10000 Swings Challenge

I plan to attempt the 10 000 swings challenge - do 10 000 swings with 24 kg kettlebell for 4 weeks. That is 5 workouts a week for 500 reps each.

The reps are done like that:
10,15,25,50 long rest, repeat 5 times
in between the sets you do 1-3 reps of a strength exercise - OHP, Side Press, Squat, Pull up.. whatever.

Has anyone done it?
Any tips on how to succeed?

Other urls found in this thread:

instructables.com/id/T-Handle-Kettlebell/
amazon.com/105-Adjustable-Cast-Iron-Dumbbells/dp/B009GC76NW/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1462573161&sr=1-2&keywords=adjustable dumbbell
youtube.com/watch?v=ev15rcvHUMc
youtube.com/watch?v=QTGMPHGfE1I
youtube.com/watch?v=zIkBvfhx64Y
youtube.com/watch?v=DZyZVhZs5ds
youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I imagine your form would suffer pretty quickly, and it's snab cidi xDDD from there

Crossfit is fucking retarded and so are you

>hit your balls 10000 times

sounds like a great idea, one retard less that could procreate

I've attempted it a few years ago. After the first week I had to start taking breaks, because the skin was peeling right off my hands. Couldn't finish because of that reason. Did it for like 3-4 weeks, didn't really notice any good stuff besides grip getting a bit stronger when the skin was not peeling off.

If you want to start it, use gloves or something or just do different type of cardio like sprints.

But why

Its a damn good pattern to learn, but op is mildly retarded for trying to do so many. Serves no purpose to be able to do that many, basically akin to a hamster on a hamster wheel

Cos its hard.
To get some variance before I get back to squatting
for fun
I'll buy some chalk
I'll be careful about that and try to stay safe

This is entirely the wrong way to do kettlebells. Also this workout plan is retarded. There's no weight variance, progression, or ladder. If you are just doing it to lose weight or as endurance cardio, be my guest. Otherwise its pretty fucking useless.

>This is entirely the wrong way to do kettlebells
>doesn't suggest anything else

What are you even good for?

We are objecting to your meme challenge, theres no need for any meme challenge for you hence why there is no alternative.

Did you already buy the kettlebell? If not, build a T-Handle and instead add it as an accessory to any other work-out routine. I'd suggest 4x12, increase the weight by 1.25-5 pounds per workout.

instructables.com/id/T-Handle-Kettlebell/

If you don't have weights, you can get a solid set of adjustable dumbbells with 90 pounds off Amazon for somewhere around $100.

amazon.com/105-Adjustable-Cast-Iron-Dumbbells/dp/B009GC76NW/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1462573161&sr=1-2&keywords=adjustable dumbbell

>can't hack it
>better call it a meme

What are YOU even good for?

Kettlebell swings is the most meme exercise I've ever seen in a gym. It's literally a stupid cardio

retard

It's fucking retarded though. I'd rather work out and get more out of it than wasting half an hour or more trying to fit in x kettlebells a day.

Congrats, you swung a weight between your legs 10 thousand times. What did that accomplish?

I'd rather do one of those stupid pushup challenges since those actually help your physique and strength

Theres three exercises for kettlebell.

Snatch- youtube.com/watch?v=ev15rcvHUMc

Jerk- youtube.com/watch?v=QTGMPHGfE1I

Long Cycle- youtube.com/watch?v=zIkBvfhx64Y

> Would you like to know more?

Didn't Dan John create this? From t nation?

Anyway op, you're not supposed to go into this fresh out of the gate, you should nail the form and really understand the queues associated with it. There are plenty of good articles about swing form on t nation, just be wary of any shilling.

Start with s&s, or etk. Basically anything by pavel or those associated with him is good. GS is good too but you have to work up to that and that is more strength endurance. OP's workout is way too many reps,if you want huge volume train daily.

Op here,

I've been doing swings 6 days a week with 32kg for the last 3 months. In the mean time I was lifting 3 times a week. - I started light - recovering from a bad knee doctor. but within 3 months I comfortably squat 100kg for 5s and also comfortably swing 32 kg for 20 reps.

I wanna do the challenge for a couple of reasons.

I wanna beat the challenge- just because it is there
I wanna burn some fat - I know I know... DIET
I wanna develop some conditioning so I can reduce rest periods in my workouts and get more work in - I work out during my lunch break
I'd like to workout in the sun for a while - experimenting on Jack Kruse theory that we are fat and sick because we do not get enough sunshine.

I can't finish this for the life of me. I managed to grind out 300 reps few days a go. Holy shit, my legs are still sore. How the fuck do people do 500 reps DAILY??

I am guessing good form is the most important.

Soreness decreases the more you do the movement.

Just go run retard. This is just cardio when you start doing that many.

Yeah I did it with Chin-ups when I didn't have access to a gym. It's hell for the first week then gets easy. I lost a bunch of weight and my lifts didn't suffer too much.

