Running General

Running General.

When in the week do you guys do your long run? I've been sticking to the usual Sunday morning for the past few months.

Also, Ottawa marathon live at:
marathon.isilive.ca/

Should be ending soon

Other urls found in this thread:

coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/osteoarthritis-in-runners
everydayhealth.com/news/what-joint-docs-say-about-running/
npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees
content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html
well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/why-runners-dont-get-knee-arthritis/?_r=0
health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/on-fitness/2008/08/12/3-myths--and-1-truth--about-running-and-your-health
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I run at least 4 times a week (Monday-Thursday). I run 2 miles a day except on wed I do a 4 mile (cause the pool I go to is closed). I'd say that running at least once a week is good though, but two times is better. Try to get up to a 10 miles a week thing, with splitting up miles per day

SHOO SHOO GAINS GOBLIN

I do my long run whenever I feel mentally prepared to not just quit halfway through. Otherwise I plow through 10k's every other day.

>mfw still only 4:45/km PR for a 10K, after roughly 2000kms of running

Sup guys, anyone here have a pulled LCM (ligemantum collaterale mediale) and can tell me how long it took to heal out?

I pulled mine 5th of May and feel like offing myself whenever I try to run, the pain is too much to bear after 100 meters.

Lewd taytay always related.

Sunday is international long run day. Saturday is also acceptable if you have stuff to do on Sunday, but you should run your Saturday run on Sunday.

You need to run more and train specifics if you want faster times. I had 48 min on the 10k at 36 km per week and once I got to 60 I almost ran 40 with almost no speed work. Anyway 47-48 min for a 10k is not bad at all, keep at it

I partially tore mine alongside with meniscus from a sudden twist and it took me around 6 months but after 3 years I still have chronic pain in certain positions and I can't do one legged squats on that knee. I can run with no problem though

is the treadmill runnerfag approved?

i like using the treadmill because going on higher speeds forces me to go at that pace.

Treadmill should always be a last resource.

For actual running training, you usually don't want to go fast anyways. I think one speedwork per week should be enough. The rest of your runs should be done at a comfortable pace, no matter how slow.

I know I got significantly faster since I started doing that, instead of going at goal pace every run

Mon-Weds-Fri-Sun are 45 minutes slow, Tues is simulated 5k race (currently just under 25 mins), Thurs is hill repeats, Sat is 100 minutes slow (currently just over 9 miles). I am 190 lb fatass (down from 330).

Do you guys do hill sprints? I've been doing 3 sets of 8x10 second sprints with about 4 minute's rest between the sets, and the rest between individual sprints being the walk back downhill.

Trying to work on maximum power and keeping my body fat down during bulking. Is this routine good or just really stupid?

Not him but even with proper form and increasing incline to 1?

what about decline?

That only helps to get closer to running outside. But, it can't get as close as actually running outside....

Only reason to use boringmill is for hills training if you live in a flat as hell area

Incline to 1% puts the energy level at about the same as running outside on a flat surface. However, running on a treadmill will never adapt your joints the way running outside will. The belt motion reduces impact. Treadmill is fine if you just need to cut weight, but if you want to be a runner/raver you have to run outside.

Runner/racer. Fuck my phone.

To look at it another way, can I expect to have less joint issues down the line?

Who /c25k/ here?

I'm on a cut, and thought fuck it I may as well get round to being able to run 3 miles at the same time. I lift 3x weekly and I'm also on week 3 of couch to 5k. I don't go crazy on going as hard as I can, this is just about a fun version of bike cardio.

Might cap it off with a proper 'group 5k' like Park Run or something. Maybe one of those faggot 'tough mudders'.

>tuff mudder
don't be a faggot user

Maybe, maybe not. The body adapts to stress. Running on the road makes the joints strong enough to handle it. There are 80 year old road runners. Depends on genetics and how often etc. If you are worried or hurting, try swimming or biking.

I j-just want to run with qt p2ts user, honest.

my heart feels like it's taking up all the space in my chest when i try to run for more than 2 minutes.

