Martial Arts?

Anyone here into martial arts? I've been thinking about taking up martial arts, primarily I'm thinking about either training boxing or MMA. Anyone have experience?

I've been weight training for a few years and have accomplished a 405 squat, 300lb bench, 500lb deadlift, but powerlifting doesn't seem to me, I keep getting injured (currently have been for the past five weeks almost) and I want to try something else. I'm thinking about doing a martial art, while still weight training, but making it not my number one goal. Plus it could be a great way to do cardio because I can't motivate myself to fucking be on a treadmill or bike for an hour, and I get to learn how to fight and improve my body.

What martial art should I do? Which ones do you do? Do you like them?

Other urls found in this thread:

teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/membership/athletes/find-a-club
youtube.com/watch?v=8orCCk4xWJM
youtube.com/watch?v=Ftfa1jzfg6k
youtube.com/watch?v=E61jnJe_1SI
youtube.com/watch?v=VYl2KCdFNgo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Jiu Jitsu is fun and will get you rolling right away

Boxing and wrestling have great conditioning

Muay Thai is usually good but hard to say

Beware of shitty boxing/kickboxing gyms that are more "fitness" oriented

Everything else is probably going to be fake

That's why I'm thinking about boxing, because it requires you to be extremely fit. And I'm looking to lose fat but also learn how to fight, and I think that would be an awesome way to do it.

Bump.

/asp/ approved styles
> full contact karate (kyokushin, seidokaikan, enshin , etc), boxing, muay thai, wrestling, bjj, sambo, judo, kudo/daido-juku, savate, any folk wrestling, mma and kickboxing

Bullshit styles
> systema, krab magoo, aikido, 2dedly4sparring krotty (shotokan, chidokan, etc), most japanese jujutsu, all non-japanese jujutsu, everything korean, everything chinese, any rbsd (reality based self-defense)

Training quite regularly for over 4 yrs; years back I was quite active in several movement activities, esp. dance and swimming.
Got involved in breathwork over 30yrs back and never looked back, which lead me, oddly or was it, into martial arts.
Being a senior I do NOT involve myself with any active fighting. Yet, have a understanding of many principles behind Asian ma.
Just jump in and do it. You'll learn.
Peace

Injury rates in martial arts are going to be much higher than weightlifting. And boxing teaches you to box, not to fight. And unless you're cool with being a scrub, you don't box to get fit, you get fit so you can box.

Hapkido?
Also, why is ALL rbsd bullshit?
I'm guessing things like "when you think a nigga has a knife behind his back, put your hands between both of you" are good things to keep in mind.

I'm not particularly experienced, just two years of HS wrestling, but I can say for sure that if you want intensity and a LOTTA conditioning, wrestling is great. I've heard boxing is similar.

how does a 23+ year old just jump into wrestling? When you're not in HS or college?

I do muay thai 3-5 times a week, and I absolutely love it. There's something so satisfying knowing you can seriously fuck a guy up with your elbows

>
Training methodology of rbsd might have some relevancy, depending on the quality of instructor. But its not a good place to form the foundation of hand to hand combat. Punching, kicking, takedowns and submissions, these are things you need to know how to do and defend if you want to be as proficient as possible, and the best places to do that are in the most efficient styles dedicated to each of those: boxing, mt, bjj, wrestling, and so on.

After you build a good base in that, then I think its best to apply the other things you want to incorporate (awareness training, simulating multiple combatants, defending against knife/gun, etc.). Otherwise, you end up with shit fundamentals.

teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/membership/athletes/find-a-club
Check this out

>senior division

OP Here

How long have you been doing it? I'm pretty strong but I'm kinda overweight, but underneath my fat I have a lot of muscle. I just want to get really good conditioning work that won't bore me to death, that's why I hate doing cardio, because it's boring as fuck, but if I have something to really train for it would motivate me.

Should I do Boxing or MMA?

Makes sense.

Rbsd bullshit doesn't train with resistance and doesn't teach technique. It's a scam preying on those with existing victim complexes.

A little over 3 years. It's great. Tiring as hell, but definitely not boring like other cardio. The weight will fly off without you even trying. As for what you should do, if muay thai doesn't tickly your fancy I'd choose MMA. it'll make you more well rounded than boxing will, plus your strength will actually play a bigger advantage with the ground game

Whichever is cheaper/closer/has a better coach

Have you ever done grappling?
If not, try a BJJ lesson. You're either gonna want more, or not.
If you care more about self-defense than sport, do MMA.
If you just want some fun conditioning with the added benefit of self-defense, Bjj or boxing, depending on wether you prefer striking or grappling.

