People think poverty causes obesity

>people think poverty causes obesity
>rather than people choosing mcdonalds over cooking homemade stir fry

I don't even get the poverty causes you to eat fucking more thing anyway.

Alright, you don't have much money, that doesn't excuse yourself to eat more than someone who has money. You still have to stuff your face to get fat regardless of where you eat

ever since I got fit food costs me a quarter as much as it did for each week

People that are less intelligent are more likely to make less money and more likely to be obese. Connect the dots

i literally just buy protein, rice and beans/ some good hot sauces and just drink water. i can eat for weeks on $30

Junk food, like packaged processed food is cheaper

i'm impoverished and i'll admit that i do spend more money when i eat right than when i don't. part of the problem is the cheaper foods are almost always unsatisfying. It's like going to a Chinese buffet where you know you'll be hungry an hour later. Also, laziness was always the biggest factor because I hated cleaning up after cooking.

I grew up in a home that didn't prepare homecooked meals because there wasn't "enough time" to cook them. Junk food was a staple. Luckily no one ever became obese, just overweight. Sucks that that's something to brag about nowadays. Anyway, I had to unlearn a ton of bad habits and ways of looking at meals, cooking, etc.

no it isnt you fuck

have you ever heard of beans, rice, lentils, or cheap cuts of meat?

of course you havent you fucking fat retard

The argument could be made that poor people have to work so many jobs just to make ends meet that they have no time/are too tired to buy groceries and cook

At least, that's what I've noticed about some of the poor people I've worked with

i think its inverted causation
poverty correlates with stupidity, and that causes obesity

>A huge bowl of red beans and rice with some cornbread isn't satisfying
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. People who are fat and poor are fat and poor because they lack the skills and knowledge necessary to live correctly. Stupid fucking lies like junk food is cheap and satisfying perpetuate the stupid fat cycle they live in. Let's just fucking chalk it up to the truth: cheap satisfying foods take effort to make and cook. Something most fat poor people aren't willing to expend.

Yeah, this. Stupidity causes both poverty and obesity. I 28, spend less than $20 on food per week and I'm in the best shape of my life.

Just buy eggs, grains, and cheese from the store, and go outside and pick mallows, nettles, miners lettuce, purslane, etc. Healthiest diet you can get, and it's pretty much free.

>im too busy to go to the gym
>im too busy to cook my food
>im too busy to not spend 4 hours of my finite free time sitting infront of a screen

bullshit

I'm not talking about you and I. I'm talking about fatass poor people

Fucking this. I started comparing my checks before and after, its literally less than half.

Only in America that poor people have a weight problem

Watched a documentary about a family on unemployment benefits, she had three kids
>asks kids what they want to eat
>kids: "saucaaaage!"
>aaah good, she's gonna cook for them
>tfw she takes frozen saucages and tosses them in the frying pan....here you go kids, here's your food
>tfw she has all day to cook a healthy meal for them but just fries shit and calls it a meal
come on, both my bf and I work 40 hours a week and we take the time to cook almost every day.

this isn't a sustainably healthy diet. Buying things like fruit and vegetables is expensive (at least when I lived in the US). It is much cheaper to buy junk food and processed foods rather than buying the ingredients yourself and making a healthy meal.

Honestly, I was really surprised how cheap produce is in Germany when I moved here. A can of pringles or a bag of chips is fucking expensive here too.

Are you guys skeletons or what?

Before lifting 3 years ago I spend arround 5-7€ for food a day, now after lifting for 3 years I spend about 12-15€ a day.

Before: bowl of shit tier cornflakes as breakfast, some sandwich at work, maybe some bar like Mars as a snack, some processed garbage as diner at the evening like pizza or lasagne.

