Large deficits

Has anyone here had success on large caloric deficits like up to -1000? Is 12%bf the cut off point for when you're more at risk losing muscle? How did you structure this kind of cut?

never do more than 500 calories because then you're losing too much muscle

What did they mean by this?

It's a reference to the Supernatural show

Even if you're getting enough protein, lifting heavy and only running it for 4 weeks at a time?

Bumpety bump

How do I into leviathan mode?

Doing keto at 1000 kcal deficit right now, been 3 weeks and lost steady 2kg a week.

Strenght is at like 90% but I think ill get it back once I start eating more again.

I've lost some muscle but the amount of fat lost is too amazing so I don't really care about the muscle.

was like 18% bf probably

>1000kcal deficit
>lost 2kg a week

one of those numbers is wrong, and I'm guessing it's the kg.

Do you know what tells me that you've worked out 2 months max?

We're the same bf lol. So the pros greatly outweigh the cons. Are you planning to have some kind of refeed after week 4 or something? What's your structure look like?

Nice dude. I plan on doing the same but not keto. Just regular as balanced as possible.

Did a weekend refeed last week. Doing a week of refeed in about 2 weeks and then back to cutting for a few.

Started at 91kg, first goal is to get down to 80 and then I'll think about 75. Thinking of cutting slower since it's quite draining.

So far the majorite of the fat lost has been lower back, not much from front or legs, but I think I'm slowly getting there.

Good progress. Yes I imagine it would get draining eventually. I plan to have a week of eating at maintenance every 4 weeks. Hopefully this is enough to "recharge" me on my -1000 deficit

You look like your face is unattractive.

Am I supposed to give face pic now? I'm pretty good looking.

>tfw fatass from /v/ browsing Veeky Forums
>see fat shame thread
>300 lbs
>feelsbadman.jpg
>6 inches tall
>not manlet
>some hope in the world
>been running at 1200 calories for two months
>feel the muscle disappearing

Can't imagine how muscular men that aren't tubs of lard feel if they cut ridiculously.

>[Citation needed]

looks vikingmode
would go to amon amarth show with

Explain senpai

do you know what tells me you're a fucking idiot?

i'll tell you, it's the fact that you're saying that you lost ~ 15000 calories in a week despite being on a deficit that would let you lose a maximum of 7000 in a week

>implying I didn't lose any water

What is cardio ? What is working out ? What is BMR ? What is nutrient timing ? What is keto ?

please kill yourself

Your body needs energy to run on and it's never going to stop needing it until you're dead. So it's going to resort to a secondary source of energy in fat and muscle if there's not enough calories. It doesn't give a fuck if you're trying to lose fat.

>6 inches tall
>not manlet

pick one
seriously, i know you meant 6 foot. Whatever. If you are not at least 6'4" just kill yourself

Its doable, I did it as well, but the best efforts wont mean huge gains. You are lucky to get any gains at all. And you still need to work to prevent muscle loss.

So its possible do this, but its not really efficient. There is a reason why people cut and bulk (for muscle) as different stages.

On the extremer end it is very possible, and with that I mean 5 hours of sport a day, some weight lifting, and lots of cardio. I managed to have some steady gains that way while on a 50% tdee deficit. Just get enough protein after each cardio thing and you should be fine.

Whoa, nice hot tip about the body needing energy there professor, you get that from the sticky? Meanwhile for the rest of us who've been doing this for a while, if you can't manage a 1kkcal cut with minimal acceptable FFM loss you are training, eating, or resting very wrong.

You can make large deficits work in the short term, even as an advanced lifter, but it won't be easy mentally and probably wouldn't be wise to do in a particularly stressful period of your life.
I don't do them for longer than 4-5 weeks max depending on how I feel and usually for around 3.
I train 4 days a week, two consecutive on Sunday and Monday so I'd place my refeed at just over maintenance cals on Sunday, my average deficit for the other 6 days was around 1150-1200 giving me a weekly deficit of around 7000 cals.
I trained as I normally would but decreased volume by like 10-15% and very slightly bumped up the intensity on a few sets.
This let me make small strength gains for the first 1-2 weeks of the minicut and I could maintain my strength for the last part.
I usually do this to drop a few bf% quickly in the 12-18%ish range and it works fine, might work particularly well for me as I train very heavy all the time and don't need much muscle glycogen.
When you get off a cut like this it's important to not get complacent and just eat to your appetite as you will put a bunch of fat on again because you'll be extremely hungry.
There's no need to reverse diet as in the short period of time, especially with one refeed a week you won't have decreased your metabolic rate. However your maintenance will have gone down slightly because you have less weight to move around. I usually think of the next week as like an adjustment week so I don't let my appetite get the better of me and go up to 100-200 cals LESS than my old maintenance which won't be that hard after the 1100-1220 cal deficit I've just been on, then you can decide whether to lean bulk, recomp w/e
I like to cut like this assuming I haven't got exams because I prefer having faster visible results. Don't drop your fat too low or it will have an effect on your dick tho (which is temporary)

Forgot to say you'll want higher protein to help maintain muscle on such a large deficit and to keep you full.
On my last minicut I took in around 200g a day and I started at arounnd 88kg/194lb at around 18% bf

Doesn't it fuck your metabolism so when you go back to normal eating you're body absorbs and puts weight back on more easily?

Metabolic damage does happen, but it's not as much as some people make it out to be, if you only do this for 3-4 weeks and incorporate a refeed once a week it won't happen at all.

A deficit of 750 seems reasonable enough. You could also go longer than being on an 1000 cal deficit

Bumping for interest.
Also wtf is a leviathan

As long as you remain in a calorie deficit, no. You'll probably gain some water weight from the carbs tho.

I've been cutting at approximately that much on IF since May Day and lost 15 lbs (some of it will be water though as this was after some pretty extreme binging where I jumped from 175 to 180 over 5 days.

I'm pretty weak but I haven't really lost much strength either.

That back is thick as fuck.

is carb cycling a meme?

trying to get rid of this last little bit of fat

It's calorie cycling by another name.

If you replace those carbs with more protein (often the case), the TEF of the diet goes up.

Physiologically it's a pretty dumb idea, low glycogen status isn't good for training intensity nor is it good on a protein signalling level.

But if it allows you to adhere to a hypocaloric diet, go for it

When I was really fat I cut 1000cals on days I was sedentary and 500 on lifting days, made the process faster but I lost a lot of muscle

SICK bizzack.

>if you are not within the top 5th percentile of men on earth kill yourself
6'4 here. You're fucking retarded.

Muscle tissue is more difficult to break down and process into energy, whereas fat is already in a rather basic form already. That's why visceral fat is extremely easy to get rid of fairly quickly.

Your body prioritizes fat because of this but the process isn't 100% efficient because nothing ever is.

Thick back senpai, keep it up

How about a large deficit when you're fat as fuck?

Look up Penn Jillette's diet.

Former fatty here, I had a large 1000 cal deficit. I lost so much weight, but it did nake me lose some muscle mass from the get go. If you want to preserve muscle, do strength training and not cardio as much.