QTDDTOT

Questions that don't deserve their own thread. Has anyone here seen success using only machines?

No.

When the fuck do my lats come in? I'm up to 60 pounds in chins and nothing. Does bodyfat hide them like a game of hide and seek?

Probably genetics and bodyfat if I had to guess. Just keep training'em user

iktf i have nice lats from the back but basically nonexistent ones from there front, i look like a tube in a shirt unless i flex, it's especially bad in loose clothes

is it just high insertions?

How do I stop craving junk amd the like? I literally keep failing sticking to my new healthy ways of eating. Is Cold turkey the only way? Is my willpower just not enough?

I'm just going to go with me being too fat... hopefully. But yeah, I fucking love chins so no danger there. Plus I started doing rows so hopefully.

Sucks.

I think I'm going to record myself flexing to see if I can find some hope.

stop being weak

Me too I love chins. I have a bar at my room door. You can get a decent body just doing them alone with diet and cardio. Favorite exercise by far

How do you perform your chin-ups? When done properly they're actually much, much harder than you'd think. Try to keep your upper back arced (thoracic spine extension) throughout the movement, and try to pull your chest all the way up to the bar instead of just your chin.

Do you know how to use your back to pull with instead of your arms? Understand that your lats are only connected to your upper arm (the humerus) and has zero connection to your forearm or hands. For this reason it helps to focus your mind on the movement your upper arm makes and try to ignore your forearms, your hands and even the actual weight or bar. Think about moving your elbows from A to B rather than the weight.

Also, pauses @ peak contraction are really good for feeling your back work.

See what the research says on machines OP

Pullups are better for lat width than chins

I need to find my motivation

the extension from chins/close grip works the lats as hard as adduction from overhand pullups.
Just dont go to wide. And do both extension and adduction based lat exercises for mac growth

They're two pretty fucking similar variations of the same fundamental exercise. The difference is neglible. Even if beginners like to make threads debating which is "superior".

What about medium grip overhand pull ups are they still effective? Those are all I can do due to the width of my door

Tbh all I do is pull myself up to the bar. I never really thought about my form nor can I confirm if I'm doing them like you're saying or not. But I do plan to keep them in mind next chin session.

I do pause at the top but it's mostly to flex at hit my bis hard. I don't know if that helps you diagnose me, but my mindset is just to get my head over the bar, flex the fuck out of my bis, go down to almost straight arm and then back up and repeat.

Even if I'm doing it wrong, I'd still be hitting my lats hard though, no?

That elbow thing is something I'll have to use though.

I finally have started to diet and exercise. I weighed 139 lbs a week ago and I'm 6' 2". I'm already 146 lbs, which I'm sure is mostly waste weight. Every day until today I struggled to meet my 3000 calorie goal, but all of the sudden I was able to eat it all in two meals. I now am crazy hungry in spite of smashing my goals by 600 calories. Wtf just happened to my body? The hunger hurts. Literally the opposite issue every day until now

>are they still effective?
Yes.

You're always going to be using both your elbow flexors and your back muscles. But your mental focus as well as your so-called mind-muscle connection determines what muscles do the most work. If you're actively flexing your biceps hard all the time, then that's very likely removing work from the lats. You're fucking it up for yourself doing that.

You've given me a lot to think about. Thanks user

Before I go however, is there any benefit to do wide grip chins over a narrower grip, or would I be just wasting my time?

Go medium grip and never look back

Having the arms out to the side instead of out in front of you, will train the function of adduction instead of flexion. For max development you should be doing both. You don't need to do both at the same time or even regularly though - you can just switch to the other variation once/when you can't seem to make more progress on the one you're currently doing.

Note that you shouldn't go super wide as this basically makes it a shitty exercise with low range of motion. Just wide enough that your elbows are to your sides rather than in front of you.

What does Veeky Forums think of frozen food? Like ready meals and stuff. As long as I try to pic healthier versions is there a problem with making them the bulk of my diet? Like one frozen meal a day

>Like ready meals and stuff
The definition of shit food. Pretty much THE ONLY THING everybody agrees on in the realm of nutritition, is that the more processed the food, the more shit it is.
Avoid at all cost.

