Sleek vs Yoked, Waist, and Deadlifts

Hey Veeky Forums. I've been lifting for three years now and have a question for you.

I've attached an imaged of two different bodytypes at similar bodyfat, but different amounts of lean mass, and where that lean mass is located. I understand that many of you may prefer the image on the right, but I *strongly* prefer the left.

While I understand that it's a drawing, I chose to share this because it gives a cleaner comparison between the two body types. If you would prefer real human pictures to compare, let me know.

Which brings me to my question. I notice the image on the right has a much thicker torso, along with larger traps. My current routine has a strong emphasis on heavy compound movements (deadlift, flat bench, etc). However, I'm concerned this will build mass in areas that make me look like the image on the right rather than the image on the left. I'm interested in keeping my torso as small as possible, and am concerned that the stabilization of a heavy compound movement like a deadlift would thicken my trunk. Even when powerlifters slim down they have a crazy thick torso, I don't want that.

Which brings me to my question, how do I look like the image on the left rather than the right? Should I remove deadlifts from my routine to avoid building a thick torso?

Cheers.

Also, I understand that genetics play a role in this, but I'm talking about what I can *actually* influence by my actions. I don't care about things that are predetermined.

Obviously you can add lean muscle in different areas through your choice of exercises. For this reason, I suspect that by changing my routine I could look *closer* to the image on the left than on the right. Thanks.

be born with a narrow waist

lel it's not going to make a difference unless you're pulling well over 5pl8

small waist is important but you can obviously make your shoulder to waist ratio bigger by training the shoulders and lats.

It's literally all about bone structure and muscular insertions as to which build will look better on your frame. If you have a narrow waist/hips the left will look better but right will still look good. If you have wide hips/waist the right will look better, but you'll still look good on the left. As far as muscular insertions, an example would be right has much higher traps and lower lats, while left has much lower traps and very high lats.

I'm at around 3 plates for deadlift right now, fairly lean though. The reason I ask is because I believe that to even be able to pull 5 plates I would need a thick waist. That's not something that I want, so why chase after 5 plates if it won't help me achieve what I want?

I don't care about functional strength/the amount I pull by the way. It's only purpose to me is to get the body I want. I'm a vain sonofabitch.

if you weren't born with a small waist you won't look like the left picture.

it really depends on your frame, deadlifts won't thicken your waist much

bro you just have to do stomach vacuums to get the body of the left

trust me i've left humanity behind..

Just roid then.

>wanting to look like a twink bitch
OUTTA MY WAY

is there a link that shows how to do them properly? I feel like it's not working when I'm doing it

3 plate isn't a heavy deadlift. unless you really push yourself, you're not going to magically pop up to a 5 plate one without a lot of intense struggle. you might casually get up to around 3.5… and whatever, you'll still be skinny unless you're eating donuts every day

>However, I'm concerned this will build mass in areas that make me look like the image on the right rather than the image on the left.

Meme. All classic bodybuilders did heavy deadlifts and squats.

The picture you have is simply a difference in genetics and bodyfat%.

Doesn't having a big developed tva give like the pregnancy belly?

Sorry didnt save full set
Just reverse search this image

Right is more attractive to the sloots than the left. It's also more Veeky Forums to have your core developed in that way.

Fuck off faggot

As a Natty, if you want to lift enough to have enough muscle to look like the sleek pic, you're going to have to do compounds that involve your core. OHP/Squat all work your core. When you start benching heavy enough, your core will work then too. Same with heavy-weighed chinups.

The only way isolations put on that mass without your core is Juice.

It's a meme

You're actually pretty incorrect here. As an actual bodybuilder, I agree with you that squats and deadlifts are helpful, however, heavy weights for bodybuilding are not a necessity. Arnold used to squat heavy on occasion, but his typical working sets were 135-185 for squats. A lot of today's bodybuilders squat their own bodyweight (that is to say, their bodyweight on the bar) for high volume workouts of 100 reps in 4 minutes, and other bizarre ways to chase the pump. While some bodybuilders definitely squat heavy, and make it work (Ronnie Coleman, Kai Greene), many others squat relatively light weights at extreme volume because they can do more of that without fatigue.
Again, I wouldn't say no bodybuilders do those heavy, but they're definitely the exception rather than the rule.

I'm talking about old timers, not modern bodybuilders.

Park, Reeves, Arnold, Zane. They all did heavy squats and deadlifts.

And I'm not arguing about fatigue or whatever. I'm exclusively talking about the effects of heavy compounds, specifically DL and Squat, on physique and waist thickness.

Are you sure? It looks like the insertions are identical, and the bodyfat is extremely similar. The only difference is in the proportional ratio of different areas (waist, traps, shoulders, etc)

Mate, it's a drawing. None of those two are actually real.

The guy who draws them can choose whatever type of proportions he wants. But they're just eyecandy, they're not real human proportions.

thick torso might be the result of hypetrophy of the transverse abdominis which produces IAP (intra-abdominal pressure) to prevent herniation of abdominal organs through the abdominal wall or rupturing of spinal discs.

if you are never intending to lift heavy weights then there isn't any need to train that muscle to hypertrophy - you would need to rely on machines in that case I think, so the weight isn't loading your spine. Some freeweight exercises might be ok as long as they were sufficiently far away from "axial loading" which is when the weight is directly above the spine. OHP loads your spine axially so that would be what you would want to avoid.

if you are training "show" muscles though you need to be able to understand your limits - loading the sort of weights your well-trained arms, shoulders etc. will be able to move around onto your spine without training the supportive muscles at all will be very risky - in a similar way to steroid users whose muscles develop ahead of their tendons, if you see what I mean.

I hear that sometimes "roid-gut" is HGH or actually I think IGF swelling the organs inside the abdomen.

Ht/wt/ waist in inches?

If I'm not mistaken, HGH causes the body to produce IGF. It's a chicken egg thing.

Arnold got away from that once he moved into serious bodybuilding. Zane did the same thing. They both dropped the heavy weights in favour of volume. Just because they're genetic freaks who excel at anything weightlifting related and happened to work on heavy weights when they started doesn't really say much about the contributions of lifting heavy to an aesthetic physique. You'd understand it a lot more if you were to actually lift, and even more so if you were actually a bodybuilder.

The pic is from a comp in 66
He also competed in PL in 68
Arnold won his first the IFBB Mr. Universe in 69

Yes, good job on matching photos to years, gold star. Now try looking at how he changed his training up.
On top of that, you're missing the point, which isn't surprising because you don't have the experience, but high volume is key for bodybuilding, and heavy weight is superfluous. Worse than superfluous, it's inefficient for hypertrophy.

Great points but you're arguing against a strawman.
The only point I made in this thread is that heavy deadlifts and squats are not detrimental to a classic thin-waist physique - as proven by many classic bodybuilders who had thin waists and did heavy deadlifts and squats.

Muscular shape is mostly genetic you fucking retards

if you're only a few years into training 1-3 I seriously doubt that you'll put on anywhere close to the amount of muscle that you think you will in those areas you listed.

If you focus on strength based compounds you will get bigger, but the tendons and ligaments will be doing the work.

if I've learned anything it's that steroids + a bunch of volume with many sets and exercises and a medium weight is how you make it in bodybuilding.

natties should lift 3 times a week compound movements, strength focused.

story behind that picture?

*narrow hips