Depression - How?

Okay legit. I know some people that think they're hella depressed and..sorry but I can't believe you're depressed unless you're in some sort of mid-life crisis, lose the love of your life or are literally poor/fat/ugly as dicks.

I have down moments n all that, but I just don't get how some people can get so fucking sad that they want to end it all. Like that makes me feel pretty fucking good about myself desu. Anyone else like me?

Wonder if I'll get depressed later in my life...hm...I can't imagine it...eh

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc
washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/11/07/a-stunning-map-of-depression-rates-around-the-world/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Foaming is for myofascial release to restore motion n mobility

I'm prone to bouts of minor depression, and it's just super shitty. Depression cam be caused to ways: hormonal imbalance or application of stress. For me I think it was the latter, as since I switched my position in my company and reduced my stress levels, I have not had any major issues.

It's a real thing and it's a shitty thing. I'm lucky enough to only have minor depression. There are plenty of people out there who have it much worse. And for what it's worth, depressed people generally do not want to "end it all" because that would simply be too much effort.

I should close by saying that "it makes you feel pretty fucking good about yourself" is a really shitty outlook. Do you feel better about yourself when other people are diagnosed with cancer? It's not something that can be helped, and it has nothing to do with actions or inactions on the part of the person with depression.

Depression is a neurochemical disorder, you dumb shit

If you're miserable because you have a serious problem, that's not depression.

Imagine the "losing the love of your life" feeling is your baseline. That's depression.

>Okay legit. I know some people that think they're hella depressed and..sorry but I can't believe you're depressed unless you're in some sort of mid-life crisis, lose the love of your life or are literally poor/fat/ugly as dicks.
>I can't believe you have lower than normal levels of monoamine production or damage to the basal ganglia without a specific set of circumstances that don't involve direct interference with brain chemistry.

Okay, so you made a thread to tell us how fucking stupid you are?

Think of depression as a medical condition: for example, it's like trying to imagine having diabetes (or some other condition, I dunno) when you don't. Depression is when your brain chemistry is a bit messed up, with various possible causes, so you really can't 'just be happy'.

you take a few too many blows to your outlook and spirit and everything else and somewhere along the line it makes you feel too tired to fight back

somewhere in there you make the wrong choice and forget how to win

depression is the absence of win

Actual clinical depression is being apathetic to the point where you seem inhuman. This "sad" depression is just a media stunt for pharmaceutical companies who want to make a quick buck on the clueless normally emotional people

You have depression all wrong. It isn't the same as being sad. It is a chemical imbalance not feeling upset about bad shit happening.

there are 2 depressions

real depression is when people actually try to make their life better but are still depressed even if they have a good life, everything is grey and they eventually soduko

meme depression is when you have a shit life and you aren't feeling so well right now, meme depression makes up 100% of the depression posts you see on the internet

Well it doesn't help when the consumer (who are ignorant) feel that a drug can fix their phsychological symptoms when the causes are typically social that tend to persist even while taking the drugs.

^this

This. I've had nothing but failure in my life and it shows. I barely leave the house and usually just smoke weed and hope nothing happens to disturb the "peace" I have. I have no friends and my family doesn't care much about me because I stay at home and never do anything. I'm on meds and see a psychiatrist and I still see little to no progress. I have no dreams or ambitions. I just try and survive every days, hoping things will get better someday. I can't even remember the last time I was happy about something. I'm lucky if I laugh once a week. I don't even know why I'm typing all this shit. I'm stuck in my mind prison unable to leave. I wish I could be happy once in my life

>inhuman

Read the dsm instead of comming off as a regular fittard.

If you are constantly depressed because life is too hard in then there's probably a good chance it's due to some sort of chemical imbalance.

People, even the smartest and most self-aware, are ludicrously bad at knowing why they feel bad. Look at /r9k/ as an example. Do you honestly believe their problems would be fixed if they all got girlfriends tomorrow? For the vast majority of them their problems would be compounded. They'd feel like their space is being violated, they'd resent the fact that their girlfriend isn't an anime character et cetera.

Both being depressed about not having a girlfriend, and being depressed that your girlfriend isn't good enough, are both caused by the same bad chemicals. Social pressures wax and wane, and people adjust to them. However, if you're not producing enough serotonin, dopamine or epinephrine you will only adjust insofar as you will be as miserable as you were before the social pressures.

