Thinking about getting a fitbit now I'm upping my cardio and reducing my lifting...

Thinking about getting a fitbit now I'm upping my cardio and reducing my lifting. Are these actually accurate or is it all just a load of crap? Some people I know swear by them but I've seen some articles suggesting the heart rate stuff is literally just guesswork and they're wildly inaccurate

They're sort of inaccurate, but they're consistent at least. It'll give you some baseline numbers that you can work on improving.

Recovering fat here. Got mine as a motivator, and I've lost 11kg in 4 months.

Why not just stick with Polar with a chest strap? That's accurate.

I don't see the point in using a fitbit over Polar.

its a decent motivator, if u have friends to compare with using the app.

Fitbit is absolute garbage. The early models had so much nickel and used glues that caused allergic reactions.

The new ones cause rash as well and hr readings from the wrist are pretty innaccurate anyways.

You should get a polar with a cheststrap or something else in that fashion. Also the less nickel it has the better.

Couldve lost 16kg if you ate a 500 deficit

>Thinking about reducing my lifting
Get out, now.

Much easier to just have something on your wrist than fuss about with a chest strap and look like an idiot doing so.

I realised there's no point trying to get big if you're natty. Going from 6 days to 4 days lifting and switching from hypertrophy to strength program and concentrating on my sports (soccer, hockey & bball) instead of lifting. I'm already above average size after lifting natty for 2 years so once I cut and concentrate on cardio I'll be Veeky Forums by normie standards anyway so

I have one and it's great. You dont have to go with the fitbit though

Mine seems pretty accurate for HR
But I think my it blows calories way out of proportion. Still gives a good idea of whether you've had a busy day or not

A chest strap is the the most accurate way to monitor heart activity but the fitbit app makes it feel like I'm playing a game. Much better if you have friends to compete with

The hardware is sure to get better overtime but for now i think its suffice

To those saying its wildly innacurate. Its not hard to track a pulse

Why the fuck do you faggots use wristbands anyway?

Fitbit one does exactly the same stuff from inside your pocket.

I think both polar and garmin have watches that can read heart rate through the wrist

Call me retarded but I never quite got how fitbit (or Garmin watches and other watch/wristband style fitness accessories) tracked your steps from your wrist.

Like....surely a pedometer or stepcounter should be at least on your hip or belt or something. Somewhere in the upper leg region. Or hell, even a band on your ankle instead.

But how can these things count how many steps you take in a day from your wrist? If I'm out walking but my arm is just still or hanging at my side, how is it counting the individual steps my feet are making? If I'm sitting down still at my desk at work but doing a lot of writing or typing it whatever, surely it's counting steps I'm NOT taking because my wrist is moving now?

Same goes for how it knows how many calories I'm burning. I just don't understand these things. I already feel like a dope for not getting it though so don't worry about calling me a mongol

software dev here, I've worked on step counters. It's fancy math and physics mostly

as for the calorie count, it's an estimation based on your age, weight, height that you entered into the device, and your activity

Why do you think you need one?

pro-tip: you don't.

>I realised there's no point trying to get big if you're natty. Going from 6 days to 4 days lifting and switching from hypertrophy to strength program
Now you might actually get big

I'm consistently eating ~1500 kcal/day (no less than 1200, no more than 1650 on lift days) with at least 75g of protein/day (~90 on lift days), and I've lost no more 2 kg in 6 months. I have gained a little lean mass, probably, but not *that* much.

Fuck you and your "Calories in, calories out" bullshit. I'm a living proof that genetics and shitty metabolism are a thing.

No, I never cheat. Never. Yes, I weight all my food. I do not ingest anything (with the expection of homemade, not-sweetened tea) if I haven't tracked it in MyFitnessPal. I weight the spoon of extravirgin olive oil I put in my salad too. Yes, I double check the "nutrition facts" of any single thing I ingest.

I also have a useless "Fitbit Flex" (xmas' gift) and it's wildly inaccurate. I anyway try to keep its useless goals up every day every week every month (more than 250 steps every hour from 9:00 to 18:00; at least 10000 steps every day; at least 45 of "increased physical activity" every day). I also hit the gym three days a week, go swimming once a week.
I experimented running for 1 hour two days in a row: I *temporarily* lose 2 kg (water-weight), after a couple of days I'm back at 95 kg.
Fuck you fat haters.

You're eating more than you're burning. You do not defy the laws of physics.
I had the same problem. You know what I did? Just fucking ate less. It works. Stop complaining and making excuses.

you just a bitch

>I had the same problem.
No you didn't, you're a basement dweller
>Just fucking ate less. It works. Stop complaining and making excuses.
Oh, fuck off. ~1500 (1200 on rest days) is the barely minimum already. Less than that I won't be able to hit any macro.

>You do not defy the laws of physics.
I never implied that you fucking piece of shit. Metabolism is a thing.

Get lost.

Take it slow losing weight if you're fatty.

