Is 1/2/3/4 pl8 achievable on Starting Strength?

Is 1/2/3/4 pl8 achievable on Starting Strength?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7TB0PpIGcX0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it's good to start getting strong.

Jeez lowbar is embarassing

Looks like a fucking good morning

Started in mid january on gslp (almost the same shit as ss)

Got 1pl8 ohp for 4 rep
200lb bench for 6 (i am chestlet)
35lb chin up for 5
I dont squat or deadlift because i am a tremendous faggot, but i hip thrust 275x6

If you remember to eat and sleep, sure.

youtube.com/watch?v=7TB0PpIGcX0

>only doing one type of squat
Disappointing, famiglia

Highbar or box squats is enough, if you want to do a goodmorning do one

Depends. Some people who have more talent/athletic background can ride beginner progression pretty high, but someone with a sedentary background probably won't be able to linearly progress that high.

if you actually do SS, you could probably achieve that in 3-6 months.

>Is 1/2/3/4 pl8 achievable on Starting Strength?
it's not only achievable, it's below average for an average young guy IF he does the program correctly. I'm not very athletic and I was doing more than 1/2/3 for 3x5 by the end of the program. I didn't get to 4pl8x5 deadlift, but I could have gotten at least one rep if I wanted to.

>didn't get to 4pl8x5 deadlift
did you stop or change to some program with less/other leg work?

Stats?

I don't know if I could get to 1/2/3/4 at my current weight without putting on about 40 pounds (5'10" 150), but deadlift and OHP are my strongest exercises at 110/315.

I am not DTP right because I have gained only a little weight since I started SS, but my lifts have still gone up from empty bar to 3x5 110 ohp 1.5 bench 2 plate squat 3 plate deadlift. I look better too, so I had a bit of recomp versus just gaining weight.

I'm doing texas method now. I'm not saying I never got to 4pl8, but I couldn't do it on SS.

i got 1/2/3/4 in 1 year of random split training,
now i ohp 175 bench 245 squat 410 and deadlift 500, got there in another year using texas method.
i know my upper body is shit but i have shoulder issues

Yes, but only if you modify it.

Don't squat every day once you hit 2pl8. Doing the big 3 consistently with squats every day leaves you with less energy to spend on properly doing big volume.

The key point is to eat a lot. Its the one thing that people really underestimate. You'll make gains like fucking crazy.

They call it starting strength but most intermediate routines call for the big 3 anyway.

if you stay at 150lbs at your height you can forget about hitting the numbers people typically hit on SS. it's your choice. at your height you should be around 190-200lbs at the end of the program if you do it right.

3 to 6 months to get a 225 bench 315 squat and 405 deadlift? I'm all for hard work and noob gains but I dont believe that. 9 months to a year maybe but 6 month's at the longest is really ambitious even for 1rm and if you had normal genetics and good squat and deadlift bone structures

I can tell you haven't done SS with proper nutrition. those numbers are totally possible for someone with average genetics.

bait?
Bro I could bench 225 when i was 18 and only within 4 months of training. I weighted 180lbs tho

if you do SS strickly, with the appropriate diet and sleep schedule, 1234 is definitely possible by 6 months.

For example, if you start the bench press with just the bar, and do a progressive load of 10lbs per workout, you would hit 2plate on the 13th week, almost the 3rd month. This is assuming you eat all the calories you need, drink all the water you need and get all the sleep you need. If you increase it by 5lbs per workout, you'll get there in 6 months.

5'9 180. Started 190, cut to 175 then slowly rose to 180 eating at """maintenance""" when the progression slowed from cutting so hard (was running 850-1000 kcal deficit for a while)

The progression is already stalling on ohp again, so i think i am going to substitute ohp for push press, because symmetricstrength says push press is my weakest lift and ohp is my strongest

/blog

I have been lifting under 6 months and my bench 1rm is supposedly 230 (according to a calc)

I started SS in october 2014. During march 2015 I hit 1/2/3 all for 3x5. In may 2015 I stopped SS and my best deadlift was 165kgx5, my best squat was 3x5x168kg, press 3x5x63kg and bench 3x5x102kg.

if you start bench press with just the bar you're doing it wrong. SS doesn't tell you to start anything with just the bar, and if you're so weak that you have to then it's unlikely you'll progress that fast.

best squat was 3x5x148kg, not 168kg.

I started at 180 5'8 in January and am the same weight now, but lower bf %
OHP(started in Feb) 95 1 rep max -> 115 3 rep max
Olympic squat, 65 5 rep max-> 245 3 rep max
Front squat( started in March) , 95 5 rep max -> 225 3 rep max
Bench( did this a few months before hand but stopped benching I'm Feb, but started again this week) , 115 3 rep max -> 185 3 rep max
Deadlift( stopped between Feb till last week) 225 5 rep max -> 315 5 rep max

>box squats
end yourself

why do autistic faggots like you always have to hyperfocus on one little bit of an example and have a autism fit over it? I was just trying to make a point

>SS doesn't tell you to start anything with just the bar
what does SS tell you to start with them rippletits?

