- Requires a significant level of cardio endurance
- Requires mastery of its highly technical and demanding lifts
- Is entertaining to watch and perform

Powerlifting

- Requires little to no athletic ability, minimal explosive power
- Requires no cardio endurance
- Even beginners have mastery of the very easy, untechnical lifts
- Is incredibly stagnant and redundant to watch and perform

Basically Olympic Weightlifters are actual athletes and Powerlifters are fat bloated whales with no athletic ability.

don't forget powerlifters are fat cheaters who cheat form. it's basically animal rape.

Tell us something we don't already know

>who cheat form
Do you think that oly weightlifters squat deep because of better leg development? What if I tell you that they squat deep to cheat in pulling and catching bar?

Powerlifting is just ego lifting

literally using the bro lifts and trying to lift them as heavy as possible

And we all remember the old days of the press in competition.

That's the nature of the beast. As soon as you've got rules for competition, part of the game becomes figuring out how to best game them. That happened in powerlifting, it happened with the Olympic lifts repeatedly, it even happened in Strongman and Strongman barely has any rules.

Oly doesn't require cardio, senpai.

Except for that, yeah.

It does tho because of the volume of training to perfect the movements

OH N-NNOOOO BUT MUH K-K-KLOK OFF!!!

Freestyle Wrestling:

- Requires athletic ability and explosive power
- Requires mastery of its highly technical and demanding movements

Olympic Weightlifting

- Even beginners have mastery of the very easy, untechnical movements

But they do sets of 2 reps, otherwise their form will break down because the lifts are too technical.
Volume doesn't mean not enough rest between sets or breathing hard.

Fast pace walking:

- Requires athletic ability and explosive power
- Requires mastery of its highly technical and demanding movements

Marathon running:

- Even beginners have mastery of the very easy, untechnical movements

Still nothing compared to this shit.

>BECAUSE I THINK SO!!!!!!!

>minimal explosive power
the most 'explosive' people are always the best powerlifters, the genes that make you good at being explosive carry over to pretty much all sports
>requires no cardio endurance
true, but the same applies to WL
>even beginners have mastery of the very easy, untechnical lifts
Kek, 99% of /plg/ has shit form, never mind the rest of Veeky Forums. But yes WL movements are infinitely more technical
>Is incredibly stagnant and redundant to watch and perform
How subjective, I prefer watching the heaviest weight the human body can move, no matter in which manner, to any other kind of strength test

>mad powerfatty

whatever you might say, nothing in Oly lifting is as bad as the 3 inch roms in powerlifting

I'm gonna take the bait, hard.

WL:
>- Requires a significant level of cardio endurance
Compared to what? Both powerlifters and weightlifters use high volume work depending on their needs and cycles. There are very few studies made on CV endurance in powerlifting and weightlifting. In fact both sports use cardio in their training regimen. You are grasping straws. Do you even into physiology?

PL:
>- Even beginners have mastery of the very easy, untechnical lifts
I don't even know how to respond to this. Powerlifting is completely different to WL in many aspects. However, as with any (especially heavily internationalised and highly competitive) sport, a certain level of sport specific technique is required to perform.
>- Is incredibly stagnant and redundant to watch and perform
Subjective and therefore invalid. Tell that to the millions of powerlifters and how big the scene is.

I am a weightlifter myself but people like you just give weightlifting a bad rep

>implying that doesn't take years to master
>implying that bench press isn't technically hard to master
>implying repping 150kg as a 66kg lifter, regardless of ROM, is easy
>implying you're not all jelly
>implying he can't outbench you without an arch
>implying his WILKS using only his squat is higher than your total
KEKKEKEKEK

Also, powerlifting sucks

Olympic weightlifters use powerlifting movements in training, powerlifter's don't use oly lifting movements. Checkmate!

who gives a shit

Powerlifting is the sport of cheating the ROM on Weightlifting accessory movements.
Checkmate.

