/run/ Running General

>Night run
>perfect weather
>sublime subtle breeze
>empty streets

Fuaarrrk man I feel so much better after stressing too much about things. I have been running for a couple years now but I still can't seem to shut off my brain while running.

>can't seem to shut off my brain while running
You're not running fast enough then. Force your brain to focus on your running by pushing your limits and perfecting your technique. Set a sub five-minute mile as your goal.

Im new to running, currently run 5k 3 times a week. I am interested in doing them with a weighted backpack on, does anyone know what benefits doing weighted jogging gives?

Tactical advantage. I do the same.

You can go full /k/ and head innawoods when it matters.

it wrecks your joints

Your joints wear out 4 times as fast

I do all my runs innawoods already
Fuck running roads with all those disgusting normies about

why all women cant just look like this

Damn makes sense. I have been taking it easy since I injured my calf years ago. Hopefully I can get better soon. Great advice, much appreciated man.

If you have to do it, don't do it too frequently and not for too long. Like the other anons said, bad for the joints, even more so considering mundane running can be bad for the joints if done with poor form and little rest between sessions

Hmm maybe I wont then
But how come the military do it if its so bad for you?

Because soldiers have to be able to run with their equipment. No need for a civilian to train running with weights.

Anyone have any tips for morning running (10k-15k)?

I'm currently an evenin/night runner after I've had my day's nutrition and have no issues. Trying to run in the morning I get wobbly legs 4k in and and my whole body struggles. My performance is shockingly reduced compared to night. Any way I can get enough nutrition in time to fuel?

I usually do the same as OP. However I'm trying to run a mile with out stopping I get tired after half a mile and need to rest for like two minutes. Been doing this for weeks now but I can't break through to do more. Am I doing it wrong?

They also dont run on pavement/concrete.

Is jump roping good cardio? Do any of you do it?

Running sucks, I only do it because I'm cutting.

Run slower

Have you tried shortening your strides?

I recently figured out that the main reason I was unable to run for more than max. 15 minutes in the past two years was because I was too eager and taking too long strides. Now my ankles are no longer burning, my face doesn't get bright red and even after 40 minutes without pause I feel like I could go on further. Perhaps this can fix it for you as well?

I recently picked up boxing and yeah I do it.

I can run 40mins without stopping but god damn jump ropes fuck me up in 10mins.

To answer your first question yeah they are good cardio

Jumping rope is _great_ cardio.

I find it hard on my knees, so I don't anymore, but if you can jump rope for a solid 10 minutes you are in the top tier.

Because the military uses up people in their prime and spits them out once old.

Anybody have flat feet here? Been running on and off for 2 years, recently got serious about upping my speed/time. Don't know if I should get insoles in normal running shoes or by custom running shoes to fit perfect on my feet.

>Tfw living in Mexico, one of the fewest places in the country where isn't safe to go out after 10pm
>JUST

Do you carry water with you? I want to start running but i'm afraid i won't be able to run more than 2km without some H2O. Also Is there a good distance for the beginner or am i supposed to run untill i won't feel my lungs? Do you lisen to music while running?

Got a 5:54 1mi with flat feet and shit broken shoes. I would assume getting good running shoes would help, but I doubt insoles would do much until you'd been using them for a few months and got use to it.

I never bring water with me but if you get thirst it wouldn't hurt to bring some as long as you just take sips. Couch to 5k is great for beginners since it has you alternating walking and running to build up a pace.

Just pace yourself then build up distance after that. Make sure you run with good form(don't over stride, run with your legs under you, land with your midfoot). I rarely am out of breath after I run but midway I always tend to mentally fatigue but I just push through it to go into cruise control.

I do listen to music when I run. I recently stopped though because I was listening to the same playlist over and over.

Run at 5 am, same advantages.

I listen to podcasts, helps me zone out.

How do you increase speed?

what about your knees guys?

What?

>Australian
>Night run
>Desert, cold as fuck windy shit fuck
>Cars drive past yell shit at me
>'OIiiiiii CUnnntttt' as they take off into the night
>Looking over my shoulder for aboriginals
>gotta watch out for snails crossing the footpath
>If I step on one I end up vomiting and having PTSD about it for a week
>See headlights approaching
>Brace for getting yelled at
>lucky.jpg
>walk past traffic camera, big fucking black spider scares the fuck out of me
>Just wanna get Veeky Forums

Man i'd love to run at night in the desert, shame it's filled with creatures that will kill me if i'll get near them.

I used the C25K to get up running for 30 minutes non stop (didn't measure distance but probably close to 5K) but then I got lazy over winter and I had to start all the way back on week 5 when I started running again(run 5 mins, walk 3, x2). Is it normal to lose this much endurance if you stop running for a couple months?

