Starting lifting at 29

What should I expect?

Will I gain as fast as a 20 y/o?

Am I too old to start?

yes you are too old please leave

:(

You won't do as well as someone younger, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't try the same things. Do SS, followed by texas method… pay attention to your recovery and you'll improve.

I started at 28. Been gaining fine. Honestly being older has given me much more drive than I would have had at 21 to be consistent.

dont listen to this idiot

>hurr too old to make gains

he's probably 18 and autistic

30 yo reporting in. Started at 28. Bigger and stronger than vast majority of 20yo fags

Hey! Do you want to come out and play the game? It's never too late!

Your gains will be slower than the average 20 year old, but that should by no means stop you. I know plenty of guys who started at around 30 and they made it all right.
You should maybe focus a little more on diet, especially the cutting part of the cycle, and don't expect amazing gains to start rolling in right away.
But if you keep at it, be patient and have the right amount of willpower, then yeah, you'll be fine. Everyone can build muscle.

All world class people have been lifting weights since they were 12 and now some of them are 28-30 years old. You can't replicate puberty, your body changed so much during that time. The key to lifting a lot of weight is lifting something a few days a week for years. Don't let that deter you though

I'm 32 and I'm still making good gains. However I've been lifting since 14, so I have a lot of experience and I know what works for me.

you will have a higher base strength than the average 20 y/o, assuming you aren't an auschwitz survivor. ignore the baiting faggots, you're 28 not 48.

28 here. 3 months in and just hit 3plate deadlift. dont let your dreams be dreams op

Gomad and ss.
Also, veganlifting.

I'm 24, started from skelly when i was 21 and ive made some alright progress but horrible by Veeky Forums standards. I remember this Pajeet in his late 30s who started doing stronglifts at my first gym. He was about 190 lbs skinnyfat, not impressive at all. Started from the bar, within 3 months he was squatting 275 for 5x5, almost no changes in physique. If you're older you will definitely have a much bigger strength base

>dont listen to this idiot
>>hurr too old to make gains
>he's probably 18 and autistic

I'm 39, cumsack. I started lifting from obese at 36, got to 1/2/3/4 in a year.

Fact is you recover slower when you're older.

>If you're older you will definitely have a much bigger strength base
>you will have a higher base strength

Why is that?

Post body.

You've done sports before haven't you?

More years of adaptation. "Old man strength." An 18 year old who has never exercised is weak as fuck. A 30 year old who has never exercised has still walked more miles, climbed more stairs, moved more couches etc.

>More years of adaptation. "Old man strength." An 18 year old who has never exercised is weak as fuck. A 30 year old who has never exercised has still walked more miles, climbed more stairs, moved more couches etc.
here

I agree. First time I ever touched a deadlift bar I did 275 (at 200 pounds bw)

Not really but I did do a lot of hard labor in my teens

>What should I expect?
You will get stronger. If you do it right you will get stronger very fast.

>Will I gain as fast as a 20 y/o?
Of course not.

>Am I too old to start?
You're too old not to start.

Realisic progress. You might even do it quicker than most, since you can already save yourself some deent time by not fucing around and follow a non-broscience program.

2 months and you have some of the basic lifts down but you are still weak and inconsistent with your technique.

3 months and you will see some muscle gains and the habit of going to the gym gets less and less dreadful. You might even love it by this time. You are still weak.

6 months and there's a visible change and you start to become average commercial gym level in terms of strength IF you saved yourself from the dicking around most guys do. You might be at around 2 plate squat, 1.5 plate for binch and 2.5 plate for DL depending on where you are naturally strong. This is already better than most gym goers. This might take 8-9 months for some, faster for other with athletic background.

10 months in and your naturally strong muscles stand out more. Some have big backs, some have nice shoulders or butt or whatever. You look athletic, but your lifts are nothing out of the ordinary.

12 months. You are now commercial gym level strong. Maybe repping 225 with okayish form on squat, 1.75 on bench and maybe 3 plate DL depending on your leverages. If your progress is slow, this might take longer.

18 months. You might be repping a little under 3 plates in squat. You will start to turn the heads of some DYEL in your commercial gym because they do not know what strong means. You start reading and learning more about lifts to become more effcient. You might have become big, but you are certainly not defined. Building muscle takes time, but if you eat like a house, you will get your size nonetheless. Just not quite lean.

24 months. You start to realize that you will never be strong or as aesthetic as you want. You dwelve deeper into fitness and now it's the only thing you can think of as it is an escape from realtity but at the same time an objective feedback to your ego about your progression.

Great post

user here back at it again with the harsh truth

most of the population doesn't lift, so this isn't much of an achievement, grandpa

>18 months for under 3pl8 squat
lol

ps. just because you're shit at lifting doesn't mean everyone is

>I'm about 7 years older than the average poster, can I still expect my body to adapt to a different diet and progressive muscular exertion, or have I passed the arbitrary chronological dividing line where my physiology has ceased to function like every other humans on the planet

What the fuck do you think

>do i sound smart guys

man, everytime i see this i make myself push even harder.

I dont want to be 30 year old and regret that i didnt live my life to the fullest when i was younger.

Im gonna make it guys, and im gonna make it now.

this makes me feel better about my progress, most people tell me 1/2/3/4 in less than a year or youre shit but it seems like certain lifts are harder for me to progress so I worry

Honestly, this just makes me wanna be a /fraud/ more than anything.

Not bad for a late start.
Gotcha. That helps.

Started at 27. Made more progress than guys I know who started younger.

You're older and wiser which will help.

Pick a good program and stick to it and you'll get strong.

Most importantly read.

I started at 24 with some weird "mass building" routine I found on men's fitness (I know I know). Dicked around with that for 6 months then found Veeky Forums and started stronglifts. Progressed as far as I could and then jumped on 5/3/1.

like he said some people are better in some lifts than others. i know this because i have a strong lower body, but most people don't and this is Veeky Forums so i'm going to go ahead and assume you're baiting

good post

'most people' meaning Veeky Forums, correct? fyi at most half of this board lifts, and out of those perhaps 10% are at 1/2/3/4 or above. this place is mostly shitposting with the occasional bit of honest advice. if you're at 1/2/3/4 you're significantly stronger than most of the population.

Test levels keep rising until the late 30s, so that would compensate the slower recovery time. Which doesn't happen before the mid 30s at the earliest btw.

No. They keep rising until the late 20s, at which point they start to decline.

>Old man strength

Old man strength is guys who played football in high school, worked some shitty manual labor job, and then got fat.

They were always strong, and eating a surplus for 20+ years just meant that they didn't lose much of their gainz. If OP has been sedentary his whole life, it doesn't apply