Even stuff like weight watchers? What makes it shit exactly? Just curious. High sodium and all the additive/preservatives..? Or is there more things I'm missing

OP here
No one? Damn. Machines really suck huh. Kek.

High sodium isn't much of an issue unless you have hypertension. But the more processed food is, the more of its nutritional value is lost. It becomes more and more like "empty calories", meaning that it's just that, calories, but not much of anything else. Like eating sugar instead of vegetables. Of course I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea.
And yeah then there's all the shit that's added to it.

Damn I see... such a shame. Because they're so damn convenient

19, 5'10 and 150 pounds at 11%bf
Trying to lean bulk on 2700 calories. Why am I still hungry?

I need to gain alot of weight fast and im already eating til the point if almost throwing up, any foods that are calorie-rich but dont fill you up as fast?
>inb4 "just eat more"

>Because they're so damn convenient
Which is part of the reason we're having an obesity epidemic.

What apps are there to track weight lifting?

What about high-end ones like Amy's?

Just invest in a notepad and pen

I can't sleep more than 6-7 hours without waking up naturally, but everywhere I read it says to sleep at least 8-9 hours. Should I just listen to my body?

No.

Clean food is usually very filling. Just eat a lot of sugar and fat and unhealthy shit. Don't you like nutella and shit like PBJ Sandwiches or chips?

What would happen if I increased volume for a lacking exercise? My bench is weak compared to other lifts, should I try doing 5x5 instead of 3x5 just for bench?

SL 5x5 app is free if you're doing that program. I think you could use myfitnesspal to track your gains too but I've never tried it. Just using it for nutrition.

I can't find it in mfp

Just checked it. You can't log in how much weight you lifted so it's pretty much useless. Fitnesspoint seems like it could work. Even gives you statistics about how much weight you lifted.

It might well work.

I'm dyel af. I haven't lifted since I was 21 and I'm 25 now. Back then, I gained muscle easily and was able to look good with a shit routine and diet. I eat an amazing diet now and know how many macros I get every day. I just don't lift.

To get back into it, I signed up for a summer weight lifting class at my university (2 yes left for my masters in engineering) and a weight lifting class in the fall. After that, I'll have a year and a half of university until I'm finished.

How much can I realistically expect to gain in my summer and fall semester? It'll be around 7 months total.

Also, how much can I expect to gain in the 2 years I have that I'll be forced to lift while signing up for lifting classes?

7 months? Don't know if the newbie effect also affects people who stopped lifting in the past but if it does, maybe around 4-6lbs muscle possible in those 7 months. Maybe 12-15lbs alltogether in 2 years, if you follow a strict regiment.

What exercises can I do against unbalanced traps?

Do I have to deadlift to get a good physique? I don't like doing it. Can I just squat, bench, OHP and row? Worried about my legs looking unbalanced in particular if I just squatted without deadlifting

What should I choose as my level of activity in tdee calculators? I lift 6 days a week for 1 hour and do cardio on my rest day

Fitnotes

I would advice against stopping deadlifts just because you don't like doing them. Just watch your form and do it.

You don't "have to do" any exercise. Deadlifts are great, but if you don't like them then do something else. Just don't neglect your posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes, erectors).
I will say though that if you don't like doing them, there's a good chance it's because you still haven't quite nailed down good form yet. Unless of course it's just because they're tough that you don't like them, in which case you're a pussy and won't get ever get anywhere with your training.

Is coffee really that bad to drink every morning? I started lifting about a month ago and I'm still very addicted to coffee, hard to lay off. Been drinking water/tea otherwise, sometimes a beer (maybe once a week)

Naa. Although personally I'd say that being addicted to anything is bad.

Your brain becomes hooked on caffeine and you build up a resistance. Eventually you'll be fatigued all the time unless you drink coffee.

Cardio vs no cardio, is the end result the same when cutting if the exact same deficit is made? I'm on my feet at work 3-4 long days a week 7.30am-9pm. If I can skip cardio on this cut... I will.

