QTDDTOT

Bench dips
How do they compare to regular dips? Are they inferior or just different? Do they still hit the chest as well as regular dips. Help me explore this exercise.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/2lkxuf/been_doing_nothing_but_chinspull_ups_for_years/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I am a total noob and I just did 5x5 AtG squats with what I hope is close to proper low bar form with nothing but a mop handle and my legs are wobbly. Please, when you were new, were you this weak?

Guys, i need some advice as a recovering fatass (not related to food)

Down to 280 from 320, did a hard cut for 10 weeks eating 1200 to 1500 cals everyday, mostly protein and very low carbs. (less than 50g a day)

I'm currently lifting and i want to start doing cardio, is that a good idea or should i just keep lifting? people say that fatties should lift because it burns calories and builds muscle, but then others say that it doesn't matter and that i should just focus on losing weight by cutting (muh joint pain and prone to injury) and also that it's very hard to build muscle while on a hard cut.

Am i building muscle underneath the fat or not? i guess at the very least, i'm still burning calories

Guys do you start mirin' other men when in the gym after one month of liftan like me?

lyle mcdonald's rapid fat loss handbook covers this pretty well. he recommends just doing your regular weight training at less intensity.

there's an older version of the book (with all the same core information floating around public torrent sites if you want to see the relevant chapter before spending the money. it's worth reading.

Is there any way to prevent loose skin as a fat ass? i'm not a 500lbs hambeast or anything (currently at 275) and i'm also young (19)

I see people who went from fat to fit and look good and others that look like a melted popsicle.

I hear people saying that it's caused by loosing weight too rapidly, is 4lbs per week too fast? Others say that it's genetics and others say that it's inevitable

They are nice. They offer a greater range of motion for your shoulder that´s why most people say they´re bad for your shoulder which is true you aren't mobile enough but they are a great exercise. They are easier than p-bar dips and focus on triceps and shoulders. Just be conservative with how low you dip down in the beginning as you get used to the degree of shoulder extension.

CHAD does bodyweight bench dips and has the BEST CHEST in the WORLD, while YOU do 3x8 90lbs weighted bar dips and have a SHIT chest

Many people were or are, your first steps are your hardest.

I lost heaps of weight after being a fatass, then decided to start lifting, my squats and Deadlifts started out with the 10kg and 15kg barbells and I managed 100kg Deadlift within the year, without specific training, a strict schedule or diet.

I just kind of did certain exercises a few times a week and got stronger at those.

You'll make it, keep it up. The tough barriers you're at now will be nothing to you in 6 months and you'll have new tough barriers that will be nothing to you in a further 6 months.

What is the best power clean rep range to build upper back mass?

they target triceps obviously

Strong as fuck chest.... can do 30 parallel bar dips with a 20kg backpack on..... storing some fat over the top. Genetics fail :'(.

Oly lifts should be kept low rep, 1-5. Try 8x3, focusing on form.

Row or do lat pulldowns for upper back gains.

Thanks inspiranon. I just lost 60 lbs myself. Almost where I want to be so I figured I'd better get to lifting.

What's the Bert way to do weighted push ups?

Best

>lat pulldowns

I'd say a tigh back pack with weights in it

I've injured the inside of my hip doing squats, most probably because of shit form due to any of the following; long femurs, poor ankle mobility, tight hip flexors etc etc. so basically i cant progress on SS the way i wanted to. (maybe just gods way of saying that the dinosaurs died out for a reason) So while im resting up and increasing flexibility with stretches, is there any other excercise i could replace squats with? could i deadlift every excercise day? Also Im stalling on all my lifts except dead, should i just hop on PPL?

tldr what to replace squats

Been lifting for two years. Still mire other men regularly, still feel like shit compared to the bigger guys and I'm comfortably above 1/2/3/4 at 205lbs 15% 6'1". It never goes away.

List all the ways you can progress an exercise for more gains besides simply adding more weight

There's a ton of ways. This is just a few of the main ones.

More reps
More sets
Slower tempo
Less rest
Form changes/moving to harder variations

All of those have limitations, but they all work under the right circumstances.

I am somehow still sore from the squats i did on Sunday. Should i go do deadlifts right now?

As long as the soreness isn't so bad that you can't get into the proper position, there's no reason you can't go deadlift. Soreness doesn't have much to do with whether you're recovered or not.

anyone has a nice recipe for a pre workout drink?