Now: breakfast is oats, berries with milk and whey, at work I eat rice, tuna, kidney beans and mozzarella with oilive oil and Avocado, diner is chicken with rice and veggies, snacks are peanut butter and cashews

I sure look 1000 times better now but still, lifting made it more expensive

this meme annoys me so fucking much

"the cheapest food is the unhealthiest" is absolute fucking bullshit

the truth is that "the cheapest TASTY AND EASY TO FIND food is the unhealthiest"

no poor person wants to spend their money on oats and kidney beans because they dont taste as good as double cheeseburgers and they take time to prepare

>before fit
>eat $5-7 worth of food a day
>after fit
>eat $1 worth of food a day for the most part

bit more now that I am bulking but nowhere close to what I used to eat

canned veg, chicken, rice
cheap and healthier than mcdonalds

For me it is cheaper than before because I fill in the diet with extremely cheap food as follows
>dry lentils (1 lb = $1. makes like 10 servings)
>potatoes (10 lbs = $4)
>onions (5 onions = $3)
>dry pinto beans (very cheap)
>bag of like 20 frozen boneless chicken thighs, $7

The only meat I even eat is chicken that is part of what keeps my food bill low. Any other meat just costs too much. Even the cheapest pork is $3 a pound. And for some reason that pork tastes like shit and makes me sick so no thanks.

>
Not understanding that impoverished families work more hours than nonimpoverished families. Not understanding that having a lower income typically means there is more work to get done, because amenities like garbage men, lawn mowing services, window washers, maid services, and all sorts of other services rich families pay for have to get done personally. Not understanding that being impoverished typically means higher costs of rent as a percentage of total income, meaning that money for things like personal vehicles is diminished, causing more time to be spent on public transportation. Generally, having less money means impoverished families have much less free time to cook your neet meals. Compile this with lack of education, lower quality food available in low income neighorhoods(sometimes to the extent of having no fresh produce available at all), and the fact that culturally there is less approval for being healthy, and you have a one way ticket to an overweight impoverished populace.

Pastaroni costs a dollar, is non-perishable, and is a meal.
The food that's the most convenient, doesn't take much time to make, costs the least, lasts longer, etc. is the unhealthiest. I know how to cook well as I've been doing it all my life, but be realistic. Cooking isn't cheap. Stop pretending it is.
Oats may be the only thing that's healthy, cheap, quick, long-lasting and just all around great.

>pastaroni
now compare that dollar to rice and beans

Now compare the time and effort it takes between those two. And the fact that a can of beans costs 2 dollars where I live. Rice costs even more for a pound.
Living in a city, there is no comparison between shit junk food and trying to eat healthy and natural. The differential is unimaginable.

where I live I can buy a pound of rice for under 1USD. I'm also in a city
pound of chicken thigh is also $1
dry beans are also fairly cheap

Eating healthy does cost more. Of course you can quote things like vegetables and chicken as cheap but most of us like some variety in our diet and that's where it starts to cost. Decent olive oil costs more, sugar substitutes cost more, good quality steak costs more.

I mean yes you can live on oatmeal, chicken and rice but at that point you just have to ask yourself why cheaper, easier, tastier and more convenient to go get 6 mcdoubles.

also when people are talking about eating shitty they are usually talking about fast food, soda, chips, etc... even pastaroni is better than that.
especially since most of that stuff doesn't fill you up so you eat a lot more of it.

there is also the fact you can just eat less to save both money and not get fat

Weird. Then again, a gallon of milk costs 5 bucks over here, so, it doesn't ill-behoove you to think that anything that isn't fucking pumped full of Bovine Growth Hormone won't be cheap.

Eating healthy as a broke student in this fucking expensive ass city is a real challenge. I just focus on getting a variety of shitty junk food in me and doing a lot of cardio to guarantee I don't eat too many calories.
300 calorie breakfast
600 calorie lunch
400 calorie dinner

Cooking at home requires a higher starting cost to do it right. You need pans, knives, etc, and the better the equiptment is the more pleasant cooking is for you.

Then there's herbs, spices, salt, pepper; you only use a little bit but you have to buy an entire jar of the stuff.