I'm feeling it. My area is supposed to have a good boxing gym near by. But I would be interested in Muay Thai. I doubt I have that around here. A BJJ group isn't too far away from me, but I loved Karate growing up. So I wanna hit pads instead of rolling.

I've been somewhat interested in BJJ, it looks pretty interesting, if I had all the time and money I would learn BJJ and MMA, but such is life with our limitations, but I'm leaning more towards MMA because it's a bit more well rounded.

Most MMA gyms offer muay thai classes as well

I took hapkido as a kid. It had some knife defense stuff, but that was for the brown belts who were training for black belt. But the sensei I had was very inspiring and taught us discipline and work ethic. He even said 90% of fights end up on the ground, he was a school principle and witnessed fights all the time. Used to punish us with knuckle pushups and hit us with wooden sticks. I was never punished cause I obeyed all the time haha. He also introduced us to ground movement. It was very early. Most of what we did was break falls kicks and sparring. The ground stuff was interesting though, like crab walks and round house kicks while on the ground(probably wouldn't work, but in hindsight, would be awesome conditioning for getting stronger, basically was like a bodyweight exercise.) We were too weak and too young for it. I earned a blue belt. Almost ready for a green but I injured myself and my family moved away soon after.

I just like BJJ more because of all the rolling/sparing. I've tried MMA and it's cool, also more practical.

woops, was meant for

I did a free muay thai class recently and got a nasty blister on my toe after a 1hr session. I liked the class but injury seems likely i will just continue lifting weights thank you

I know Joe Rogan is a meme, but when I saw him doing those pad kicks, I kinda got a thirst to do some martial arts.

fuuuuark, i am gonna do it

If you care more about self-defense you should be moving or, failing that, doing parkour

Which martial art is best to do if I just want to be able to fuck a dude up with my bare hands if I need to?

Boxing + bjj

Fencing didn't teach me shit. The only way it would be effective is if someone else had a sword and was willing to stay in a straight line.

It was so fun to stab people and it was great explosive cardio, but I feel like I should have put the time into a more functional fighting style.

metal tube or baseball bat.

>everything chinese,

San Shou and Shuai Jiao are legit

boxing is great for street fighting, even if your opponent is a better grappler it's not ufc where they will receive months notice that they are fighting a boxer and that it's not a good idea to trade blows with him, few good punches by surprise bare knuckle and you can drop almost anyone.

If you keep getting injured you might want to stay away from judo and wrestling if you value your knees

>bullshit style: all non-japanes jujutsu
>/asp/ approved style: bjj
nigga

Just finishing up my month n a half stay at tiger muay thai in thailand. Had my first amature fight n won. Weights are fun, but when you squat 500 pounds and so e 120 pound thai guy beats the hell outa you, you start to get it

Really wanna try boxing but there are only kickboxing and judo gyms. Went to a kickbox tryout but it was more conditioning oriented then technique.

Thinking about going to some tryouts out of ny area to get the basics and try to train myself.

>Approved; Kickboxing, savate

Art thou high?

You seem like a big guy. Boxing + judo if you want to put those muscles to good use. MMA, bjj and muay thai guys tend to be pretty lean, top level high weight-class judoka are fucking bears

>Tfw all the boxing gyms have gone out of business because trendy mcshitdojos look prettier
At least there's a few good muay thai and judo places left. Boxing gyms are always the first to go, fucking sucks

Judo is no good if you want to stay lean?
I'm trying to decide between the two, but Gracies seem like a buncha cunts, honestly.

Most boxing gyms are also predominately white. Don't get me wrong but a kickbox gym with only turks is the worst.

I did boxing, kickboxing, and judo.
FUCK ALL THOSE THINGS
MEDIEVAL MARTIAL ARTS
HEY TAKE THIS HEAVY ASS SWORD AND HIT THAT MOTHERFUCKER OVER THERE
Buy really medieval martial arts is fun a fuck

muay thai and bjj

Sanda, muay thai, boxe or savate

i want to get into martial arts but i dont really give a shit about all the dress and belt stuff

is there any art besides boxing that does that?

Thaiboxing, mma, grappling

it's weird. i agree with you and call bullshit one some of the things you are saying at the same time.

OP, just try out what floats your boat.
MMA, BJJ, Boxing, Wrestling and Muay Thai are a good starting point.
Full-Contact-Karate like Kyokushin is good if you like a more traditional approach.

if you want to learn to actually fight i can recommend some other styles, too.
The whole FMA-Complex for example.
Or even Krav Maga. It's basically a very simple form of traditional Karate, but the way these guys train with a good teacher is quite interesting.