How about you man the fuck up? Read some books about men struggles.

I do not understand depression. It does not exist in my shitty forth world country. If I sit at home and tell my dad I'm"depressed" (which I'm not even sure has a word in Lao language) he will chase me out of the house with a stick.

You Americans have everything you can possibly want. You never worry about food, no? You have fancy iPads and electronics and cars and big houses. You complain living with your parents when you are 30 years old--try living with parents and grandparents and sometimes cousins or uncles in the same house a 1/4 size of american house.

You have best holiday in the world. Not the jesus nonsense. Thanksgiving. Sometimes, pretend it's Thanksgiving, stop comparing yourself with everyone else, think what you have and be thankful for it, and go and pick up some heavy things because it is what a man does in this world.

We are poor but no fats, no crazy woman (not white women crazy anyways), no depression. We have many bad things but you know what? Only you can let it make you unhappy.

Good luck user. Time for this user to sleep.

Shit that sounds sad brah, hang in there champ

>Wonder if I'll get depressed later in my life...hm...I can't imagine it...eh
You probably never will OP. If your brain chemistry isn't fucked up you'll have normal ups and downs but won't actually experience the physical ailment known as depression.

aww, i want to chill with you bro. Smoke a bowl and do some pull ups.

I used to have severe depression, but I never thought about killing myself because that is illogical.

My depression was a bit more understandable than the usual though since it stemmed from my dad dying in an accident when I was 10 and my little brother dying of brain cancer when I was 16 and me repressing my grief to support/ hold together my family.

As an addendum to my post, depression isn't feeling "sad", it is the lack of feeling. It is an existence based on emptiness and most people with actual depression put on masks to hide it from the people around them.

I guess anti depressant are called that for a reason in the sense that they probably are "uppers" as opposed to "downers". Obviously not very strong, but enough to get those hormones in check. I was referring to meme depression, not actual depression when I was talking about the socially factored depression. I truly think that meme depression is brought on by themselves and can be fixed, by themselves, not a daily drug. True depression I don't think I can speak for because I've never actually seen it.

It's a mental illness. It doesn't have to have a cause. You can't control it just like any other mental illness. Maybe you should do research before making retarded posts.

>/thread

>I don't understand it so it can't be real!

>Wahhhhh!!

Shut the fuck up, pussy. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about and admitted it. Sit your bitch ass down

>tfw used to be bipolar as fuck until I started on some delicous pills

Life improved by a hundred times. Finally able to keep a stable job. Too bad it took me 24 years and dropping out of everything I've ever done.

Noice

Depression refers to many things -- even clinical depression can be different things.

Mine felt like a constant mask of grogginess and shit covering my life. I always felt dirty and unpresentable. Nothing gave me enjoyment, and I looked forward to nothing. The only things I could do were suffer or distract myself with banalities.

Thankfully that is all now in the past, my neurochemistry is now somewhat in working order.

In my whole life I have never felt depressed.
I have endless optimism and the "It could always be worse, Im thankful it isn't", and a mules persistence to solve a problem by beating at it until it works.
I know im dumb, but I make up for it with tenacity and that is my sole trait that makes me a machine. I don't think too much.
The problem of all people in depression is the spirial of thinking. You think endlessly. It doesn't solve anything...
Just go run like a madman if you ever feel like thinking until you are so tired you simply won't think.
Go work a physical job so you are too tired to think and I guarantee you you will never feel depressed.

>I have never felt depressed
>so I'ma just give you some bullshit advice on depression

Lemme guess, a guy who hears voices should just go to a music concert?

Nah just exercise and don't worry!! It's all in your head!! Just smile!!

I have down moments OP, especially in the middle of the night when I can't unwind and no one is up to really do anything with.
During the day I am impossibly busy, this is the first day i've been able to lurk in quite a few days since I'm off.
If I feel bored, I go outside and play with a soccer ball or go hiking.
I am lonely some times because no gf, but I also date regularly so It's not really as pronounced.

If you work out and eat right, it's nearly impossible to be depressed, if so you have something actually wrong with you that isn't balancing out your chemical interactions or producing a certain chemical at all.

I was my most depressed when I left the military, going from an above average active lifestyle to an average one.
Now i'm kind of in a happy spot again, at the very least copasetic.