So then you need the ingredients. You can buy around 5kg (about 11lb): around 22 decently sized breasts of chicken breasts for the cost of about the same amount of cheap chicken burgers fast food. Here the convenience outweighs the start up cost and the effort.

An anecdote of this issue is when I cooked for my girlfriend when we were fresh into seeing each other. I had to buy everything for her, I needed a decent baking tray, needed the seasonings.. you know basic things you generally have waiting for you.. the cost of all this came to at least 5 or 6 times more than the ingredients you would buy anyway.

People teetering the poverty line cannot afford a large outlaying cost like this, and can only really afford 'little and often' costs... this is due to their work lifestyle and the fact that they probably just aren't good with money.. I know coz I suck myself.

Anyone who thinks cooking is cheaper is technically correct.. but the vast majority of you losers probably still live with your parents or have had a lot of the outlay costs bought for you.

well to be fair I'm in Reno for college
Rice is cheap as fuck, chicken is fairly cheap, milk is less than 3 bucks
I also get a 10% discount on everything for being a student

I did a shitload of reading about various studies of what measurable statistics do and do not correlate with and plausibly explain obesity, but this was back in undergrad Economics (I did a paper running statistical analyses on obesity numbers) so I no longer have any actual sources to cite but I'm sure you can find them and/or suck my dick if you don't want to look shit up.

Long story short though, obesity does seem to correlate with economic status, but *only* to the extent that economic status is correlated with education, which itself can be connected directly to obesity with way more statistical significance than other numbers like household income. Other studies have measured and compared the link between obesity and price sensitivity to the link between obesity and knowledge of healthy food choices, and concluded that the latter was way more significant.

In short, the evidence suggests that it's the knowledge in people's heads, not the money in their bank accounts, that really determines whether or not they'll be obese. Which is good news, since ignorance about food sounds easier to correct than poverty.

This is why I think it's really cool when people like Chef Ainsley (pic related) run programs like episodes of his cooking show totally centered around making recipes that are both healthy and cheap.

can you like shut the fuck up

No.

Stir fry cost 7$. 5 mcdoubles cost 5$

Eating the same shit every day is not healthy.

I spend $250 a week in Whole Foods and the local vegetable market on organic food. When you grow up you'll see what being healthy really means.

You need to shut the fuck up NOW!

In poor neighborhoods near me, there aren't many supermarkets; folks that can't afford a car and don't live near the one shitty bus line in town can either make a two-hour walk to a place where they can buy vegetables, or waddle one block to the Burger King.

It's a calculated move by fast food companies. They've blocked or chased away multiple grocery companies over the last 20 years so they can keep siphoning what little money the neighborhood has.

I know Veeky Forums thrives on the belief that weird-looking bodies are the universe's payback for not being a Navy SEAL or whatever, but consider for a moment that some companies make their money by trapping people and turning them into cattle. Not as simple as just choosing to eat healthy.

poor people are generally also dumb people.

>I spend $250 a week in Whole Foods and the local vegetable market on organic food.
>When you grow up you'll see what being healthy really means.
You are a fucking retard

I spend 20$ a week eating at taco bell. How come I'm gonna live longer and look better than you in the long run?

Genetics

Local and organic food is a meme.

there basically is no difference between organic and mass produced.
If you have to pick the thing that is most important to the quality of fruit and vegetables it is reducing the time since harvesting before eating it.

>DESTRUCTION OF WORKING CLASS CULTURE
E
>S
T
>R
U
>C
T
>I
O
>N

>O
F

W
>O
R
>K
I
>N
G

C
>L
A
>S
S

C
>U
L
>T
U
>R
E

Copypasta?

Either way, this reeks of bullshit.

If impoverished families work so fucking much and do everything themselves, then why are they so overweight if they move around so often?

families on welfare are impoverished but work an average of 16 hours a week
they have all the time in the world to do what they need but they are lazy

Lazy has nothing to do with having 3 jobs that all demand yuu give 150% of your time and enegry to them for close to no pay and just ignore your other jobs or you're fired!

