Anyone here ever visited a shrink? I will soon, and I don't know what to expect. I'm kinda stressed about it

Anyone here ever visited a shrink? I will soon, and I don't know what to expect. I'm kinda stressed about it

bump..nobody here?

This doesn't seem all that fitness related but don't worry about it.

ya n i fucked her she was hot 2

what's a shrink? some kind of manlet magic?

You'll beat around the bush and they will know youre beating around the bush but they wont address your beating around the bush because they dont know how because nobody knows how because this isnt good will hunting and it will basically be a circle jerk where you pretend progress is made (to each other) to avoid the elephant in the room, being it is a total waste of time and money and the can't do their job and you're still fucked up.

they are there to help u, user.
i was very skittish about doing so too, back when i was younger, but dont sweat it. they're not gonna twist your arm by any means.

i went downhill for a while but picked myself up too, still progressing through self-actualization

you can do it; it's not bad, and there is nothing wrong or shameful about it.

Jesus dude..
I spent years making great progress with a therapist after my dad fucked me up for years.
Do it OP, if you can afford it, its a genuinely helpful environment and as long as the shrink if experienced they will help you make changes

Well, I live in a country with free medical care, so I wont be paying atleast.

And yeah, I'm afraid they will just prescribe me meds (which I'm not gonna take, because those fuck up your gains), and not help me at all actually

A good therapist will confront and challenge you when they think it's the appropriate tool to pick.

Listen, honest to god advice coming at you. You don't want to be on SSRIs, they will make you so apathetic youll wish you were dead anyway (and you might quit lifting, believe it). Wellbutrin is the brand name Buproprion which they might consider... it kind of goes hand in hand with lifting but you cant drink on it.

Ask em about wellbutrin and dont take ssris. If you have more questions ill answer them.

Well, I don't want to take any kind of meds.

I saw one a few times as a teenager after my suicide attempt. They're someone to talk to and try to help you with whatever it is you need help with, dont feel stressed out about it these people have spent like 12 years at uni to get there so theres nothing they havent heard.

then why would you go to a script writer

Mom made me go when I was young. Dude will direct conversation first will probably just be "what do you like to do" sort of ice breaker stuff

I remember one time shrink was like "'my wife plays second life, she enjoys to escape reality once in a while, is that why you play world of Warcraft?"
"No it's just fun"

>mfw americans will literally take meds for anything

to vent?

I just want someone to tell him my problems, instead of blogging here.

But what you said is probably the most accurate thing, doctors are just script writers

this happens only if you have a bad psychologist.

i've had some of the most honest, brutal conversations at psychiatric care, and some of the most important moments of my life. they really are there to help you OP, don't stress out.

Wellbutrin is so kickass that I need to take mood stabilizers and to counter it.

But get yourself whatever help you need and just exercise harder if that's what it takes.

If you dont want medication tell them that and they will work around it. (in Australia at least)

yeah ive recently started stacking butrin with ephedrine and had 2 doctors and a pharmacist just about shit over it. apparently you run a huge risk of seizures and leaving humanity behind through cutting gainz

shrinks are bullshit. you already know what your problems are and what you should do about them, might as well talk to a fucking mirror and gather the willpower to solve your problems

Took SSRIs. You're right. The break from the depression was OK at first but when I realized how apathetic I was about shit I stopped.

Idk. I've been to one for a few weeks now. But I just tried to kill myself
>tfw only typing with my right hand

No fucking way. I've been onthe stuff for years but never worked out until last month. Fuck my reasonable DYEL goals, in gonna go for full blown vampire-killing Pillar Men mode.

I chuckled.

If you have real depression and anxiety they don't work.

I went to one for a year and it did nothing

Seriously though buddy, as much as Im all for bringing out that inner animal, stacking those two is a fuckin trip. If you drink a redbull while on like 450mg butrin, 50mg ephedrine your vision might instantly just start blurring. You can also go 24 hours without eating and not even notice. Proceed with caution dude.

Check that. I'm only on the butrin (and some antispychotics and mood stabilizers). Ephedrine is rather hard to get ahold of around here but caffeine is nice enough for me.

I'd rephrase that for the OP.

It won't cure a chemical imbalance but it can be very helpful for working out issues in your life.

Yes. See on the surface to the average person it would seem like I'd have depression and anxiety because my life is shit. But my life being shit is caused by depression and anxiety. And going in circles trying to figure out "why I'm depressed" just made me 100x worse.

That made me feel better. Thank you
I mean I did slit my wrists. They took me to the hospital and everything

>which I'm not gonna take, because those fuck up your gains
Is that true?
I was thinking of going to the psychiatrist again because depression is beating a little too hard again

pls dont spread misinformation

SSRI's can cause apathy in people with mild, short term depression. They're incredibly helpful with severe or chronic/long-term depression.

I literally couldn't go a day without fantasizing about killing myself in twenty different ways before I started taking SSRIs. They didn't magically save my life, but they let my brain focus on things other than how much I wanted to die so I could actually be productive. Once you can actually go out and enjoy the sun instead of wondering if a fall off the nearby cliff would kill you, it's a lot easier to start getting your life in order.

I saw a counselor for a while. I didn't find her to be particularly helpful personally, but she had a very condescending attitude where it felt like she was always picking sides whenever I would tell her things (it was my side, but she kinda loses her position as a neutral authority in my mind when she acted the way she did). I've had other friends who have had much better experience, and I'd say it's all about finding somebody who you're comfortable talking to.

If you do go, think of what you want to talk about in advance. I'd honestly recommend writing down certain things you want to address. Otherwise you're going to be caught off-guard when you sit down and you're asked, "So what's bothering you?" and you'll probably have a hard time getting it out properly.

In the end, just try to be comfortable. Your therapist won't judge you, and a lot of the session is going to be you talking while they listen. They'll ask questions and prompt you to get what they need to know, and their job is to help you feel comfortable. If something's on your mind, don't hold back - say it.