How old is too old to get into a martial art?

How old is too old to get into a martial art?

>20 and feel like I'd never be good at it cause I didn't start at age 12 fighting in the streets of Rio or some shit

Other urls found in this thread:

dyske.com/paper/897
mma.tv/mma/62-year-old-man-has-mma-fight-with-much-younger-opponent/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You probably won't be able to compete unless you're a natural talent.

But you can be a beast compared to the average man.

You're proabably not going to be a UFC fighter, but eh it could happen if you go into some high-class mma gym. Luke Rockhold started at 18 I think and he's the middleweight champion.

If you don't care about that 20 is a perfectly good time.

just have fun. most kids in thailand who start at 8 do anything to get out of it by 20.

Nice, thanks, I just hate the idea of being average. Nothing wrong with it, just my ego.

martial arts will help with that ego, go get rekt by a little kid

or hallucinogens

Get on it brah. I got into boxing two years ago at age 19. Not the dojo type shit learning forms and that nonsense. Actually learning techniques and spending a ton of time sparring one on one with a great teacher. Trial by fire. I may never be as good at the kids who started at age 13 and consistently whip my ass, but I'll be damned if some retard in the street ever fucks with me. That's a happy medium I can live with.

You should always ask yourself "Will I enjoy this?" and never "Will I be good at it?"

You need to read this article on giving up your ego to enjoy life more. It literally changed my life and I wish I had read it when I was your age rather than 8 years later.

dyske.com/paper/897

Start with Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. Spending a few months tapping out repeatedly will give you an enormous confidence boost; not just because you're getting better at tapping people out, but also because hey, you've already tapped a bunch of times. What else is there to lose?

Best of luck man

op i do taekwondo and a guy that teaches our kickboxing class sometimes he started training when he was about 24 his name is Taylor Solomon and he worked really hard and went on to have several fights in Belator (an organization that is a bit smaller than UFC) he lost a couple fights but he knocked the one motherfucker out cold! hes been all around the world for tournaments (mainly judo) the one tournament had over 50 people in it and he came 3rd! crazy right?
OP you will do good if you just try.

look him up

Bull. Shit. It's not like the only competition available is the top 10 of the UFC. People way older than OP get into martial arts and compete at a good amateur level, and in many promotions that aren't as widely known as the UFC.

OP. If you want to start martial arts and like the idea of competing, do it. Do it because you enjoy it, and don't take the attitude of "hurr durr if I can't get into the UFC there's no point". This wll hinder your development when you could actually turn out to be a good martial artist. I know at least Brad Picket in the UFC started training MMA at 25 just to keep him fit for semi-pro football (or soccer, whatever you call it).

do it for a few months and you will be better than the average person at fighting

ya bro JDS didnt start til he was 24 and he went on to win the heavyweight title

it's never too late to start

do something practical, like boxing/muy thai/bjj/wrestling

the advantage of being trained over someone not trained is huge. doesn't mean you will automatically win fights but it certainly gives you confidence

Exactly. Just enjoy the experience OP.

Was a very interesting read, saved. Thanks

>tfw most BJJ gyms near me are 150 a month fee

Not to late to get pretty good OP

Not so much now, but in the earlier days of UFC (like brock lesnar days) there were loads of people who were like failed college football players or other athletic guys who took up MMA at like 21-22

They were never the champs or anything, but they were able to reach a very high level

Brazilian fighters are a meme.

Gunnar Nelson, future champ

Lol get lost. Gunni is not going to beat the top guys at WW.

just start with some easy stuff
get like books on tae kwon do & kickboxing & some on conditioning for it, then try to find a local dojo

they train you from white belt up & if you show promise I think some will let you test up early

only problem is they get expensive. i had to stop because i had to pay for college and car, so i never got past brown belt
i'm probably more lethal now, though, because i took to the bruce lee school of thought & i take dirty fucking shots

I fucking love Gunnar Nelson, but I feel he either needs to expand his game a little (which in fairness, he is doing) or consider fighting at 155 (and since he is an outspoken advocate against cutting weight, that won't happen)

Hey mate don't be discouraged.. You have matureness on your side. I started muay thai at 22 and had first fight 3 months later. I'm now 25 and have had 17 fights. I won my first by a fluke KO and lost my next 5 haha. I'm now 11-6. Love it. Age is just a state of mind

Damn fighting after 3 months. Did you have prior combat sports experience? How often did you spar at your gym?