>Powerlifting is the sport of cheating the ROM on Weightlifting accessory movements.
You can't prove this

>- Is entertaining to watch and perform
Delusional
Perform maybe but watch, no.

Reminder

>i don't know anything about training, the post

yep

look at a power lifting lift and tell me that he isnt telling the truth lol

>- Requires a significant level of cardio endurance

It's the complete opposite. They put specificity into training fast twitch muscle fibers. Spending time and energy into training slow twitch muscle fibers is a waste.

I get what you were trying to do bro but... eh

Except this is a shitty attempt at a rebuttal and is blatantly false.

I don't think you understand what power/explosiveness is. Power is defined as work done over time, and work is defined as force exerted over a distance. Moving 200kg 7 feet+ in the same time it would take a powerlifter to bench the same amount of weight requires WAAAAY more power to accomplish. Powerlifters are strong, not powerful. That doesn't detract from their accomplishments, they just have nowhere near the explosiveness of an Olympic weightlifter.

Well, no.

Deadlift --> clean / snatch pull
Low bar squat --> Front squat / high bar squat
Bench press --> OHP / jerk / push press

For some reason, oly lifting looks more interesting in this pic than powerlifting.

>I don't think you understand what power/explosiveness is.
I don't think you understand his post. read it again.

>they just have nowhere near the explosiveness of an Olympic weightlifter.
this is true if you're talking about elite oly lifters because only very explosive people can become elite oly lifters. it's not true in general because explosiveness is mostly genetic and not something developed by the sport. so if you're talking about people from the general population doing either of these sports you can't make the claim that the oly lifter is more explosive than the powerlifter because that's determined by his genetics, not the sport he practices.

>you can't make the claim that the oly lifter is more explosive than the powerlifter

Well you can't increase the amount of your fast muscle fibers, but you can increase the amount of them being used at the same time. And that's how you become more explosive, teaching the body to use more fast muscle fibers at the same time.

Guess which sport does that better?

>Well you can't increase the amount of your fast muscle fibers, but you can increase the amount of them being used at the same time. And that's how you become more explosive, teaching the body to use more fast muscle fibers at the same time.
no, you cannot do this to any large degree. there is no training that would take a guy with a 20" vertical jump to a 40" vertical jump. you're born with a certain degree of explosiveness and it can only be marginally improved. you get better at oly lifting primarily by becoming stronger, but technique obviously plays a role as well.

what your saying would be true if explosiveness was something you could improve significantly through training, but the reality is that the good oly lifters were explosive already and that's why the succeeded in the sport

yeah
a freakshow seems more interesting than just a bunch of jacked dudes

Yeah i know that, but in sports even that marginal improvement plays a huge role, which is really more than a marginal improvement

Its also different to fire those muscle fibers under a heavy load, and when your fast muscle fibers increase in size, they are able to do that

So back to lifting, me lifting 200kg deadlift in 1second compared to someone lifting it in 4seconds makes me more powerful. An olympic lifter with the same vertical as a powerlifter, but with a faster explosiveness under a heavy weight - which do you call more powerful in this case?

Oly accidents are more spectacular for sure

can you post something that isn't a fact please.

>Tian Tao and Lu xiaojun both squat 20-40kg over the IPF world record hide bar without a belt and no suit ass to grass

case closed

True but they roid, are selected for their explosiveness and proportions, dedicate their life to lifting since childhood.

>implying powerlifters don't roid
>it doesn't count if you actually train

Is completing SS before transitioning to an oly routine a good idea?

I haven't lifted weights since high school, and even then I never received formal training. I have a local gym ran by an well known ex-bodybuilder, with a "powerlifting room", and he has legit personal trainers who can teach me correct form on the standard compound lifts. Is it a good idea to familiarize myself with something more fundamental like SS, before learning the more technical lifts used in olympic lifting, or should I say fuck it and just find someone to teach me those?

Weightlifting requires no more cardiovascular endurance than powerlifting.

Don't olympic guys train at a much higher volume and essentially develop better cardiovascular health as a result?