Thanks for saying this, it really does suck

You hear voices?
You can deduce by yourself that the brain is the one whos making this a problem. Therefore, overload the brain.
Make the sensation of something else overload those voices.
Brain is designed to function different in different situations.
If someone started stabbing you, I'd bet you would stop hearing voices, and focus on the stabbing that is happening.
This of course being the extreme example, but similiar can be acheived through sense of pain,pleasure,hard work.
Do some math, get deep into it. You will stop hearing it. Go work your ass off on 12 hour shift. The voices will be quiet as a fucking night. Because you won't be able to give attention to them and eventually you will completely ignore them at some point along.

>poor/fat/ugly as dicks.

most of Veeky Forums fits at least one of these criteria

Theres a bit more to depression than being sad or bummed out

Someone who wants to kill themselves are not just "sad", they are either mentally ill or are so stressed out they are in a kind of fight or flight response, and dont see any other way to handle their life issues.

Then theres clinical depression, which is a whole other ball game.

yeah i'd like to see you try when your workmates want to tie you down and cut your skin off

a-a-at least I'm not fat

>Go work a physical job so you are too tired to think and I guarantee you you will never feel depressed.

Actually that makes it worse. The lethargy from depression compounded with exhaustion from labor makes every day unbearable. The only reason I got through that was because my coworkers were friendly and I drank a metric fuckton of caffeine.

test

dude just grow some balls then

I'm tired of people with there made up mental illnesses whining about this shit, just get some fresh air ffs

It isn't a down moment, though, it is a mental illness. Even if your life is going well, you don't care about anything, time passes so slowly, life feels like it is dragging you down no matter what you do.
I used to have major depressions which would last for more than 6 months. Haven't had a one since I started roiding, so I plan to cruise until I die. I would prefer to die at 60 from roiding than at 25 from lead.

Thank you. Just saved me a reply.

Just turned 31 and tried magic mushrooms twice (this spring) and it's really helped with my daily anxiety and overall stress. I DON'T recommend tripping if you're really in a bad place mentally, but they have literally changed my life.

What seems to be the problem?
Take them one by one around the corner.
Beat the shit out of them until they are bloody and begging you to stop, and then kick some more and more until they can't breathe anymore.
Carry a knife or a gun when they confront you as a gang.
If knife: hold it into left hand with right leg forward. Open with a right (or dominant hand)
then proceed to stab one of them with left. Get this right and they will run off.
If a gun: shoot in the leg,tell them not to move or you will shoot, shoot again regardless again the leg, tell them not to move, approach one of them and put a gun in their mouth.Play with them, tell them to think about what they were doing, and tell them to think of their lives.
Then let them all go.
They will realize you are batshit crazy and won't dare to take approach to you because YOU ARE NOT AN EASY TARGET ANYMORE.

Your problem is that you're doing nothing, just "hoping" that things will change.
Shrinks can't help if you are not willing to walk half the way.
Do little steps, know that no one will take care of you or your happiness and that you have to forge your own. Good luck, we're all gonna make it

I did. Im just saying that that's not a good solutuon to fighting depression like suggested it was.

Depressionfag here.

The way depression manifests itself is slightly different for different people, but in general, depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Saying "just get over it", or "try being happier" is about as effective a treatment as saying "walk it off" to someone with a broken leg.

Personally, my depression manifests itself physically and emotionally.

Physically, I am always tired. Being in frustrating or difficult situations especially exhausts me. I'm exhausted to the point where I constantly oversleep, and feel like napping throughout the day. Cognitively, it's like if someone were to go a day without sleeping, I experience the same mental fog and exhaustion constantly.

Emotionally, it deadens me. It's not specifically being "sad" about everything, it's more being "numb". Things that should make me happy feel meh. Things that should upset me feel meh. Everything feels exactly the same to me.

This tends to mess with my daily life a lot. I don't feel the urge to get out of bed, and would rather just sleep all day, even if I know I have something to do. I skip class, work, and assignments, even though I know they're important.

This juxtaposition is the worst part, and it's hard to describe. If I know something is important to me, and not doing it is negatively affecting my financial, educational, or career situations, why do I ignore it and shrug it off? Most people with depression are acutely aware that what they do in life is negatively affecting them. But the disease pretty much drains you of your will and energy to do anything.