More muscle mass = higher TDEE
Lifting =continuous calorie burn up to 24 hours after

Do both if you can, but always put lifting first (not necessarily literally)

What's the deal with sodium? I was eating something with feta in it and some normie told me that I shouldn't eat that on a diet because it has a shitload of sodium.

Am i a faggot for wanting to suck on arnolds perfect toes?

the only thing that happens is more water retention
you can eat all the sodium in the world if you also get enough potassium and (most importantly) water

This girl in my class keeps eye fucking me and I swear I'm not autistic. When I catch staring at me she maintains eye contact for a few seconds and looks away. There's one problem though, she has a boyfriend. Should I even try anything?

Noob lifter here. Been doing strong lifts for a couple of months now and I want to add some accessories. How do I know where to start? Should I just apply the same principle as the compound lifts and start low and steadily increase weight, or should where I feel a bit of a pump and work from there?

Stats are 80kg (175lb) Squat, 100kg (220lb) Dead and 50kg (110lb) Bench if that's relevant

Yeah, you should try to kill yourself.

Should I eat my own cum? Is 100% of the protein intake actually taken into your body, or do you poop some of it out? I want to fap alot but not lose any proteins. I don't care about fat/energy

As long as you're able to progress in the ways you mentioned, calisthenics is totally viable for building muscle right? Provided diet is in order

IT is, but not at the same rate as weight lifting, because you put way more tension on the muscles with weights. But if you're just aiming at otter mode asthetic look, calisthenic is good!

Sweet!

>because you put way more tension on the muscles with weights
That's just flat out wrong.

Resistance is resistance. Calisthenics exercises work just as well as using weights. The real reason why it's considered less effective, is that after a while you have to learn new, advanced variations of the exercises that are quite hard to learn, especially if you're gaining muscle (extra bodyweight). Whereas with a barbell you can progress simply be slapping on an extra pair of plates - it's still the same exercise.

Do you need to learn new moves? Or can you simply progress the same basic exercises in different ways? Eg add more sets to the basic weighted push up. Do you NEED to get all flashy to progress results wise?

Currently cutting and just had a shit workout, squatted and OHPd less than usual. In the event that this is not just a one off and is actual strength loss as a result of my cut, do I need to further reduce calories to compensate for the reduced intensity of my workout?

Also, is HIIT too catabolic for cutting?

That's what I meant by more tension... Didn't want to go in length explanations... You did it though, thanks!

You'll need to change the variations, not the exercice itself. ie change hand placement for push ups, one legged squats, or one arm pull up...

go startbodyweight.com

Why? Should I try to cuck her bf or what?

I'm scared to get into weightlifting because of my form. I feel like before I improve I'm going to end up doing some lasting damage. Would it be acceptable/beneficial to get a weightlifting belt? A lot of my form problems manifest in my back since I used to weigh 400lbs(290 now).

Stretch beforehand

Psoas, hips, hams

Ask a coach/employee or somebody in the gym to watch for your form!

My hammies are fucking made of wood. I can't get anywhere near my toes if I try to touch them. This means I have horrendous buttwink. Should I even be squatting at all? What stretches can I do? This is extreme inflexibility

My background is rehabilitation so maybe I'm biased, but I say it's a common misconception that everybody should start out doing back squats and deadlifts. You have to pick exercises that are appropriate for your level of strength, mobility, and motor control.
A gymnastics coach wouldn't have you try to perform an Iron Cross on your first day. Of course an Iron Cross is a whole lot harder to learn than a back squat, but the principle remains - You don't start practicing an exercise that's way above your current level. The fact of the matter is that a lot of people who come here to get their form corrected will never manage to get a perfect squat, because they've skipped important learning steps and just started piling weight on top of a fundamentally dysfunctional movement pattern. With practice their squat may start looking more and more proper, but the trained eye will notice plenty of little, but important faults that skew the risk/reward ratio of the exercise in a negative direction.

Getting a belt is not the answer. Best case scenario it's a bandaid that masks your weaknesses (in your case - a belt does have its uses). Start out doing Goblet squats (or maybe an even easier variation of the squat) and progress to Air squats once you become good at bracing and your hips start loosening up. Only then can you start playing around with some more serious loading.

Contrary to popular belief, it's rare to have hamstring flexibility limit your squat.
If you have a mirror nearby, try playing around with some "quadrupled rocking" (Google it) and see if you can physically get close to something that mimics the bottom of the squat when you have your hands and knees supported on the floor.