Your kettlebell is twice as heavy as what it reccomends. It will be stupidly difficult unless you're a freakbeast.

Typical Veeky Forums. A bunch of guys who've been in the gym themselves for a total of 1½ month suddenly think they're entitled to an opinion - And if something doesn't look exactly like the few couple of things they've seen before, they'll fucking hate it right away.
Somebody asks about the Safety bar for squats? Veeky Forums thinks it's retarded.
Somebody asks about the Slingshot for bench presses? Veeky Forums thinks it's retarded.
Somebody asks about ANYTHING that isn't Starting Strength or "PPL" - Veeky Forums thinks it's retarded.

The 10,000 swings challenge is basically a conditioning program. It's not going to get you swole and it's not going to make you break a streak of PRs if you're already reasonably strong (except maybe in the deadlift by chance). What it will do is make you burn fat, feel better and increase you work capacity greatly - effectively setting you up for some really good progress after you're finished with it.
And it's a challenge of course. Everybody can use a challenge every now and then - both for the fun of it but also to build some mental toughness.

Nope - Dan John recommends 24 kg (53lbs) for men and 16 kg (35lbs) for women

Exactly! I want to increase work capacity so I can have more volume in my workouts. I will use the 28 days as a break (deload) from my normal strength program and then go back to it. and work for PRs :)
My ultimate goal is to be strong in the dead lift, squat, bench and ohp. Secondary goals are have abs look good naked.

While you can build work capacity via conditioning, you really don't have to lose your strength training while doing it. That can actually backfire on you, as you gain conditioning but lose work capacity on the lifting side of things.

Put in on the backburner sure, but don't drop it.

He's not dropping it. Did you even read the program?

The strength work on the swing program is so fucking light (as it has to be, since you're supposed to be wrecked from the primary focus of the actual conditioning work) that its barely the same thing as normal lifting.

Typical Veeky Forums. A autist who's read about being in the gym and workouts think he's entitled to an opinion - And if it doesn't look basic then obviously it's the latest fad he has to try.

I suggested running you, autist, because it's good for conditioning and pretty safe. Doing 500 reps of whatever isn't a great idea in most cases. You're more prone to injury if you're swinging around weight while tired and if you're not tired after 300 or even 400 reps of something in a day then something should probably be changed. Plus, lifting has a built in challenge when you test your one rep max.

it's only 28 days. Sure I will lose some strength but in my experience it takes about 2 weeks to get back to where I was.

When I was lifting in the past, I would be lifting seriously for a while and than hit a plateau... then my company would send me on a business trip for 2-3 weeks.

When I came back I was weaker but in 2-4 weeks I'd bust through my previous plateaus .. so I was forced to take a break from the gym but it turned out good still. This happened many times and now I am not so worried about losing some str. as it comes back.

Conditioning is somewhat specific to the timeframes and muscles involved. Running won't have the same sort of effect as repeated bouts of swings will. Hill sprints or similar would be closer but they're pretty injury prone particularly if you're a heavier lifter.

And there's a world of difference between a 1RM in terms of challenge and a high rep challenge and a conditioning challenge. They suck in very different ways, speaking as someone who's vomited on all three and greyed out on two.

Well I think it's great that you actually came with an alternative idea that you liked better, rather than just saying OP's idea sucked. So that's cool. But you're missing a couple of things.

First, you're making a theoretical argument against something's that been field tested. Maybe your idea is better, maybe it isn't. But you can't say OP's idea is bad due to the simple fact that is has been shown to accomplish what it's supposed to.

Secondly and more importantly, you are saying you know better than THE Dan John, who's basically the most revered person in the entire world of strength and conditioning. He's the godfather of lifting things. He's the guy that all the guys you look up to, look up to. Now, you want to go on record and say his program sucks, by my guest. But you'd be making quite a fool out of yourself.

I'd forgotten about the Kettlebell swing.
I've been looking for something to put in to complement my deadlift routine. This is it.

>crossfit shit
kill yourself. Oh wait you already are

Why though? what do you gain from this?

>10000 reps of anything
Say hello to uncle Rhabdo for me

Running is a) for fags and b) not 'safe' in any meaningful way compared to any other form of conditioning. It's 500 reps of the most basic movement pattern possible, it's not that bad.

,p
. Or just try not having the hands of a prepubescent girl?

conditioning
mental toughness
fat loss

moron

The [literally anything but count calories and lift weights] ChallengeTM!!!
>2 inch knee ROM
>momentum abuse
>smacking your balls is exercise

very productive and well backed

Are kettlebells good for building mass or just strength?

There's dozens of great full body workouts you can do with Kettlebells. But in the end, its not gonna build huge muscles. Think of it as a compliment to both callisthenics and lifting. For instance, if you plateau on Deadlift, you can help yourself progress by improving your core wit kettlebells.

good for keeping skelly manbuns away from the free weights

spooky skeleton here, does this mean I have no hope? No gym here, but there is a kettle-bell lying out in the scrap yard.

