/OWG/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

OLYMPICS Weightlifting General
A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>why arent you gays in olympic edition

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
chinfl.blogspot co.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW

>helpful blog on some technique quirks:
yashathoughts.com

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

>Commisar's notes on the dank, zesty Meme Method (DZMM)
pastebin.com/u0jiY8sM (embed)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCbHcvXhxdezJj2oXRwsB1ew
youtube.com/watch?v=guMgUEil5F8
fitsticky.com/novice-programs
fitsticky.com/intermediate-programs
fitsticky.com/texas-method
youtu.be/9K3hdEWvs3s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Has /owg/ really merged with /plg/? And stretching is making my tendinitis worst, shouldn't have fell for the meme advice on here. I don't think foam rolling does anything either, except make my shoulders hurt from needing to leverage my body enough to feel the roller.

>idk strength doesnt come one way tho
What do you mean by this?

My coach makes me practice light technique at the start of sessions over and over (25kg) for months, so I'm not sure if it's worth programming any real weights yet, he said to wait until my technique is flawless first? Is that just his method of coaching?

>Can anyone help me with what routine to do/give me one? There is way too much choice from what I've read so I'm not sure what would be best.

I would like a lot of focus on improving my back squat, positions and overall mobility/stability such as in OHS position.

I am 75kg 5'9 with a 140kg 1RM backsquat, 105kg frontsquat and a 65kg 1RM strict press. (Not sure if this helps).

use lacrosse ball on your forearms close to elbows

there's a lot of trigger points in there, makes my wrist feel 100% all the time

i put a cool channel commercial on my channel.
remember to subscribe and give a like and share with friends desu
youtube.com/channel/UCbHcvXhxdezJj2oXRwsB1ew

stretching and foam rolling does not heal anything but it may ease the pain for some people. the only way of healing is by resting

the coaches i had in korea made me add weight when i first went and did not make me lift only with the bar. i didnt tell them that i was already lifting too. the only time i lifted with the bar is when they made me do the same drill torokhtiy teaches in his videos

which is muscle sn/cl --> muscle sn/cl above knee --> muscle sn/cl below knee --> muscle sn/cl below knee with squat.
teaching the starting position came afterwards.

squat vid --> youtube.com/watch?v=guMgUEil5F8

>Has /owg/ really merged with /plg/?

No, people are just memeing.

>And stretching is making my tendinitis worst

Tendinitis needs rest, not stretching. Stretch after the inflammation has cooled off.
Use ice or topical antiinflammatories if needed.

Are you sure it's tendinitis and not something else though?

tfw some user has a vid of me saved
well then

hmm thanks, I have no idea what to do. I've been doing tech for months with no weight and other lifters have said my tech looks fine for now, but the coach is still making me do it?

Should I try adding weight? I feel like I'm getting nowhere.

Where is the place to look/person to ask about beginner programming in the situation I am in with my classics right now?

You're dumb. I saw your grade listed online, you barely have a passing grade. Kek.

>spends 99% of his time posting on Veeky Forums
>fails med school because of it
Dumby

Maybe if you shitposted less and pay attention in school you could actually give decent advice.

About that TW squat vid, he says to relax???

I've always saw and read that you have to get very tight and keep upper back very tight but he is saying not to?

Nice try but I aced one and got a 9/10 on the other on my previous two tests - and got a 5/5 on the PBL group avaliation.

>9/10
>5/5
are you in grade school holy kek

Medschool senpai.

Can I do something like 3x5 3x/week LP for my squats to get from 100 1rm to say 130/140 1rm as long as it's consistent?

>trappy chan's going to medschool so he can learn to cut his own dick off.

If you're eating well then yeah.

Very nice vid.

>tfw no trappy gf

yi upper back should be relaxed like how the chest should be relaxed and open/alive instead of inflated out.
i kno that powerlifters say that and have very narrow grip in squat but i was told not to do that.

you should add weight
as for programming i dont think it matters too much as long as you focus on technique and gradual strength and works with your schedules.

i working on that russian 3 day spreadsheet tho

i think pic related is preperation phase but idk yet

Trappy could you please share that collection of routines where it has like examples of 3 and 4 day routines? I have been looking for it.

fitsticky.com/novice-programs
fitsticky.com/intermediate-programs
fitsticky.com/texas-method

Or are you talking about the Takano spreadsheets?

