Scoliosis and weightlifting

I've been lifting for about 2 years now without any major dedication to getting big. (Not eating right or lifting heavy)

Im looking to start putting on mass but I have scoliosis and I'm finding it painful to do squats with anything over 80-ish lb and can't deadlift more than 1pl8 without feeling like I'm collapsing.

I am a hockey player and want to make sure my legs are growing with my upper body at a fair rate. What are my options Veeky Forums? I feel so lost.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=7041581
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yoga and foam rolling

>whining

Your only option now is to kys you cunt.

proper deadlifts will straighten your spine

Foam rolling just hurts my back and I do yoga semi-regularly. Just to keep mobility in my spine.

Im more curious about what leg workouts I can do to put on mass that don't apply too much pressure on my spine.

Are high-volume, low-weight squats sufficient to build leg muscle?

You look good all things considered.

But you need to talk to a doctor man, Veeky Forums isn't good for niche shit like this.

Kindly off yourself you cunt.

Ive read about this. However, muscle imbalance is caused by scoliosis. Not the the other way around. (Functional Scoliosis is different).

I very badly want to do heavy squats and deads though. No trainer will go near me though.

As previously mentioned, kindly kill yourself you whiny cunt.

Doctor wants me to get surgery. I'm considering it but I'm transferring to a university as a junior soon and want to get onto their hockey team. Surgery would prevent that.

Also, I'm compensating majorly in this picture. My curves are both around 50 degrees. My ribcage is twisted and yeah. Hard to tell with clothes on luckily. Thanks though!

Even the docs are slowly giving hints to you, you REALLY need to kill yourself you cunt.

I have scoliosis too senpai.
I had a back brace that I had to wear going through puberty to prevent becoming quasimodo.
My back still aches, but I am able to perform all my lifts.
I don't know how significant of a spinal curve you have, but (broscience) I feel that deadlifting and squating with proper form will strengthen the muscles that support your spinal collumn.

My advice to you is to look up videos on how to foam roll your back. I have a feeling you are doing it incorrectly. You should never put weight on your actual spine, but have the foam roller rest on the muscles adjacent to the spine.
And yes, it should hurt. Foam rolling is excruciating on my quads after a leg workout.

Next, I would treat this like any other roadblock.
Therefore, back off on the weight and only lift the amount where you can complete your sets. If you can't squat anything over 80ish pounds, then find a high rep program where you do sets of 80 pounds.
I would supplement that with the leg press.

TL;DR
Lifting with proper form should help correct or, at least, strengthen the muscles supporting your spine.
look up how to properly foam roll your back. See actually videos online
continue squatting and deadlifting and lift what you can. supplement with leg press for the time being.

You too need to kys you scolio scum.

mad because my lifts are superior despite being at a genetic disadvantage?

Ill be watching youtube videos on that after my workout for sure then. I've been laying off most lower body exercises for about a month now but am slowly getting back into it.

Is it possible to build solid legs with low weight though? And as for leg-press, I have a home gym with no legpress. Might be time to get my gym membership back.

Thanks for the advice scoli-bro.

rofl who the fuck would be mad at some scolio faggot like you? Just kill yourself you inferior subhuman scolio scum.

the goal should be to ramp up the weight as your body acclimates to increased intensity (like any routine hurrdurr).
And if you have no alternatives I would probably get your gym membership back. The leg press hardly uses your back (unlike squats) so it would be a good way to develop strength in your quads as a means of progressing your squat.
The main goal is to improve mobility and strength to allow you to squat and deadlift properly. If you can't do those lifts, theres really no point continuing.

I had scoliosis too. I had surgery to fix it. Still, a slight curve, but much better than the 58 degrees I had so thank god. My doctor just gave me the green light to start lifting again, so I'm trying to get big. You sound like you need surgery, the longer you wait, the worse. Your body can recover from it easier when you're young and strong, and you can get back to getting big m8.

my heart goes out 2 u

Going to have to renew it then. Even if just for the leg press. It'll be beneficial to have all the other equipment so I may as well. Thanks for the advice. I know that I'm supposed to increase intensity as I go but my legs are stronger than the weight I can squat/DL. I was leg-pressing around 225lb about a year ago. My bench is also around 150 so an 80lb squat is ridiculous.

What was recovery like for you? My doctor has been trying to talk me into it for a while now. I have a 50° thoracic curve and a 35° lumbar. Also, what is the appearance difference? I feel that appearance is the biggest determing factor for me in regards to getting the surgery done.

Look up Lamar Gant and watch some of his videos. He could deadlift 634 lbs and had scoliosis.

That guy was built to deadlift though and did it competitively. It has been shown that his spine curve would be over 100° during a deadlift. Not interested in doing that to my body.