The most important thing is to finish the distance without a pause. The speed comes after and you should always try to run a constant pace the first half and speed up the second half.

Running at 5:30pm is the best because you get to see all the cutie runner girls who go after work.

Eat some cement and harden up CUNT

Yeah that's pretty normal. You should try do it just once a week at least, I've been doing that since I finished C25k and I've still kept my endurance.

Yeah. Gotta keep it up bruh.

Meanwhile you're a carbon copy of every dudebro complete with shitty tattoos.

found the woman

Mad cause your style is shit and you've gravitated toward nigger culture because you're an insecure fuckboy?

>woman saying nigger

LONDON

I moved to colorado 3 months ago and my 2 mile run time has increased by almost 3 minutes. I can't seem to get it down :(

Start 420blazing and forget about running.

Wait for that red blood cell count to climb, you swamp-dweller.

Do your knees just need time to recover? I swear there is some sort of substance under the kneecap that re-generates

I hate running because my thighs turm red and I get itchy as fuck, does that mean I need to run more?

When does it stop

What do I tell people who say running is stealing my gains? I care about heart health :(

You mean like the world?
At least the Military reaches the top physique

Tried to stretch and bend etc for longer than usual?
I "have to" stretch for 15-20 minutes (rarely, but it happens) some mornings..
Prefer to run @night due to cleaner air and body is all warm and flexible

It will if you don't eat enough. But generally people are too dumb to understand that.

HIIT is good for them gains tho

Lose weight fatty

Facepalm. Ever heard of a firefighter?

Actually heel striking doesn't increase injury chance if your body mechanics lend to that form. They did a study that said basically strike where it feels natural.

Doesn't running fuck up your knees?

It depends on how fat you are and how bad your form is.

67kg. No idea on my form.

Is 0 to marathon in two years doable? How long after quitting smoking can i expect lung improvement? Smoking for 5 years ~20/day. Slightly overweight.

they only need you the 4 years

its like everything in the military - built to last only the life expectancy of each unit in the carnage of combat

in my country, the equivalent of marine recon units had a life expectancy of minutes in combat

> Is 0 to marathon in two years doable

Depends on a lot of factors. That might be overreaching. Maybe just get a plan and see how you respond to it. (c25k then bridge to 10k then some 10k to half marathon plan)

> How long after quitting smoking can i expect lung improvement?

You'll notice a huge change after 2-3 months of training smoke free.

>Is 0 to marathon in two years doable

yes. Absolutely. I did it in 6 months. I hadn't done cardio in 5 years when I started and the first time I ran I couldn't do 1 km. Then I ran every second day and atfer 2 months I could do 10 km in 50 min.

>on week 5 of c25k
>literally struggled with running a minute in the beginning
>just ran 8minutes twice with a 5minute break inbetween
next time is 20 minutes straight, no idea if i'll make it

It's all a matter of whether you've learned how to run slow enough so your chest doesn't give out first

I am 5'10'', was around 73kg of pure fat (amerifats probably think i was skinny) 11 months ago. I started running on july 1st, tracking my runs on july 7th. July 7th, I ran a 3.5km in 23:20, average time of 6:39 min/km. I had to walk 3 or 4 times.

Yesterday, I set my new PR in half marathon. I ran 21.19km in 1:50:10, average time 5:12 min/km.
I didn't try to run more than half marathon by now, but for example if I took slowed tempo and did 21km in 2:05:00, I am pretty sure I could run for another 10km. The point is, with proper workout plan I can get to 42km in few months.

I didn't smoke and I am young though. When I started I was 19. You are probably a bit older, and damage from smoking will hold you back a bit, but in 2 years you can definitely get to running a marathon.

Shin splints
What's wrong with me? I midfoot strike, my cadence is good. I'll warm up run ~7:00 pace for 3-5 miles, cool down, stretch, and still feel shin splints 3 days after.

don't forget
>runner ass

I'm 182cm/80kg and my knees actually feel better after I've started running 3 months ago. At first they were sore, but I ran through it and now I run 5-10k 5 times a week and, with proper stretching after the run, they don't hurt at all.

About form - don't place your feet too close to each other, don't turn your knees inwards, put the feet in a way that feels natural to you. Keep your back straight, look straight ahead, don't look down. Swing your arms front to back without any side motion. Don't clench your fist, imagine you're holding a piece of paper.

I get more calf gains than anything.