>Coach says feet to side during snatch
>Torokhity and Klokov say feet back

Sweating frog.jpg

Nope that's the one. I was especially thinking about the Texas Method one. Thank you. I am about to transition from SS and I want to start a split routine that doesn't suuuuuuck.

Klokov says slide feet to the sides, not back.

Those are just examples though, feel free to customise it to fit your goals.

Oh but some are back, which do I do?

Sides is the optimal.

Hey fuck you

yo traps can i do texas method but do accessories on the 'off' days? ie, AaBbCcx where CAPS = COMPOUNDS DAYS, small letters = non-compound isolation crap.

What does the routine look like?

reasons not to squat jerk GO
(i have the flexibility, can do webm related)

how do u even get the flexbility for that

tips?

stretched the everloving fuck out of my pecs for like 7 or 8 minutes tbqh, + the prerequisite flexibility for atg overhead squat

claim your waifu

I claim Rinoa from FF8

It's harder on your shoulders and knees and maybe other stuff.

You're more likely to miss your lifts doing a squat jerk.

Squat jerks are overall harder and require more energy.

IF you can move more weight with a squat jerk, those 3 points alone may not make it worth it.

There's lots of other reasons, the same reasons not everybody does squat jerks instead of split/occasionally power.

today was the first time I successfully did a shitty bar only overhead squat.

i've been doing snatch grip squats with just the bar. extending into an overhead position and holding it. am i doing it right? I can feel my upper back churning and morphing

checked, but
>It's harder on your shoulders and knees and maybe other stuff.
the way you phrased that is kind of dubious desu, do you have any sources on that?
>You're more likely to miss your lifts doing a squat jerk.
n-not if i practice them
>Squat jerks are overall harder and require more energy.
this is a valid point i will admit. hmm

Personal preference, really.

>today was the first time I successfully did a shitty bar only overhead squat.
it'll probably take a while to get a clean grip ohs, keep stretchin'
>extending into an overhead position and holding it
in the bottom position? my coach had me doing them while squatting down, so that your arms locked out as you reached bottom position
either way is legit i think

It's shit

lower margin for error

What is he trying to prove with his facial expression?

no u
but why? there's no footwork involved (the main reason i want to switch from split) and you can go further under the bar before locking out, right? so it should be easier...

yes from the bottom position.i can actually feel my thoracic mobility limiting me.

what do you guys think is the most intense calorie burning weight lifting exercise. I did squats with heaviest dumbells I can hold each hand (30 pounds) 5 sets of 20-15 and dayum did I sweat.

Beginner here.

I've realized I can't do these lifts on my own, so I've been looking around for a coach. The problem is that the only coaches close by are cross shit dudes. With that being said, they do olympic lifts on the side and one is even certified by the Olympics.

Should I deal with it and be instructed by someone who will likely propagandize cross fit?

but goodluck if the bar happens to be a little bit in front or behind, with split you can easily move your feet to stabilize a moving bar

Oooo looks pretty, I'm looking forward to seeing it once you have finished it

A little hop backwards isn't necessarily a bad thing, for some people they can do better when they jump back a little, you should ask your coach why he wants you to jump back because he probably has a good reason for it

If you make it clear you don't care about crossfit and want to learn WL, I doubt they're gonna be bothering you about crossfit.

You'll always have better progress with a coach, even an average coach, if they can't perform the lifts then I wouldn't, but if they are right into Weightlifting then they will likely be quite useful to you as a beginner

Self coaching is a pain, you have to be fully autistic if you want to improve

>you can go further under the bar before locking out, right? so it should be easier...

That is an advantage but if that was not the limiting factor, which it is unlikely to be for you, it's not easier.

Unless you're cleaning massive weights that you can't split (and you have trained the split for years), go with the technique that doesn't require you to do a full squat, and is more reliable.

if you can find a crossfit coach that is USAW certified (or your national federation), not the crossfit certification, and just do their "barbell club" program you should be fine.

I don't really see any way where jumping back could be an advantage. Doing it a little isn't the worst thing there is, but any non-vertical movement is not optimal.

claimed

I'm gonna give that lifting class teacher the old what for

gonna be like

hey

can i do my own program

Then if that doesnt work i have a plan that cant fail for it

if i have proper AM sessions my result should improve and if i stop doing lifts that dont have specificity then my result should improve

Mashiro Mitsumine from mikakunin de shinkokei

Come on guys, cats are cute, girls are cute, only way to get perfection is to mix them.

