Alright Veeky Forums, I need your sage advice

Alright Veeky Forums, I need your sage advice.

I'm running SS and my chest is lagging behind muscle development wise. Which sucks, because I'm trying to be a big guy (for you).

Anyway, I can't tell if its my "upper pec" falling behind or the entire pec, since its all droopy. I'm guessing the latter

Right now, the only accessory work I do are knee raises (working up to leg raises). What are two exercises I can add on to the end to try and get my chest to look juicy? If I only get one exercise, I'll just be doing shrugs.

Please halp fit. I look ridiculous in a shirt

Do cable fly's.

I don't see how you can say your "chest i lagging behind" when you're doing SS. you've been lifting for a couple of months, wtf kind of chest gains do you expect to happen? maybe you should post a pic

Stop doing flat bench and replace it with incline. Add in dips.

I mean I swapped off my shitty PPL to SS, to try and get out of novice territory. But its at the point where my bench (and therefore muscle gain in my chest) aren't even close to what I'm aiming for. So to fix the problem, I'm gonna add in some accessories. I didn't expect much chest wise from the Trex mode routine, but a little more development would be nice.

Also, Hyght flies For your aesthetic isolation.

Getting a higher flat bench is a secondary goal of mine, so I'd rather keep it in. Would adding in incline at the end of my workouts achieve a similar result?

I'd rather avoid cable flies, since they annoy the hell outta me.

assistance work is not the key to progress on SS and typically will only interfere with the main exercises, not help them. you need to figure out why you can't add weight to the bar like you're supposed to.

If you're going that route then it would be more efficient to alternate strength with hypertrophy routines on 6~12 week microcycles. But since you won't do that:

>main lift
>main lift accessory
>hypertrophy lift
>hypertrophy isolation

Add those in that way. So it might look like this:

>Bench 2x5
>lockouts 1x5
>incline 3x8~12
>Hyght flies 3x8~12

>If you're going that route then it would be more efficient to alternate strength with hypertrophy routines on 6~12 week microcycles
no, it wouldn't. that would be a massive waste of time for a beginner.

Shithead will insist he's not a beginner.

Shithead OP here. I am most definitely beginner/novice. Took me a while to accept that, but that's why I'm on SS now. My lifts are all novice, so give me novice advice where possible.

The best novice advice I can give is to not really give a shit about assistance lifts right at the start. If you want to do them after the big stuff if you've still got energy? Fine, knock out a few sets. But they're not going to suddenly make a huge difference and, for the brief time you're on SS, the more important thing is to figure out why you're getting stuck on bench so early.

Especially if you want a big bench for the sake of a big bench. That takes technique.

This Lifting is like everything else in life. You have to pay your dues grinding out the basics before getting fancy.

kek why? They're good.

I'm thinking your right. The issue is that my form is decent (rounded back too) but I can't progress more than a bit over 1pl8 for 5 reps. I'm gonna try a deload plus have a buddy film me next gym session for a form check. But I notice more volume has helped in the past (back off sets have helped my squat in the past) and thought maybe an accessory like incline bench would help.

Plus my chest looks like shit and I want to start addressing that sooner rather than later.

If you hit plateau on bench, you could switch to greyskull LP.

My advice: follow your current program for 12 weeks straight and then switch to Greyskull and follow that after 12 weeks.

When you're a novice, you shouldn't care about aesthetics, only about form and improvement in weight. The aesthetics will come.

One question: how long have you been on starting strength?

Where in the lift do you stall?

>if it's at the bottom, your pecs are holding you back. Bench more, eat more and/or sleep more. A noob shouldn't stall at the bottom.
>if it's at the middle, it could be your delts. Try some incline bench and/or OHP.
>after middle, it's your triceps. Do some dips, tricep pushdowns and/or floor press.

Whew. Sorry guys, phone died, took me a bit to get home, then I was eating.

Ok, looks like I'm gonna be grinding out a bit more. I'm thinking I'll keep accessory as only the leg raise progressions for a while, since they take almost no energy at all, and are super quick.

Hopefully I'll overcome the bench plateau. I think I'll throw in a few back off sets after every few workouts and see if that helps.

Because the normiefags in my gym legit congregate around the cable flies machines. It's...actually a little odd, to be honest. It and the leg press are pretty much always in use. Anyway, I tend to go at busy times, and I can't really be screwed waiting 15+ minutes for it to be free.

Been on SL for about a month and a half, but recently dropped the last two reps so it's SS, since I was having trouble with squat. I deloaded my squat as I did this, as well, so now I'm hoping to finally hit 2pl8 (was 10lbs off it when I stalled).

I might consider Greyskull, but I haven't read a huge amount into it. What's the real difference?

It slows down at the bottom, and getting it up past about halfway on the way back up is really, really hard. I tend to fail on reps 4 or 5. Looks like I'll be doing some tricep work.

Do you think diamond pushups would be sufficient? They work triceps, and I need to get better at pushups for joining the army reserves in a few years. Can I kill two birds with one stone here?

Dips, Flys, incline db, decline bb, git guds x f

Eat more and sleep more. Dips. Lots of dips.