Woops... didnt mean to trip on those posts.

samefag who hates giving advice

I'm just saying it is possible to be strong as an ox and have scoliosis
Are you retarded?

Have you seen a doctor?

Sorry for late reply, appearance is fucking awesome. I don't look crooked in pictures, my tilted pelvis is finally in line and my other leg isn't longer so it feels great. Recovery was a bitch, but my family helped me so much and I got stronger every day and after a good 3-4 weeks, I was set. 5 days in hospital, like 2-3 at home. Got up everyday, and it fucking sucked, but I did it.

Like, on the tilted pelvis, my right hip looked larger and was poking, it was bad, but my doctor took into account appearance and did the best he could to fix my back not only functionally, but cosmetically, so it looks a lot better.

Do you feel comfortable with your body now? I feel like I cant even go to a public beach without getting strange looks. Always wearing hooded sweaters to cover by back and all that.

How long until you were able to start lifting again?

Are one of your legs shorter than the other user? My right is about an inch shorter and it makes my hips tilt and lower back bend to the side to keep balance. It's really a pain in the ass and I have OCD about it. Makes bending forward and squatting uncomfortable and feel like if I ignore it I'll end up with some severely uneven muscles.

I was able to start lifting like again 5 months later, he took all the restrictions off. And yeah, I'm fine with my body, much more confident than before. But then again, I'm not 100% there and that's why I lift, so when I take off my shirt, I get people mirin all day all night, brah.

Can you kys you cunt?

As far as I know, my legs are even length. Not entirely sure how my scoliosis started, just that it's genetic.

How soon were you able to return to school/work? Im in college rn and will only have about a 6 week period of vacation until a new semester starts again.

Makes me feel better knowing youre a lot more confident now though. Hoping I could get a similar transformation.

Have any back pictures?

Check out this thread from BB forums, might interest you.
forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=7041581

Look up Lamar Gant. Terrible scoliosis ended up lifting massive weights.

Though main key being if it hurts dont do it. Still tough it out as much as you can but especially if something hurts the next day (not doms) dont do it.

You can still train youll just have to work harder to make up for your limitation

scolibro here
many doctors (3)have allowed me to lift ( 20 degrees curve ) i have a left leg 1/2 inch shorter than the other and that was what caused my scoliosis first functional ( attitude scoliotique frenchfag here) then developed into real scoliosis. I am considering quitting squatting and deadlifting and doing cleans and front squats instead because they feel more confortable. I do stretch for 1 hour a day ( after waking up and before sleep) i do A LOT of pull ups ( doctor said its good for the thoracic curve and syphosis) having a good core and hamstrings and stretching quads, hip flexors and lower back help with the lumbar lordosis too. I m just tryna make it my scoli bros , i hope none of us goes to snap city.

"If it hurts, don't do it" is pretty much what I've been going by. I threw out my back about a month ago. Couldn't even bend down passed a 45° angle. Not sure if it was deadlifts, squats, or hockey. Still trying to figure that one out. Going to tough it out with the squats though.

If you have 1 leg shorter, use a shoe lift to even it out. It should help out when doing lifts that require your legs to be even.

Can you shut the fuck up.

Cancer pls go

You too, please shoot yourself in the head with a gun.

Thank you.

>Bottom right picture
>"I see what you mean doctor, but you seem to be mistaking me for somebody who gives a single fuck."
>*goes and deadlifts 600 pounds*

My advice: go to a doc and try to fix it first

It will be no fun, but pls dont fuck yourself by lifting heavy.

Shhh, the adults are talking.

Fug my right leg is like a full inch short than the other

If it hurts too much go to a physiotherapist or a doctor. Don't do stupid shit like seeing the chiro or anything like that

Agreed, Chiropractors are the biggest scam of the 21st century.

lol adults with scolio more like. Kill yourself inferior scum.

Aww don't get mad little fella, are you just angry you didn't have your nap today?

kek enjoy your failed spine. Oh and do kill yourself, thanks.

Time for you to stop posting and do your homework, year 8 is a tough one!

Not as hard as a spinal surgery tho!

Haha! Epic! XDDDDDD

Thanks! I wrote the joke while sitting straight and upright, like a normal human being does.

>straight and upright

Get it? XD

Oh wait of course you don't get it ROLF

Omg the top notch jokes just keep coming! Please post more! Maybe we can exchange emails so i can get a daily dose of scholiosis jokes!

Nah I don't get e-mails of people with scoliosis. They're inferior and stupid topkek Don't want to get my spine all mangled up now LOL

Anyways, do kill yourself, it was fun tho you subhuman scolio-tard topzozlee rolf xd