If you want to run with qts, run a real race. Most of the girls there will have better bodies anyways.

Ran a 14:00 2 mile on Friday. Working my way up to 6 miles per week. Then I'd like to bump that up to 10 then 20 maybe 30. Ideally I'd like to run 2 miles in 11:00 or lower.

Tips on getting faster? I used to hate running but I'm really realizing that its not hard, you just have to not stop.

I bought tights to wear them under shorts to go running and now I wear them all the time because it's so fucking cold where I live

Are there an equivalent for the upper body?

Every pair of shoes I use tend to wear off a lot from the heel, what am I doing wrong? Also, what cheap brand is the best brand to buy?

Is it a good idea to run on the rest days on a lifting routine? Ive started doing SS after doing C25K for a while but when I tried running the day after a lift I felt like I had way less stamina. Would running defeat the purpose of the rest day or would doing both in tandem make me more athletically balanced in the long run?

this is a good question, someone answer

Running:hurts my feet
Make my ankles bleed
Hurt my knees
Hurt my hips
Hurt my shins

Literally never had leg issues until I started running. Never swimming, biking, hiking, heavy squatting. Running is shit

Pro tip: you are doing it wrong.

Human being are designed to run... You just had bad form.

you are heel-striking, not necessarily a bad thing, You foot is getting ahead of your hips when it first contacts the ground.

To fix it, you need to increase your cadence, and shorten stride. This will result in your foot hitting the ground under your hips. Takes some time to get this to work

Thanks breh, what about the shoe brand thing?

What do you guys wear when its starts getting cold?

I find that once I've been running for 5mins or so, any hoodie or long sleeve I'm wearing gets uncomfortable from sweat and stuff, yet I'm still cold from wind and temp.

i dont know whats good on the cheap side, I use Adidas boost, saucony zealots. You should look at their lines, also New Balance has some cool tech in their new shoes.

Skin. Try to survive through the pain for the first 10 minutes, after that it's all a smooth ride.

>wanting to waste time, effort, and money on women participating in an event so they can put pictures on facebook

you're better than that, user

Getting a pair of sneakers for casual trail running and wondering which of these two look slightly less hideous or if anyone had experience with either.

Left: Brooks Adrenaline ASR 12 GTX

Right: Asics GT-2000 4 Trail

thanks family

Why do you retards do this long distance running bs? You do realize you are killing your gains and fucking your joints (good luck with that in your 40+s). Cardio is good but don't be a retard and do shit like cycling or swimming instead.

just have like 2 minutes of cold then once you're into the run you heat up quick

You don't know who Jack Lalane is, it seems.

I thought week one of c25k was running 30 seconds and walking 30 seconds . And doing that for like 20 minutes total.

I don't know if I can run 2 mins straight..

You can, you just don't know it yet

Any good apps you use?

i can see how running can make your feet/shins sore if you don't run often, but how in the fuck do your ankles bleed?

> Torturing newbies with a harder than normal c25k program

Why is that even necessary? There was nothing wrong with the old program. All you're going to do is put people off.

>decline run
>do it anyways

In all seriousness I'm really pumped for the 5K season. Opened up last weekend at 18:56, hoping to hit low 17's by the end of the fall. The most important thing I have found is to equally mix moderate pace/distance and sprints, and avoid using a track.

Sounds like you are landing on the heel directly. Land between the ball of your feet and the middle. Think about how a cat prances about. You need to have what I can only describe as "roll over."

I'm a bigger fan of how the brooks look and a bigger fan of brooks in general, maybe I'm biased. I haven't used or heard anything about either of those shoes, though.

10 weeks for 5k?

Untrained my first run was 10k. That was as a spooky pack a day skeleton.

heh

Untrained my first run was a marathon and I fueled it on wisky

If you think that's some boisterous braggy remark you really have to reevaluate what kind of a easygoing on yourself pussy you are.

Any man, be it not a fat sack of shit - can run 10k.