It's really hard to accept for most people, the person with it as well. I'm extremely self-critical. Forgetting a small thing in my routine, even if it's unimportant, will make me criticize myself more than necessary.

Cont.

Its the feminization of modern men.
This shit doesnt happen to poor people in 3rd world countries.

This happens in modern and rich societys. Men are becoming pussy. They become weak and pathetic, resulting in them crying over every little ity bity thing.

They are depressed because they werent thaught to be strong. Modern society is cool and fun, but it also breeds weak and pathetic human specimens.

Having depression is something that's cost me friends, family, and career opportunities. But for me, the worst part of depression is knowing, logically, that the majority of these things are salvageable and easy to fix, yet deep down, being paralyzed by the dumb irrational voice that says "Everything you want to accomplish is unachieveable, better just sleep 16 hours today and lay in bed staring at the wall for the rest of it.".

youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc

Really cheesy video, but I think that it does a good job explaining depression to people that don't have it.

And the worst thing is, people think they are "prone" to depression.
They are meant to be depressed or thats its a "disease".

>chemical inbalance

Yes because you are a fucking faggot and you live a shitty unhealthy unactive lifestyle. I would be depressed too if i treated myself like that.

>also reported because this shit belongs to /r9k/ not Veeky Forums

I was massively depressed for about five years. It was just a culmination of a series of shitty things that made me just not care anymore. Failed out of school because I wasn't mature enough to live on my own, my best friend of 16 years killed himself in a hypermanic state, parents got divorced all within a few months of each other. I didn't want to kill myself, I just retreated to the safety of my room so I wouldn't have to deal with all the shitty parts of life. I still have minor relapses now and then but I've learned to pull myself out of them pretty well.

fuck off ass-talker

washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/11/07/a-stunning-map-of-depression-rates-around-the-world/

Third world countries have higher rates of depression. It's more an issue of not having the medical resources to diagnose it, as well as cultural barriers.

>implying

lmao as if I'm gonna read those lefty nu-male studies

go back to your fucking hugbox

You can be prone to depression
It is a disease

There are literally brain scans that show the difference between depressed and non-depressed brains

You're ignoring decades of research and centuries of observation because "hurr hurr you just have an unactive lifestyle"

>Hurr neurology and biology is lefty nu-male

The physical and cognital attributes you mentioned are similiar to mine. I can hardly do a heavy mental task, and after that I feel mentally drained. Physically I can play sports like a horse,I have lots of energy, but when its time to just study talk to people, walk around, then I'm almost constantly fatigued. Also do you find to slur or mispronounce words more often? Tbw I dont even know if I have depression or not.

No I'm saying those studies obviously are as they disagree with my viewpoint which has been backed by many doctors I've spoken with on /pol/

>Also do you find to slur or mispronounce words more often?

Not typically, although I imagine that it could be an issue with mental fugue. I find that when I'm not taking my medication, my mind isn't as sharp, which leads to me being unable to recall certain words or points of discussion. Generally I have a frazzled mind.

If you think you have depression, I suggest visiting your doctor about it. There's symptom checklists they'll have you go through, and depending on your comfort and severity, you can be prescribed medication, counselling, or both.

Yeah you can't understand it until you've experienced it, it gets so strong it's almost like a physical pain and you want to kill yourself because you want it to stop, not because your life is shitty.

What depression actually does:

>slows down your entire body
>fatigued all the time
>no desire to live
>unable to enjoy anything at all
>process can get to the point where you're a vegetable

Depression is basically this: anxiety tires you the fuck out, and this fatigue of the body and soul is called depression. It's the flipside of anxiety.

And no, you can't imagine it. It's even hard to remember. I've had two majour bouts of it a decade ago, and it was pure hell. I'd rather have cancer than go through this again, not even kidding. Tfoo tfoo tfoo.

Thank you.

My brain is literally chemically imbalanced, and I use medication to compensate.

I don't usually get buttmad at people that don't understand it.
It's hard to understand if you have never really experienced it.
But saying that I don't have anything to be depressed about and thinking that means I'm making it up or an attention whore is just so damn ignorant

Next time do some/ANY research before spouting off about things you've never experienced.