I really enjoy the things Dan John creates, tried it but form suffers really quickly, fucking up my lower back.

Dan John is really great though, no nonsense fucker

I did the 40 day workout challenge though, felt stronger than ever

How much does it weigh?

You can get a long way with kettlebell and callisthenics. If you can get ahold of a chinup bar, you are set. You wont get huge, but you'll get a decent body.

My deadlift improved the most from Dan John's rule of 10

its a 16 kg. No chinup bars here but a couple of bars to do pull ups on.

I have 2 x 24kg kettlebells and you can really get a good workout with them, packed the most size in my shoulders in my 'ketlebell time'.

Ayyy I tried this too, squat went nowhere special but it never does, bench flew up, deads kept creeping up the whole time.

I unironically use this as well.

4 months of swings - 50 to 80 reps a day
result : skeleton back. pic related

Stopped at 7,000 swings because of boredom.
youtube.com/watch?v=DZyZVhZs5ds
Make this glove or have fun with fucked up hands and a lot of painful blisters.
My lifts did go up but not by a ton. It did make my forearms grow, gave me better grip strength, and was excellent cardio. Have fun with it OP. BTW get a lacrosse ball or tennis ball and massage your forearms every day. Look up form videos as well it's a hip hinge not a squat.

damn, mirin natty swing gains

What is he using to create it - kinesitape?
Also what about using chalk or regular lifting gloves

I made mine out of athletic tape and it can last for awhile. Doing 500 swings gave me blisters regularly. Gloves feel weird to me so I never used them. Chalk was helpful when my palms were sweaty but I still got blisters. It wasn't until I used that glove that I rarely ever had them.

meant for

Do

3xY Wide gripped pullups, hits your chest and triceps
3xY Dips, hits your chest and triceps
3xY Pullups/Chinups (doesn't matter which), hits your back and biceps
3xY Kettlebell Swings, hits your legs and core
3xF Plank, Hits your core

There's a good full body workout for you.
Google variations on all of these. For instance, the wider your grip on the pushup, the more you'll hit your chest rather than your triceps. A similar formula applies to your Dips. You can vary them, but doing a neutral grip on both is fine as a beginning step.

Be sure to thoroughly youtube all of these movements so that you know how to do them before giving them ago.
Be sure to check this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0

Do this every other day.

Hey OP;
Good idea.
Did it and it was great. Great fat loss, some cardio gains and my grip improved.

Some tips/experiences:
1.some help for visual set counting.
I was lost so hard in some sets...
2. Something for your Hands to protet them.
3. Form

ALso try lots of Fishoil with this and do a tape measuring of your belly
( before-after pics ?)

Great to see someone do some Dan John stuff.

Socks actually work. Like I wouldn't bring them to the gym, but if you're doing it at home, hey.

first time i hear of athletic tape... gonna check it out.
I will definitely do the before and after pics + measurements.

I was also a bit concerned about counting - for the sets I'll bring pen and paper but for the 50 reps sets... it gets difficult when you have to control your breath ...

Form-wise - I am working with a trainer now. He is quite good at "girevoy" which is the Russian name of this kind of sport, even has titles. Main concern is - I need to stretch out my hamstrings and calfs so that I can "follow" the bell to its end position without bending the knees too much. but I have time

Dan John is the man!

I just saw a video of somebody cutting the elastic part of a sock and using that...

To as Dan John suggests and just Count in the sets of 50. each breath a swing.

slow Romanin Deadlifts with elevated front foot for hamstring flexiablity

But you inspired me, maybe will try to do the challange as well. Thank you for sharing.

Stop thinking that the gym is the only way to improve your level of fitness. If you can't do 50 burpee's, 25 dips between your washer and dryer, 24 correct form pushups, jump rope for 30 minutes, 15 pullups then you have plenty of shit you can do at home.

Exercise your body you lazy fuck you will feel so much better if you just do something rather than waiting on a gym.

I did it, and it was pretty fun. I built up to the full 5 supersets but didn't stick with it more than a couple weeks. Good general conditioning program, good as a brief program before "resetting" into something else longer-term.

It's the git rite for the summer high schoolers. In other words, basically normal Veeky Forums but worse.

>32 posters
>70 replies
>"people" keep talking about how smart Dan John is, and are typing like a spokesperson

Have some decency you ravenous faggots

how retarded are you?

4/10, you?

That sounds like the perfect thing for retarded crossfit fags

This isn't crossfit, retard. Learn before giving your shitty opinion.

The 10k swings challenge is similar to Pavel's article on ArtofManliness. It's just more difficult and without time restriction. I don't know if this challenge is good though.

True, and I just tried "fast tens" by Tsatsouline with one 16 kg.

> bigger shoulders, forearms, glutes, abs, back, legs.
> bigger everything except pecs

I thought Rhabdo was a clown

No, but I do about 80 swings with a 25 lb kettlebell as part of my warm up.