At what point are you overtraining?

I've read the sticky, and now want to start the SS routine, or the 5x5.

However 3 sets of 5 reps for Squat, Bench, and Deadlift takes like, less than 30 minutes to do, don't it? Is it bad to keep exercising after this point? Is it detrimental and turns into overtraining by doing pushups or sit ups after? Or isolation work?

It won't take less than thirty minutes once you're handling any actual weight.

>However 3 sets of 5 reps for Squat, Bench, and Deadlift takes like, less than 30 minutes to do, don't it?

is this guy serious lol. jesus christ how about you go do them and see how long it takes.

How stupid are you OP? SS calls for 5 minute rest periods between sets. Let's learn some counting ok?

If you have 3 lifts and do 3 sets each, then you have 2 rest periods for each lift... if each rest period is 5 minutes, how many minutes will that take? Hint: 2x3x5 = 30 minutes!

Eventually, you will require at least a few minutes rest between each set. Also, there will be a few warm-up sets before you work set. Your first few sessions will be short, but will quickly start to take longer.

No, there's no problem with doing some push-ups or isolation work. Nobody stalled their deadlift by doing a few sets of curls or calf raises.

for heavy weights, you need a few minutes between sets.

Most idiots don't lift heavy enough. Each set is basically to failure.

>tfw he falls for the SL 5x5 meme

Additional exercises are great, AFTER you do your main lifts. As long as you don't injure yourself (i.e. with shit form) there's nothing wrong with throwing some isolations in there.

i used to take 3 hours, 3 times a week to work out, doing full body
would that constitute overtraining?

Maybe. Maybe not.

There's no set amount of work that counts as overtraining. Its a longterm thing that's dependent on your training and your recovery.

Thanks guys.... Sorta. I'll lift heavier and rest longer and poop bigger

Do ICF you idiot. You will thank me after running it for 8 months.

>ICF
do you happen to conveniently have the routine around there in image or text form?

I started doing Fierce 5 cuz 5x5 was too short but when i first started ICF was too much

Considering actual pros train like 2 hours a day on steroids and tons of calories and lots of rest, it's easy if you actually exert a lot of effort and do heavy loads with medium-high reps.

You on the other hand are a fucking faggot that literally does not even lift.

>dat pic
>benching 3 plaet
>deadlifting 1 plate
>squatting 2 plate

>Thanks guys.... Sorta. I'll lift heavier and rest longer and poop bigger
One thing you should consider is that if you are just sitting around for no good reason after 3+ minutes; you are both wasting time and not lifting heavy enough. You don't simply wait five minutes because some fatass Texan said so. You wait five minutes because you can't do the next set without five minutes of rest.

If you CAN do the next set with less than 3-5 minutes of rest, then you're not lifting heavy enough.

The big caveat to this is that when you first start out, you will not be lifting at or near max capacity. You will start out lifting at a weight lower than you can because:
A) your actual working max is such a hugely varying target at super beginner level that it's useless to try to pin it down (by the time you do, it's already moved up).
B) You need to focus on setting good form habits, which means less than max.

>If you CAN do the next set with less than 3-5 minutes of rest, then you're not lifting heavy enough.

wtf, it depends, sometimes less than 2 mins is enough

On a squat/bench/deadlift?

You sure you're pushing yourself hard enough (assuming you're past super noob stage)?

If you are not on a linear program that could very well be true. At some stages of more complex programs, not only is it possible, but it may be required to do shorter rest periods during certain phases.

It's only 30 minutes when you start out, once the weights add up they're gonna be much tougher.

just go to the gym and lift heavy weight until your body can't everyday.

You can't overtrain. Because you aren't hardcore.

you the kinda nigga that walks into the gym and if he doesn't have a workout schedule he does like 3 exercises and says "thats enough think I'll go get a burger now"

The best programs start out easy, so you get the confidence to stick to them. They get tougher very gradually and then you start seeing results and have the motivation to stick to it when it gets longer and harder.

Keep going brah

>just go to the gym and lift heavy weight until your body can't everyday.
>You can't overtrain. Because you aren't hardcore.
>you the kinda nigga that walks into the gym and if he doesn't have a workout schedule he does like 3 exercises and says "thats enough think I'll go get a burger now"

how's p90x going?

Is ICF on par with Coolcicada PPL?

Read the trap sticky at the routine general
It explains progression and warmups

/thread

im doing a routine similar to SL from "aworkoutroutine" if you'e familiar. I'm interested in ICF but i think ill do the beginner one for a few months cause ICF seems very high volume to start with.

even after my first lift today im very fatigued and i did
squat 5x5
chin ups 3x5
OHP 5x5
barbell curl 1x8
AB planks 2xf

>all those meme excersises

lol id like to know what you think isnt a meme exerecise, im a noob, but i have 6-8 months of prior lifting experience split between two seperate times, and i hit a 225 squat for working sets so you cant trick me famalam. might not be much but i started with the bar!

o shit waddup

First you have to differentiate between being overtrained, which is a physiological condition that's a bit like having the flu, and something few people will ever experience. Normally only happens to elite athletes who've completely run themselves into the ground for a long time.

Then there's the act of overtraining, which means that the amount of work you're doing exceeds your individual capacity to recover, leading to worse results than you'd have seen if you'd done less work. Overtraining in this manner isn't always a matter of doing too much - Oftentimes it's a matter of doing too little to recover. Overtraining and "under-recovering" are basically the same thing.
Only if you're already taking measures to maximize your recovery, can you talk about actually training too much. And even then, it's not like doing x is fine and doing y is "overtraining". It's more like a continuum. Doing 300% more work may only get you 150% more results, but it's still not necessarily overtraining even if you're doing more than needed in order to make progress.
When you hit the point where you're doing so much work that progress start getting worse or stops completely AND you're doing what you can to make sure your recovery is on point, then you can talk about overtraining. If done deliberately, it's called "overreaching", which can make sense to do as long as it's followed by a deload that allows supercompensation to kick in.

Every exercise you do in the gym has a cost/benefit ratio. Nothing is free in terms of recovery. The easy exercises are cheap but also don't do much to disrupt homeostasis (because they're easy) and so won't force much of an adaptation/supercompensation. The tough exercises are the opposite - They're very effective at kickstarting the adaptation process, but also quite expensive recovery-wise, so you can't do too much of them. This is part of the reason why work is divided into main and auxiliary exercises.

this