Bouldering&rock climbing

Hey there guy's first time making a thread but i wanna start getting fit again and im looking at bouldering looking for tips and training regiments/diets i might need to help get me started anything is appreciated

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/How-Rock-Climb/dp/0762755342
youtu.be/58m_BpbL6_Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

idk
didnt read your post
read the sticky i guess

SS+GOMAD

so you want us to google the shit for you?

wouldnt worry much about a diet for climbing, you dont want to bulk or get to heavy, just eat well and enough.

But great choice, climbing is sick, great for fitness and extremely addictive. I stopped going to the gym and just climb now, no looking back.

Any tips on starting exercises i heard hang board push ups pull ups and weights are good for starting mixed with yoga for hard climbs

i wouldnt do any hangboard for awhile unless you're really bored. Any exercise will help, do as you wish, but just climb as much as you can and learn technique more then anything.

Are you going outdoor mostly? or do you have a bouldering indoor gym to use? if so just grind in the gym during the week and get outdoors whener you can.

Bouldering in the city always seems to attract the gayest beta males. The type who have beards but have never spent the night outdoors, or the type who have more skincare products than a teenage girl

i live in the city and have a bouldering gym right near me so i can hit it pretty often i would like to hit some places outdoors pretty soon as its heating up and i can find good spot's

Don't hangboard unless you have what, year and a half to at least two years of actual climbing under your belt? The best thing for a beginner is to actually climb, makes no sense to train for it. You need technique and feel, learn drop knees and back stepping, how to place your feet correctly on holds, not slapping your feet against the wall like a noob, how to flag correctly. Once you get past a fundamental level you can supplement a bit of working out if you want, but it will not help your climbing. Dean potter used to just climb and do yoga, same with Sonnie trotter. Trotter is a 5.14 climber and fit as a mother fucker. Go back to climbers like John Long and you will see more actual weight lifting, but that was just Long, he truly could have done without it.
If you want to get better at climbing, just climb. If you want to look better while still climbing the same, then supplement aesthetic based weight training, if you want to be more flexible while climbing the same grade then do yoga every week. It's as simple as that, take your pick bud. I was a barbell devotee up until I started climbing, that took over and I went straight into all things climbing related, now I do yoga six days a week while I let a finger injury heal....giving my opinion since I've experienced all the shit you're asking about

OP here i know what you mean and i've definitely seen the type i live in portland and its around every corner

amazon.com/How-Rock-Climb/dp/0762755342

Speaking of John long, also get this book...this is the shit that will help you...not hangboard's or push-ups

Climbing is the best training for climbing. Lifting will not make you a better climber. However off training especially push up and push up plus is recommend or you may fuck your shoulders up.
No strict diet is recommend, however getting you body weight down is very beneficial obviously.
Go easy on the small holds for a couple for years or you will fuck your finger tendons up. Do not worry tho, if your route setters aren't complete dimwits there will be plenty of hard routes with decent holds available.
Also try to get of the gym and climb on real rock, vastly different experience.

yo nigga you go to PSU?

youtu.be/58m_BpbL6_Q
One more for ya' brah

Lifting will make you a better climber, but novice climbers should focus on climbing and learning proper technique rather than training. I've been climbing for at least a decade now and all of my plateaus have been broken with proper application of resistance training. Not even just for performance benefits, but for injury prevention. Climbing is a hard sport on your body and resistance training builds the kind of resilience that climbing cannot build because climbing does not apply easily graded stimulus.

Naw but i live near it other side of the bridges

sup portlandfags. let's jerk off about how cool and hip portland is together. i-84 is the worst amirite gaisz hahahahah

You climbing at The Circuit? Depending where you're at skill-wise I could probably give you some pointers on training and technique.

living in portland has honestly made me more conservative than i used to be

Yeah actually im gonna start going pretty soon the northeast location to be exact

True, but like you indicated resistance training for climbing is very specific and should not be worried about by a beginner. Resistance training for injury prevention is a major factor tho, that is why i mentioned it.
Been climbing 8 years now, mostly bouldering.

Yes I know that's what you said; just clarifying because unfortunately current climbing culture frowns upon weight training. My background is in strength and conditioning/ sports science and it pains me when people suggest weight training has no place in climbing. But yes, beginners should focus on proper technique first of all, including a proper warmup.

Are you coming from a lifting background, some other sport, or mostly sedentary? Have you done any climbing before or are you just starting now? Current height and weight?

wouldn't bodyweight workouts be great for this sort of hobby? Gymnastic training gives you strong joints and makes you flexible as fuck. Rings and ropes work your grip, and you'll probably stay leaner/lighter than if you chose to lift weights

I just think it's getting older and more mature. when I was young I was liberal as fuck in pretty much every way, but as I've gotten older I'm a lot more moderate/conservative when it comes to economic cases, but still liberal when it comes to social issues -- born/raised in Portland and all

No lifting background mostly did bike riding cardio stuff not much rock climbing background but climbing in general im 6,0 and about 167

I heard of a pro climber who does alot of ring workouts on a gymnastics set up actually

It is definitely noticeable if someone has a gymnastic background when they pick up climbing. Body awareness, body tension, flexibility, joint stability, coordination, all major factors in climbing. Dancers usually do very well too for the same reasons.
Lifters more often than not suck when they start rock climbing, which is were the negative view of lifting comes from. They are usually too heavy, stiff, have troubles picking up new complex movements and get frustrated easily if they cannot power through a problem.

You have the right build. As a beginner at your height and weight, serious lifting probably isn't all that necessary. For overall injury prevention and avoiding common imbalances, I always suggest deadlifts, pushups/dips, reverse curls, rear delt/scapular retraction exercises with cables or bands, and some kind of static core work like planks.

I'm the same height and the most important thing for you starting out will probably be flexibility (for high foot placements, drop knees, etc) and core tension (so that you can take advantage of your reach without losing your footing all the time).

I climb at all the circuit gyms regularly and work front desk on weekends. Maybe I'll see you there, man.

Which circuit do you work at?

All three. Most employees work at multiple gyms. I'm the masterace one who isn't a manlet and looks like he lifts occasionally.

NE is a solid gym and the place where I first started climbing. Don't spend all your time on vert/mild overhang. Try to work a variety of wall angles and hold types. It's very easy to find one thing you're good at and avoid all other styles, but you'll only get stronger by working on the stuff that you suck at.

Alright thanks for the information whats your name although i assume i can pick you out of a crowd if your the only non manlet

No names on Veeky Forums. I'm your height, but about 35lbs heavier. All other non-manlets are full-skeletons except for one dude who is about 6'3"/185. I shouldn't be too hard to spot.

You really wanna get those forearm's and fingers strong for climbing. Try doing pullups on a bar using just your fingers(no thumbs). Instead of going all the way to the top stop at a 90degree angle then "walk" side to side along the bar using your arms and staying as stable as possible. Gets those lats, forearm's, and fingers prepared for rock climbing better than anything else iv tried.

Boulderer (?) here can also attest to this fag shit, living in Colorado. Trendy fags come from out of the woodwork to climb with piss poor quality and put pictures on Instagram. Also OP train that grip, back, forearms, and shoulders primarily. But we all know climbing is the best training for actual climbing, boiii