I can't do a normal squat and I have no idea why...

I can't do a normal squat and I have no idea why. Every time I bend my hips down and start getting close to the "sitting" position, my heels lift up and my chest then begins to lean forward. Any idea why this happens and how I can fix it?
6'1" is my height if that accounts into anything.
Any advice would be wonderful and thank you for listening to such a noob question.
Have a pleasant day/night Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo
youtube.com/watch?v=58dkMblR9RM
youtube.com/watch?v=IE7nALXgXz0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You're not a limber lad

spread legs out more

do a lot of bodyweight squats and stretching/mobility work before squats n oats

imagine bruce lee hitting mike tyson

oh wait he's dead

Squat more

I had the same problem. I started to do bodyweight squats almost everyday and now I can squat until parallel.

You lack mobility in you ankles, fix that and he heels will stay on the ground.

It's either this or hamstrings mobility. I would go with hamstrings mobility.

Basically your hamstrings are not flexible enough to hold a neutral spine through all the squat and when you try to bend them more than they can, the back bends in order to go deeper.

watch this video in detail, i don't quite remember if he adresses the mobility problem directly or sends you to another video, but it's super useful nonetheless:
youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo

nvm found it: the section you are interested in starts at 18:15, and what i THINK (without even seeing you, so watch the whole section from 18:15 and decide youself) your problem is starts around 22:25

I am not. Any tips ?
I'll try that out, thank you.
Any routines for stretching/mobility to help with squats?
Let's say he isn't and imagine how that would turn out.
How do I squat more if I can't squat in the first place?
Any tips on bodyweight squats for beginners ? I've been trying to do them but get the same result of not being able to do a successful squat.
Any tips on gaining mobility in my ankles like a stretching/mobility routine ?

post more tyson webs if you have

In the video i put in more or less at 18:15 Alan shares some ankle mobility routines, try them

Get lifting shoes, adipowers or similar. And work on your mobility as suggested.

>Let's say he isn't and imagine how that would turn out.

Fuck you. Prime Tyson would easily kill Bruce Lee, no contest.

This:
youtube.com/watch?v=58dkMblR9RM

Check this out too, reversing the problem to get a stretch, you can apply this to any muscle group.
youtube.com/watch?v=IE7nALXgXz0

Just finished seeing the first video you posted and its very informative and educational in how to perform a proper squat and what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it. Thank you for all the different resources. Definitely going to check the other videos out. Thank you immensely.
I only have that one webm, I grabbed it today from another post.
Definitely going to look into something similar and I'm definitely going to work on my mobility. Thank you for the helpful advice.
Perhaps in a normal boxing round but Bruce Lee has any other martial arts under his belt. I have no clue who would win but it is an intriguing idea.

Something often overlooked when working on mobility for the squat is the thoracic spine area (i.e. upper back). I would even go so far as to say that's almost more important than hamstrings.
So yeah,
>t-spine
>hamstrings
>ankles
are the most important areas to mobilize for squatting.

And about Tyson vs. Lee, Tyson would win easily.
Just look at todays MMA. The worst nightmare is to fight against a trained boxer. Doesn't matter how many martial arts you know, he'll just knock you out.

Before you squat spend a few minutes stretching hamstrings and calves

Worked for me (tm)

no...its not. that's the dream fambo. no defense against knees, kicks, or takedowns

Not him but here's one

if bruce lee was 2-3 inches taller and put on 70lbs of mass on, and it was an MMA fight. maybe...

otherwise tyson punches a hole in his chest

You could argue the same about a trained martial artists. A trained martial artists could just be even more nimble than Tyson and just do what Tyson does, evading punches. However, strictly speaking about an all out brawl, I'd say Lee would have an advantage with kicks, knees and takedowns, just like what they said

Gonna paraphrase rip because his advice saved me. Not having the mobility for a squat is extremely rare. More often it is a form issue if someone cannot hit parallel. Try this: stand with heels at shoulder width, toes out at 30 degrees even if this is uncomfortable. Bend knees and push them forwards AND OUT until they are over toes. Now without moving the knees, and still holding them apart, sit back until you hit parallel, then stand up by driving the hips up. Don't think about fighting to stay upright with a vertical torso, this is wrong. You can and will bend over. Just keep your lower back and and tight while you do.

ah well.
I have only limited knowledge of martial arts, all I remember is reading/hearing somewhere that boxers usually dominate in MMA fights

My guesses would be

a. poor ankle mobility
b. tight hamstrings
b. weak posterior chain

Do leg presses for the first, stretch for the second and deadlifts for the third. You might also just have shit form, though there's really no way to guess what might be wrong in that case. Try recording yourself squatting and post it here, anons are usually happy to give a form check

I can't squat because of my scoliosis shit sucks.

I had/have this issue. What I did was video myself and look at my form. I was simply pitching too far forward, to the point that it was half squat, half good morning. I was breaking TOO much at the hips when I started to go down. Now I focus more on keeping upright (or at least, more upright than I was).

Keep telling yourself that. Of course you can squat dude.

No, I mean I used to squat for over 10 years but I had to stop because I was having back spasms at work and had trouble event standing up straight. I had to give up deadlifts too. Getting strong is great and all but I'm not endangering my general health just to have bigger numbers on fitness spreadsheets.

Did he dodge all those hits? It looks like those two uppercuts got him

Your mobility is shit.

Try doing some goblet prying squats with dumbells/kettlebells.

Problem is Bruce lee couldn't physically take Tyson down because of the size difference. With no threat of a take down Tyson is free to out box Lee. Lee's only chance would be to win on points or get a lucky knockout.