Stoic girls are best girls

bossy lolis

I have compiled a list of meme exercises for you /owg/, based on the crossfit 'weightlifting routine' my friend sent me to do

-overhead squat
-squat jerk
-push jerk
-dumbbell snatch

What about Sumo Deadlift High Pulls?

Damn nice taste, I thought she was full fox or something

yeah i dont do any of those so they're mem excercises

haha I completely forgot about that, also kb swings

Are you making fun of me

no 2 weeks ago I told a friend who does crossfit coaching that I'm giving up on everett's programming

the routine he gave me had snatching once a week, cj once a week, and the rest were huge amounts of squats, overhead squats, push jerk, and db snatches, with kb swings as his 'active rest' days

I write active rests too tho
Who do you take me as

is your friend my gymbro?

telling him tomorrow his program is garbage and doing my own thing

asking for trappy rares is not active rest

you should do a good program and make big progress in classics then tell him it's because of kettlebell swings

Yeah, that's high demanding activity

my chest gives me trouble when I add weight on dips (maybe xyphoid process, idk). Ideas for progressively overloading on dips without relying on adding weight? I can do 6x20 at bodyweight, which just feels excessive.

It's been so long since I've had to answer to anyone with the authority to dictate the particulars of my life to me. Definitely don't miss high school.

>filename
Well played. Also, no.

Depends entirely on your build desu

Klokov isn't the be all and end all

Overhead squat and push jerk are decent tho

That he's the boss.

No, backwards movement of the feet is usually due to bad technique of bad bar path. It's not something you actively want. Though it can save a miss if your bar path is bad.

imo ideal is slightly back slightly out to the sides

i'm pretty sure bulgarians teach to jump backwards, or did

So you're saying all those elite lifters who jump backwards have bad technique?

Lmao

Jumping back and moving feet out are two entirely different things tho, and aren't mutually exclusive

I can't think of anyone who pulls with the same feet position as they catch, even lu, who's movement is very minimal, still moves

Yes. Not all of them, but yes.

Trappy-chan posts Godelli all the time and he's a good example of bad technique and still having results.

You're not supposed to jump back. But as I said it can save a bad pull. A bit of displacement is not the end of the world.

>you're not suppose to

This is like saying you're 'not supposed to' pick you feet up. There are no rules about jumping back, and seeing as the bar path isn't straight anyway, you can still have proper technique with a small backwards movement. Nothing to do with 'saving lifts'.

Break down exactly what is 'bad' about godelli's lifting

Why can't America send non-hamplanets to the olympics? IT's fucking disgusting. There is no way that extra weight helps them. Mostly talking about women obvi. It's like fucking SJWs are taking over everything.

If I pull all of my working sets/warm-ups sumo, something like

1pl8 x 8
2pl8 x 8
3pl8 x 5
4pl8 x 3

but then when I get to 4.5-5 plate territory I switch to conventional (for doubles and singles, my PR is 485)

Am I holding back my progression? I can't lift as much sumo, I've just made the switch like 3 months ago. I'm working on flexibility and mobility every day, deadlifting 2-3 times a week, my numbers keep going up slowly with the conventional, but I fail 455 in a sumo stance each time I try it. I've asked people to watch my form on heavy conventional pulls and they say there is almost no rounding, straight backed and in one motion. But I just can't lift as much sumo yet...

Would just like some of your opinions on this, please and thank you

Ask /plg/ desu

Fuck off with your sumo no reps

wrong thread kid

fuuug I thought I posted this in plg

mb familia

youtu.be/9K3hdEWvs3s

You're saying this is a bad pull?

Jeez

Yeah, she cut it short. Should get a coach.

I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's clearly not a very "clean" technique.
Here's his Snatch.

To be fair analysing technique of world records is kinda pointless.

And here's Lü's (same weightclass) Snatch. You can see it's a lot more stable and "clean", even though the weight is considerably heavier.

Oh but analysing godelli's best snatch is?

Don't be dumb trappy, they're both max efforts.

what happened here

So you just established analysing max efforts is pointless but then did it anyway ;^)

Good effort at memeing

I didn't express myself well. What I meant by "analysing technique of world records is kinda pointless" is arguing whether it's bad or not.
What user asked was whether it was a bad pull or not.

Analysing technique is always a good thing. Simply judging whether technique is good or bad, specially from world records, is pointless.

R u retarded holy shit

but they do? you just dont know shit

What stretches should I do to be able to do overhead squats?