1/2/3/4 is achievable on your first day in the gym

Just not by you.

I never start with the bar.
I put the plates on my erect penis.

The lowest front squat imaginable. (Or should I start doing testicle tie squats?)

>SS doesn't tell you to start anything with just the bar

try tumblr

That is as a warm up, not as a working set.

You are either legit retarded or being misleading on purpose

try to actually read the book instead of searching for words in a pdf. we're not talking about what you do for warmups, but what your work sets will be the first day.

>whether learning the lift for the first time or...

Typically those who can tended to have athletic backgrounds to some degree, compared to those of us who can't because we sat around playing video games as teenagers.

Generally speaking the former will never even try to understand the plight of the latter.

ok, now find the part that tells you how to pick your weights the first day.

We're talking about where you START on the first day, not what your last set on the first day will be.

highbar/front all u need son. i had to do boxsquats for 8 months when i had a back injury however

You're not going to keep adding 10 lbs to the bar every workout on bench. Trust me.

I envy your stats and I'm not even there after over 1 year of lifting.

Why are you people so full of shit? 1/2/3/4 is better than most people ever get to, and definitely above a fucking beginner.

>just add 5 lb to the bar every time and in 6 month you bench 2pl8
no, you can't do keep on doing that. around 1 pl8 people stall and plateau

>i did weight training for 5 years, took roids, and now I can bench press 4 plates after 4 months of SS!!!!111!
If you're already a fuck with lots of training under your belt it doesn't fucking count. When people talk about beginner program timetables it's assumed the lifter is new or they wouldn't be on a beginner program.

All you faggots bullshitting and e-statting really confuses people that want to genuinely share progress. If you're new it's going to take you at least a year for 1/2/3/4 for reps and you'll probably finish SS before then.

no, we're not.

the discussion was about how fast your progression would be. you increase your working set by 5/10 pounds, not your first lift of the day

you finding your working set on the first day is the equivalent of warming up on your other days anyway

>highbar/front all u need son
Lowbar/fron would be better

I would envy those stats too, although the faggot forget to mention one of these three
>on roids
>make up e-stats
>been training before going on a 'beginner' program and then bragging about progress on beginner program

>We're talking about where you START on the first day
we're obviously not. look at the original post:

>if you start the bench press with just the bar, and do a progressive load of 10lbs per workout, you would hit 2plate on the 13th week, almost the 3rd month
this statement would make no sense unless you do your work sets with the empty bar the first day

GOMAD, bro. GOMAD.

for 1rm, yes.
for working weight, probably not.

keep in mind if you were a shut-in loser during your childhood/teenage years, you can't expect to be as strong or progress as fast as someone who has had a background of sports or manual labor.

i hit 135x3 ohp, 225x2 bench, 315x1 squat, and 365x1 deadlift in 7.5 months

>inb4 shit deadlift
i know

>the faggot forget to mention one of these three
no, none of those were true. if you had said
>got a little chubby
then yes, it would be true. I was not lean by the end of it, but it wasn't too bad and cutting wasn't that hard. you're not getting those numbers while keeping your abs, but you can get your abs back later if neccesary.

thats the fucking warmup you twat not what youre doing 3x5

Don't do GOMAD (or fall for the hard bulk meme) unless you want to be an ugly fat unathletic powerlifter. Those of us who enjoy having sex with girls and playing actual sports like to have a BF% below 30

you're not that far off, though. are you saying that your training and diet was optimal during those 7.5 months and that nobody should expect to do any better than you did?

I've never lifted before, but I've been doing sports for a while. After 5 months of SS I'm at 130/195/295/345 for working sets, my progress hasn't been good since I had to correct my form a couple of times. Either way in a month Im sure 1/2/3/4 would be doable for at least 1RM. It also depends on your initial BW

SS basically requires you to get a little chubby if you want to do it properly. not 30%, though, more like 15-20%. if the thought of temporarily losing your abs is too painful then don't do it, but then you should also stay out of any thread talking about the strength progress you can expect on SS.

Right, so in 6 months you went from never touching a barbell to benching 225 for reps. You'd think that I'd see lots of actual irl people that dont just shitpost repping out 225 since a beginner can get it in 6 months on SS. Oh wait.

wanna know how I know you have no idea how to estimate bf%?