>average of 16 hours a week
>they all have 3 jobs

>Lazy has nothing to do with having 3 jobs that all demand yuu give 150% of your time and enegry to them

Must be some real comfy jobs if you can gain a shit ton of weight.

Real talk, eating well costs less per meal, but if you only have a few bucks to spend on food at any point in time, you may find yourself forced to make shitty food choices. Also, if you live in a food desert, the opportunity cost of regularly accessing proper food may seem too high.

This is a load of shit. You don't buy everything up front, you accumulate it over a period of months.

Niggers and spics have higher Rates of obesity than whites
/pol/ was right again

city cucks btfo'd once again

I spent thirty fucking dollars the other day on a recepie for almond crusted chicken

i can only speak for the US but here ya go:

1) look up food deserts. people literally can't buy fresh produce in some places and their only food source is convenience stores and fast food. otherwise they have to take a bus 3-4 hours a day just to buy groceries

2) poor people typically have to work more to make ends meet. this means that to them, swinging by a drive through and getting a hot meal in 5 minutes is way more convenient than buying, cooking, and cleaning up for a meal.

3) fast food is marketed to seem cheaper than buying food. so poor people fall for this and buy 4 mcdoubles for lunch.

4) soda. its sweet, cheap, and gives you a sugar high.

there's tons of other stuff but the data doesn't lie. seriously look up food deserts. should be way more known. hospitals in Camden, NJ are literally the only source of fresh produce for some people. they have a farmstand IN the hospital. its sad man.

One doesn't cause the other. Being a dumb-ass causes both.

It's psychological. Calories are so fucking cheap in America it doesn't matter how much you make, 7000 calories a day is within the reach of anyone. Truly the land of opportunity.

Where the literal fuck do you live and why do you live there?

>captcha: choose all the bananas

>mongreels too dumb to understand complex sociological processes and thinking in a direct causation

well what did i expect

Yes it is you fag. You can buy a gallon of juice at food 4 less poverty mart for like 99c, it literally 4000 calories of sugar water. Retarded nigger parents give this shit to their stupid fucking children all day because it shuts them up. Not to mention candy etc etc that is much much cheaper than buying beans and rice you fucking tard.

Source: I grew up in a ghetto

Ground turkey is less than $3/lb

>much much cheaper than buying beans and rice

the problem isn't price then, its portion control. you can get a pound of dried beans for a dollar or less and thats a fuck ton of servings. same with rice

A large part of it is many Americans are overworked horribly with little pay. By the time they get home from these long hours on their feet, they're too tired to cook and grab terrible food that's already made for them, which has high amounts of calories without much nutrition.

They also are thinking about food being wasted and that equals money lost. Crap like boxed macaroni isn't going to go bad, but your fruits and vegetables are going to spoil.

you have shit markets then.

chicken (thighs and drumsticks) 0.99/lb
pork center cut 1.99/lb
spiral ham 0.88/lb
ground turkey 1.99/lb

It's the other way around, obesity means you spend more money on food which means you're more likely to end up in poverty.

These fatties usually don't think in weight but in packages, if 500gr of packaged lettuce is more expensive then a bag of 100gr chips, they'll easily claim that healthy food is more expensive despite the fact that the bag of chips probably wouldn't last a day while the lettuce could last one for three

The problem isn't poverty, the problem is a lack of basic understanding of nutrition.

I didn't learn about basic nutrition (carbs/fat/proteins and their main differences) until I was 21, deciding I want to start working out and remembering that there was a guy who said nutrition is key so I started reading up on it.

Nothing taught in education from primary to middle to college

Low intelligence causes obesity
Low intelligence causes poverty

this is also true although once you are born into the low class it is incredibly hard to escape it. the land of opportunity is now the land of reaping the harvest. if your ancestors did fuck all, you will probably do fuck all as well. this also means youll likely end up obese. born poor, die poor. thats the way it is now.