My first ever run was 20k after heart surgery, two packs a day and being 300lbs

Why does it feel like all the lactic acid are in my ankles? Like, they get stiff as fuck.

Anyone else do barefoot / vibrams running? I'm working on my distance atm and did a 10k yesterday.

Calves are a bit tight today but I'm considering trying a short run to see if it helps.

Gonna pick up running on my rest days Bois.

Someone post the original C25k please?

How fast do I run? Do I track my heart rate?

Thanks guys. Will give updates Tuesday.

This.
When you first start running you see 10k as a sort of grail. Do a few 5k's and you easily do a 10k as long as you pace yourself properly.

How many barefoot/vibram runners you see during (ultra)marathons.

There's your answer. Wear shoes you hipster.

coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I looked around for a few, and this is the one that makes the more sense. I'd also add a 5 minute walk at the end of every workout as well.

Run at a comfortable pace, basically that you feel that you can talk without gasping for air every phrase.

I don't think you need to track your heartrate yet, but keeping it on the moderate zone (145-155 for me) should be ok.

Good luck user :)

Ok guys, exams are almost over, and I can get back to lifting then. But I've been telling myself I'll start cardio for months, and haven't done it more than once every few weeks.

I wanna run a 5k, or even a 10k some time at the end of this year.

Should I go with c25k? Or is there a better app out there?

Lifting is priority, and I'm bulking right now, but I'm willing to spend 3 nights a week doing some form of cardio. Can even take it up to 4, if it'll help.

With shoes is obviously easier so anyone who wants to hit the highest distance / best time will wear shoes on that day. This doesn't prove Vibrams useless. They're for training, not for competition.

Analogy: You also don't see anyone powerlifting without powerlifter shoes. And yet powerlifters can benefit from training without shoes or with different shoes.

For the record, I'm skeptical about doing ALL your training in Vibrams.

>.gif
Kill yourself please

C25k is a good start if you haven't been running lately. If you feel that it is too basic, you can always skip a few workouts until you feel you are at a good level.

>I know I got significantly faster since I started doing that, instead of going at goal pace every run
How does that work? I mean how does running, say, 10k at a comfortable speed improve your times more than going all out every time?

I run on Tuesdays (when I do my intervals and tempos), Friday (6 miles, no speedwork), and Saturday (long distance 12-20 mies) run. The Friday and Saturday is part of my cumulative fatigue training.

Someone more knowledgeable than me can correct me if I'm wrong, but here is how I understand it.

The general idea is to make your body used to running. So running at an easy pace allows you to run for longer, which means an increased mileage per week.

Since you are running at an easy pace, your muscles recover faster. On the other hand, if you run at goal pace every time, you're damaging your muscles faster than they can recover (efficiently), and you end up in a plateau after a few weeks.

The thing about all this, is that you start noticing that your "comfortable pace" slowly gets faster and faster, which means that when you're in a race situation, you'll be able to push yourself faster as well.

Correct since your vo2max has went up and your muscles have adapted to the beatinngs.

The docs tested my meniscus if it was torn but all the tests were negative.
I have a sort of pulsating pain though.

If I was gonna take a wild guess, only the MCL is partially torn. But considering there is no swelling or bleeding, it should be fairly minor and heal out within a few weeks.

How do I stop my underwear from riding up my taint when running?

don't wear any

Those Brooks have a Goretex liner, that's what the GTX stands for. They'll be waterproof but won't breath well. Go with the Asics, or the Brooks Cascadia (non-GTX) or the Adrenaline ASR.

Running is like lifting in that it only fucks up your joints if you do it with bad form. The exact same arguments apply.

What routine can i do while i'm trying to get better at running, preferably calisthenics? Also how can i avoid shin splints, bought new shoes but still hurts to run, will it get better if i run over grass instead of concrete?

For a detailed explanation from both a practical programming and exercise physiology perspective, read Daniels' Running Formula, preferably third edition or later.

