QTDDTOT

Is eating meat a must for making gains? Can I make gains my hitting my macros and calories without meat?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/2lkxuf/been_doing_nothing_but_chinspull_ups_for_years/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes
No

No
Yes

I run and boulder on alternating days, working out 6 times per week total. Bouldering is 1-2 hours in the gym and running is for 30 min. I am 6'1 21 yrs 195 lb. I calculated my tdee and its 3556. That seems way to high for just maintenence but does that sound correct?

One and only OP here. Explain :)

Is the first guy trolling me? Tfw in doubt

About a month into SS. Thinking about investing in a dip belt How fast should I add weight?
Day A i do 2x8 Dips.
Day B I do 2x8 Pull ups.
Should I change it to 3x5 and keep adding 5 pounds? Or keep it as is and gradually add 5 pounds like I would for the other exercises.

i used to warm up walking on the treadmill for like 5-10 minutes but now i dont and i feel like it's hurting my performance because i go straight into stuff

is this real or in my head? i do warmup sets but i feel like it's not as good

for the average person, who doesn't train- or care about building muscle, just losing fat- what macros would you recommend to someone? there's likely not a protein requirement to keep gaiiinzz. so- what would it be?

I ask because, i've done low carb for the longest time- and gotten great results thus far. i'm 10 lbs away from goal weight and everything has come to a halt. I've combined daily 24 hour IF, occasional LISS/HIIT and a 500 cal deficit.

At this point I think leptin is in the shitter, as I typically stay

Is it possible that low blood sugar is causing my headaches when i workout? there is almost no sugar in my diet

went my whole life without back acne (now 23)

in the last 2 months it's come outta nowhere, not on roids either.
any idea why/ how to get rid of it?

what's the point of going low carb?
what's the point of going low fat?

>low carb
Carbs typically offer very little nutrition to calories, especially refined carbs which is what most people eat. Carbs are basically just energy and that is it. Low carbs means no insulin spike, insulin is the hormone that removes excess sugar from your blood and stores it as fat. Also, low carb typically means low calorie as carbs typically bulk up your calorie intake without filling you the way proteins as fats do.

If you are going to remove a macronutrient from your diet, it should be carbs.

>low fat
Fat is the most calorie dense macronutrient with 9 calories a gram compared to 4 for both protein and carbs. Fats can easily add up in calories without you realizing it. For example, you may not even notice a table spoon of oil in your food. Example, a tablespoon of olive oil is 120 calories, 4 oz of raw chicken breast is also 120 calories. I could easily hide 1 table spoon of oil in salad dressing and you would not notice it but I could not hide 4 oz of chicken on a salad without you noticing.

Fats however are one macronutrient that does not cause the release of insulin meaning little fat storage and good for diabetics.

No, a healthy person with a full, healthy diet will have the same blood sugar level regardless of what they eat. (high sugar will spike your blood sugar level but 2-3 hours post meal you will have the same level regardless your diet. )

Your headaches are most likely blood pressure related. Your blood pressure is probably increasing as your work out because you are replenishing the liquids you excrete. Try drinking more water before/during your workout.

It is possible but a lot harder, you probably don't have the discipline, eat salmon post work out and you will probably make the same gains assuming you hit your macros. You will get sick of eggs milk and yogurt

you should only store the macros as fat if you're a surplus though.. correct? you should be able to cut with either. no?

best exercise(s) to do in the gym for kayaking? I think there was a machine but I don't usually do machines so I don't know what it's called.

Well there are world class vegan permabulk powerlifters

So

Yes
No
Veganism is a conspiracy to rob you of your manhood. Don't fall for it.

I would assume rows because you literally row when you kayak.

Are avocados Veeky Forums? More suited to cut or bulk? Does it even matter as long as I hit my intake goals?

Currently my life is dominated by the feeling of fear.
Even though I had some GF I still am afraid of ending up all alone. Anybody else experienced this? And how to do something against it.

Lift more.

Lift the sadness away. Drown your pain in protein shakes.