It's more like poorer people are less educated and just generally more unintelligent so it naturally leads to poor food choices.

>part of the problem is the cheaper foods are almost always unsatisfying

This is only because they have a stigma of being "poor food".
Convenience food still has an allure and an air of prestige to the lower classes, like it did to the middle class in the 50s (though the trend towards home cooking will start to slowing filter down the ranks soon).

Have you ever actually worked a low class job? Those tend to be easy as fuaaaark. No thought required, not at all taxing mentally. You have more than enough time to plan out your meals and such. Plus, your workout is covered if those jobs are really so taxing physically. And grocery shopping takes 2.5 hours MAX if you're in the worst situation and have to take a bus. Everyone has that much time.

Plus, there are very, very few people working 60+hours a week, and poor, and don't have someone at home who's working less and can cover this stuff. It's a false flag to get mo money fo dem programs.

Not to mention the fact that many of the chronically poor are bouncing through long periods of unemployment. How the fuck do they not have time to cook then?

>this is also true although once you are born into the low class it is incredibly hard to escape it.

It's hard to escape because of associative mating.

Many of the smart, but poor people got ahead in the mid-Century, and they married other smart people who kept getting ahead. Whereas the dumbasses stayed poor, so now the poor kids come from 2 dumb parents and are born dumb as a result. It's getting even harder to escape the lower class because there's simply less poor kids who are born with the smarts needed to rise.

>Won't even plan ahead long enough to make a couple hours with a hand-cart once every week or two worth the trip

This is bullshit and you know it. This wild "trapping people and turning them into cattle" talk is overdramatic and has no relation to reality whatsoever.

>I don't even get the poverty causes you to eat fucking more thing anyway.
it doesn't, but it increases cortisol, which makes you fat even without more calories.

Hormones are funny like that.

It has every relation to reality. I see it every day on the sidewalk outside my house. The word cattle might be a little hyperbolic, but the word trap is not.

All you faggots taking about food deserts should open up a produce stand for these poor bastards and see how much interest there is. Not saying deserts don't exist, saying it might not be an illuminati fast food conspiracy.

I know bro, I spent over 100 dollars on the ribs I was making last week. God, I could have just gotten cheap food at McDonalds. Why is being healthy so difficult hur dur hur dur hur

Post body.

Laziness causes poverty.
Laziness also happens to cause obesity.
It's all about there being a correlation, so people assume causation.

>saucages

Poor people don't have time to cook when they work 60-78 hours a week

Meal prep on sunday for the whole week.

>implying you are poor while working 60-78 hours a week

This is the most brief and correct explanation I've heard

>he's never worked min wage

When you're living in poverty it's impossible to gain weight

I have 7 dollars left a week for food every week and I barely survive and losing weight fast because I'm poor

Minimum wage is 11.25$ and if you're working 60 hours a week that's alot of money

minimum wage is 8,5€ where I live. working 60 hours would give you more than 2000€ per month.

>poverty causes obesity

u wot m8? That literally makes no sense how cam someone who has no money eat enough to gain weight

This.
The rest of you faggots are arguing non important shit.

This

600 a week is far from being broke

Do they work more than my doctor friend who worked 80 hrs on a slow week, and had to study for exams but still found time to cook and work out to otter mode?

Iktf bro I've had to resort to stealing condiments from restaurants just to get calories

>poor people don't work 60 hours a week

That's because nobody wants to work that hard and stay poor, either they find a way to become rich or work less hours and stay below the poverty line.

You can't work 60 hours a week and be anywhere close to poor no matter what job you have

>Inb4 some illegal citizen who cuts grass for 1 dollar an hour

People are stupid and think eating junk is cheaper than eating healthy

Eating healthy is expensive as fuck,I live in ontario and in order to eat healthy you're gonna be spending 15 dollars a meal

Minimum wage is $7.32, familia

New Zimbabwe is an outlier.

No its not its over 11 dollars, I'd know because I work a minimum wage job