Ideally you should warm up first. If you can do this succesfully, it's not a hamstring issue.

Quadruped*

Everyone should do cardio. Cardio is not just running, go for a walk, hike, bike ride, swim, whatever. If you can keep your heart rate up for 20-30 minutes, lift and maintain you current diet, you'll probably see results faster.

hop on PPL.replace squats with lunges for a few weeks.

Calestenics has worked great for me. Every time i see a bar or some thing now im so tempted to just start exercising.

Plus its cool when you learn new tricks. Like lsit pull ups, handstands for ages, handstand push ups etc etc. I just keep getting better over time. Plus its fun which means im not going to give up.

Would 20 pushups every hour at work every day effect my normal training? It energizes me throughout the workday but I stopped doing it after I hit higher numbers in ohp because I was worried it would stall me

Not really unless you trained your chest/triceps really hard the day before or hurt yourself. It kinda becomes cardio doing only 20 normal pushups...

How do you get over a breakup if you don't want anyone else and don't really want to tinder or something?

She broke up with me today on my birthday and said she doesn't feel the same anymore and she was too young. (Long distance she's 18) she was crying as she was saying it though?

Is it possible to just lose that feeling? I don't know. My first gf.

That's normal for a beginner. Withhin a month or two you'll probably be able to do 20kg at 5x5 AtG.

Stalling hard on my cut. 6'3. 195 eating around 2000 Cal (active trade-job). Should I eat less, I just want to drop 3-4% bf (current 15% ish. Taken with shitty calipers)

Awesome that's what I thought

Stalling for how much time?

This is just my take on it though, maybe someone could confirm I'm right...

eating sodium will basically fuck up your weight because you will retain a lot of water. So the numbers you will get from the scale may vary up and down by +/- 2 kg each time you weigh yourself depending on salt intake that day. Eating < 1g of salt / day makes the scale numbers really consistent (also assuming everything else is as consistent as possible; get out of bad, empty bladder, get naked, get on scale before eating anything, ...)

At least that's how it works for me.

Eating low sodium is one of the hardest dietary changes there is, IMO, and if you're not old/high blood pressure/etc there isn't all that much benefit to gain from it, AFAIK. So either just measure bodyfat % & waist circumference and accept that scale numbers are meaningless unless averaged over a week or two, or cut down to 1g salt/day or less if you're serious about it. The other main benefit is that you'll look a bit leaner & harder on low sodium.

Im more worried about if 20 pull ups 4 times a day will kill my progress. 20 push ups is no problem. Its like cycling. At first it kills you then later on after a 100km ride you feel disapointed that maybe you could of pushed harder and annoyed that your not tired.... thats how i feel anyway.

"My hamstrings are inflexible, how do I fix this" make them flexible? Foam roll, use a resistance band to do leg extensions straight up whilst lying on your back on the floor. Raise your leg parallel on a kitchen worktop or something, just stretch hamstrings there's no secret behind it.

How do I brine boneless skinless chicken breast real good?

All the shit I find online tells me to use sugar, but I remember seeing copypasta/images on Veeky Forums that don't mention sugar at all

About 2 months of being in this range. I tried dropping down to 1600 for 2 weeks last month and all it did was make me lethargic at work.

Is running a meme?

If my goal is to lower body fat before I build my self up the right way, would running everyday and eating less get me there?

Does running even burn that many calories? Should I be lifting instead?

Do something that you enjoy, hang out with friends, pick up a new hobby. All of these things will distract you until it gradually hurts less and less.

The sticky. Read it.

I'd say more cardio then. Or eating less. It's all about maintaining a deficit anyway... When you where at 1600, did you notice any weight loss ?
Also, maybe do a refuel day/week on high carbs and then drop back (it's detailed in the diet section of the sticky)

Just checked the sugar content on my weight gainer and it's 48.8g of sugar per serving

Is that way above the average?

Weightgainers are basically just overpriced sugar with some whey thrown in.
Provided you're not lactose intolerant, whole milk is a cheap and excellent option. You can even mix in some chocolate protein powder for delicious liquid cake taste.
Just don't start out drinking a gallon a day.

