Scoliosis and weightlifting

Hi, Veeky Forums,

I got tired of being skeleton and finally decided to become Skeletor.

However I was diagnosed with 1st degree Scoliosis, which apperently means that deadlift, squats (and for that matter, any other exercises that put pressure on my spine) are no-noes for me.

As I can understand these exercises are unanimously considered to be the best ones and are the basis of the most beginner routines

How can I cover the lack of these exercises in my routine? What are my options?

Ask a professional, not a bunch of dumb memeing 16 year olds.

This fpbp

Reverse squat and reverse deadlift so no back involved.

Professional cots money, a bunch of dumb memeing 16 year olds does not. Perhaps there will be a good advice from someone who knows about what he talks about.

I have lumbar scoliosis, which is arguably the worst, and DL/Squat just fine.

How severe is yours? I'd say don't EVER try to squat more than 1.5x BW though, I can feel death looming after that amount.

Exact same boat as you. I can't squat, deadlift, fuck I can't even leg press, anything that puts pressure on my lower back.

For back, it's bodyweight. Pull ups are king, but inverted rows are also good, and simpler to set up with less equipment. I can do dumbell rows on a bench mostly fine.

For legs I still haven't found anything great. Barbell lunges are... ok, they're something. Hopefully someone else has better recommendations for them.

Some people are gonna post that you should squat and DL anyway. Don't. It might be fine once. Someone shows you a new technique, you were a belt, take it easy the first few times... you WILL fuck yourself up eventually and be out for weeks.

Also you gotta do shitty core isolation stuff (once you get bigger and need to even out) due to a lack of big compounds. Just gotta play the hand we've been dealt bro.

Looks like you have been diagnosed with severe case of "being a huge pussy". Man up bitch

Start light and work your way up faggot. No reason to skip those exercises, you just need to use your brain for just a tiny bit. If you feel pain then stop, lower the weight and take a rest.

Thoracic scoliosis. It's like 20 degrees of curveture. Not really bad but wouldn't want to make it worse.
Thnks for a good advice.

>1st degree Scoliosis
I don't think it's common practice to divide it into degrees. How severe is "1st degree?" - What's the Cobb angle?

Calf raises, leg extensions, and calf extensions for legs, that's really the best you're going to get, along with lunges if they're your thing.

I checked again. 21 degrees.

>I don't think it's common practice to divide it into degrees
In my shithole of a country it is.

Alright, you guys don't understand the condition.

Putting that kind of pressure on the lower back with those exercises when you have a bendy spine sends your body into shock. What eventually happens is, your muscles kick in to protect the spine. All of the muscles on one side of your lower back will tense up to protect the spine... and stay that way for a couple weeks.

You're bent over to one side, completely disabled, and in immense pain, even when lying down. Off work for a day at the very least. Hobbling over like a bent retard who's shit himself for the rest of the duration. Nothing fixes it, only time. You won't life for about a month.

Why post if you don't live with this condition? Wanna see a guy get horrendously injured? Just wanna feel better about yourselves and your own genetics? Just stop it, it's not something you can just "man up" to get over.

Not a problem then. Who the fuck did you talk to? Some idiot doctor? You can squat and deadlift just fine. With good form of course.

t. Physiotherapist student

Non-professional with scoliosis here recommending that you check out, and perhaps start with, kettlebells as they are a great addition to bodyweight exercises. Also if you get a light enough one I imagine that you'll be able to tell rather quickly whether you're capable of doing any given exercise with good form, or whether it's a "no-no" as you say.

>, your muscles kick in to protect the spine. All of the muscles on one side of your lower back will tense up to protect the spine... and stay that way for a couple weeks.
>You're bent over to one side, completely disabled, and in immense pain, even when lying down. Off work for a day at the very least. Hobbling over like a bent retard who's shit himself for the rest of the duration. Nothing fixes it, only time. You won't life for about a month.
this is my life

This.

I have gone extremely slowly because of my back problems
Hit 2 plate squat in 2014 after a year of lifting. I squat 87kgx5 now, deadlift 155kgx6 after 3 years of lifting. Slow grind

Shit sucks, right? Managed to avoid it for almost a year now, and I'm not going through that hell again.

To clarify, this isn't absolutely everyone with scoliosis, which is why all these questions of "what type, degree?" are pointless. It's a myriad of genetic issues leading to a weak lower back, of which scoliosis is usually the initial indicator.

>Who the fuck did you talk to? Some idiot doctor?
May as well be. But after brawsing through internet looking for opinions I'm still kind of sceptical, as most claim any kind of scoliosis will most certaintly not like these kinds of exercises.

I've heard that people with scoleosis will have inherently bad form

Is that the skeleton of a black woman

Look up pictures of Lamar Gant. Guy had the most messed up scoliosis you'll ever see, yet he also broke world records in the deadlift.

Get about 3 towels and 4 belts and a plank of wood about shoulder height to you from the floor.
Warm the towels using a steamer or warm water and wrap them around the centre of your body tightly
Use the belts to fasten and secure the towels and the plank of wood on and wear for about an three hours a day

Repeat for a year and check results from xray

I'll just leave this here.

Yep.Sometimes if I even laugh too hard i'll be fucked up for a week.
The last time I truly fucked up myself was July 2013. Took me till Sep that year to even be able to walk or even stand up.

I had to crawl into the emergency room at one point. They wouldn't even give me an X ray, so I have no idea how bad my spine actually is. All I got was a prescription for muscle relaxers, and a $200 hospital bill for telling them I was in excruciating pain.

>I've heard that people with scoleosis will have inherently bad form
Yup. My form will never even have the option to be as good as someone's form that has a straighter back. But that doesn't mean that my form or your form has no room for improvement and that you or I can't even try. I really need to pay attention to what I'm doing lest I injure myself but that's just part of exercising.

When one picks up something relatively heavy off the ground, there's always a better way and a worse way to do it as I'm sure everyone from weaklings to powerlifters will agree.

Well, that's cool and all. But I have no desire to beat any records, or break myself for that matter.
Of course you can do these exercises, but at the end of the day it will bring no good for you body.

And I don't really believe this spine of his feels really great right now despite all those records.

>being that much in denile.

>but at the end of the day it will bring no good for you body

M E M E
E
M
E

>And I don't really believe this spine of his feels really great right now despite all those records.

He felt great all the time.

Damn. That's worse than mine, and I highly suspect the OP's as well.

Dude the point is that although your spine may have an unusual shape, it's still a pretty resilient structure. And what's more, strengthening your back is ALWAYS a better idea than sparing it. No one is telling you to go break records (and honestly, training for maximum performance is not the same thing as training for health), but you don't have to be afraid of doing basic exercises.
Yeah, you see a lot of cautioning and shit, but remember than in the US people will sue you for everything you own if you're a health professional who gave a green light to somebody who managed to hurt themselves.

I have scoliosis and I've found that lifting (including deadlifts and squats) has improved my posture and pain.

>Source: PA (not a doc, but I have a fair amount of health knowledge).

lol that skeleton is like "DAMNN GIRL!"
also this.
A physiotherapist or even a highly educated trainer. putting a hundred dollars into a couple of sessions is really cheap compared to hurting your spine.

Google "Lamar Gant"