If you are into a more traditional approach you could go with something like Goju-Ryu or one of the X-Kans (Bujinkan and so on), but the quality of the training there is heavily depending on the quality of the teacher. General rule: The less flashy, the better.

i dont understand why everyone gives krav maga shit. I know theres a lot of bullshit teachers who wants to sell it as anti-rapist for women etc
but the real art is good. Focus on groin attack and eye gouging, none of that karate elegance shit

because you don't actually use any of the stuff with actual non-compliant opponents. it's pointless. you do set routines just like krotty.

This.
Cheaper, closer, more convenient for your schedule of work and family, etc.

Any good workouts with only a 45lbs plate brehs

you did never actually fight in an non-gym environment, didn't ya?

Krab magoo is alot about taking advantage of the bodys absolute weaknesses etc. What other matrial art tells you to kick someone in the nuts? What would be most effective if you get jumped by a pack of dudes, wrestle around with one guy and get him in a triangle och kick him in the balls and run?

The most effective thing would be running.

Just running.

basically every traditional martial art.
look at karate, for example. before it was "sportified" it was a hands-on approach to survive in a combat situation.
same goes with jiu-jitsu, many kung fu-styles and so on.

but you are right. that's the way to do it.
once saw an mma guy fighting on the street. perfect takedown on one guy, the other one hit him with a bottle, blood errywhere.
that's what these nufighters don't get: their gym and even the ring or octagon is not real life.

no. the most effective thing is glockjutsu.

>boxing
>white
You've never been to California

I'd rather train with mexicans than turks and morrocans.

As would any sane human

Why is Jiu jitsu bullshit?

They're effective self promoters, and they're far from the first, and they definitely won't be the last. Japan wasn't full of zen masters doing this shit, anyone who thinks Musashi and Funakoshi got to where they were without doing a good job of spinning is kidding themselves.

this

Gyms in the NE are full of dominicans puerto ricans and blacks, some whites sprinkled in.

BJJ = Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is on the approved list because it emphasizes techniques that work on resisting opponents and sparring to teach you how to apply them to someone who is trying to stop you.

Traditional Japanese jujutsu styles generally don't focus on that, but rather codifying the original techniques into drills or forms. There isn't a lot to verify whether or not a given thing is effective. In BJJ, if a technique or defense is taught improperly, it will generally show up in sparring or competition when that person loses.

Traditional Japanese jujutsu

Yo ive been doing some kicks now for like a year or so. But when i kick high in front of me (but to the side) with my left leg i get snapping pain in my hipflexor. Whats going on ???

i get this too, like a clicking/snapping pain when i push my hip through in front kick/front knee (nak muay here)

warmup better.

Do 50 hip circles each leg, counter and clock wise.

Start doing lunges or simple bodyweight squats, it should fix it.

Your hip flexors are too strong compared to your glutes.

Can't say anything for sure before examining you or seeing your routine, but plenty ppl have tight flexors, having strong and tight flexors is not good unless glutes are kept in proportion in strength. (they dont have to be equally strong, just the natural ratio needs to be maintained.)

Beware, you could possibly have a sports hernia (micro tear).
The muscles in the groin and all around the leg socket respond by tightening up and trying to stabilize themselves so the tear can be fixed.
Do you have any other signs?
General soreness around the inside of the leg or front near the groin? Shouldn't be painful, but would be noticeable.

Yea you know i probobly have to weak glutes it would make sense.

Well after i've snapped it I rest for like a week and then i do mobility work until it feels alright and then i sanp it all over again when i go to hard ;_;

>Bullshit styles
> systema

This nigger has never been taught by a legit instructor. Legit schools are full contact, no pads or gloves

1)rest for 2 weeks, eat well, protein to rebuild, minerals etc. Do some light strolls to keep the blood flowing, dont sit behind pc all day, not good for balance of the muscles.

2)Week two - could use some bike rides, slow and chilled 5km at most

3) When you go back to training- do 50 circles on each leg, in each direction, slow and steady. Same for knees. Ya I know it gets boring but it makes a lot of a difference.

4)DONT do leg kicks for first week of training

5) ALWAYS warm up with slow and steady bodyweight squats, one of the best exercises for knees and hips health - do 50 reps every training but only AFTER doing hip circles.

PS: You should warm up with jumping rope, its better than running since less hip flexor movement if you do it properly.

