3x8 or 5x5 for weight loss?

Alright so I lost 65 pounds from July/August 2015 to April 2016. I've been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 since late March and while I've seen solid results it's starting to get boring so I need a new routine.

Is 5x5 or 3x8 better for losing weight? I plan on switching to a 4 day split from 3 so that'll help already and I always eat at or below maintenance calories. I've been hovered around 175 for a month but it looks like I am slowly adding muscle/losing fat.

Other urls found in this thread:

fitsticky.com/novice-programs
fitsticky.com/starting-strength
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fork putdowns 3x10. All that's necessary

in every single post about what program is best for weight loss. Is that really all there is to it? I understand that at the core of all fat loss is healthy eating but god damn, are you telling me if I just sit on my ass and eat less i'll thin out and lose all the fat?

Pretty much. I don't do cardio at all and I've been losing a pound a week since January. I just eat at a deficit.

However, having more muscle will help you lose more weight in the long run.

It's calories in and calories out. Eat less and your body burns fat.

What height and weight are you now? If you're severely overweight I'd start with dropping a few pounds before training, if you're just a little fat/chubby just start working out. Most starter programs will do (Starting strength / stronglifts), maybe add a little cardio on off days (cycling or brisk walking at a steady pace for 30-45 minutes).

I you want dietary advice just give a shout

When it comes to weight loss, the lifting side of it all is 90% about preserving muscle. Very little of the losing weight side of things comes from picking things up and putting them down (unless you're doing a lot of weighted conditioning work).

You could jump from 5x5 to 3x8 or vice versa and it'd have about as much effect, maybe less, as deciding to drop one slice of bread from your daily intake.

I'd go with 5x5 but the difference is really small as far as total reps go. More sets is better for strength purposes tho

Rpt

It's definitely the biggest part but don't let people convince you, you don't need to work out. The more muscle you have, the larger your metabolism which means you'll burn calories and lose weight faster. Plus its just good for you.

Dieting is key but it should always be done with a consistent workout plan if possible. I think you've seen so much success partly because you've been building muscle.

Keep SL and walk 1 hour all days. Or switch to ICF if you want more accesories.

Eating less would be a start

Neither.
fitsticky.com/novice-programs

if you're cutting, you might as well just try to get stronger in the most efficient way possible. you're not going to build muscle in a deficit, but you can get stronger.

2x5 or 1x8 2x a week

who the fuck cuts on stronglifts?

i dont see any cutting routine in sticky

Routine doesnt mattter for weight loss, diet does. Do a PPL built around the press, bench, squats, deads and rows for heavy sets of 5, with some higher volume stuff after each main movement.

Drop your shitty while body 3x a week memr because you won't progress as fast as you can. This is also more fun since you're doing fun shit in the gym more.

Don't listen to this meme who would sell you up the T Rex river.

It's on fitsticky.com/starting-strength
You start with the regular program and move on to the "cutting version" over time (it's lower down the page).

Then once that gets harder to progress, move on to a slower program like TM.

thank you dear faggot

eat less and you'll lose fat, but keep the same bodyfat%

eat less and work out and you'll lose less muscle, so your bodyfat% goes down.

so if you only eat less, you become skinnyfat

if you eat less and workout, you become a DYEL

i think i get it and I'd rather be the latter & semi-attractive to women

You can still build muscle mass on a small caloric deficit (200kcal or so). You'll only stay dyel if you do a dumb program or do steep deficits.

Most people* don't even need a deficit, simply eating at maintenance and lifting will provide good muscle growth, good strength gains, and shed down bf%.

* not in the US

I can't wait until the novelty of artificial attention wears off for you and you finally off yourself

i'm in the US, so i have I'm cutting at like 500-1000 calories a day.

5x5 for the big lifts (squat, bench, dead, ohp, bb row), 3-4x8-10 for isolations