The short version is that the physiological systems that allow you to run faster 5ks and 10ks respond to different types of stimuli. Paces faster and slower than, say, 5k pace allow you to stimulate your body this way. Your ability to clear lactic acid from your body during a race, for example, is improved with running at around half marathon race pace. Your top speed is improved by sprinting. So you do a variety of paces and distances to maximize your fitness. Think of it this way; you would train differently if you wanted to hit 10 reps at one plate on the bench vs 1 rep and 185. There's some crossover there in terms of what you'd be doing, but they'd require different training.

Grass is a better surface to run on than concrete, yes. Just watch for uneven ground so you don't twist and ankle.

Thanks for the advice anons, I already planned on doing some sprints and uphill to increase my speed, I guess I should also do slower but longer runs, I already started plateauing on my 10ks and 5ks.

lol you dumbfucks

There is a difference of running as a skeleton and someone with an extra 70 pounds on them.

The largest I have been is 265lbs when I played football. Nose Tackle. I have always fuckin hated running even now when I weigh 180lbs. I look like a twig compared to before because 180lbs on my body type is fuckin nothing.

Some people just do not have a runners body. When I lift and train I just get huge which makes running even harder. People with skeleton bodies are natural runners.

Just reached My goal of 10k in 30 min. I Will never make it annons

Nigga you need different shoes

Not the user you replied too but I usually pick a hottie to run behind at 5 and 10ks. I just focus on her hot ass running and then when I am finished I go home and jerk off like crazy to it.

>killing your gains
Don't care about. If I did, I'd lift more often.

>fucking your joints
runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/osteoarthritis-in-runners
everydayhealth.com/news/what-joint-docs-say-about-running/
npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees
content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html
well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/why-runners-dont-get-knee-arthritis/?_r=0
health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/on-fitness/2008/08/12/3-myths--and-1-truth--about-running-and-your-health

tl;dr--running strengthens your knees. Just don't be a jackass about it, go slow, make sure you have good form, and don't fucking ego-run as it leads to injuries just like ego-lifting.

That's an awfull lot of words to say "but not for us manlets".

because I like it

You realise by giving yourself no rest days you will never Improve.

Just an injury waiting to happen

>do 5k run at night
>3.5k in, spot some asshole getting into my path out of nowhere, about 100m ahead of me
>pick up the pace to outrun this old looking bastard
>get to about 10m from him
>it's actually a cute girl
>almost sprint past her for the patriarchy

only the 4th time I'm doing 5k but last time was 32:45 and this one was 30:40, this is much more fun than running 2k, 2k is fucking dogshit you gotta go fast and everything hurts.

Not in the case of running no. It's perfectly fine to run every day as long as you don't go all out every day. I am running 6 days a week for the past 5 years and on the free day I lift (legs). I feel better that I ever did

>tfw new shoes gave me a morale boost that shaved off 30 seconds off my 1k time

Ran 4,6km last week in 19:30, speed is not too far from 1k speed (~4:00), so I guess I need some more speedwork. Should for example 4x1000m intervals be good or should i focus on sprints?

4x800m would be better I think. Also, your long run should be at least a 15k

It depends on your goal. For example if you want to do a 5k in 20 min flat you could train to run 1000x5 repetition in 3:30 each for example. You can apply this to a lot of shorter distances. If your goal race is a 5k (which is run at vo2max) you want to train for vo2max, that means km or mile reps (basically longer intervals of around 5 min). But you should mix it up. Do 400, 1000 reps, do mile tempos or 20 min tempos etc.

Everything should hurt for a 5k, you're not pushing hard enough.

Did my first 5k event the other day and no one was running. Way too many people with their kids just walking.

Next time I'll just sign up for a half marathon.

Anyone have advice for a flat footed user? I have orthotics but I'm wondering if my form should be any different from the norm?

I have no advice. I was blessed with normal arches and a neutral gait.

How do I prevent cramps beneath my rib cage area when running? Could this be due to eating

usually friday night or saturday morning. I hate long runs so I try to get it out of the way as soon as I have enough time (not a work-night). If I wait til Sunday I usually just end up skipping it.