You will most likely end up alone in the end, dont fear it but embrace it
Get over your fear, no tricks to it
Or read existential psycology by Yalom, pretty good read

I'm a 5'10 125lb skelter, absolute beginner. I just signed up with a gym and the manager was saying i shouldnt be using the freeweights for now and just use machines, partly to get used to the gym but they also said it wouldnt be the best exercises for my body type. Is this bullshit? Should i really just do SS? Are there any other good starting routines? I'm not trying to get big, just muscular / """lean"""

Honestly for my first couple days i probably will just be trying out random machines and trying to watch people, but i do actually want to do some real shit

Ive lately been noticing a lack in sex drive or i dont know what to call it...im feeling less stupid anyway
I dont feel like chasing after girls anymore because its wasting time i could use to improve my studies and since i stopped trying to get laid ive actually gotten recommended for a promotion despite being a part time worker in college
Point being is there something wrong with me? should i go to the doctor regarding my test levels? or is this just me finally growing up and getting smart?

Sounds correct. I'm 6'3" 200lbs and I box and lift 3 times a week and commute by bike. I actually lose weight at 3000 kcals

That is a really dark point of view to just assume you are going to end up alone.

>I'm not trying to get big, just muscular / """lean"""
Absolutely love reading this. Do you think it's going to happen by accident?

Love runs out, girls get bored, people change
Read the text, here ill quote you abit
>Psychological dysfunction results from the individual's refusal or inability to deal with the normal existential anxiety that comes from confronting life's "givens": mortality, isolation, meaninglessness, and freedom
The point is mostly you cant rely on other people to be there for you, its never a guarantee they will stay no matter how "safe" you think you are in your connection
This risk will cause fear if you cant handle it

I was very scared of losing my gf, i didnt want to be single because i knew what it would mean and that it would probably kill me. I knew she is a girl so she would move on very quickly whereas i would most likely not ever be able to find a new gf
This caused major imbalance as i did everything i could to keep things together and in the end it still failed
Imagine your worst nightmare coming to life and chilling with you, not very fun but i managed to push through the loneliness and focus. Now i dont feel fear anymore and its great

Read about existentialism, train yourself to be able to let go of things you dont want to lose and rely only on yourself

I'm not some girl scared of turning into a giant muscle. I'm letting you know what i want out of a routine. Like i dont want to go 6 days a week kind of shit

good post tho

What other benefits are there to consistently lifting and eating clean other than being strong and healthy. If I get fit and ripped enough could I like get sponsored by some fitness companies and get free shit. Im getting ahead of myself as I've only been lifting 3 months but I know it's becoming a part of my life in going to devote a lot of time to and I want more out of it then just health/strength.

is there supposed to be a difference between "press" and "bench press"?

that sounds like cancer desu
''i like playing vidya let me make a channel so i can leech monies''

How do I do a protein spared modified fast? Do I need supplements? Other than a multi of course. Is this a safe way to cut? I'm about 17% bodyfat wanting to get down to 10%. Educate me Veeky Forums or at least point me in the right direction

Think of the muscles you use. Squats will help. Bent /pendlay rows will help. Will help. The machine you're thinking of, no joke, is called a rowing machine.

>Well there are world class vegan permabulk powerlifters that roid
FTFY

Can i make serious mass gains on Candito LP?

Press = overhead / military press, a shoulder exercise.
Bench press = chest (well, for the most part) exercise lying down on a bench.

How the fuck does anyone even bulk without animal products anyway.

As amazing as it sounds when someone says "broccoli has more protein per gram than chicken", when you actually realise how much 200g of fucking broccoli is then it's time to get your fucking chainsaw out because you gotta cut down a whole fucking tree

Avocados are goat for either. Worth fitting into your budget.

Don't use machines. Read the sticky. Tell manager to fuck off. Protip: it takes a shitload of effort to bulk. Only retards and women think it happens easily and automatically

Yes. A press is an over head press. A bench press is a bench press.

What does Veeky Forums think of the velocity diet? Anyone here cut with it successfully?