Been running for 4 months, its actually getting fun now. First 2-3 months of learning to run were hell faM. Training towards a solid 10k now

Most of the time I don't even remember Australia exists, but when I am reminded of its existence I can't help but wonder why anyone would want to live there.

>tfw you feel you're getting to old for girls in their prime..
fuck.

Agreed. The military just doesn't hide it. And at least they get tri-care in the US.

I can't run any ways let alone walk these days but is it true running is bad for you? Eg. overly hard on your body. I've heard walking/speed is sufficient enough.

People have been running long distances ever since the first person existed hundreds of thousands of years ago. The reason you love fit asses is because we are runners meant to fuck and make more runners.

>But how come the military do it if its so bad for you?

Do you have any idea how many people come out of the military with fucked up knee, ankle, and back problems?

>'OIiiiiii CUnnntttt' as they take off into the night

im in tears

>Running InnaDesert at night
>80°F (Arizona)
>Switch headlamp on high
>eyeseverywhere.png
>turn headlamp back to low
>keep running

i have a budget of 150 euros what are some good running shoes ?

>military
>giving a single fuck about their people
Pick one

Stinson Hoka One One, possibly the best running shoe out there!

Try to focus on the breathing, the impact, the sounds of the world, the sights.

Usually the meditative state happens in longer runs. Like over 3 miles, once you get your second wind, the endorphins flow, and you just get in the flow of the movement.

It won't happen every time, but when it does it's pretty awesome.

It's summertime and I want to get into running for the heart gainz. I'm trying to build muscle though, so I need to consume enough calories. If I start running, is it as simple as eating the amount of calories I burn on top of my normal goal? Also, when is best to run, b4 or after workout, and can I drink Gatorade or something while I run for ez calories. Last question, is there a routine or something I can follow? Or can I just go out and run for a set amount of time/distance and get better each time?

If you're going to run the same day as lifting, it's better to run second. You can run decently if you're tired from lifting, but the strain on your nervous system from a good run will likely make your lifting session less effective. There are different running programs out there. If you've got terrible cardio health and have basically never run before, Couch to 5K isn't a bad place to start. But there's nothing stopping you from just running.

So how do I into running when I have a breathing condition? I've been swimming for awhile, but my doctor says running would be even better because the bouncing breaks up mucous in the lungs to make it easier to cough up, but it's for that reason that I completely suck shit at running. Like I have a lot of trouble getting through the first week of couch to 5k.

Wat do?

What's the breathing condition?

Cystic fibrosis. I take bronchodilators (albuterol and some ephedrine) before any kind of exercise, but it still isn't enough to get through, and I'm worried I'm legit going to pass out due to low oxygen

That's tough man. I'm no expert but if your doctor said you can run, then keep at it, over time your body should slowly adapt and you can run longer distances without flare ups. Go easy though, you don't have to run long and hard right away, build up to it over a period of a year, stay consistent.

Keep swimming too if you can.

Meme pillows. Regular runners from Brooks, Mizuno, or Saucony are far better.

Just run as slowly as possible while doing c25k. You can work on getting faster later.

Where do you guys run? Just on the side of the road?

I'd like to be able to run at night, but I live out in the middle of nowhere where there are no street lamps, not to mention no sidewalks.

Yeah, I just run on sidewalks mostly; treadmill during the winter.

If there aren't many cars, just run in the road in the day. No one cares. They'll give you room.

>source: I'm a middle of nowhere runner.

Find a park with an unpaved trail if you can

Invest in a headlamp

I need some help here Veeky Forums, i have really really bad cardio, i can run almost 2km at 10km/h untill i'm tired, i runned for three months and the best thing i could accomplish was 6km nonstop at 7,50 km/h and my skelly friend can run 10k in 50m without trouble and almost never runs, the thing is i'm not fat or anything, i do a lot of pushups/pullups/bwsquats, i've always had bad cardio, for example i went mountain trekking with a group of 50 people and i was one of the lasts, even guys who smoke and never exercised didn't feel a thing, another example is that i went cycling with my 55 yo dad who only plays sports periodically, and he was going slow and confortable while i couldn't keep up

So, I'm pretty new to fitness and I'm currently down 31 lbs, starting at 260.

I do 20 mins of cardio, running roughly a little over 2 miles, then I lift weights, and then I finish off with another 20 mins of again, 2 miles for a total of 4. I do this 4x a week.

Is this too much cardio? I'm barely on month 2, so I'm obviously not lifting super heavy or whatever. But, I heard that doing too much cardio will limit the amount of muscle you can grow.

I guess my overall question is, is it ok to do this amount of cardio for weight loss while lifting weights?

40 minutes a session

160 minutes a week

about average

Should I aim for a little more?