11kg in 4 months almost sounds a bit too much.
You don't want all that loose skin.
Don't forget lifting weights. Stay healthy.

might wanna try to include kcal your drinking. and otherwise making sure you're calculating shit right.

1500 kcal would be a 700 deficit for your base metabolic rate (estimated using only the weight you've provided), not including any activity factor.

Thinking of getting one of these just to know the distance I do when I run.

Would any cheap fitbit-esque thing work or are the cheap ones inaccurate for this?

Get a MiBand.

Smartphones come with GPS and there's lot's of running apps to not only find your distance but also track your progress. Also, they play music.
Unless you want your heart rate, don't burden yourself with additional of gadgets.

So how accurate is the calorie count brah?

Not only are they inaccurate, but they really just exist to collect tracking data and personal data on the user, which gets used for marketing purposes. Any 'health' benefits to you are secondary. If you want to watch your heart rate during cardio, get a Polar HRM or similar that uses a chest strap, don't waste your time with these wrist-only pieces of crap.

Not at all accurate. Things like this use statistical average ranges, and they'll estimate on the high side to keep you motivated -- then you wonder why you're not actually losing weight.

Yeah but having a phone in my pocket when I run is a bitch, ideally I would just use my phone but it flops around everywhere

So how off is it?

I basically use my fitbit to calculate my calories and deficit... Is this why I'm not losing?

How many cals should I compensate? If I lead an average day I end up burning around 2600 cals, which is roughly equal to my calculated TDEE. When I have a heavy day, it's more like 3000-3100 according to my fitbit. What do you suppose is the real "truth"?

The reason the chest strap models exist is because the wrist measurements are almost worthless.

There were wrist pulse meters before fitbit and they were worthless, and all fitbit did was change the software.

>So how off is it?
There's literally no way of knowing. The real issue is the energy efficiency of the human body during exercise. The rough estimate is around 25% efficient, but that varies enough that you can't pinpoint exactly how many calories you're actually using. You can literally drive yourself insane trying to 'accurately' track calories burned, so don't even try. There are websites with lists of estimated calories burned for any number of actitivies, just use that and consider it to be good enough. Really how much you're eating every day has more bearing on how much weight you're going to lose anyway, and you can more accurately track that anyway.

Exactly. Reading your heart rate is a differential electrical measurement, and having two electrodes close together on your wrist is about the worst place you could put them.

You're not measuring correctly then.

>You're not measuring correctly then
But I am. I double check any nutritional fact on MyFitnessPal - and sometimes I triple-check with nutritiondata.self.com . I weight my bananas and apples as well. If the stuff isn't pre-packaged and I have to pick a "Generic Apple" nutritional fact, I err on side of caution and consider the higher caloric estimation.
I do no eat refined sugars nor processed foods. 90% of what I eat is steamed broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, legumes, mackarel, chicken, salads, tomatoes, seasonable fruits and vegetables, some whole-grain pasta. No bread. No free sugars.

>drinking
I do not drink sodas. I drink only water, 1 coffee (no sugar, no aspartame, only 1 coffee) and two home-made cups of tea (not sweetened as well).
>would be a 700 deficit
eh, I know. If I don't move (250+ steps every hour) I feel lethargic, I suspect it's the fucking metabolism still slowing down after 6 months.

>11kg in 4 months
I'm not that user, maybe it wasn't clear. I wish I were him..

fitbit is useless

use myfitnesspal

I never understood FitBits.
Do people really need to spend a shit load of money to buy a HR monitor?
You can literally do that shit manually and I know Galaxy phones have S Health that does that too.
You can also buy a 20 dollar pulse oximeter on amazon that's probably more accurate.
What the fuck else does it do?
Tbh senpai waste of money

I just got one for my birthday (Charge). ive been using the fitbit app to track food, almost as good as my fitness pal. I definitely dont rely on it for weight loss, but it looks cool, tells time, tells me how much Ive walked (fairly accurately), get to see my heartrate. Disregarding all fitness uses its kinda Veeky Forums

can you wear those while you are running?
Like not to randomly put on and check, but in the act?

you know how when you walk you sway your arms?
yeah.

They usually just clip onto your finger, and most have a lanyard type deal that comes with it. They recommend being still for a few seconds to let it read accurately.
But if you wanna spend the extra money on something that's just averaging your heart rate while you run (doubt with all the movement it's accurate), go for it I guess.

They don't that accurately, Garmins at least are on movement rather than "steps" per se.

My Garmin tells me to move after ~40 minutes of sitting or not moving. If I go do something like brush my teeth, or take a bad crap and need to wipe my ass a lot, the movement of my wrist will make it think I've taken 100+ steps.

>tfw got a fitbit Charge HR half price
>tracks my steps
>links to my Vitality health insurance
>vitality gives me free starbucks for steps

additionally;
>mfw my gf asks me why I'm typing with loads of 'greater than' signs

you lovable autist user