Been on a diet for almost 2 months now and I have completely stalled for two weeks. I have been eating 1200 calories since the start. I already bumped up the exercise last week and still not budging. My first thought is that I might not be eating enough as I'm 230lb now and 1200 is pretty low but I'm really not sure. Any advice?

>rowing machine
gosh I'm so fucking stupid. thanks breh. squats are my fav lift so no problem there. might ad rows again. haven't done them since I last did SL.

A. You're probably eating way more than 1200 calories.
B.exercise barely moves the calorie needle.
C.what are your stats? Weight height gril?
D.what are you eating?

Phone edited this out for some reason but I had deadlifts will help in there.

also my fav lift next to squats. thanks again.

It might sound crazy, but I swear it's 1200 cal. I premeasure everything I eat on a food scale. 5'10 230lb male. Low carb diet that consists of chicken breast, almonds, broccoli, eggs and cheese.

Listen bro no need to lie to me or to yourself you're not eating 1200 calories.
I ate 1000 cals a day of high protein after I bulked too hard and I wanted to lose the weight fast doing RFL 2.0
In 5 weeks went from 190 to 164 (158 if you want to count the water weight lost)

1200 calories is way too low. If you were actually eating that you would be wasting away. There's likely some pilot error in your measuring.

I'm >Almonds, cheese, eggs
Get rid of the almonds on 1200 cals a handful is already few hundred cals. Eggs are fine if you have hard boiled and even then only a few as some eggs if large can go up to 100 cals.
Unless cottage cheese quark then cheese is huge in calories.

If you really are measuring everything being weighed i.e including oils , any snacks , drinks etc..
and still not losing weight on 1200 cals a day after 2 months then you might have a combo of very low test and very low thyroid hormone, I would get it checked.
However 99% of the time fatties cheat.

Oke thanks bro helps a lot. Just need to get that realization

You can measure everything you eat on a scale and still fuck up the math. I used to log cooked chicken as raw and was taking in twice the calories from it with out knowing. Example: 10oz of cooked chicken can equal the calories of 20oz of chicken.

Third time im cutting and for the third time my weight loss slows down significantly after 5 weeks.
5 weeks i lose pretty much exactly 1kg/week, i was going for .5kg/week but whatever, guess my TDEE is higher than i though.
I weigh myself every day and im consistent as fuck, as in i dont usually fluctuate, not even by .1kg.
But just like always, 5 weeks, 5 kilos down, now im 7 weeks in and still down 5, eating the exact same shit of course.
what the fuck? Last 2 times i solved it with a refill day every week because "le starvation mode", but what is the actual explanation?
I had one refill day after i noticed the slow down. Do i just have to do it every week again? What if i eat a week at maintenance, will i go back to my normal weightloss speed after?

He's definitely counting everything wrong. He's also doing a stupid diet. 1200 user, you should be eating at least 1700ish calories at your size. Proteins should be a bulk of it. Carbs aren't the devil. What kind of cheese are you eating?

Honestly chicken breast unless the guy is drizzling it in oil and condiments is very unlikely to be the cause why he is not losing any weight at 230 lbs on a 1200 cal diet.
The guy is fucking up somewhere else most likely with his cheese or just not counting oil or whatever he's using to cook.
This is with giving him the benefit of the doubt and not him being your average person that will have a cheat "day".

Most likely you get loose with your discipline and start sneaking in extra calories.

What worked for me when I stalled was intermittent fasting. Not because it has special fat burning properties, but because it's actually really fucking great for hunger management.

So you lost 5 kg, you need to adjust your TDEE to the 5 kg lost.
Also what are you doing on refill days? They're supposed to be days for carbing up.
As far as I know the higher your bfat is the more you can go without needing to carb up however the leaner you are the more carbing up you need to do.
So what is your weight height bfat?

First of all, make sure you take waist measurements instead of only relying on the scale, because water retention can really mess with how much weight you think you lose or don't lose. If your waistline is getting narrower, you know you're burning fat even if the number on the scale hasn't budged. If this turns out to be the case, you'll probably experience a sudden drop in weight at some point soon.

