Shakes

Can someone redpill me on protein powder shakes?
6 foot, 134lbs.
Got my gym induction tomorrow, a guy at work recommended that I take a shake every day/every other day, but as a workout virgin and a skelly I'm wondering if there's anything specific I should/shouldn't do with them.

Pic related, the one my colleague uses and recommends.

Other urls found in this thread:

bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
muscleforlife.com/bulking-up/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You use them to hit your protien goals if you can't do it with real food alone, nothing else.

They're protein, nothing more. I'd recommend learning to cook and try to get enough protein from food. Learn about what foods are good for protein and use shakes only if you can't get enough from the food.
Also, I have always stayed away from "gainers" ect. I figure it's easy enough to get fats and carbs from food.

Ok, cheers. It just seems like a retardedly high amount of protein; according to the sticky I should be taking in ~134lb of protein a DAY.

Thanks though, I'll keep it in mind.

>134g protein daily
>for someone 6ft

if you wanna be big and strong like peewee herman maybe,

What do you suggest then? The sticky recommends 1g/lb body weight for bulking, which is what I want to do

Protien is only 4kcal per g so that is like 540 kcal. No wonder you are a skelly.

but thats assuming you aren't an anorexic skeleton.

Go for 200g.

worst case scenario you have shit genetics/dont lift and you just turn the excess protein into glucose.

you have nothing to lose.

ignore him, 1g/lb is plenty. Focus on hitting your calorie goal which is just as important as protein for growth

this OP
You can eat more just for calorie's sake but it isn't necessary

200-300g protein with 3000 calories > 134g protein with 300 calories.

>b-b-but I LOVE my sugars and carbs and fatty foods! you can't make me give it up! muh articles say i dont need that much protein!! waaaaaaaaa

>134lbs of protein
>a DAY

Nigga.

find out how much protin you need (advice will vary between 1g and 2g per kg lean body mass)
find out how much protin your eating use protin poweder to fill that gap if you cant do so with food

I dont think you need it op because It's suppose to be 1g of protien per pound of muscle you have and we all know 1×0=0

what the fuck are you even saying? He can eat more than 134, but there is no evidence that eating more than 1gram/lbs will result in increased muscle growth
bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

>not eating your bodyweight in protonz a day
CMON ITS LIKE YOU DONT KNOW HOW MANY SCOOPS

dont waste your money on protein powder before you even started going to the gym wtf man

if youre a complete newbie youre wasting money, you have no fucking idea what you are doing in the gym

wait at least 3 months while working on your diet instead

people use protein powder because its way easier to eat during the day instead of cooking 1 lbs a chicken

>m-muh articles
>m-muh words
>m-muh research

said every fat fuck/dyel jason blaha descendant.

Meanwhile everyone who looks good would say otherwise.

Didn't expect there to me this much division, will hitting calorie goals make more of an impact than protein goals? e.g.
>2500 calories & 134g protein
>1500 calories & 200g protein
Just trying to get a feel for how the balance lies.

That's a shit-ton for someone who usually eats chicken once a week on average.

Alright, thanks man

K den

I'll have a read, thanks

Wouldn't shakes make the whole process faster and easier though? I'm not looking for a get fit quick scheme, but surely an easy, efficient way of getting protein and calories in my body will let me work out harder for longer (in the mid- and long-term)?

kek

Also why the fuck is brown pasta so rancid and dusty-feeling? Damn it's grim

you need a minimum of protein and calories to gain muscle.
Stop listening to these sickening trolls and read this and the sticky
muscleforlife.com/bulking-up/