Does lifting weights make you stronger?

Like do you feel stronger in everyday life, does it help you lift other things than weights?

Does this strength do anything for you to make life easier or is it just mostly for the muscles/swag

no, not unless you're training for functional strength

>swag

Are people giving out cool swag in the gym?

Did I miss the swag trolly?

The feeling is not exactly me being stronger, but everything I have to carry seeming lighter. If that makes any sense.

Mostly it made my knees and back stop hurting.

>functional swag

no, bulk is all water weight, real strength comes from muscle tone, 13 reps per set being the ideal tone zone.

No. If anything I felt stronger before, but I also now avoid doing anything that might hurt me at work while before I had wreckless abandon.

Though I am way the fuck stronger than I was before so it could help if I tried... ?

Hasn't helped me noticeably. And I've done heavy woodworking and do mechanic work at a bowling alley. So moving heavy shit is a regular part of my life. You typically have to move things in tight spaces, maneuver, twist, and align them. The limiting factor is grip strength and forearms. Yeah sure sometimes you pick something heavy up off the ground, but it isn't the norm.

I was a musclesless fat fuck before, not as much anymore. Basically everything is lighter and easier to move. Feels damn good when you can see the effect the gym is having in all the little daily things.

>I was a musclesless fat fuck before, not as much anymore.

Yeah nice try kid, I guarantee that I'm twice as strong as you are with your gym muscles. I deadlift 500 pounds one leg when I get out of bed in the morning. My hot pocket weighs 85 pounds, you try doing your lat raises at that weight. Functional strength my unwiped anus.

Can we get the fitpolice to get this moron outta here

Sir do you know how retarded you were going back there?

Training hamstrings made basically everything easier. Walking, running, lifting things off the ground. I never felt like any of that was hard before but now it's so effortless.

Opening sticky doors and adjusting furniture now feels like child play

yea bro i can bring in all the groceries at once now

work in a pet supply store and used to get knots in my back and shoulders on my off days. Started lifting like three months ago and don't get them as much anymore. I can also move more large dog food and cat litter bags simultaneously

I work in construction and just b/c my lifts in the gym tripled over the years doesnt mean things at work feel lighter. Stuff that felt heavy still actually feels heavy and take some thoughtful maneuvering.

When i started lifting i imagined like opening my door and ripping the doorknob off...thats just absolutely not going to happen.

You do get stronger and you can pick stuff up that you wouldnt before, but its not a huge difference i guess in how you *feel* physically.

Had bad back problems from improper lifts in highschool. Started again and the back pain is a lot better than it was. I had a job pouring concrete at the time and that was horrible on my back and wrists but given one more years time and I will be going back to that and making hopefully ~$20 an hour rather than $10 right now.

Everyone knows that smaller muscles are weaker

Kinda.

Honestly though, forearm and grip strength will do more for your everyday strength needs than any amount of squatting and deadlifting.

Train your grip daily if you want to be useful.

Most gym strength is only good for showing off (lifting people and doing lots of pull-ups etc)

100% yes

>bragging on Veeky Forums
Pretty pathetic desu famalamalam

This is something that I really hate, actually.

Whether in real life or in the gym, 60kg always feels like 60kg. 100kg always feels like 100kg and so on. I can pull 200kg comfortably, I bench 110kg, all that shit, but it still takes it out of me to move lower weight and I still have to put a real effort in. It's fucking awful. I always expected "strength" to make shit easier but it really doesn't, it just makes it possible.

That's weird. I never got that. Heavy weight makes the lighter stuff feel like a god damn feather in my hands (granted, I've done some ridiculously stupid partials, but it was the case beforehand).

We're at similar strength levels, so I dunno what might be causing it.

Lawl i'm so with this.

Truth.

Maybe it's just me. I still feel just as worked by a 1plate set on the bench now that I bench more than 2pl8 as I did when 1pl8 was just below my max. It's annoying. It's worst with OHP as I can OHP 80kg for a max but a set at 60kg feels like garbage even though I max out for 5RMs with 70kg. Fucking hell.

>be 160lb
>can dl 355lb
>grandma needs me to help move furniture into her new house
>used to get back pains just bending down
>fuck year this should be easy
>no pain but still feels heavy as fuck
>grandpa doesn't even get tired can easily lift and carry anything

the real question is when do i unlock old man strength

Just don't complain.

i work for a moving company and deadlift strength doesn't really amount to much as far as picking up other shit. It's all about how you hold it and grip strength. I work with a girl that can barely dl 225 but can move a queen sized mattress onto the truck by herself and move couches with ease.

lifting things other than weights easily usually entails a spacial knowledge of the weight of the object and where is best to lift it from, how to balance the weight, and how you should move to give yourself the easiest time.

lifting regular things for a lifetime teaches you the secrets, also lifting weights teaches you good form for muscle activation, not necessarily ease of lifting

True dat,besides most of these manual labor jobs are more about endurance than pure strength.

(I work for a moving company myself lol)

Well, at least you've both found something you're good at, and love to do for money. So much so that you do it for free in your spare time, too.

Most things feel lighter, but I've noticed that increased bodyweight helps me more than the strength itself. Like if I have to tighten a bolt with a long breaker bar I don't use my muscles as much as simply putting my weight into it.

This. I train with kettlebells and body weight, no idea what my maximum lift is. But I can carry 80 pound bags of concrete all day long, move timber like nobody's business, and hump a fifty pound ruck as far as I want to go. Feels damn good, man.

Literally everything involving my muscles is easier in life
Going up stairs? Lemme go two at a time because I can
Carrying stuff? Here, I'll take it all

I work as a live sound engineer on weekends and have to push heavy shit up and down a truck ramp all day. You better believe lifting helped with that

I work construction over the summers and I used to be a spooky skelly
Now I can carry entire stacks of boards, swing a 28 oz hammer, and can hump shingles up to a roof all day long
It doesn't sound that impressive, but when you're weak that stuff takes a lot more effort, leaving you tired and ready to go home by 12:30

There are lifts that strengthen grip and forearms

reddit stop your faggotry

I find it does, just moving things around I can feel the difference and use less effort

There are lifts that train these

You're all shallow and judgemental, triggers me just to be around you kind of people. Going back to my safe lifty uppy place, where nobody can approach me, let alone look at me, without the trainer sounding off an alarm.

It's probably your cardiovascular system

If your muscles feel "worked," that means they've been working anaerobic and thus have a build up of lactic acid.

Cardio causes more blood vessels to grow in the muscles, allowing for better oxygenation of said muscles and less pain.

It helps with moving anything heavy, but things that are very unevenly distributed in weight or have no easy way to find a firm grip are still difficult because you can't apply the strength appropriately.

It more so raises people's expectations of what you can do than what you can actually do with it in most situations.

>gf hands me a jar to open
>it's wet
>explain lubricated friction
>tells me just open it

you should be able to squeeze hard enough if its just water or just dry it off

Oh, believe me, I train my GRIP daily. Multiple times.

I gave ur mum my lubricated friction.

The coefficient of friction for iron metal dry is 0.74, wet it's 0.16. You have to apply 4.625 times as much force to achieve the same effect. If the jar is stuck well enough, you will tear the flesh in your hand before the metal rotates.

You will have a harder time walking through doorways, other then that there will not be any change.
Do not listen to all the other normfags this is scientifically proven.

>Does lifting weights make you stronger?
>serious thread ensues