running in the past, but then I started cycling, and later running, and it eventually went away. I basically ran the longest distance I could without it starting to hurt, first about 3 km, and then increased the distance. I have flat feet, so I got one of those special insoles for my normal shoes (not for my running shoes though).
Obviously, before you follow this advice, you should tell your problem to a doctor and ask for his advice.

google couch to 5k

You're kidding, right? I'm asking because there are actually people retarded enough to ask about this seriously.

Who /injured/ in here?
I sprained my knee and big toe on the same day a week back. I tried running two days ago and the aching pain was too much.

Tough luck. Big toes take a lot of time to completely heal on their own (ie if not fixated properly),

Yea the trainer told me to lay off it for the week, do some low impact stuff for another and hopefully I'll be good to go after

Marathon tomorrow lads. It'll be my first, but I'm aiming for 3:30:00.

Any recommendations?

Who runs 400s

sleep well and pace yourself

Sorry senpai but I run a 18 min 5k just by running maybe once every 3-4 weeks
But I also ran a 49second 400 in grade 12 just from lifting

Sort of an /out/ question, but do you guys think that running will prepare me for my Appalachian Trail South Bound hike? I have given up weights entirely because I don't want to haul an extra 20 lbs of muscle up and down those mountains, let alone feed them. Thanks

It'll be pretty good, just treat your knees right.

You can look decent as a runner besides which most runners run for the sake of running.

Its intrinsically satisfying.

Go to runner's world and rip off a workout schedule that fits your skill level.

Running at a slow pace for longer periods of time is more effective than people give it credit for (when I was at my peak I'd do a 20 mile long run for the two mile and believe me it had a massive impact on my time) but with that being said you definitely need variance and structure.

Run competitively 3miles

My PR is 17:48
Anyone /competitive running/ here?

i'm not fat, but when I run sometimes my thighs connect and it hurts after because of the friction.
any tips?

Sure? Obviously long hiking over 6 hours is different than running for an hour but it's not like it would be a detriment to you.

Better underwear

Make sure you aim for a negative split.

youtu.be/-Gig7e5lwOE

I run in the cold/at night, and I just blast Ben Frost. Moving to Wisconsin soon, should be lots of fun.

Is it bad to run in the cold? I'm a lifter first and foremost, so idk much.

You shouldn't brag about nipping under 17... 15:40 reporting in. There's always a bigger fish tbqh fampai. And I was back of the pack guy in college. Humility is not the opposite of confidence, but rather, its source.

>tfw thought I had ~16 min 1/5 mile
>tfw I mis-measured and I have a ~16 minute 2 mile

I'm gonna go run 5 later faggots

>mfw i do couch to 5k, and my 5k time is 40 minutes
h-how do i get it to be under 25 minutes?

should be 1.5 mile, not 1/5 mile.

Work harder nigga.

My left knee hurts if i run two days in a row...haven't done it since Friday. I am going to walk tonight.

My loop is 1.4 miles and it's all concrete. I wish there was a large grass field somewhere nearby.

I have only been doing it a week but it's crazy how fast you can build up endurance. Last Sunday I was only able to run about 10% of the way and had to walk. On Friday I was able to run half the distance and could have kept going my I didn't want to strain my knee, so I just walked the rest of the way. Someone posted a little graphic that has a bunch of technique stuff. Don't run too fast and keep your stride manageable...don't land on your heels.

>ran a 5k last summer
>did nothing all year, get slightly winded walking up five flights of stairs
>summer coming up again
oh gosh, here we go again

How the fuck to warm up? Like, do you guys run for warming up? I always feel like shit for the first 20 minutes.

>had a chill 10k run this morning
>get home and nap
>wake up, bored, find myself running on my treadmill in my basement.

How much running is too much? I have nothing better to do besides shitposting.

I wouldn't go more than 20 or 30 minutes if you are starting from nothing.

I don't really warm up but I stretch afterwards. People argue about stretching before vs after and it seems like more people recommend doing it afterwards.

I "warm up" basically by walking first picking up the pace and then beginning my run pace.

I don't warm up or stretch at all I just walk out the door and start running. Dont know if its bad for you but Ive been running for 4 years and I haven't had any significant injuries

>tfw first real mile took 16 minutes like two years ago
>tfw lost 50lbs, now run 26m 5k's regularly now
>ran 10k yesterday for the first time (57m33s)
the tops of my toes hurt like a motherfucker, any idea why?