That's exactly it. I'm so tired of suffering for no reason. I have all I need to succeed yet I'm so depressed I struggle to leave the house. Every time I wake up I feel disappointment. I just want to have fun and not suffer for a day. My doctor told me suicide was a permanent solution to temporary problems but I'm starting to wonder if it's true anymore

>youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc
this is literally my life for 10 years. I'm seeing a doctor next week.

It happens outside if the 1st world, depressed ruskies and nips just end up killing themselves before they're added to any depression statistic.

>My doctor told me suicide was a permanent solution to temporary problems but I'm starting to wonder if it's true anymore
Did that same doctor prescribe you anything or just give you advice? Because being on drugs can suck for a bit but it can also make things awesome once you get used to it.

I've been on different anti depressants for the last couple years. Still no real improvement in my situation

Sounds like me, maybe I do indeed have depression. The part about hard to recall words or points of discussion hits hard for me.

Keep trying then, there are a lot out there and they all seem to work better or worse for different people. I was on hella things myself until I finally got onto Wellbutrin (and a small cocktail of mood stabilizers because I'm bipolar 1).

Also my advice is to never go cold turkey on them, I've had the worst of times with that.

>Just turned 31 and tried magic mushrooms twice (this spring) and it's really helped with my daily anxiety and overall stress. I DON'T recommend tripping if you're really in a bad place mentally, but they have literally changed my life.

damn user I fucking love to read this, it's what I always recommend to people, it worked so good for me too, psychedelics really give you back that spark of life

I'm really happy for you bro

Can't wait to give those a try. I'm still struggling to find some unfortunately but I'm hoping they can help me too. I'm glad to see it worked well for so many people

Are you seriously suggesting that you can get over schizophrenia by keeping yourself busy?

I hope this is just trolling.

be careful

I was mentally sound before my first trip, ever since I can't handle stress as well and sometimes wake up confused and scared

good luck tho man

I'm at the point where it can't get much worst. I don't even care if they fuck me up. I'll do anything for some peace and happiness

Make sure you have someone you trust w/ experience watching over your trip.

Speaking as someone who has been 5150'd and stuck hanging out with schizophrenics for a few days - there is no amount of busy work that keeps delusions, voices, and hallucinations away. Serious chemical imbalances in the brain are simply not in the same category as sprained ankles.

Not too surprising. For mild depression SSRIs don't perform better than placebo. Look into ketamine, there are some clinical trials offering it as a treatment. There's the added benefit that it works instantly.

If you can still post on Veeky Forums, you're not at your worst.

You know how I can tell you're underage?
Me and all my buddies were waaay 'into philosophy' when we were in middle school, and came up with bullshit like this.
You haven't had anything that terrible happen in your life.
Or maybe you're _actually_ just retarded.
Probably both.

if you are at this point, I recommend you go for a low dose of psychedelics, they may hurt you if you are really fucked up mentally and do too much of them

but if you really want an easy and fast fix I recommend you do ketamine instead user

It may sound crazy bro but google something about its antidepressant properties and see for yourself

It worked REALLY well for me, and I didn't even know about its properties then, I just wanted to get fucking blasted so I could forget how horrible I was feeling with myself. Little did I know that this feeling of ease and satisfaction I got was going to last for months

Coming from someone who's dealt with this in my family - You have it backwards.

People who are suicidal often aren't basing their decision on "will ending my life relieve MY pain and suffering". These people (not all, but a considerable portion) often feel that their existence/life is actively harming or holding back the ones they love, causing OTHER people pain simply by their being alive. They can't overcome that burden of guilt and genuinely feel like the end of their life would mean an improvement to others. It truly is that simple, I hope you understand OP.

There's a reason the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders exists. Take at least an intro level psych class, it will broaden your empathy skills, perspective, and make you a much wiser person in general.

Not that user, but you completely missed his point.
The point is that the co-workers don't want to do any of that, they just want to get through their shift with a minimum of fuss.

You have the reading comprehension of a toddler.

what is considered "mild depression"

Think of mild spicy compared to hot spicy

>mfw I legit saw this post after I posted mine

did you try it yourself user? I was truly amazed the day after I took my trip, it was like if someone switched off a button in my head

at first I thought that I just needed a night off of my head with some friends and drugs, but then I looked into ketamines antidepressant properties and I shat bricks

it really is an amazing drug

so no depression vs actual depression?

When I think of mild depression I think of someone who is sad for a few weeks because of some shit happened.