>home, away from awesome, free uni gym
>not staying at home for long enough to warrant gym membership
>only equipment I have is a non-adjustable bench, a pull up bar, and a curl barbell, with all the weights in a room too small to even stand in
I have a huge lawn though, so it dawned on me that I can become /outsidegymmasterrace/. couple of questions
1. anybody else work out outside before? any tips or problems you've encountered?
2. I can do 1 or 2 primary exercises for every muscle with this, but Im totally lost on what to substitute out for cable, machine and dumbell exercises. should I just start stacking up barbell excercises? I dont know how many variations I can get without a good bench setup

I already drink like a pint of milk a day not including my weight gainer

Gone from 110lbs to 160 in a year so I'm happy enough with my progress, just making sure my sugar intake from this weight gainer isn't rotting my guts, which I guess it is

Shit

Curious as to what kind of macro nutrient ratios you guys use.

Does it change if your are cutting or bulking?

>Asian girl at gym
>doing all leg workouts
>Im standing there, stronger but body weights remained the same

Fuck, breaking past 225 lbs is a struggle for me.

It should change when your cutting: you should basically eat less carbs unless your on a specifit diet (ie carb cycling, if ever it's not a meme)

I'm on my 3rd month of SL, doing 3x5 instead of 5x5 and my grip is failing me on diddlys at 95kg, what can I do? I was thinking of deloading and doing more volume to train grip strength

More fat and protein and fewer carbs huh?

That's what is usually done... Not saying it works best or worst though.

Should I avoid fruit because of the carbs too even tho they're such low cal

I guess it depends on you... The aim of reduicing carbs is to keep muscle mass. But I'd say that if the piece of fruit is in your calorie plan, it should be ok as long as you don't eat ONLY fruits.

Do static holds

>The aim of reduicing carbs is to keep muscle mass
Lol, how do you figure that? Nonsense.

Not saying it works or anything. You're asking something, I'm telling you what people do and why they do it.
Now if you're not happy with my answer you can go fuck yourself.

What's the best way to brine chicken breast?

Damn right I'm not happy with it, because it's not true and it doesn't even make sense.
If you're not certain about the things you post, then maybe you should note that instead of just spreading misinformation.

Are you using chalk?
Are you doing Mixed grip?
Honestly unless you're a 50-60 kg twink I can't see anyone failing 95kg diddy if they do the two things I mentioned.

Can someome post the image of the guy posting on Veeky Forums while some grills tell something like "user is so popular he is always texting"

Is an upside down pushup the same as The Pressing your body weight?

Is there more images like this?

would it be possible to modify candito's 6 week strength program in order to focus on OHP instead of bench? so instead of doing bench along with a horizontal and vertical push as accessory, doing OHP and a horizontal and vertical push as accessory?

i only ask because my bench is leaps and bounds ahead of my OHP and i'm having trouble finding a strength routine for intermediates which isn't just going to make that strength imbalance worse.

thanks

2XL fat ass here. Losing weight pretty fast.

I need some new clothes for the gym. Tying off my old basketball shorts and sweat pants doesn't work anymore. They keep sliding off during lifts and walking. I'm light on funds at the moment. Can anyone recommend something CHEAP I can comfortably wear for cycling/lifting. For shorts/pants?

is the 5:2 method a good approach for cutting?

When I do those dips it fucks up my shoulder joints, normal dips, OHP, bench is all better for tri's and chest

If you're that weak you might try very high volume bodyweight squats. Do like hundreds a day for a week or so

What does Veeky Forums think of this? m.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/2lkxuf/been_doing_nothing_but_chinspull_ups_for_years/

Lol, how can you be so weak niqqa? I know bragging on the Internet and all but I started with 60 kg DL and bench, 100 kg after like 3 months

it's a good way to quicjkly achieve a decent look, since it hits all upper body "glamorous" muscles (biceps, shoulder, lats) but it's not a good way to achieve overall fitness. you get imbalances, weak legs, shit cardio. on the long run, the risk of injury surpasses the quick aesthetic gains. add body weight squats, and any combination of dips and push ups and it becomes 100% better.

also, 5 sets of 8 is goat for hypertrophy. just needs more push and squats

Is it important to have protein after Martial Arts training? In comparison to hitting my macros on a lifting day?

Yeah I think swimming and goblet squats would have given the guy a more well rounded body. Or even just swimming might have made the lower body 'blend in' more in regard to his upper half

Is there a difference between whole grain and whole wheat food?
If so, what is it? Is one better or worse?