Increasing pullups

Veeky Forums, whats the best way to increase my pull-up count?

Pull-ups are the first exercise on my back/bi day, so I crank them out two days a week. I started doing 5x5 when I could do about 7 deadhangs, and every subsequent workout I would add an extra set. Then when I hit 10 sets, id reset to 5 sets but add an extra rep - for instance, today I pulled 9x7, and next I will do 10x7, and then back to 5x8. Is this retarded programming?

Other urls found in this thread:

strongfirst.com/the-fighter-pullup-program-revisited/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do more pullups

That's the most retarded thing I ever saw, desu.

Just Do 3x5 weighted Pullups for strenght, 3x8 hard rows for explosive Power and then 3x10 weighted Chin ups for Bicep and Hypertrophy

>I go from doing 70 reps to doing 40 reps
>Is this retarded programming?

check out the Fighter Pull-up routine by Pavel

This took me from 6 reps to 10 reps:
strongfirst.com/the-fighter-pullup-program-revisited/

never realized he was cross-eyed. unless that's shopped

he's not cross eyed, he's just so disgusted so often that one eye went wonky

>using an accessory exercise as a main exercise
>using number of reps solely as a measure of progress
>not using weights at all
>is this retarded programming
no user, this is straight up grade A 10/10 programming

why do I have a strong feeling these aren't even legit pull ups and at best they're kipping?

that's a nice cardio program.

Do weighted pullups and progress them like a normal lift.

>pullups are an accessory
>the body is weightless

how retarded are you user?

Start doing them everyday.

OP here, glad to see you guys tearing my programming to shreds (not sarcastic, I value feedback). My thought process was to work up to the upper threshold of volume that I could handle, and then drop the total volume while increasing reps per set so that I would have a few workouts to recover and then build up to an even greater total volume. Kind of a continuous two steps forward, one step back until I hit 10x10, at which point I would start adding weight.

All British people are.

that's retarded. Just do 3x5 (and work up to 5x5 if you want) and start with weights. At 10x10 you're just doing cardio.

>"at 10x10 youre just doing cardio"
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I don't agree. If your max number of pull-ups is between 12-15, a set of 10 isnt like its a cakewalk – its a few reps short of failure. If you can bench 225 for 5, benching 185 for 10 is still going to be difficult.

if you're at the point where you can do ten sets of ten, your max shouldn't be 12-15. That's a show of endurance, not strength. The benching analogy doesn't work. If you can do 3-5x5 pullups with 50lbs strapped to you, I would find it very hard to believe you can't do 10x10

>what is GVT

If you just wanna go the BARSTARZZZZZZ/MUH BODYWEIGHT type of route, then programming for high volume isn't necessarily a bad idea. Though you should add in some of the harder pullup variations at strength reps to help break through plateaus.

If you're going for a decent combo of strength/size, then I'd do something similar to what this guy suggested Personally, I train for bouldering/sport climbing and stick to weighted pullups/chinups at strength reps (5x3-5).

Programming is always goal-dependent.