What routine you did after SS while cutting?

got it, so you're just a retard. kys (kill yourself)

>in 6 months you went from never touching a barbell to benching 225 for reps
correct

>You'd think that I'd see lots of actual irl people that dont just shitpost repping out 225 since a beginner can get it in 6 months on SS
you do realize than 95% of the people in public gyms are completely clueless? the whole point here is that SS is a very good routine that gives way better results than the average guy in a public gym will see. it's not only SS, though. join a good powerlifting gym and you'll get a routine and advice that will give you the same results. it's not incredible, but it requires you to do shit right, unlike the people you see IRL.

so what exactly about that statement gets you worked up and proves that 3-6 months is unreasonable to hit 1234?

I did lyle's rapid fat loss diet. the routine I did was a simple 2 day/week routine with low volume and high intensity. I tried to keep as much strength as possible while losing weight as quickly as possible. after that I started texas method

wanna know how I know you have never done SS?

not really. i switched off from SS to a 6 day PPL because I didn't like doing lowerbody so often (which explains my poverty deadlift). i feel if i bulked hard and did SS longer i'd be a bit stronger, but i wanted more upper body and volume in general.

i got around 9h of sleep every night, and ate pretty shittily to be honest (fast food 4x a week)

ive played soccer and basketball as a kid so i came into the gym with a decent enough base (i could dl 225 for 1 with shitty form), and currently play rugby.

not to say anyone can't or shouldn't expect more than this, ive seen guys put up a 2 plate bench their first day in the gym.

Almost everyone trains bench. Since SS is basically just the simple compounds, your bench improvement is coming from doing bench which doesn't make you a special snowflake. Weighlifting isn't a fucking art, just lift the weights and over time you will improve.

Nobody I know in real came close to repping 225 after 6 months. I sure as fuck didn't and I went to the gym consistently and ate/slept fine. However when I open up Veeky Forums, a place where all the pics I see are skinnyfat DYELs everyone is out there repping 225 ez.
It's all BS and I feel bad for actual beginners that are getting trolled and would get discouraged at their progress.

strawman. I never said that. I said SS (unlike SL) doesn't make you start with the bar the first day.

you can reach 1234 on SS in 3-6 months. I did it myself, and so have a shit ton of other people.

Yeah m8 because you totally wouldn't stall after a few weeks of adding 10-20lbs a week to your bench working sets

Have you ever lifted?

>Almost everyone trains bench
yes, and they almost always do it wrong. wrong technique and far too many reps, sets and exercises for their level of training advancement.

>just lift the weights and over time you will improve.
sure, but some ways are much faster. it's also not uncommon to see people do the same stupid shit for years and never get anywhere, so it's not always true that you'll improve over time.

join an actual powerlifting gym and you'll see that 2 plates in 6 months is NOT SPECIAL. you seem to think that you can just do whatever in the gym and you'll get optimal progress. you won't. some routines are much better than others, and the importance of nutrition cannot be overstated.

Honestly this is how I know you're a DYEL shitposter. The autistic focus on reps/sets is so misplaced. Whether you do 3x3 or 6x8 guess what, you are going to progress at roughly the same rate. Inb4 1 study with slight variation, meta studies show that it really doesn't matter.

Sure some people have bad technique, but most can bench fine. Some routines are better than others, but anyone claiming they went from nothing to 225 reps in 6 months is making shit up regardless of what their routine is.

sure, buddy. you're right. you're making the most optimal progress. you're doing everything right. it's not possible to progress faster than you. nobody can achieve anything, and if someone says they have done anything better than the general population they are lying. all routines are beautiful. every routine produces the same results.

let us know in a couple of years when you get that 2 plate bench!

I'm 5'11 163lbs and have 130lb 5rm for bench press after 3 weeks of SS. Is this good progress?

Kek
225 in 6 months is doable doing any routine which involves LP, if you add weight every 2 months, then yeah...you will never get there

> but anyone claiming they went from nothing to 225 reps in 6 months is making shit up regardless of what their routine is.
lol

let me quote my original post and tell me what got you so butt blasted
>if you do SS strickly, with the appropriate diet and sleep schedule, 1234 is definitely possible by 6 months.

>For example, if you start the bench press with just the bar, and do a progressive load of 10lbs per workout, you would hit 2plate on the 13th week, almost the 3rd month. This is assuming you eat all the calories you need, drink all the water you need and get all the sleep you need. If you increase it by 5lbs per workout, you'll get there in 6 months.

what does SS make you start with? Where did I say you have to start at the bar? Why do you have to repeat my argument?

if you're stalling after a few weeks, YNDTP. If it takes you more than 6months to reach 2plate, you fucked up somewhere

what was it three weeks ago? That should answer your question.

I am not that guy, but i got to 1/2/3/4 after 8 months.

I am 27 tho, and I have always been athletic and it is not like I had never done a push up, pull up, or worked out but it took 8 months on a bro split to hit those weights x3 reps.

