OLD SCHOOL/GOLDEN ERA AESTHETICS

Looking at the current trends in bodybuilding which emphasizes gaining mass quickly and consequent cutting phases, leading to 'bulky' looking physiques is there any resources for training like in the golden era?

Frank Zane Arnold etc have imo the physique I'm trying to train for, contemporary builders that have similar bodies like Artemus and Calum are cool too.

Post inpo/workouts/diets/experiences

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/ricdrasin/search?query=70s
muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/arnold-schwarzeneggers-double-split-routine
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just don't use as many milligrams as the contemporary guys do

Its literally the same training approach, just less drug usage.

Bump for interest

It politics bro

it's the same shit, they just weren't as good as building mass as today's bodybuilders. training methods, diet and drugs have all improved since then. plus you'll never look like frank zane. never.

Ric Drasin's youtube channel is a good resource for information on the 70s diet/training.

youtube.com/user/ricdrasin/search?query=70s

Also, read Arnold's book if you haven't already. I'd say the training regimen is outdated by today's standards of what is considered optimal training but it gives you a lot of insight as to what they did and how they ate.

Don't use machines.
Push yourself to the limits every time.
If you can't lift it yourself and need help, go down in weight.
First rep is a max out rep, then go down.
Make sure to warm up twice.
Lots of deadlifts and 21s, also super sets.

The training methods and diets by and large haven't changed. Its mostly the increased dosages and the addition of insulin that's changed things.

I disagree, in that people now a days tend to just go big, ie I want bigger bicep and bigger traps, bigger this that etc, without taking into consideration ratios and ideal proportions.
Also, diet wise I've read in several interviews including Zanes that the ideal diet back then was to eat lean beef, small amounts of carbs and medium fat intakes. People rely more on milk based proteins and supplements like pre workouts, intra, post workout drinks as their go-to source.
Subscribed to this earlier, really good interviews and info.

>The training methods and diets by and large haven't changed
elaborate. what did they do back then and what are they doing now?

Judging standards are very different now

WRONG. They did way more volume and trained the full body three times a week. Contrast this with today's bro split of one-bodypart-per-day.

muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/arnold-schwarzeneggers-double-split-routine

I don't agree with the EXTREMELY high volume training regimen for bulking but there you go. People didn't fuck around in the days of Arnold and Frank. They worked their asses off. Bodybuilders today are a joke in comparison. See Bostin Loyd.

It's true the 70d guys took less drugs and no GH/insulin/synthol but it's it's important to note that they trained differently as well. People today are the ones training sub-optimally and they are forced to rely on additional drugs as a crutch.

They pick up heavy stuff and put it down again.
Then they eat enough to recover.

It's not rocket science.

The judging standards changed massively. Now it's the mass freaks who the judges give prizes too, not the aesthetic ones.

I didnt know neo took up bodybuilding

Bollocks. Bostin Loyd has shit genetics and injects silly shit.

Doing a contemporary routine isn't going to make you the size of Greene; injecting the amounts he does and eating the amounts he does will get you there.

>They pick up heavy stuff and put it down again.
>Then they eat enough to recover.
it would have been faster if you just said you don't know shit.

Fairly similar in terms of training - there's exceptions, but the majority of it was high volume five or six day splits.

Diet's probably seen much bigger changes (in part due to the calorie requirements of bulking up to that kind of size and, of course, the much greater availability of junk food), but the contest prep stuff is very similar - dropping calories to lose fat, dropping carbs in the leadup to dry out and then a controlled recarb before competition to regain fullness without getting watery.

To an extent but its not completely different. For all the shit judges get these days for being so mass-oriented, its always kinda been like that (hell, Arnold was considered a mass monster in his day - its not like he's rocking the golden proportions). There just wasn't the same ability to get huge.

>Doing a contemporary routine isn't going to make you the size of Greene; injecting the amounts he does and eating the amounts he does will get you there.
That's exactly my point; people are bigger because of the drugs but that's all they have--more drugs and size, not better aesthetics. They don't train right and they look like bloated bags of insulin and oil.

Inspo
Steeve reeves has that look, wide shoulders narrow waist, and a lack of softness or bloat that is accompanied with modern day training/diets.

That's Vince Gironda but your point stands.

Today's guys suck.

They do drugs as well. I guess steroid usage is very different now as well. Training has changed because the drugs allow them to recover better and accumulate more volume.

But it's all driven by a change in judging standards that has driven the trend towards mass monsters.

>They don't train right and they look like bloated bags of insulin and oil.
Agreed, the genetics havn't changed it's all diet and training, over relying on machines as well.
Yeah my bad meant to post this

If you look at the volume on some of Arnold or Serge or Zane's routines, I don't think the overall volume has changed hugely. Its not like they were lifting on minimalist approaches.

It's more mentality, the dudes in the gym just want to get big, in an interview with Zane he elaborated that bodybuilders are no longer artists, they don't see themselves the same way a sculptor sees a block of marble.

>you'll never look like frank zane. never.
yeah thanks for the reminder

Obviously you'll never look like him, your'e not Frank Zane, train your best on what your body responds to. Again this is another thing that's big is replication, ie I want to look like X Y Z athlete, or celebrity rather than create my version of a physique and bring what I have to the table. Contemporary training and physiques lack creativity.

You realize muscle is muscle right?

Synthol, if used by pros, is used very sparingly and in very specific places and just before shows.

posting inpo