If you really aren't burning fat anymore however - And this following part is complete bro-science, but it's been my experience - Just take a break from dieting. Go a couple of weeks or maybe even a little longer than that on maintenance and then return to dieting and you should find weightloss reassumes.

I agree, I was just using the chicken example because I literally did that I wouldn't be eating almonds and cheese on a 1200 diet, but then again I wouldn't do something as retarded as only eat 1200 calories

Thank you for the advice but I would like to clarify that I'm down 30lbs and have been stalled for 2 weeks. I will also take into consideration the fact that I might be measuring thing incorrectly. Thanks everyone

This guy claims to have just done pull ups for years. Thoughts? Believable? If he had added in some squats he would have a decently aesthetic body.
m.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/2lkxuf/been_doing_nothing_but_chinspull_ups_for_years/

How do I grow bigger biceps and triceps? Almost every other muscle group seems to respond very well to training but for some reasons my arms are lacking to the point where it's getting disproportionate. My routine consists out of compound lifts with some accesory work. I do isolation curls 3x10 and skull crushers 3x10. I have done lots and lots pull ups and my lats have grown a lot, but my biceps almost not at all.

Believable? Sure. But it's the internet and people are full of shit. If it took years to do that with just pull ups, then he wasted his time because he could have done in 6 to 12 months with a basic program.

substitute pull ups for chin ups if you haven't already tried

Bump

Are you actually progressing with your curls and extensions? Or do you keep using the same weight for the same number of reps?
I guess you can see where I'm going with this.

Doing PPL and I want to do 5/3/1 for the big 3. The question is, 5/3/1 is only once a week, so for PPLPPLx do I do the 5/3/1 routine twice for each lift? Or once and use the other day as a light day.

What do you mean "5/3/1 is only once a week"?

Don't you only do each big lift once a week on 5/3/1

>pic related

>do I do the 5/3/1 routine twice for each lift?
Honestly it depends on how big and strong you are. If you're a huge motherfucker benching 3 plates, you definitely need a week between bench sessions and also need the deload week. If you're a smaller guy and not as strong yet, you may just be able to do it twice weekly. You can always try and see how it goes. If you can't make progress you know you'll have to change something. Going lighter on the 2nd session of the week could be an option.

and go heavy on the pullups. don't do many, I do 3x5 and do them really clean at the top

Due to a required rest period after a heart operation, I can't work out nor do heavy cardio for 1 month. Should I keep eating the same as I used to in order not to lose any gains?

I'm not reading the replies, but I'm gonna give you the real answer. I personally dislike meat under almost all circumstances. Growing up I only ate it at fancy dinners, and if it weren't for bodybuilding, it would still be that way. I'm an animal lover, but I'm not at all against killing animals for food. If you enjoy meat, eat that shit. With that said, can you realistically bodybuild without eating meat (fish included)? No. It's just not practical. That bro shit from 3DMJ about how you don't need a lot of protein is wrong, especially in enhanced athletes, which if you are taking bodybuilding seriously is going to be necessary, and most people aren't going to be capable of getting 200, 300, 400+ grams of protein 365 days per year from fucking beans and quinoa. If you just wanna be a recreational lifter with 15 inch arms and a 225 bench, sure, you can eat whatever the fuck you want, but if you want to make significant progress and look like a bodybuilder, for 99% of the population a meat-free diet is just not going to work

fat loss doesn't just stop. Maybe you've picked up water weight. If you stay in caloric deficit you're going to lose fat.

No. Less activity means lower energy requirements. How much you eat controls your size. How much you work controls what type of size.

>Low carbs means no insulin spike
this is incorrect.

adding carbs once you've hit your macro goals for the day is totally fine. be careful not to cut fats too low as they are very important for maintaining proper hormone balance.