>tfw soon it'll be warm enough to swim and can get superior cardio

Veeky Forums told me cardio was a meme

should I run? I have some spare time today. is it worth it?

where do you swim?

we have an above ground pool but it's filthy from sitting stale all winter, gonna clean it soon

If this is the first time youve "run" your probably going to hate it. But stick with it, it gets good when your wind is better.

>people trying to derail thread by going off topic bother you
>the lack of order really gets to you that much
>mfw this is autism

How tight/snug are running shoes supposed to be?

My pinky toes touch the sides of my shoes, but I could still splay them out (they'd press almost off of the base of the shoe, though

There is enough space infront of my big toe

Could be shoe fit or your socks. Shoes for running should be half to a full size bigger than casual shoes with a full thumbnail of space between the end of your toe and the front of the shoe when you stand. This will account for natural swelling of the foot during exercise, as well as the stretch forward of the foot on impact as the arch expends to absorb impact.

Your socks may also be causing friction if they're cotton. You should be able to get a cheap 3-pack of synthetic sock from any of the major sport brands for 10-15 bucks tops. Those will move moisture from your feet better and cut down on hot spots.

See

A good fit will be comfortably snug without being constrictive over the top of the foot (the instep). The heel should be capable of movement if you pull on it, but it shouldn't shift on its own when you run. See note above about sizing; lots of people think they have wide feet because they're wearing shoes that are too short, so their feet feel squeezed and they think they need more width. The foot isn't squeezed because it's wide; it's squeezed because it's in a part of the shoe that tapers as it gets to the front.

literally retarded mentality

>Be me
>315lbs
>Typically focus on a single form of cardio for a month and then switch
>Set a goal for that month. Goal was 5k in 30 minutes
>Just finished a month of running
>RIP knees

No more running. Literally the least enjoyable form of cardio I can think of.

Maybe come back to it when you've lost a hundred pounds.

Perhaps.

I have done running when I was lighter though (around 230lbs) and still cant find much enjoyment there. I just seem to drop weight quickest with running unfortunately.

>5ft8
>85kg/187lbs
>Signed up for a 10k marathon at the end of the month
>Eating clean hoping to lose weight
>Only signed up to the marathon last week so I haven't been training
>Decided to see how I am now to see my progress at the end of the month
>Ran 5k in around 35 minutes although I was completely exhausted after
Do you guys think I can train enough in 1 month to complete a 10k in under an hour?
I'm planning on running around 3 times a week until I can build up to 10k. I don't think I'll be running the whole 10k, most likely I'll run around 7k, walk the next 1k to get some energy back and then try and run the last 2

run everyday is what i did. i started out running a mile in 10 minutes and now i just now got running 4 miles @ 7:35 a mile.

>inb4shittier

i'm cutting weight and putting time on my run is hard, but two months ago i was running 9:15 a mile. it's all progress.

running is the best thing to ever happen to me to be honest. shit is like therapy. i actually look forward to running everyday.

Why will you only train 3 times a week? If youve got a month until the 10k, then thats 12 sessions. I dont see why you couldnt train 5-6 times a week?

Id say given your current position, 10k in under an hour is going to be a big jump in a month. Even if you were able to repeat back to back 35 minute 5k, youre still quite a long time over an hour.

I think you should probably spend the next month trying to make sure youre able to run a constant 10k, and not worrying about the time. Having a plan to walk 1k in a 10k run isnt likely to help you. Moving from 5k to 10k in a month is still a big achievement.

Just signed up to the 2017 London Marathon, fingers crossed I get in this year

Incorporate one hill run and one interval workout run per week once you've found a race to run. Do a 10-12 week training program and you should be good. Do not neglect to do a long run on weekends. Ideally a distance between 6-12 miles at a comfortable pace. The long runs will help with endurance, the hill runs with power, and the intervals with speed. Keep the hill and interval runs short between 3-5 mi. I got my 10k time down from 52 minutes to 47 minutes that way. It helped that I ran a half marathon a month before, so I had built up a solid base.

I was 5'7", 270lbs. Low carb dieted to drop the first 30-35 pounds and did walking for about a solid year and a half to drop 40 pounds. Didn't start running until I was a hair under 200 lbs. Down to 170 with running and manual labor job (quit office job). You can do it. Don't give up. It took time to get fat, it'll take time to get lean.