You'll be fine as long as it's not a meme/mcdojo/bullshit style

That's pretty normal for bjj. Just hit up some judo. You'll be looking at 50 a month tops for a generally more practical style

Op is 20 me am 35 should I start?
Always wanted to get involved with marital arts never did.
Was thinking bjj sambo or shit am to old for this?

Well I was at a top 5 muay thai gym in Australia.. They found me fights against equal guys for the most part. I went 5 days a week Saturday was pure sparing day. A normal class was, warm up. Pad for 20 doing different combos then 20 minutes swopping opponents every 2 playing 'keep away' aka don't get hit or do 10 push ups. Then last 30-60 minutes was rotation sparring with 3 minute rounds at 70% but pulled head kicks. So short answer is alot.

What gym? I trained at VT-1 briefly. They've got a few guys in UFC.

Go for it grandpa

Formerly known as iron fist gym. Now I flat between Brisbane muay thai (iron fist guys without the bells) and visit boonchu for jwp. I just do pure muay thai.. I wish I had the time to get obsessed with bjj but just don't have the time to get into mma seriously

>How old is too old to get into a martial art?
never too old

it takes 4-6 years to build basic bone density for serious fighting, so starting early is better, but unless you have a time machine just start now.

What?

What's a good martial art for self defense?

what what?

In order:
>don't live in a shithole jutsu
>don't be a cunt fu
>parkour
>gun kata
>boxing/mt + bjj/judo/wrestling

Bjj is great against a single attacker because you can take them on the ground and sub them.. Not so good v 2 since the guy you don't grab will likely kick you while your trying to snap an arm. Muay thai is always nice because you'll have confidence in your hands/elbow/knee/kicks to get out of trouble...so both.

Saying shit like that is why new people don't start... The only positive many years has on your body is for your shins... Other then that your bones don't change lol

Kickboxing or Judo.

Kick boxing is self explanatory, teaches you go hit people effectively.

Judo teaches you throws. It's a bit impractical but if you're in a street fight and you throw someone onto concrete...there's not a hope they're getting back up.

Except it's not impractical like, at all.

what does Jason Bourne use? Krav MAGA? That any good?

No. It's commando LARP that exists to scam the goyim.

Here's a 62 year old Alaskan Madman who decided one day, "Fuck it, Im'a be a MMA fighter". You might be surprised how the fight turns out. You've got 42 years on this guy, so I'd say you're good to go.

mma.tv/mma/62-year-old-man-has-mma-fight-with-much-younger-opponent/

You don't learn grappling so you can take the other guy down. That would be retarded. You learn grappling so you can get up.

Awesome. Kind of reminds me of former heroin addict Anthony Bourdaine who took up BJJ at the age of 58.

That sounds fucking awesome man. I'm gonna suggest something like that to one of my coaches. I only spar about 10 rounds a week, wish we did not desu

>oooooooo I'm a boxer. Then you don't take them down?

Seriously? Anyone can get lucky with a punch.. ANYONE. You can't fluke a submission. So yes, yes you do take them down.

Bullshit. I started BJJ 3 weeks after i turn 19 and got my brown belt by the time i was 23.
I'm 26 now and regularly compete in comps in my city and whoop about 4 out of 5 competitors in my city, and i aint even that big 5'10, 83 kg lean. Most people who do martial arts are skinnyfat anyways (cept muay thai, in which they are usually shredded manlet )

if you have strength gained from lifting and a good muscular body that can take the hits you'll go far very quickly

Never too late, 20 is still super early

Yeah mate we'll we also have alot of females here and the early classes are mixed.. Its just got a nice all-round feel. Aslong as everyone keeps the tempo down and you pull the kicks a bit so no injuries. Just be prepared to get your shit kicked in by some small guy.

Our pre req for fighters or those wanting to was about 20 hours of sparring and get 8.6 beep test after a training session then you'd have about 4-6 weeks before a fight to come up with plans etc

Anthony Bourdain is like 60 and just got his blue belt or something

I'll just leave this here