Why does the right part of my abs protrude when under tension?
Also it seems like my whole torse is rotated left, I noticed it when, taking this pic, the lower part of my ribcage was slanted to my left.
Possible causes could be:
>Playing golf for 10 years (8 to 18yo)
>Jacking off exclusively righty
>Sleeping fetal pos on the right only (legs are horizontal but torso is rotated due to pillow and not being able to keep right arm under me)
Do I have ab cancer?

What isolations should be added to a program like SS or SL?

Curls, skull crushers, whatever the fuck you want.

The only reasonable reason is to reduce calories.

I have done about the same amount of chin ups as pull ups I think, but I can try doing more chin ups.

Yup, I try to steadily increase the load, but I find it difficult to add more weight since I can't increase the weight with less then 15% (e.g. 14kg>16kg dumbbell). Can't do ez bar curls because of forearm injury.

I used to do 3x5 pull ups with 20kg added. I kinda hurt my bicep tendon at the elbow doing that, but once I recover I'll try those again.

>I find it difficult to add more weight
There are many ways to achieve progressive overload. You can do more reps or even more sets. You can reduce rest periods, you can squeeze harder, you can strecth or contract for a little longer per rep, you can increase eccentric lifting tempo etc.
It just has to get progressively tougher over time. If you aren't succesfully doing this, then you can't really expect your arms to grow.

SS is the best program to start lifting on. Hands down.

I've quit Iifting and restarted so many times I've tried everything. I have quit every time I get to a 3.5 plate squat and approx 4.25 plate deadlift and I stall for months.

I have tried everything when restarting. SS gets me back into the quickest by far. Then I move into another program when linear gains stop.

Btw I swap out cleans for pendlays and ohp for dumbell shoulder press. Ohp is shit

maybe you're not eating enough carbs

Soy, milk, cheese, lentils, beans, eggs.

If you want to go vegan, lentils, beans and soy provide good protein. Soy is among the most protein dense foods there is.

I rarely eat meat yet I have absolutely no problem hitting my macros. Soy is better than red meat for this purpose, but chicken is best of all.

Yes, but unlikely. Headaches are more commonly associated with higher blood sugars and you also have to consider that your blood sugar can significantly raise when doing resistance training (which bouldering would correlate with) since your liver may be releasing stores of sugar to compensate. This was the case for me and the first few weeks of strength training in the gym my blood sugars would skyrocket then bomb when doing cardio.

This is nonsense. I'm type 1 diabetic and have seen first hand insulin and blood sugar profiles of non diabetics which go up and down when they eat and fast and work out just like you'd expect, especially when eating refined carbs. They're a lot flatter and less wild than diabetics, but they're still constantly changing. Like he said though, 2-3 hours post-workout and your rested bloodsugar will trend towards a base of around 4.3mmol/l

Blood pressure is also a more likely and sensible explanation and more common.

So when i perform barbell rows my left wrist feels like its seperating. As if the bones are coming apart and my hands going to pop off.

Warming up with 60kg is fine but trying to work with 75kg feels like im damaging my wrist.

Also its only when i do them over hand grip, underhand grip is fine on the wrist but feels weak; cant move as much weight as far or as many times

Order of business:

1. Book an appointment with a physiotherapist,

2. Do not do barbell rows until you get this sorted

3. Do dumbell rolls instead.

Rolls = rows

Bump for interest

Your score: Heavenly trips!

Not interested, I browse Veeky Forums.

150 pounds at 5`8, should I cut or bulk?

No
No

Neither.
Eat at maintenance and eat a lot of protein.
Lift weights and cardio.
You will burn fat and build muscle. These two are not mutually exclusive.

Shouldnt do one of them at a time be more effective?

How do I do a protein sparing modified fast... (wait for it) ... With real food? The only supplement I'd want to take is a multi. I'm not a rich man Veeky Forums.

Is fasting a good idea?

How does Veeky Forums do wrist curls?

Standing/seated/preacher curl station? Barbell/dumbbell/ez-bar?

I tried adding them in as supplementary work as I want to have larger forearms. I just googled it and did some seated dumbbell wrist curls. It felt completely wrong because the Dumbbells were sort of wagging around and it wasn't obvious how far extended I should be going.