If some skinny faggot who's never been to a gym before could do 1/2/3/4 pl8 for reps after 6 months of lifting then it wouldn't be an achievement at all. I'm sure it happens but it's gonna take a year at least for most beginners

Stop fucking bullshitting and making noobs think they're failures because they don't match up with your implausible stats

first of all, the progression stops being 10 pounds after like... a week. it's 5 pounds per workout.

and you will 100% stall before 225 unless your starting point was like 1 plate and you're a fat fuck.

here's the thing, it's not like you can take some faggot on 4chen who does nothing all day long, put him in the gym for 30-60 minutes every other day and then 3-6 months later he's a stud doing 1234.

To hit 1234 in 3-6 months takes dedication and a lot of effort. Eating right takes a lot of effort. Getting into a routine where you eat right, sleep right, fit in workouts and your life is an achievement.

and no one is bullshiting them and trying to make them feel like shit. The question is is it possible to reach 1234 on SS and the answer is yes, most definitely. Not only is it possible, you can do it in 3-6 months. If you want to add modifiers like: Is it possible if I don't eat right? Is it possible if I skip work outs every now and then? Is it possible if I lag all the time during work outs? Is it possible if I don't take it seriously and do whatever the fuck I want? Then you could get worked up if someone said yes, you can even do it in 3-6 months.

see You can start with just the bar, at 5lbs per workout, and reach 225 in under six months. That gives you room to stall.

don't project your failure onto other people. If your starting point was 1plate, you'd hit 225 in under 3 months.

Most people don't start at one plate
Most people consistently hit 3000 calories a day

Depends on your bodyweight

>Most people don't start at one plate
never said they did
>Most people consistently hit 3000 calories a day
that's nice.

why do you have to argue? Why can't you just accept that you were wrong and just let it go? No one knows who you are, no one is going to care if you just stopped posting. Why are you getting so worked up?

yeah, but still 1/2/3/4 in six moths is not imposible

no, it does not give you any room to stall. if you increase your bench by 5lbs every bench workout, that means you increase it by 7.5 pounds/week. that is EXACTLY 6 months from the bar.

no one in the history of SS has done SS for 6 months not stalling once.

alright user, you're right. You know everyone who did SS ever and know the results. No one is capable of doing 225lbs in 6 months no matter what. Everyone will stall because you said so. Are you happy now?

you heard it here first folks, linear progression is bullshit.

"Not impossible" is right but being incredibly disingenuous. You can't put the guy who's played sports all his life on SS, have him start at 140 pounds and say that because he reached 225 in 6 months it's something everyone should do and that if you don't reach 1/2/3/4 in 6 months you did something wrong.

Take a true beginner, someone starting around 45-70 pounds and he will never, ever reach a 2 plates bench in 6 months. Not to even mention the ridiculousness of reaching a 1 plate OHP, which is significantly harder than a two plates bench.

yes that's exactly what my post said

in other news, I've been lifting for 10 years, so I should be getting close to my 4000 pounds bench any day now.

>You can't put the guy who's played sports all his life on SS, have him start at 140 pounds and say that because he reached 225 in 6 months it's something everyone should do and that if you don't reach 1/2/3/4 in 6 months you did something wrong

With that I agree, either way 1/2/3/4 should be doable for most people for at leas 1RM at the end of SS

>"Not impossible" is right
you can stop posting now.

>end of SS
how is that defined?

2 stalls/deloads, on the third you switch programs

across all lifts or just one?

Guys? Might not be the right thread, but I'm wondering what weight the average guy start lifting.
I'm 6'2" feet tall, 22years old, spent ten years being skelly mode playing vidya. I have a condition called EDS, which basically means my joints and tissues are weaker than most. I didn't start at my max capacity, except for military press and pullups. I am a bit over a month into lifting, and I'm starting to feel I'm doing this wrong. But I've had a slipped disc in my back, and two groin hernias (due to EDS/weak tissue) and I want to do it carefully.
I do/did get DOMS, start sweating, feel it while lifting, but at the low weight I'm lifting I'm feeling like I might not just gain anything. I've gained around 1 kg, and I suspect it's mostly fat.

Please help. ;_;
>tl;dr
Any resource on average starting weights to compare?
Should I just lift heavier?

yeah, see ya there

usually just the squat

there is no wrong starting weight. as long as you progress, you're doing fine.

the weight gain also doesn't come from lifting, it comes from eating. if you did gain only 1 kg in over a month, you are doing something wrong.

>I play sports and have a job as a labourer but never did bench press before. When I started my 1rm was probably around 170 alreadyon the first day but I'm just gonna pretend I was a total beginner who couldn't lift shit. 1/2/3/4 is super ez and if you dont get it in 6 months you aren't eating """""right"""""" (lol i think eating is super hard and involves more than 1g/lb protein and hitting calories so no1 can do it except me).
The thread.