I put on 40lbs lean muscle in 7 months

How many mg Tren?

What weight should I start with for dead lifting? I've been working with dumbbells for a bit at 10 kg and am looking to get into dead lifts.

I started with 1pl8. If you have to start with less, try romanian deadlifts.

Thanks, m8.

Natty

How long after a meal is it to enter a fasted state for fasted cardio? Obviously the easiest way to do is upon waking but what if I want to do it later in the day

Before after pics? How tall are you? Pretty hard to believe. Most people put on 40lbs lean mass in 3 years, doing that in 7 months sounds like steroids or bullshit.

For most people, about 40lbs is all they're ever gonna get.

have you a valediction, boyo?

Th-that'll do pig

how do i get rid of a mole in the back ofmy neck

Which is harder cut or bulk?

Bulking because more = more

Cutting is only a problem if you refuse to eat low calorie highly satiating foods aka vegetables

I cut on 2 frozen meals a day but have vegetables for breakfast. I must say if not for that daily dose of veg I'd be screwed

I always look way more muscular in mirrors when the reflection is bad (low light, reflections from glas at night etc.). Why is that?
Does it have to do with the fact that I'm at the end of my bulk and white like an albino or does it happen to everyone?

it depends on where you came from and your metabolism. I hate bulks because I have to eat like 4000kcals/day and I was a skeleton before. Half of my day is literally me worriying about getting my calories in.
Other people might feel the same about cutting if their metabolism only allows for few calories and they're used to eating a lot.

Is I Robot a good movie?

4000 is ridiculous if you're not doing a shitton of cardio at the side. Most people's metabolism doesn't vary that much that they'd need 4000 calories just for small gains.

I know, it's really weird. I started with 2800, didn't make any gains for 2 months, upped to 3300, made solid gains for like 4 months, got stuck after that. Upped to 3700, stopped making progress at 82kgs. I'm making very slow gains at 4000 kcals at the moment.
I'm thinking of a cut just so I don't have to eat that much anymore.

SL 5x5 or ICF for a skelly who wants to be aesthetic?

SS with chins and dips, or GSLP

Would like to know too, low light makes me looks 5x as fit

If I get a small, slight pressure or slight, localized burning sensation in my lower abdomen occasionally in a recurrent spot while coming out of the bottom of a squat, is it a hernia waiting to explode?

Low light provides more shadow, which helps to make what muscle you do have stand out

which apps are good for tracking measurements around bicep, legs etc?
myfitnesspal only alows for neck, hip and waist circumference.

notepad

Pen an paper. Or make an excel file on your computer.

False

What ab exercise works the entire core? I just want a single exercise I can do to exhaustion every morning I wake up.

Literally doesn't matter to start with. Do whichever you think you can stick with and has the most volume. Do this for 6 months.

Do some reading about programming and how it all works and then in a few months you'll know enough to start adding variations and being able to judge what does and doesn't work for you.

Weighted russian twists.

None. But using an ab roller is pretty great.

5/3/1 template, what does the 1? rep mean at the bottom?

amrap?

till failure, probably.

Pretty sure the 1+ above it means AMRAP

Presumably 1+ means amrap

What is the 1? after it

It means you do 1 rep, but only hesitantly and without any real confidence about what your doing or whether you should be doing the rep at all.

Wendler gains.

the question mark refers to muscle confusion.

It means the rep might be a bench, squat or deadlift.

Does working out at different times of the day count as muscle confusion?

Is pins and needles in your fingers normal after deadlifts

Not even heavy, just over 1pl8

which fingers? if ring and little finger it might be ulnar nerve impingement

I'm 6'1, 190lb at the moment and around 18%bf. Is my LBM high enough to not look like a complete skelly if I cut down to say 7%? Want to get leaner but it seems pointless if I can't even get to the fight club look.

It's pretty much impossible for us to say with so little information. Assuming you have enough muscle mass now to not look like a skelly the biggest thing is going to be maintaining it on a cut.