Can you do the Barkley Marathon?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barkley_Marathons

This is one bad bitch of a race

Other urls found in this thread:

nomeatathlete.com/4-minute-mile-certainty/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pussies

I'd be willing to bet that no one on Veeky Forums could finish Western States under the cutoff, let alone this fucking insanity.

No, because I'm not a distance runner. I'm a boxer so I need to have too much muscle to be a marathon runnner

Obviously I cannot. Looks like it would be fun to hike one loop though.

>can i fuck up my body to convince myself i have a purpose in life

All distance runners have mental issues.

That's not too far from me. I'm adding this to my goals board.

It's called testicles Bruh. The ancestors you had who strained to forge new paths, explored wilderness, and tamed new lands think you are soft as baby shit.

>he thinks boxers dont need extreme levels of cardio

I've also watched this documentary on Netflix "The Berkley Marathon(s?)" if anyone wants to watch it.

Seems like an amazing self challenge and I'm more of a runner than a lifter myself, but I don't think I could ever complete it (5 laps) and I know with that attitude that's not way to ever do it, but a "fun run" (3 laps) seems like something I could do in my life.

Ultimately I'm not sure how I feel about straight running for literally days with no sleep and minimal food due to other health concerns (Why I don't think it would EVER be possible for me to do it). So I don't know if I would try it. I just hit up the Bruce Trail (Canadian) for a similar less dying sort of experience lol.

ps maybe literally 1 guy on fit could do it (fit frowns upon skinny run fags naturally so there isn't gonna be a lot of them) and more that could do a fun run. But this race is more like .. super marathon type shit and ultimately while I think cardio is neglected on this board I think this type of marathon is going too far the other end of the fitness spectrum where you are like skinny Kenyan to do this shit.

Extreme as in being able to run 10k one day and do HIIT on the next, not run 20 fucking miles

If they're so great, how come they're dead?

Nate Diaz was training for an ultramarathon when he accepted the Mcgregor fight.

That delusion. Have you ever seen a fucking distance runner or cyclist fucking retard, theyre all extremely low test. High test is exclusively sprinters and short distance swimmers.

It's the reward for a life well lived.

Living forever would be hell. The gods envy our mortality.

Jesus fucking Christ

I disagree. There is so much I want to do and experience, many of them cannot be done in a single lifetime.

Have you literally taken in your meme buzzwords until you think it's actually describing physical structures and reality? Holy fuck. Take a break from the internet.

fyi to 'complete' it. It's 100 fucking miles which is why it's retarded ( here) You are literally running for like 55+hrs with a 20~ish minute break every lap to eat

Good for him, but I'd say that's pretty extreme, he must just like running a lot.

Maintaining mass and running 40 miles would be hard as shit if you couldn't afford mountains of food, I'm sure most non-champion boxers don't run that much.

Are you seriously suggesting that living your life carefully avoiding all exertion that doesn't carefully coddle the muscle mass you have because of your undescended testicles is somehow worth admitting to or bragging about?

It is actually 130 miles if you watch the documentary. Plus they start on a lack of sleep. They also make their own map. They also run underneath of a prison that is still in use.

It wouldn't be desirable if you had forever to do it. Just like lifting wouldn't be any fun if you just had straight infinite gains, forever . A bee can still drown in honey. Giving someone an infinite amount of time to do something just ensures they have forever to put it off.

That's even worse for a boxer to complete. Say goodbye to like two fuckig years of gains.

I guess if your whole shtick is outboxing because of a shitty punch you could do it

So youre too stupid to notice from people's appearance if theyre high test or low test. For fuck sake, the difference between sprinters and marathon runners is fucking huge. Marathon runners are weak, sickly, sprinters are strong and vigorous.

>its shameful not to fuck up your body until it reaches its limit

Like I said, deep mental issues

Same. I just tried to convince my brother to travel up there to spectate. Do they attach go-pro to the runners and broadcast?

I don't lift to reach a specific goal and finish. The journey is already infinite, I only get to experience a small, small part of it. Imagine I study mathematics for my whole life, lets say 80s years of improving my understanding and pushing the boundaries of that field. It would be a life well lived, but imagine I could spend another 80 years studying and improving, and then another and another. I would never reach the end, I would only gain perspective forever.

Of course I am an ape, I would be incomprehensible to everyone around me after a hundred years, I would only become more and more out of touch with everyone else. Eventually I'd be insane, but who knows where to draw that line. A strong mind may be able to live with 10 lifetimes of memories, but would everyone else think he was insane? Who cares anyway?

Here again I just wanted to discuss a bit more because I kinda trashed the idea but I actually think highly of it to some degree, lemme explain.

Citing this as my source:
nomeatathlete.com/4-minute-mile-certainty/

Basically for a while the 4 minute mile was considered impossible and that no one could do it. Eventually a guy does it and then another and another etc and domino effect of people being inspired and also the effect of knowing something is possible cause someone else did it making it easier for you to do it as well.

So this is how I kinda look at the Berkley Marathon too. Something that was considered impossible at first and just ridiculous, but by setting such a high standard / achievement it encouraged people to push themselves more than ever, eventually someone completes it and then more and more etc, exact same effect. By the end of the docu it really reminded me of the 4 minute mile. I really like how it's existence encourages people to try (and thus succeed) at things other wise considered impossible.

Because you aren't old yet. Just like any pursuit, your view of life, if you don't cling to it like a desperate coward in your twilight years, loses some of the gloss over time and by the end you can look back at what you have acheived and let go. Those that look back and need more time weren't going to achieve those goals anyways. Or, you know, they ended up street pizza.

Perhaps. Hopefully with medical technology advancing the way it is we will be able to study the psychology of the very very old. I imagine their psychology now is heavily affected by the slow but perpetual onset of diseases like alzheimer's and all the other factors that contribute to senility.

The way I see it, someone claiming to want immortality has already made the cardinal sin of hubris. I'm not sure that "immortality" is graspable as a concept. There will be a heat death of the universe. What concept are you attaching to it that isn't just a watered down version of "maybe an extra lifetime or so to pursue X"

Immortality is a much different concept. I agree with R. Morgan in Altered Carbon, I think it would take a true sociopath to want more than 2 go rounds.

Unless maybe, like the Shatterlings.

I did watch it just didn't remember exact numbers so I went off image you posted

For reals, though, read House of Suns.

Nobody on Veeky Forums can do this.

I watched a documentary on it, dude it looks fucking BRUTAL. People get through the first lap alright, but they are used to running over 26 miles. Those who finish the second lap look like someone just beat them with brick. I worked as an EMT for a few years, and these people literally look as if they're going into shock. And there's still three 26 mile laps to go.

I like running and hiking long distances, and I've always had a very high tolerance for suffering outdoors (even among my fellow hiking, climbing, skiing, bushwacking friends), but Jeeeezus what the fuck.

Same way I feel most people who excel at lifting and bodybuilding have latent psychological issues, it takes a certain kind of insanity to even attempt the Barkley.