So - warmup skip rope in intervals of 2 minutes, with pauses of 10 seconds
- hip and knee circles, and other joints, but these should be done very religiously
- 50 bodyweight squats (can do 100 after first few training sessions, if you train every other day).
- proceed with training session but dont do legs for 1st week.

THIS ADVICE APPLIES ONLY if you had NO swelling and redness with sharp pain.

REMEMBER TO STRETCH AFTER WORKOUT SLOW NO YANKING!

As you proceed you will have to increase squats in increments of 25 over several weeks. As you get stronger. Dont rush it.

SEE A REHABILITATION DOCTOR IF CONTINUES.

yeah, but you don't need to take a class specifically to kick someone in the balls, you do muay thai and learn how to kick and knee people accurately and powerfully and then knee them in the groin, and you take judo so you can dominate them in the clinch and bjj to choke them. it's not exactly rocket science fighting dirty. if you're used to fighting someone who is hitting back and evading you you are going to be in a far better position in a real fight than if you do set routines with people that are complying, end of. non-sport tested ma's are utter trash that don't prepare you for fighting real opponents at all.

imagine it, you kick/knee someone in the groin weakly - then what? groin kicks aren't always going to end a fight. a boxer knocks your teeth out, or a judoka smashes your head on the pavement and you can't do shit because all you've done is fucking meme dancing with a combat theme.

Yo thanks dude will do

i'd like to see you to saying that to an "utter trash"-fighter while he's holding a knife.
your sport has nothing to do with reality.
but that's a common symptom of the modern, western world – people like you are the nu-males of fighting.
no idea what they are blabbering about, never fought for their life, but splurting their bullshit all over online forums.
i'll tell you something: the only things you learn in one of your "sport tested" martial arts are how to hit someone, a little bit of pacing and how another body reacts to the actions of your body.
the rest is sport.
actual fighting is about why more, and that's why these reality based systems exist.
it's about how you train.
a real fight has nothing to do with your bullshit, the greatest challenge is a psychological one.
and you have to train for that. you have to train in narrow surroundings, while it is dark, lights are flashing, the ground is slippery, there is stress, there are people all around you, there's blood which is kinda as slippery as soap and burns in your eyes, there's a huge amount of fear to overcome...
that's what these systems try to prepare people for. and they succeed, if there is a good teacher.
god, how many of you "muh MMA"-apes have i seen who shit their pants the first time somebody came at them with a fucking RUBBER KNIFE like it would happen in a real confrontation.
nothing against your sport, it's great and i like to train in a gym sometimes, but shove your unfounded opinion about real combat up your probably bleached asshole.

the most effective technique is the one you have trained while sparring in a live environment with a non-compliant opponent.

fuck off, krav maga is glorified katas.

>muh real fighters and street wisdom

Kimbo got rekt by mma guy with pink hair and probably bleached fun zone.

:^)

do not start with mma,you will get utterly fucked up
get really comfortable with a striking and a wrestling martial art. you can move to mma then

juju gyms make you run and do handstands and summersaults for 20-30 minutes so hard youll puke before each workout

its 20% fitness 80% technique

>talking about combat
>mentioning kimbo

that's what i mean when i talk about nu males of fighting.

If you're doing bag work, why put on the pussy pad gloves? Why even tape?

>t-to protect my hands!

How about focusing on taking accurate, technically sound punches while you're practicing on not another person? Then when you get to put the crutch gloves on, you're that much more accurate.

>fighter while he's holding a knife.
id use my superior conditioning to run the fuck away, instead of getting stabbed like a krav maga or TMA practitioner would, or trying to run away and failing because your meme dancing doesn't make you in good physical shape.

>a real fight has nothing to do with your bullshit, the greatest challenge is a psychological one.
yeah cos dancing around doing set routines on people who stand still and aren't trying to hurt you in anyway is really good psychological preparation - instead of, you know, actually fucking fighting people, getting hit hard and hitting back.

>le deadly eye gouging and groin kicking!
anyone can fucking do that shit, as i said before learning real martial arts where you actually fight people will teach you how to be in a better position to do that shit. you think a boxer is incapable of punching someone in the balls? a bjj practitioner incapable of biting someone's hand or gouging someone's eyes?

sport fighting won't prepare you 100% for a street fight. but having a moving, hitting, grappling opponent who is trying to hurt you makes it a million times better than any shitty "self defence system" that is to le deadly to practice irl. krav maga sucks. systema is even worse. unless you actually hurt people and get hurt you are wasting your time.

youtube.com/watch?v=8orCCk4xWJM

dude, you don't even seem that retarded. maybe you'll understand what i'm saying one day.

