Workouts for athletes

Taking a gap year between high school and college. Been playing some rec football, and finding that I'm a pretty good WR. My advantages are:
>Height (6'4)
>Speed (clocked my 40 today at 4.8), but my best speed is when I get going, Feel like it could be a lot faster with more explosive training. I know it's rec, but I still haven't met any DB who I couldn't burn.
>Hands
>Can throw the ball far
>Can jump high(forearm 3/4 of the way over a basketball rim when jumping without the ball
Disadvantages:
>Weight(only 170, recovering skelly)
>strength(still can't bench 2pl8, at 80 kilo 1rm, and 70 for 3 by 8)

The sticky doesn't cover much in terms of lifting for athletes, I'm trying to get stronger faster, don't care much about looking bigger.

Any fitizens here ex athletes who might be able to give solid advice on how to become very strong very quickly?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sKcWeG4Ctts
youtube.com/watch?v=xQ-WsZlk3vk
youtube.com/watch?v=qSyE2E0Dvno
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>recovering skelly

How'd you do it fampai?

I too have good perfs, but can't gain fat due to shit appetite.

eating 5000-8000 calories a day, and working out. I usually do some kind of a brosplit I guess, but I'm not the most experienced lifter by any means, been doing it for 9 months now. It's hard when your metabolism is working against you, but there's really no way around it. Eating tasty food and learning how to cook will help.

also, my bf percentage has stayed the same since I started gaining, went from 135-170 in the past 9 months, so I figure I must be doing the eating part right, but my lifts are progressing painfully slowly.

Bulk hard combine that with speed agility training
If you can get to 200 lbs and can run a 4.5 you'll be a beast
Squats and deads are also essential to becoming a better football player good luck f.a.m
t. Former football player

If I can hit 200 and improve my explosive speed, Im seriously considering trying to walk onto a college football team since I love the sport. Backup plan is ultimate frisbee, but I don't have the same love for that game that I do for football.

what kind of power do you think is needed at WR to be able to really play college ball?

Not him but I would say explosiveness. Working them legs is key.

You really need to work your speed. Do direct sprint training, squats, and power clean or snatch.

Deadlift with a trap bar is fine for athletics.

I was still running a sub 5.0 at 6' 240 by comparison...

>6'
>240
Damn, that's fucking built. I still look like a white version of Randy Moss in college, but I'd never have his speed.

my speed has been improving since I started lifting. I also ran distance before I stopped doing that, back then my mile was sub 5, but my sprint was terrible, like 5.4 40. I was also not done growing then though. I think realistically I could train down to a 4.5, but my biggest problem would be taking a big hit since I never actually played high school football. I've taken a few since I started doing rec league, and it jars me less now that I weigh more, but my worst fear is having something like this happen to me, but I need to be heavier to be able to better guard my bones I think.
youtube.com/watch?v=sKcWeG4Ctts

I do sprint training, squats are on leg and shoulder day, but Ive never done power cleans, what does that help the most with?

Power is kind of important but at the WR position I would say finesse speed and agility are far more important. Since OP is 6'4 getting above dbs obviously won't be a problem but if you want to be good at a WR I would focus entirely on speed and footwork. A good starting point to be a competitive collegiate WR would be like at 200 lb bw and to squat 5 plates for reps. You should also switch to a strength routine if you haven't already and incorporate foot and speed work on rest days

OP here, my max Squat right now is only about 2.5 plate for reps, 3 plate max. Realistically if I train for strength, would a 5 plate squat for reps be forseeable in 1 to 2 years?

Depending on your position a lot of d1 schools post workouts for their position athletes online. But I would definitely look towards explosive workouts like squats and power cleans. Also find a good sprint and plyometric workout.

To add to this. If you're in school ask your coaches. Trust me, I know a lot of coaches and the high school level ones are just begging for kids to ask them advice on how to get better. Most will even workout with you.

first I figure I need to make strength and then focus on strength and bodyweight. If I'm 200 lbs but weak, I won't like how I move. If Im 190, and make the strength requirements, Ill move faster and jump higher, which I like a lot.

4.8s isn't that fast desu but could be improved with conditioning.

Never played highschool ball cause my mom was a pediatrician and was too worried about me getting hurt since i was skelly as fuck, but now that I got heavier I can take a hit to some degree, but I have had a few wallops where it took me a few seconds to get my bearings back.

Since I used to run distance my explosive power isnt what it could be, so my 40 isn't the greatest. When I burn guys, it's usually after I get going, they can stick with me for a 15 yard pass, but anywhere past 25, Im gone. I would assume this would be a lot more difficult against college level DBs, but I have to start somewhere.

Ah. Just noticed it said rec in the op. Squats, Bench, Cleans, Sprints, Plyos. When you do cleans make sure someone that knows what they're doing is around to show you how to get started if you don't already know how. Plus look up wr training exercises. (also add accessories, don't just go in and do bench and then leave)

youtube.com/watch?v=xQ-WsZlk3vk

youtube.com/watch?v=qSyE2E0Dvno
I've been looking at stuff like this to see what moves work where, and been doing some WR training excercises. Im just trying to get heavier and stronger as fast as I can so I might have a legit shot of walking onto a college team. I figure with my height and jumping, I could get somewhere if I can get my speed and explosive power up.

With consistency, diet, and proper sleep maybe. I would say hop on the roids because you won't get tested until you actually are playing but that's just me

nah, I want any gains to be staying gains, not the kind that would go if I get off of roids.

Teams literally post up player routines on the internet
You have Google at your fingertips stop being lazy

At 6'4, just start eating and become a tight end or defensive end. Maintain your speed and get into contact with their stength coach fot a routine to follow. Get up to about 220 and they'll put you on a team for college if it's a smaller D1A or D1AA school. For places like Bama or tOSU, they'd probably want you at 240ish at least unless you're fast as all hell.

Like I said it could be improved. As other anons have said, work on your explosiveness.

Power cleans, box jumps, work on your first 5-10 yard sprints.

Explode out of WR stance.

Also if you weigh 170 at 6'4 (>implying you left skelly mode)

Bulk up.