>yeah cos dancing around doing set routines on people who stand still and aren't trying to hurt you in anyway is really good psychological preparation
you never actually witnessed a stress training, didn't you?
i don't bother to answer the rest.

that video is hilarious.
here is a video about how MMA-people (to use the same generalization you seem to like) perceive knife fighting:
youtube.com/watch?v=Ftfa1jzfg6k

and here is a video with some beginner information on how it actually works.
from one of these "utter trash"-people, btw:
youtube.com/watch?v=E61jnJe_1SI

i've probably already been doing martial arts when your parents where fucking (yes, i'm old) and believe me, there's more to fighting than you understand right now.
i might give you one thing:
in a real fighting situation, a trained sports fighter will likely perform better than an untrained normie. but he will perform worse than the thug who knows that he has to use that knife like a sewing machine.
i'm outta here, gonna have a drink.
enjoy your evening!

Hey a Martial Arts thread that didn't get completely de-railed!
>Hur dur trained fighters know nothing about real fights Hur dur, they'll get Merced by a thug

This meme can end anytime now though. Someone who is a trained fighter will absolutely destroy a normie with no rules. But "Muh Knife defense" Martial Arts or not 9/10 someone comes at you with a knife, they're already close to you because anyone with a brain is running. Even if you successfully defend a knife attack, YOU WILL be stabbed or cut.

seconded. if you train martial arts your reflexes will be better, you'll be faster, and you'll likely panic less/not at all, which will all help with redirecting the knife but in all probability you'll get a cut out of it. If you see it coming however you can defend with a good distance-creating kick and gtfo

BJJ is derived from Judo, Brazilian Judo just doesn't sound as good

>A thread that hasn't been derailed!
>Tries to derail thread

Reminder that taking krav maga without having experience in an actually effective martial art is like jumping straight anything oly lifting when you've never lifted a weight in your life.

did you actually bother to watch my second video?
ah, and about seeing it coming and distance by the way: you don't see a knife if you're not looking for it. sat at a bus stop with a friend one day and got surrounded by some arabs. they were looking for trouble, good thing he knew one of their brothers. because afterwards we realized that some of them already had knifes in their hands while approaching.
here is a nice video about distance patterns regarding confrontations involving a knife. interesting watch, maybe:
youtube.com/watch?v=VYl2KCdFNgo

and before somebody asks:
no, i'm not doing fma. i like the adaptive movement patterns tho.

If you want to exercise and stay in shape, do martial arts. If you want to learn how to fight, go downtown and pick a fight with someone.

PS: please. never, ever kick in the general direction of someone who pulled a knife against you. throw you purse at him and run, use a chair or anything to put something in between him and you and run, but never ever try to kick him while still standing. when you're already on the ground it might be necessary, but don't do it while standing. ok?
i'm serious here, for once.

ok, i'm outta here, enjoy your evening, lads!

I miss pre-wrassling /asp/

you didn't post any videos breh, but no didn't watch any videos itt.

I don't carry a purse, I'm a guy. Also, why not front push kick? I mean I guess they could catch it if they're really fast, but I doubt they will with a knife in hand. If you have access to a char or a bottle or an ashtray no shit, use that. But if you're just on the street, and the guy already has some acceleration towards you, you can't outrun them. You have to create distance. Which even if I don't see or expect a knife is what I would do with my somewhat limited ma experience.

i did. here:
first thing they're gonna do is stab your leg. because what are you doing if someone kicks you? you try catch the leg. what will happen if you have a knife in your hands? you see, it is all about movement patterns.
had a knife in my leg once, one of these huge military monsters, missed the femoral by half an inch.

really gotta go, maybe i'll be in one of these threads again. bye!

Youtubers like fighttips make me sad knowing that he's giving people false confidence that they can easily disarm a knife wielding coke addict or that bullshit video every "online fight coach" has where you grab a barrel of a gun to jam it. It's almost as sad as when crossfitters do boxing work

Daily reminder to get your CCW Lads. Knife doesn't have shit against a full-clip.
>inb4 Blaha
I've only had to draw once and it was on a Dog.

Yeah 99% of people who do this will be dying/dead before they realized that they fucked up.

I like all of his other stuff though. MMA, muai thai, boxing, BJJ, and unarmed videos are pretty good.

Well ya, learning a trick or two never hurts but I'm just talking about people casually teaching moves that the best of the best should avoid doing. Can't wait for some poor fucker grabbing a revolver to try and jam it because he watched a five minute youtube video